Author Topic: 375 square feet, two adults, one cat  (Read 30364 times)

samburger

• Bristles
375 square feet, two adults, one cat
« on: March 18, 2014, 12:59:02 PM »
My wife and I moved into a 375 square foot apartment a few weeks ago, and I'm loving it.

It was the first apartment we looked at, and we knew we wanted it immediately: the neighborhood is stunning and walkable, the Art Deco building has been beautifully maintained, and there's no room for unnecessary stuff.

It hit us all at once that we already aggressively minimize spending on things that don't enrich our lives. Why move into a big space we'd resent having to furnish? Why have space for stuff when we don't buy stuff?

We've been here for three weeks, unpacked for two weeks, and we're totally sold on small spaces as a permanent solution. It doesn't hurt that our housing budget goes a lot further with small spaces, too.

Who else is in a tiny space?

Elaine

• Bristles
    • Small Things Good
Re: 375 square feet, two adults, one cat
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2014, 01:00:12 PM »
Me! 475 sq feet for two adults and one kitty. I love it.

MissStache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2014, 01:13:40 PM »
That's awesome!  375 sounds so small, but I'm about to move into 600 and I actually think it may be too big! 

Is there anything that you thought you wouldn't be able to live without but have found to be unnecessary?

samburger

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2014, 04:15:07 PM »
Is there anything that you thought you wouldn't be able to live without but have found to be unnecessary?

I'm shocked by how little kitchen storage we really need. So much of our old kitchen was filled with rarely used cookware, unnecessary repeats (who needs 6 sauce pans?), and expired food/food we're never going to eat. We need about 1/4 of the kitchen I thought we needed.

Willbrewer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2014, 04:47:16 PM »
Good for you Samburger. I've been living in an 8 x 26 travel trailer for the last three years. I think it's nice and cozy, easy to keep clean, and just an overall great cheapskate way to go. And I mean "go" in more ways than one.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2014, 05:34:51 PM »

I'm shocked by how little kitchen storage we really need. So much of our old kitchen was filled with rarely used cookware, unnecessary repeats (who needs 6 sauce pans?), and expired food/food we're never going to eat. We need about 1/4 of the kitchen I thought we needed.

Similar realization from me.  Now I'm just bummed at the sunk costs of my cookware stored in my parents basement.  I'm sure I'll use it again someday, and it's certainly not worth selling at this point.  But still, I use two pans for all my cooking.

James

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2014, 06:54:48 PM »
My wife and I talk about this once the kids are out, can wait! Great to hear it is working well!

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2014, 06:57:46 PM »
700 sqft, two adults, three kids. Yes we have a basement and yard, but we could easily adapt to ~500 sqft or less in a well designed space with zero impact on our happiness.

I'll +1 the minimal kitchen clutter. I am still reducing my stuff and use less and less despite getting more and more into cooking.

Not being into TV does wonders for freeing up space. Small couch, coffee tables are dumb, etc.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2014, 06:50:50 AM »
416 sq. ft., 2 adults, 2 cats, 1 snake.

It's way too much space for us and we own way too much crap.  We're definitely downsizing when we have a kid.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

uspsfanalan

• Stubble
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2014, 10:36:30 AM »
That sounds awesome. Especially the part about downsizing the kitchen.

My wife works for an appliance company so we sometimes get fancy things to test. The most recent food processor has a ton of parts that come with it. This thing retails for about $700, no wonder people with fancy tastes "need" a huge home.

Do you have any space consuming hobbies? If so how are you dealing with those? 300 sq ft would work for me and my wife if we had a garage for our tools and bikes. My next home will be no bigger than 600 sq ft.

NumberCruncher

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2014, 10:50:41 AM »
respect. :)

Used to live in an almost-300 sqft apartment with my husband.

In most of these cases, you must be talking about a mobile home, custom-made one, or apartment/condo, yes? We'd eventually like to own a home, but it seems like the majority out there for sale are just huge (and we're wary of condos with their condo fees...).

John89

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2014, 01:22:49 PM »
I don't know square footage, but me, wife, 2 daughters (both <2 years) and 1 cat are now in a 1bed/1 bath apartment.  The living room is bigger than we need, so we installed a floor to ceiling curtain to section off a space for our toddler.  Before the girls were born, we  lived in a 4 bed/2 bath house with an attic and 2 car garage that crammed full of belongings that we didn't need or use and I wanted to punch myself in the face every day.   We still own the house and with the rental income and money saved, will be able to pay off the mortgage in <5 years instead of 30.   Eventually we may need a 2nd bedroom, but until we really NEED it, we will save and invest the extra cash.

naturelover

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2014, 07:29:17 PM »
All of you guys posting your small square footages are true badasses! I'm suddenly feeling all luxurious in my 800 sq ft 2BR house (for 2 adults and 50lb dog) even though it's the smallest house of anyone I know. It's an old house (1940) and could stand to be laid out a little more efficiently, but I love having a small space.

