Author Topic: 401K pre and post tax  (Read 2211 times)

MM_MG

• Stubble
401K pre and post tax
« on: October 19, 2016, 05:34:17 PM »
As of tomorrow's paycheck, my 401K is fully funded.  The post tax 401K contributions will continue through the end of the year.  I meant to to convert the post tax contributions to a Roth IRA in June/July, but the year has gotten away from me.   Oh well, it feels good to be taking advantage of the "mega backdoor roth" even if I have not actually made the conversion yet.  On the bright side I had told a co-worker about this strategy and he told me he recently completed a conversion.  Nice to know it works. 

Now I just have to figure out what to do with the extra money in the paycheck, we'll probably just save it for our 2017 Roth IRA contributions. 

Slee_stack

• Pencil Stache
Re: 401K pre and post tax
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2016, 01:11:40 PM »
I plan my 401k contributions to reach max at year end and invest everything else post tax throughout the year.

What is the advantage of reaching pre tax maximum early?

MM_MG

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2016, 05:30:20 PM »
Congrats!  The mega backdoor roth is badass!  I wish I had access to one.

Thanks!  I wish I had known about it and was able to take advantage sooner. 

MM_MG

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2016, 05:33:57 PM »
I plan my 401k contributions to reach max at year end and invest everything else post tax throughout the year.

What is the advantage of reaching pre tax maximum early?

Other than getting your money in earlier, I am not aware of any advantage.   I haven't change my % contribution to my pre tax 401K contributions in a few years but with raises it just fully funds earlier now.  My post tax 401K contributions are set to max out at the end of the year.  This allows me to get the employer match every pay period and not wait for the true up.     

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!