Author Topic: 4 Days in Hong Kong! $100  (Read 3880 times)

malacca

• Bristles
4 Days in Hong Kong! $100
« on: February 15, 2019, 08:40:43 AM »
During the most expensive time of the year - Chinese New Year.

I know what some of you are thinking: What kind if crack was he smoking?

Well, we are the ultimate in creative cheapassness. We had four great days in some of the most expensive hotels in the world - with access to the executive lounges, free breakfasts and upgraded rooms. We spend just under $100 or a family of four!

We had some hotel certificates that needed to be used. Of course, best is to use them in an expensive place - and during an expensive time. We booked 3 months ahead and were able to find free nights for all 4 nights. We were flying through Hong Kong anyway on our way back to Taiwan from Malaysia. My wife was able to book the hotels so we thought, why not?

And these are 5 and 6 star hotels - InterContinental Hong Kong / Sheraton Hong Kong / Conrad Hong Kong / Ritz Carlton Hong Kong.

We arrived and took the double decker bus to our first hotel from the airport. It is a 1 hour ride and very scenic. By the time we arrived, the hotel lounge had dinner ready. Of course exec lounges include all you can drink. Free great breakfast buffet (would be $100 for me, wife and two young kids) in the morning as we had a the hotel's credit card. This room would be $1000+ with food and lounge.

Next day walked across the street to the next hotel. Great harbor view room. Great breakfast buffet this time free via our platinum status (came via a credit card). And they had a great lounge. This room would be $1000+ with food and lounge.

Next day moved to Hong Kong island. I had some business to take care of (work - a four letter word). Same deal with free breakfast and lounge. The hotel upgraded us to a huge one bedroom suite. This room would be $1500+ with food and lounge.

Last day we stayed in an unreal hotel. We were on the 115th floor. The lounge was very, very good. They had a very good wine selection. And the whiskey bar was unreal (no whisky for me though) This room would be $1200+ with food and lounge. Our flight was too early so we couldn't try their renowned breakfast buffet. But we did eat at the airport lounge - for free of course via our Priority Pass (another credit card benefit).

We spent money on transportation - Uber, bus and ferries. That's about it. Everything else was free.

Of course we felt bad for the suckers who paid full price for the rooms. I chatted with a mainland Chinese guy who spent 5 days @ $900 per day for just the hotel - no breakfast or lounge. Most of the people staying in the hotels at this time are very wealthy.

In April we have 10 days in five star hotels in Korea. And of course the price is the wonderful number zero.

Well, that is our badass story for the year.

Missy B

• Pencil Stache
Re: 4 Days in Hong Kong! $100
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2019, 06:01:51 PM »
What is a hotel certificate and how did you come by them?

Montecarlo

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2019, 06:51:42 PM »
Wow, very nice!

londonbanker

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2019, 08:58:17 PM »
And how much did you spend on flights (or flights tax if you used miles)? And how much on airport transfers? Did you have all your meals for free during 4days??

Although I still applause you for limiting the spend by making the best of your miles (which were earned spending money I suppose), I am not sure the title of that post is accurate

Catica

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2019, 06:03:38 AM »
How do you get all these certificates? 

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2019, 01:24:45 PM »
And how much did you spend on flights (or flights tax if you used miles)? And how much on airport transfers? Did you have all your meals for free during 4days??

Although I still applause you for limiting the spend by making the best of your miles (which were earned spending money I suppose), I am not sure the title of that post is accurate
Hmmm, how well did you read the first post? Seems like most of your questions were answered before you asked them.

malacca

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2019, 09:41:34 PM »

Your basic credit card churning. IHG, Chase, whatnot. The hotel credit cards often offer a free night each year. Wife handled the booking so I don't have the details.

We keep our points for places where the hotels have low occupancy - like Kuala Lumpur. We get some nights for really low points.

Catica

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2019, 05:00:34 AM »

Your basic credit card churning. IHG, Chase, whatnot. The hotel credit cards often offer a free night each year. Wife handled the booking so I don't have the details.

We keep our points for places where the hotels have low occupancy - like Kuala Lumpur. We get some nights for really low points.
I do that too, have IHG, Chase and never got any certificates.  I can only book using points.  How do you stay at Ritz in Hong Kong with points?

malacca

• Bristles
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2019, 10:09:03 AM »
When you get certain cards they come with one free night per year.

During this super peak period it is nearly impossible to book with points. And even with a cert you have to do it way in advance.

Wife handles the details.

malacca

• Bristles
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2019, 02:16:53 PM »
Well, given what is happening in Hong Kong now we are glad we got in the visit when we did!

EliteZags

• Bristles
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2019, 12:03:17 PM »
you can blow $100 in an hour or so in Hong Kong, Tijuana

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!