EK

• Pencil Stache
    • Happily Enough
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2014, 08:17:39 PM »
Small spaces are the best!  We just moved out of a way too big rental house (like 2500 sq ft) into a  ~1100 sq ft house, and the house still is luxuriously big for 3 adults (me, husband, roommate), 2 cats, 1 dog.   It also comfortably houses a large book collection, a piano, and a not-small array of crafting supplies.  The only thing I miss from the big house is having a space ready for friends & family to visit.  But they visit anyways. 

My husband and my first place together was an apartment that certainly wasn't more than 500 sq feet and even that was more than we really needed (especially looking back- that was in our pre-mustachian days when we had a ton of junk).  I love how small spaces force you to evaluate what you really need, and I really really love how quick and easy it is to clean a small space compared to a large one.

spoonman

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2014, 09:44:13 PM »
375 sqft!  That definitely gets you street cred.

600 sqft for 2 adults...it's a mansion by comparison =).  Moving from a 1100 sqft condo with a garage to a 1 bedroom apartment forced us to get rid of nearly 75% of our stuff, most of which was pure junk.

chops

• Stubble
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2014, 02:32:11 PM »
500 square feet here for two adults.   It's amazingly freeing to leave a larger living space and downsize.  Wish I had done it sooner

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2014, 03:47:54 PM »
Second the question on space dependent hobbies.  Do your bikes have to sleep outside?  And tools that one should have but would suck to go barrow twice per year; are you living small by others supplying the rarely needed junk of modern life?  Do you ever want to do something or take up a hobby but cant because of a lack of space? 

me + roommate - 1000sqft condo, 2bed/1bath.  seems fine.  but would love a garage.  actually second bedroom was empty for about a year.

I could see a micro house being 100% awesome in lots of ways.  Until I wanted to try home brewing but did not have the storage space.  Or does this make you clean out old failed/abandoned hobbies?

FuckRx

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2014, 05:23:33 PM »

200 sqft. no kitchen but a bathroom. i'm in love with the place.

kkbmustang

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2014, 10:16:16 PM »
416 sq. ft., 2 adults, 2 cats, 1 snake.

It's way too much space for us and we own way too much crap.  We're definitely downsizing when we have a kid.

I'm totally intrigued by these tiny spaces. I'd love to see interior pics if you're willing to share.

kkbmustang

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2014, 10:22:41 PM »

That's great. Where's the bed? Fold out couch?

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2014, 10:48:17 PM »

That's great. Where's the bed? Fold out couch?

Looks like "sleep on couch/daybed".  I think those pillows can be removed/rearranged (West Elm?)

edit: yup http://www.westelm.com/products/tillary-2-sofa-sectional-h068/
« Last Edit: March 20, 2014, 10:50:00 PM by dragoncar »

FuckRx

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2014, 10:50:32 PM »
the sofa doubles as a bed to sleep on...
nothing to pull out... the cushions are heavy duty, i just put them on the ground and sleep on top...
very comfy...

Ian

• Bristles
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2014, 11:17:43 PM »
I'm one person in 270 square feet. It feels a little too small, though I could probably improve it if I laid things out better. Living here has confirmed that I'll probably never need more than 500 square feet.

Scottishsteph

« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2014, 10:18:24 AM »
We (2 adults, 1 child) live in a 500sqft flat. It feels more spacious than the cottage we moved from (700sqft) as it it much better designed. It has 3 built in cupboards, a small kitchen and bathroom, 2 good size bedrooms and a living room. Really it is the perfect size for us and we have no extra storage space.
It does have a small garden which is great as I can get clothes dry quickly on the line on a nice day.

I have had to be very ruthless about decluttering as things like books have a tendency to breed when you're not looking.

Where we live is one of the most expensive areas in Britain so I didn't want to be paying for unnecessary space.

samburger

• Bristles
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2014, 07:09:04 PM »
Second the question on space dependent hobbies.  Do your bikes have to sleep outside?  And tools that one should have but would suck to go barrow twice per year; are you living small by others supplying the rarely needed junk of modern life?  Do you ever want to do something or take up a hobby but cant because of a lack of space? 

me + roommate - 1000sqft condo, 2bed/1bath.  seems fine.  but would love a garage.  actually second bedroom was empty for about a year.

