Author Topic: 375 square feet, two adults, one cat  (Read 30366 times)

greaper007

• Handlebar Stache
Re: 375 square feet, two adults, one cat
« Reply #50 on: April 14, 2014, 09:30:07 PM »
Where do you guys keep your tools?    My 2 car garage has a hard time containing my tools, gardening equipment, brewing equipment, bicycles etc.    that stuff saves me tons of money.    I rarely use a mechanic (only for hybrid specific stuff), never used a repairman, grow lots of food, and save $100 a batch on beer.

I think it would cost me more than I save with a space like that.

The beauty of a small space is that you don't need many tools.  You don't have space for brewing equipment, etc.

I've lived like that, and I found it ended up costing me more money than having a big place in the burbs.   My stuff really isn't just useless accumulation, it all has a purpose.    I make our furniture, brew to save lots of money (it's past a simple joyful hobby at this point).

Granted, my wife and I have generally had non-traditional work situations where we drove way less than the average person so it made sense not to live near an expensive part of the city.    YMMV

I'd love to downsize when the kids leave, but right now I love the extra space and I don't find that 2700 sq ft costs us more than our 400 sq ft apt did.

samburger

• Bristles
« Reply #51 on: April 15, 2014, 10:22:09 AM »
Re brewing equipment: I have no problem finding space for this, but we somehow have a bunch of unused space in our 375 sq feet.

Re tools: We have access to a workshop co-op in our city for things like furniture building and large metal-working projects. It's a great way to take up space-consuming hobbies without having to pay for a large space we don't otherwise need.

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #52 on: April 15, 2014, 04:41:41 PM »
The smallest space I lived in with 2 people was 869 sf condo but then my hubby had to store his tools etc at his Mom's. We now have 1400 sf with a 1 car garage & shed which is just right. If I was alone I could go back to the condo. I think a lot depends on hobbies, etc & how much of a packrat your spouse is.

Roland of Gilead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #53 on: April 15, 2014, 04:52:46 PM »
I am starting to get the feeling that our 5600sqft house for 2 adults no kids no pets is a bit on the large side :-(

I want one of those little, easy to heat spaces!

edit: But where do you put your 4' x 8' cnc  gantry mill with 100 watt CO2 laser cutter accessory head?

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #54 on: April 15, 2014, 04:55:22 PM »
Forgot to mention we have 3 little dogs & babysit my son's 2- 75lb dogs too. I would say that is a lot of space for 2 people. I would not want to clean or heat it.

Melody

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #55 on: April 15, 2014, 05:00:19 PM »
I used to live in 375SQFT, which was fantastic, although a tiny bit awkward when boyfriend came to stay - not absolute size, but not having a separate bedroom to shut out noise and light. This square footage with a separate bedroom would have easily worked for 2 people. There was a porch on which you could store your bike.

Sunflower

• Stubble
« Reply #56 on: April 15, 2014, 07:07:02 PM »

Ha ha you and me both! Ikea would love my place.

I'm assuming now you are looking at my blog photos since you see where the TV is :) If you are looking at the picture where you can see the front of the white couch and ottoman, then the front door is right behind the photographer. If you are looking at the photo where you can see the TV, then the front door is to the right, just out of frame. So when you walk into the apartment, on your right you enter the living room. Directly in front of you is a small coat closet. Then on your left is the walk-through closet which leads to the bathroom.

One of the main things I like about the way I have my apartment decorated is that all of the photos I have in frames are ones I've taken. No purchasing Target or Bed Bath and Beyond mass-produced wall art! I figure my originality in this area makes up for the love I have for Ikea :)

My friends think I should enter the next round of Apartment Therapy's "Small Cool" contest. I just might!

Ah ok, I'm totally jealous - that's where I want the front door to be in our little studio but alas....

You should totally enter the small cool contest. :-)

greaper007

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #57 on: April 15, 2014, 09:21:17 PM »
Re brewing equipment: I have no problem finding space for this, but we somehow have a bunch of unused space in our 375 sq feet.

Re tools: We have access to a workshop co-op in our city for things like furniture building and large metal-working projects. It's a great way to take up space-consuming hobbies without having to pay for a large space we don't otherwise need.

Nice, I looked for a community workshop but could only find bike related places.   How much is the co-op a month?    I've seen some really outrageous prices for some maker type places around the country.   Though you do get access to some really nice equipment.   

Still, having access to all your own stuff in the garage that you can use at anytime is nice.   And I've been able to build up my tool collection over the course of 15 years so the costs are really spread out.   It's especially nice when my car is in pieces and I can't figure out how to get it back together.    I'd hate to have it stuck somewhere across town where I'd have to go back and fourth to work on it.

oldtoyota

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #58 on: April 15, 2014, 11:06:14 PM »
Wow, guys. You all are amazing!

