Author Topic: 2016 Benefits Enrollment Badassity!  (Read 6127 times)

Matt in Akron

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
2016 Benefits Enrollment Badassity!
« on: November 13, 2015, 07:39:39 AM »
I'm excited to say that I enrolled in some benefit options that many of you are probably already enjoying...

• Changed from mid-deductible health insurance to high-deductible + Health Savings Account.  This qualifies me for a $700 employer contribution, and I plan to max out the HSA so I can invest it in a low-fee index fund
  • Allocated funds into a dependent care FSA, as my daughter will start preschool next year.  This reduces my tax exposure by an anticipated ~$1,400 for 2016

I'm pretty pumped that our family is taking the plunge with the HSA.  My wife was surprisingly on-board with trying it.  Unfortunately I won't be able to max out my 401k next year because of maxing out the HSA...so now it's off to find ways to optimize spending so that I can work toward maxing 401k again.

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
Re: 2016 Benefits Enrollment Badassity!
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2015, 05:23:20 PM »
We're supposed to have an HDHP/HSA combo available for our next plan year (September 1)  I'm already plotting to try and max out both 2016 and 2017 in the HSA....

Jellyfish

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2015, 07:44:57 AM »
Those dependent care FSAs are magical.  Was so bummed when my son outgrew the need for childcare and I didn't have use for the benefit any longer...

GoSounders

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2015, 10:05:45 PM »
Just finished enrollment today - chose the high-deductible plan and HSA, employer matches $1000, so that's pretty sweet.  I put $2500 annual contribution in, which coupled with the $2550 in our limited FSA will cover my LASIK in 2016 and leave enough for the $3000 deductible in case one of our kids decides to take a trip to the emergency room.  We'll be able to max out our 401k, however we are a bit tight to max out our IRA this year with the wife doing the SAHM thing and working contract for 5-10 hours a week.  Pumped!

Greeneyeshade

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2015, 09:31:57 AM »

TheInsuranceMan

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2015, 12:05:43 PM »
Moved to high deductible plan and HSA as well - employer contributes and I'll match or double what they put in
Also signed up for dependent care account, which will allow me to put 5k in, tax free, and use for day care. 

HPstache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2015, 04:25:42 PM »
Just made the switch as well.  I am nervous, but with the company contribution of $2,000 and my own contribution of $3,500 I think my family should be able to cover quite a bit...

jorjor

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2015, 06:11:29 PM »
Just finished my open enrollment. Maxed out the HSA ($4,750 in addition to $2,000 employer contribution).

Hotstreak

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2015, 10:25:09 PM »
That's awesome, congrats!

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2015, 11:19:57 AM »
Our open enrollment is starting.  I did some math on the HSA option.

Background: our kids are double covered.  My husband's health insurance is HSA with HDHP.  The company puts some of the money into the HSA for you, and he makes up the rest.  Otherwise, there are no premiums.  Our family is covered.

My company health insurance has HSA, HMO, and PPO options.

For a few years, I declined coverage and we went with husband's HSA. Except we used my coverage for vision and dental (which his company does not offer).

Four years ago, I found out I was pregnant right before open enrollment, and signed up for the HMO for myself.  When my baby was born, I added the children.

By my calculations, the HMO is a better deal and a bit safer.  Last year, my premiums for the kids were around $1200.  We only "used" about $830 of care, based on the EOBs (this is for the children only).  However I decided to go back one year and look there.  A single visit to the ER was $1300.

For sure the HMO was the better deal when I gave birth ($14k) and when my infant son had surgery ($20-25k).

From my friends' experiences, HSAs work if you need very little care, or a lot of care.  If you are just having routine checkups, which are covered?  They are great.
If you end up with a lot of care and hit the out of pocket max?  They can also be great.

My coworker, however, switched last year.  His medications went from $50 to $500 a month from PPO to HSA.  In my experience, drug coverage on HSAs are the pits. (I had bronchitis a couple of years ago, and went to get 2 prescriptions.  I handed over my two insurance cards.  The pharm tech came back with "this one is great, and this one sucks".  HSA sucks.)