I could see a micro house being 100% awesome in lots of ways.  Until I wanted to try home brewing but did not have the storage space.  Or does this make you clean out old failed/abandoned hobbies?

Bikes get hung on the wall, like the art they are. Ditto all our instruments. Our camping gear (tent, sleeping bags, hammocks, etc.) lives in the trunk of my car.

My wife is an artist, painting and sculpting, so we have a ton of art stuff. She works at our big multi-purpose table, clears it off and stores it in the closet when she's done. Pieces in progress get a place on the shelf.

Really, we own very little stuff. Our tiny bit of storage space goes a really long way because we… don't really store anything? We each have a small box of momentos--photos and tokens and childhood miscellany--and everything else in our storage is practical. If we don't use it all the time, we clear it out (which can be brutally hard to do when you really, really want to think of yourself as someone who does X hobby…!).

spoonman

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2014, 09:07:45 PM »
@FuckRx: Holy macro!  That is some raw housing badassity. 

Sunflower

• Stubble
« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2014, 09:20:05 PM »
We're two adults in 400 sq ft. It's plenty of room (lots of closet space is key!) but I'd still like it a whole lot better if it was laid out a little differently, if it got a little more light, and if there was any sort of outdoor space to use. :-)

nikki

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2014, 09:25:36 PM »
One person and a cat here, in about 275 sq. ft. This number is from my own measuring I just did with a measuring tape, so give or take a few.

That seems really small when it's put in a number like that! But really it feels luxuriously spacious. It's a beautiful home, and we're totally happy here. It doesn't hurt that we're coming from an even smaller apartment without a sunroom (I did calculate the sunroom space!), which housed another person for three months last year.

EDIT: Added pictures!

Not pictured: bathroom and front entry, which has a closet for shoes and tons of extra storage. Sunroom also not really pictured--it has suitcases, my cat's carrier, a big foam mattress pad, an electric fan, and my cat's bed (and cat, right now). Having the sunroom really makes my space seem bigger because those bulky items I'm not using at the moment are hidden away. From my view, anyway--I'm sure neighbors can see them ;-)

« Last Edit: March 21, 2014, 09:36:51 PM by nikki »

meadow lark

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2014, 11:15:31 AM »
FuckRx - I am in love with your kitchen.  That is so cool.
Everyone - thank you for reminding me how extravagant my 1000 sq ft house for 3 adults and 3 dogs really is.  I am so not the minimalist I think I am!

FuckRx

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #29 on: March 22, 2014, 11:48:28 AM »

thanks for the pics...
i like how simple ur furniture is...
cool place

hybrid

• Handlebar Stache
  • A hybrid of MMM and thoughtful consumer.
« Reply #30 on: March 24, 2014, 01:10:16 PM »
I would love to try out a small home for a month. Our rancher is not in the least bit small, and truth be told I rather like it that way. I sometimes wonder if I would like this even better though.

A few questions for the small house crowd, how do you handle entertaining and/or company? Any issues with privacy having just one bath?

Is your 400 SF 20 X 20 or more like 14 X 28?  Which is the better layout, square or rectangle? 

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #31 on: March 24, 2014, 01:22:48 PM »
A few questions for the small house crowd, how do you handle entertaining and/or company? Any issues with privacy having just one bath?

Is your 400 SF 20 X 20 or more like 14 X 28?  Which is the better layout, square or rectangle?

Our kitchen can handle (cramped) six people. We're going to knock down the wall separating it and the living room one day, but we try to do most of our entertaining in the summer when it's grilling season.

Privacy with kids in the bathroom? Hah! You jest!

As far as layout goes, I would say rectangle. If I were to build a tiny house from scratch, it would be linear in design. Kitchen-->living-->bed/bathroom. Square space requires more partitioning, which wastes raw footage. Rectangular spaces can be kept more open, with minimal dividers.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #32 on: March 24, 2014, 01:44:31 PM »
One person and a cat here, in about 275 sq. ft. This number is from my own measuring I just did with a measuring tape, so give or take a few.

That seems really small when it's put in a number like that! But really it feels luxuriously spacious. It's a beautiful home, and we're totally happy here. It doesn't hurt that we're coming from an even smaller apartment without a sunroom (I did calculate the sunroom space!), which housed another person for three months last year.

EDIT: Added pictures!