We live in 1,000+ sq ft. It's way more than we need. My main beef is that it's laid out in a way that makes it hard to entertain. I might take the idea from another of you to have people over in the summer. However, we're usually at the community pool during the summer as are most of the people we'd invite over to our house!

oldtoyota

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #59 on: April 15, 2014, 11:07:30 PM »
I am starting to get the feeling that our 5600sqft house for 2 adults no kids no pets is a bit on the large side :-(

edit: But where do you put your 4' x 8' cnc  gantry mill with 100 watt CO2 laser cutter accessory head?

What really puzzles me about this thread is where you all are housing the household staff...

samburger

• Bristles
« Reply #60 on: April 16, 2014, 06:30:56 AM »

What really puzzles me about this thread is where you all are housing the household staff...

In the east wing. What's so puzzling about that?

Roland of Gilead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #61 on: April 16, 2014, 06:35:14 AM »

Nah, we closed off the east wing to save on heating.  Actually we covered the indoor pool in an effort to mold ourselves after MMM.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #62 on: April 16, 2014, 11:58:30 AM »

Nice, I looked for a community workshop but could only find bike related places.   How much is the co-op a month?    I've seen some really outrageous prices for some maker type places around the country.   Though you do get access to some really nice equipment.   

Still, having access to all your own stuff in the garage that you can use at anytime is nice.   And I've been able to build up my tool collection over the course of 15 years so the costs are really spread out.   It's especially nice when my car is in pieces and I can't figure out how to get it back together.    I'd hate to have it stuck somewhere across town where I'd have to go back and fourth to work on it.

There are co-ops in the SF
 that run around $100/mo.  That's like 1/35 of the average 1-br apartment, so it could make sense (although I don't currently have enough free time to justify the expense)
« Last Edit: April 16, 2014, 12:18:18 PM by dragoncar »

greaper007

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #63 on: April 16, 2014, 12:55:30 PM »
 that run around $100/mo.  That's like 1/35 of the average 1-br apartment, so it could make sense (although I don't currently have enough free time to justify the expense)

Ahh, not bad for SF I guess.   Still, I generally don't spend $1200 a year on tools.   All together I've probably spent about $5000-$7000 over the past 15 years, so I think I'm still ahead with a house with a garage.    Though I don't live in SF, and as the father of school age children the suburbs really seem to make the most sense for us from a financial perspective (we only occasionally commute to Denver).

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #64 on: April 16, 2014, 02:54:09 PM »

Ahh, not bad for SF I guess.   Still, I generally don't spend $1200 a year on tools.   All together I've probably spent about $5000-$7000 over the past 15 years, so I think I'm still ahead with a house with a garage.    Though I don't live in SF, and as the father of school age children the suburbs really seem to make the most sense for us from a financial perspective (we only occasionally commute to Denver).

It wouldn't be about tool cost, it would be about storage space.  Plus, they have a "hardship" option for $40 -- not sure what that entails.  For tools themselves, there are also pretty cheap tool libraries.

Roland of Gilead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #65 on: April 16, 2014, 02:59:26 PM »
If I could have a do-over and we were not planning on traveling in an RV, I would buy a plot of land (maybe 2 to 5 acres) and put a 40x50 steel building on it ($20,000?).  I would then park my RV in one corner of the building and live in that while keeping all of my tools and such in the rest of the area.  From the outside it would just look like a nice big workshop but from the inside you would have a living space plus a huge work area, all dry and out of the weather.  The RV would not need much maintenance since it was sheltered.

Taxes would be almost non-existent since you really just have some cheap land and a outbuilding that is not heated and so doesn't count as a residence.  Maybe you would pay $400 a year in real estate tax?

If we had done this years ago I bet we would be just as happy and about $600,000 richer.

greaper007

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #66 on: April 16, 2014, 07:35:21 PM »

It wouldn't be about tool cost, it would be about storage space.  Plus, they have a "hardship" option for $40 -- not sure what that entails.  For tools themselves, there are also pretty cheap tool libraries.

If I was single in my early 20s that might be a good option.   Now that I'm married with 2 kids things change.   We pay $400 a month more for a mortgage than we did for rent on a small home in the city.   Really though, we're paying for a fantastic school system and a neighborhood that doesn't have a bunch of meth heads asking for change.    That gets old when you're trying to spend time with your kids in the park.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #67 on: April 16, 2014, 08:02:01 PM »

If I was single in my early 20s that might be a good option.   Now that I'm married with 2 kids things change.   We pay $400 a month more for a mortgage than we did for rent on a small home in the city.   Really though, we're paying for a fantastic school system and a neighborhood that doesn't have a bunch of meth heads asking for change.    That gets old when you're trying to spend time with your kids in the park.