I've decided to continue my HMO coverage.  Partially because my kids are at the age of possible broken bones, and I'm at the age of needing physical therapy for knees, hips, back, whatever.  (Though I have decreased the amount of crazy exercise.)

FrenchStache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Planning to FIRE in 2030!
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2015, 05:52:48 AM »
Hey guys

I am slow currently enrolling for my 2016 benefits. My company is increase their contribution to the HSA to $1000 and I will contribute another $2000. I think we will have about $2000 left over from this year. I will have to look into the investment portion of the HSA.
There is a good chance my daughter will be going to daycare next year. Can you guys school me a little on the dependent care HSA?  Do you contribute all at once? Can you start and stop contributing the year? Do you pretty much save the about 15% on taxes?

Thanks!!

GerryS

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2015, 01:42:42 AM »
Dependent Care FSA Rocks!! It reduces your taxable income by your contribution amount. The amount you save in taxes depends on your rate. My wife and I are in the 28% bracket so we save $5000*0.28 = $1400. If you have little kids in day care use it!

As for HDHP and HSA...haven't crossed that path yet. We're on my wife's plan where her company picks up the health tab in full (HMO plan). It's a sweet deal.

In 2016, I'm joining a new firm. Their employee only coverage is pretty affordable for the HDHP/HSA combo; it's about $30/pay period ($780/yr - 26 pay periods). I'm planning to sign-up there for myself to be able to contribute HSA $ for future. Added bonus is that if I leave my wife's plan they pay her an "in-lieu of" benefit equal to $150/mo since I'm not on their teat. We'll come out $1000 ahead for the year if I make the switch.

OmahaSteph

• Pencil Stache
    • Journal: The Slow Lane to FIRE
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2015, 10:05:42 AM »
Can you guys school me a little on the dependent care HSA?  Do you contribute all at once? Can you start and stop contributing the year? Do you pretty much save the about 15% on taxes?

For my Dependent Care HSA, you decide how much you want to set aside for the year (up to $5,000 I believe?) and that determines how much is taken out per pay period. It's pre-tax so it's a good shelter, but then you cannot also take advantage of the child care tax credit at the end of the year.

I contribute the max, pay the after-school care provider, and then submit a claim to get reimbursed. Very handy, but if you don't use it, you lose it, so keep that in mind when budgeting how much you want to contribute. I don't believe you can change that amount after open enrollment, but summer child care eats up most of the $5,000 by itself depending on how many kids and ages, etc.

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2015, 10:10:43 AM »
I am jealous of y'all with employer contributions...

My employer has been pushing the HSA to us pretty hard, we employees received no less than 3 emails about it in the past week, but they didn't bother sweetening the deal.

Not that I needed any convincing. Triple tax avoidance baby!

cawiau

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2015, 10:19:22 AM »
We are doing the opposite... We spent about 16k so far in fertility treatments (surgeries, IUI etc) and will spend another 2-3k this month.

So next month we are switching from HSA to PPO because if IUI doesn't work this month we are starting IVF in 2016.

So it goes form 7k-10k out of pocket HSA to 2-3k for medication only (PPO covers IVF procedure).

But in the past 7 years we have been married, HSA was the way to go... Regular doctor visits, no emergencies, etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hypocrispy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2015, 10:24:32 AM »
+1 for HSA badassity!

Just started a new job and found out they have an HDHP with HSA plan AND employer contribution of $750. While not as awesome as some of the great deals you guys are getting, it's a huge leg up for me. I'm not going to say no!

Will have to see about next year when the boyfriend hits "domestic partner" status and goes on my insurance. He has Crohn's and it might sway the insurance decision if his meds cost too much on the HDHP.

norabird

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2015, 10:28:30 AM »
I love my FSA and non-HSA health plan, but I did switch to the lower cost health plan, for basically the same benefits. Will save around $50 a pay period that way.

Lady Fordragon

• Stubble
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2015, 02:08:10 PM »
Just signed up for a HDHP with HSA for next year as well.  I'll definitely be maxing it out!

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!