Not pictured: bathroom and front entry, which has a closet for shoes and tons of extra storage. Sunroom also not really pictured--it has suitcases, my cat's carrier, a big foam mattress pad, an electric fan, and my cat's bed (and cat, right now). Having the sunroom really makes my space seem bigger because those bulky items I'm not using at the moment are hidden away. From my view, anyway--I'm sure neighbors can see them ;-)

Nice -- for some reason I think it's funny the washing machine is below the stove?

kkbmustang

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #33 on: March 24, 2014, 05:48:51 PM »

Did I see you post about looking for a roommate in another thread? In another place or your current one? Because two strangers in 200 sf?

Sunflower

• Stubble
« Reply #34 on: March 24, 2014, 06:03:43 PM »
I would love to try out a small home for a month. Our rancher is not in the least bit small, and truth be told I rather like it that way. I sometimes wonder if I would like this even better though.

Our 400 sq ft is more like 20x20 and I think it would work a lot better if it was more of a rectangle....or if the door and closet switched places so the only open wall wasn't right against the window.  I would really love to do something like this http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/before-amp-after-mauras-smart-studio-sleeping-solution-201581 but can't because of the square shape (it would block the window and the apartment's already dark enough!).

We do have people over sometimes and there's plenty of seating: up to 4 in the 'living room' area and 3 more chairs at the table and desk. We couldn't have a bunch of people wandering around but if everyone's sitting and having a drink it's fine.

As for privacy....there isn't much. :-)

abhe8

• Bristles
« Reply #35 on: March 24, 2014, 08:10:50 PM »
our last house was 820 sq feet with 3 kids, 1 man and 1 very pregnant woman. :) i loved our cosy home! we ran out of space for our bikes (and trailers) in the carport shed but i missed a big yard the most. for many reasons we now have a big house and a big yard...but i look forward to moving on to a very (VERY) big yard and back to a small house. i swear the stuff breeds around here.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #36 on: March 25, 2014, 09:17:13 AM »
I love this! I am looking for a place of my own but now realize that I should scale back my plans, the more I think about the more I realize that having a lot of space just means that I am going to be inclined to fill it.

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #37 on: March 25, 2014, 06:56:12 PM »
Murphy's Law of Junk: stuff expands to fill the space allowed.

eliandjax1

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #38 on: April 11, 2014, 11:38:30 AM »
Approx 275 sqft late model travel trailer. 2 adults 2 boys 7 &3 2 large dogs and 1 ittybitty dog. Downsized from 2800sqft house. Size has not been much of an issue but we do utilize and enjoy outdoor space!

Btw my first post on forum... done a lot of forum stalking tho ;)

KatieSSS

• Bristles
  • "Because of your badassity, babe!" - My GoudaMan
« Reply #39 on: April 11, 2014, 01:24:01 PM »
I live alone in a little less than 400 sq. ft. Not sure of the exact measurements, but it is somewhere between 375-400 sq. ft. It is a studio with a separate kitchen and bathroom. I love the space, but if I was building something that was 400 square feet it would look more like this: https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/898771?af=1726391&c=direct_link

Instead, mine is more of a box shape with some inefficient kitchen storage. Solving the inherent problems of the layout/design is actually really fun, though!

ETA: I pulled the photos directly from my blog, which maybe 5 people read! http://singlesimplestudio.blogspot.com/

MissStache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #40 on: April 11, 2014, 02:10:32 PM »
This is so pretty, KatieSSS!  I love how you used the honeycomb bookcase to divide the space but still let the light from the window in to the living room!

KatieSSS

• Bristles
« Reply #41 on: April 11, 2014, 02:33:26 PM »
This is so pretty, KatieSSS!  I love how you used the honeycomb bookcase to divide the space but still let the light from the window in to the living room!

Yep, that's the best part! Ikea Expedit shelving, a wonderful invention. I have quite a few Ikea pieces...not sure if I should be ashamed that I'm an Ikea groupie or happy that I didn't shop at super-expensive Pottery Barn or West Elm.  Making my space "my own" and decorating it is my biggest non-mustachian vice. The good thing about a small space is that once I got a few key bigger pieces, then I haven't had to spend much else because there's just not enough space for stuff!

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
  • Expat Brit living in the New World..:)
« Reply #42 on: April 11, 2014, 03:55:16 PM »
One of my rentals is 333sq ft.. I wish I had 10 of them.. I can rent these out like there is no tomorrow!

Usually to a single guy that is or has gone through a divorce.