Makes see if SF are cheap - in San Francisco, it's not worth the $1k/SF to store any but Thomson compact tools

greaper007

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #68 on: April 16, 2014, 08:12:22 PM »
Yeah, I couldn't see myself living in SF without a combined income north of $400k.    It's a great town, but housing is just way too expensive for everyone but tech startups.    I've lived all over the country and I've come to the conclusion that just about everywhere is the same.   Two of my favorite bars in the country reside in Cleveland Heights, OH and Rochester NY.

oldtoyota

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #69 on: April 17, 2014, 02:41:10 PM »

I am so embarrassed! I was using the downstairs all this time. I'll switch to the east wing.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #70 on: April 17, 2014, 02:53:42 PM »
Yeah, I couldn't see myself living in SF without a combined income north of $400k.    It's a great town, but housing is just way too expensive for everyone but tech startups.    I've lived all over the country and I've come to the conclusion that just about everywhere is the same.   Two of my favorite bars in the country reside in Cleveland Heights, OH and Rochester NY.

Really, starrtups don't even pay that much.  I think you usually take a pay cut with the hope of winning the equity lottery.

Also: my previous post had typos from my phones autocorrect.  I do not advocate Thompson brand tools, I meant "the most compact"

SingleMomDebt

« Reply #71 on: June 24, 2014, 09:59:17 PM »
KatieSSS - love your place! Especially the IKEA divider.

Everyone's photos show lots of light. I would think that definitely helps to make it livable and non-small feeling.
I am feeling guilty in my almost 1000sq ft apartment. Yet, I'm always getting rid of stuff to live minimally.

I  do look forward to downsizing in structural space, when I decide to move to the mountains, but am hoping to find a great outdoor space to utilize for lounging.

BigBigote

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #72 on: June 25, 2014, 02:33:22 AM »
We moved from a house to an apartment, and my husband didn't want to give up brewing and has moved to brewing gallon batches which has worked great!  In terms of space, it only takes up a kitchen cabinet to store everything he needs and he likes that it's much easier to get things to the right temperatures than with bigger batches.

We're 2 people in an ~820sf apartment right now, so not badass at all... I have much to learn from those of you with small spaces and doing it in style!

catccc

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #73 on: June 25, 2014, 08:30:43 AM »
When we were a family of 3 (2 adults, one baby), we lived in 399 sqft.  It was so easy to clean.  But there were some compromises.  Like always having to do chores in a certain order- dishes washed (no dishwasher) first so the sink was empty and ready for the "portable" washing machine to wash cloth diapers.  But it worked for us for 2 years! 

Funny, as soon as we found out we were expecting, my first thought was, "aww, we'll have to leave this apt.!"  But having a small place ended up being a great excuse to deny "gifts" like swings, pack n plays, and various other baby crap I deemed unnecessary.

apfroggy0408

• Stubble
« Reply #74 on: June 25, 2014, 10:30:41 AM »
Lots of good stuff in here!

I currently share a 1200 sq ft 3br/2ba house with 2 other roommates which was a downsize from living on my own in a 2400 sq ft behemoth of a house! We all have too much crap  but make it work with the kitchen being the biggest difficulty. I have the smallest room as I moved in with them after they got the house but I've found that I have too much crap and am not as much of a minimalist as I thought and I can live perfectly well in a small place. The backyard we have is great for grilling and entertaining the occasional friends. Although when my parents visited they stayed in a hotel because they didn't want to be cramped, but we could have made it work had they wanted.

I'm working on getting rid of a bunch of stuff that I don't need because I don't use anymore. I have guns that I won't let go but a few RC cars from my college hobby that just isn't as exciting to me anymore.

My biggest thing is needing/wanting a place to do some grilling! I love my big green egg and is actually very small for a grill footprint.

When I plan on settling down somewhere I plan on building a small eco friendly house on a small plot of land. Enough to live comfortably in and enough for the occasional get together with loved ones outside.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2014, 10:39:04 AM by apfroggy0408 »

littleone

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #75 on: June 29, 2014, 08:47:45 AM »
I just put an offer on a small home in a nice part of town, it is a whopping 530sf! Hopefully, everything will go smoothly as I am a first time buyer. It will definitely help me get to FI much, much faster than going the traditional route that everyone else takes. I will post pics if I end up making the deal!