Frank

CarDude

• Pencil Stache
  • Beep Beep!
    • The CCD
« Reply #43 on: April 11, 2014, 07:08:04 PM »
Murphy's Law of Junk: stuff expands to fill the space allowed.

Truth here.

Sunflower

• Stubble
« Reply #44 on: April 12, 2014, 12:06:18 PM »
KatieSSS - I love your little apartment!

I have questions though - where is the front door, bathroom, and walkthrough closet area?? My apartment is a similar size and the bed also sits against the one window and points towards the kitchen. The little dining area is even along the same little wall space (yes, I obsessively compared your pictures to my apartment). Sadly....my front door seems to be where your tv is which really limits furniture arrangements. We moved everything around last month and it feels a little better but definitely still a work in progress. :-)

Also, we are totally also Ikea groupies! It's cheap AND has a better selection of things designed for small spaces. I keep joking that we should ask for them to come do a photo shoot for their next catalogue.

Katnina

• Stubble
  • 33 & happily retired!
« Reply #45 on: April 14, 2014, 01:31:41 AM »
Congrats on the new digs!  My husband and I live in a 525 sq ft studio apartment with our two tiny dogs.  We try to enforce a one-in-one-out policy to keep the apartment from getting overrun with stuff.  So if I buy a new pair of shoes, I donate (or throw out if totally worn through & not repairable) a pair.  If I buy new sheets to replace old ripped ones, I donate the ripped ones to the shelter where we got our dogs (they are always in need of soft bedding for the shelter animals).
We almost never buy books.  We use the library which is 2 blocks away instead.  There is also a free lending library in the laundry room of our apartment building, and I sometimes leave books I no longer want there for my neighbors to read.

KatieSSS

• Bristles
« Reply #46 on: April 14, 2014, 11:25:56 AM »
KatieSSS - I love your little apartment!

I have questions though - where is the front door, bathroom, and walkthrough closet area?? My apartment is a similar size and the bed also sits against the one window and points towards the kitchen. The little dining area is even along the same little wall space (yes, I obsessively compared your pictures to my apartment). Sadly....my front door seems to be where your tv is which really limits furniture arrangements. We moved everything around last month and it feels a little better but definitely still a work in progress. :-)

Also, we are totally also Ikea groupies! It's cheap AND has a better selection of things designed for small spaces. I keep joking that we should ask for them to come do a photo shoot for their next catalogue.

Ha ha you and me both! Ikea would love my place.

I'm assuming now you are looking at my blog photos since you see where the TV is :) If you are looking at the picture where you can see the front of the white couch and ottoman, then the front door is right behind the photographer. If you are looking at the photo where you can see the TV, then the front door is to the right, just out of frame. So when you walk into the apartment, on your right you enter the living room. Directly in front of you is a small coat closet. Then on your left is the walk-through closet which leads to the bathroom.

One of the main things I like about the way I have my apartment decorated is that all of the photos I have in frames are ones I've taken. No purchasing Target or Bed Bath and Beyond mass-produced wall art! I figure my originality in this area makes up for the love I have for Ikea :)

My friends think I should enter the next round of Apartment Therapy's "Small Cool" contest. I just might!
« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 11:27:52 AM by KatieSSS »

greaper007

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #47 on: April 14, 2014, 11:52:17 AM »
Where do you guys keep your tools?    My 2 car garage has a hard time containing my tools, gardening equipment, brewing equipment, bicycles etc.    that stuff saves me tons of money.    I rarely use a mechanic (only for hybrid specific stuff), never used a repairman, grow lots of food, and save $100 a batch on beer.

I think it would cost me more than I save with a space like that.

KatieSSS

• Bristles
« Reply #48 on: April 14, 2014, 01:36:30 PM »
Where do you guys keep your tools?    My 2 car garage has a hard time containing my tools, gardening equipment, brewing equipment, bicycles etc.    that stuff saves me tons of money.    I rarely use a mechanic (only for hybrid specific stuff), never used a repairman, grow lots of food, and save $100 a batch on beer.

I have a small set of tools that I keep in my coat closet. A drill, basic toolkit, a box of random supplies (like different sizes of pliers, extra nails, fasteners, etc) and a small hand saw. Takes up just a few feet. I have indoor plants, so my gardening equipment consists of potting soil, a tiny box of miracle grow, and a hand-held spade. I store my bicycle in the car garage in my building for free. I also don't own a car, so no need to keep tools to fix it!

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #49 on: April 14, 2014, 02:02:10 PM »

The beauty of a small space is that you don't need many tools.  You don't have space for brewing equipment, etc.