Joggernot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #76 on: June 29, 2014, 09:13:03 AM »
I find it interesting that my wife and I and two kids lived in 826 ft2 while the kids grew up, but when they got married with no kids, they each had to have a house with 2400 ft2.  Guess they think they have to have a minimum "because they deserve it".  :(

Spartana

« Reply #77 on: June 29, 2014, 04:09:24 PM »
Way to go Samburger! I love small spaces but currently live in 1000 sf (plus 2 car garage) alone about 75% of the time (sister lives here on weekends). I only use the smallest bedroom, a tiny closet, and almost no cabinet space in the kitchen so consider myself living "small" and have very minimal stuff. My sister on the other hand, has the master bedroom, the 3 rd bedroom, and 1/2 the garage - all filled floor to ceiling with her crap (I actually park my car in my half of the garage) plus her outdoor crap and toys (kayaks) in the big back yard. My dream would be a tiny studio apt in the heart of a small city. Close enough to everything so I can walk or bike and be car-free.  Of course the advantage of living here with my sister is we own the place, it's paid off, and only costs us each about $300 or so each month for utilities, taxes and insurance.   For that price I can put up with living in a larger space!
« Last Edit: June 29, 2014, 04:19:40 PM by Spartana »

Stagleton

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #78 on: June 29, 2014, 07:30:00 PM »
0 sq ft, 180 sq ft with 2 "adults", or 15 sq ft with 4 "adults"  boom!

I'm renting out my 2 apartments and working offshore as much as possible, then I'm heading on a road trip from London-Mongolia....I am not sure if I am homeless or living at my girlfriend's place which is 180 sq ft or living in 15 sq ft when I begin driving with 3 other dudes in a nissan micra

I think I will soon hate small spaces, but 375 sq ft is HUGE in my opinion. y'all need to downsize

« Last Edit: June 29, 2014, 07:37:17 PM by Stagleton »

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #79 on: June 29, 2014, 08:33:53 PM »
375 sq ft is HUGE in my opinion. y'all need to downsize

It's a good point. The wife and I are in 400 sq.ft., but we're planning on downsizing when we have a kid and FIRE in two years.

(True story.)

;)
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Melody

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #80 on: July 14, 2014, 07:34:00 AM »
About to move to a one bed apt...probally not even small by some.of these standards, but i am measuring it tommorrow so i will post measurementents then. Have felt simultanously liberated and overwhelmed decluttering  :-) (curently sharing a large two bed with a friend... Really large for a two bed we have a formal dining room, store room and a huge bedroom each plus kitchen, lounge, washroom etc.so while i am not as bad ass as all of you it stills feels like a big step in the right direction.

acroy

• Handlebar Stache
    • SWAMI
« Reply #81 on: July 14, 2014, 11:25:54 AM »
Ya'll are awesome
We have 2,000 sq ft, 2car garage. 5kids.
Living small by conventional standards
Living large by Mustachian standards!!

Melody

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #82 on: July 15, 2014, 08:21:04 AM »
Measured up 36sqm or 390sq ft! I feel bad ass now!

RyanHesson

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #83 on: July 15, 2014, 09:13:11 AM »
How does one find a 375 sqft apartment? I guess it's just market dependent, but the smallest 2 bedroom (one roommate, needed a 2 bedroom) we could find was 970 sqft or something like that, which is where we live now. It's still bigger than we need, we hardly use the living room at all. Certainly can make use out of more than 375 sqft but I don't think it's necessary.

Anyone just had problems finding small apartments? It might just be where I live because wages are high in the area and poverty is practically non-existent.

Melody

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #84 on: July 15, 2014, 05:21:57 PM »
I think you can find small spaces anywhere, not just super big cities.
Here, older apartments are often smaller, so any area with apartments built in the 50s or 60s could work. On Apartment Therapy small apartments are often garage apartments next to normal houses allowing you to find a small space in suburbia.  But for me this isn't so much about living small but about about liking the apartment and it being a price I can afford. Obviously I don't want to live in a McMansion by myself, but 2x the square footage would also be fine and not leave me feeling lost in space. So if you're getting a good deal on your rent don't worry.

RyanHesson

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #85 on: July 15, 2014, 06:55:13 PM »
Here, older apartments are often smaller, so any area with apartments built in the 50s or 60s could work. On Apartment Therapy small apartments are often garage apartments next to normal houses allowing you to find a small space in suburbia.  But for me this isn't so much about living small but about about liking the apartment and it being a price I can afford. Obviously I don't want to live in a McMansion by myself, but 2x the square footage would also be fine and not leave me feeling lost in space. So if you're getting a good deal on your rent don't worry.

It feels like I'm paying for stuff I don't want or need. I just don't have a better option. Our living room is the smallest we could find, but it's still bigger than we have any use for. We could cut 200 sqft out of this apartment and still be just as well off. If that would mean a 20% reduction in rent I'd take it.

There's nothing here built before 2000 pretty much, other than some houses which are over 100 years old.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!