Author Topic: 2015 goals/ new year's resolutions  (Read 28810 times)

Money Badger

• Pencil Stache
Re: 2015 goals/ new year's resolutions
« Reply #50 on: January 05, 2015, 08:05:57 PM »
There are so many great achievements on this thread...  My wife and I have savings goals but my bigger goal is to think through what I will do with my life post FIRE.    In our case, it coincides with the kids going to college about the time we hit our goals.  The math is turning out to be surprisingly easy, but finding a new mission for a hard working dude is tough!   I have some family that retired early that definitely did not find a mission and paid dearly.    So time to think, then experiment and figure this out!

irishbear99

• Bristles
« Reply #51 on: January 06, 2015, 02:55:55 PM »
I have several financial goals for 2015; however, the MMM site and forums have provided the inspiration to focus heavily on fixing two non-financial things that are truly shameful and full-on facepunch worthy. The hubby and I are going to start recycling (no, we have not done this, and yes, I am hanging my head in shame) and we are going to stop throwing out food due to buying too much/poor meal planning.

LonerMatt

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #52 on: January 07, 2015, 11:49:52 PM »
1. Achieve happiness
2. Kiss that girl. Repeatedly.

1. Working on
2. Tick

Katy Stache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #53 on: January 08, 2015, 03:58:15 AM »
My husband asked me about my "New Year's Resolution." I told him that it is to save $60k this year. I asked if his was to earn enough money so I could do that. ;) He thinks I'm crazy.

onecoolcat

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #54 on: January 11, 2015, 03:25:08 PM »
1.   Refinance my student loans to around 4% from 6.8% and make minimum payments.
2.   Max out my IRA contribution.
3.   Max out my 401(k) contribution.
4.   Get a good deal on new suits for work.
5.   Get a raise.
6.   Move back home to be near my wife.
7.   Open a taxable account and throw 10k at it.
8.   Pay my brother back 14k he loaned me.
9.   Cut back on spending on eating out.
10. Go on 1-2 short cruises.
11. Start using Rosetta Stone to refresh and expand my Spanish.
12. Maybe start planning on growing my family if the wife is down for it.

This will be very difficult to do on my salary, but if I can get by on spending 10k on food and clothes for the next year I will be good.

Off to a good start.  I have submitted an application to refinance my student loans through Sofi and DRB.  I hope to get the good news that I have been approved this week!  After my next paycheck I will be able to throw 5.5k to my 2014 IRA.  I inquired and found out I'm now eligible for my office's 401k.  My wife and I have both found we like the food we cook better than restaurant food anyways, its about time I put that big expensive grill to use!  Rosetta Stone is now reinstalled on my computer! 

Real talk though, I don't think I will be able to throw 11k at my IRA (2014 and 2015), 18k at my 401k, 14k to pay back my brother, and 10k to a taxable account this year because I'm requesting to refinance my 47k in student loans to a 5 year term, so the payments are going to be steep.  So, I'll probably scratch the taxable account from the resolutions list.  It was a wonderful thought though!  Maybe 2016 when I should get paid more, not have 2 years of IRA contributions to max, and have a car payment! 

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #55 on: January 13, 2015, 06:14:12 AM »
Slash grocery spending, I've worked out I should save an extra £1,200 a year if I stick to the new budget.

dude

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #56 on: January 13, 2015, 07:48:56 AM »
Gonna try intermittent fasting -- on Mondays (i.e., no food from dinner the previous night until dinner the next).  Started yesterday.

SCUBAstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #57 on: January 16, 2015, 12:27:08 PM »
Thanks for the inspiration everyone!  Here are mine:

-Max TSP (401k), not a problem, been doing it for a while now
-Save 20k in after-tax savings by a weekly auto-deduction going straight to my Betterment account, so far so good
-Find an additional 12k over the course of the year to bring the grand savings total to 50k, that might be a stretch though
-Keep food costs below $400/month (cook more!!)
-Be able to complete 10 dead hang pull ups in a row
-Run a 7 minute mile
-Prioritize my relationship more
-Become a certified cave diver
-Give less fucks about stupid shit

11ducks

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #58 on: January 17, 2015, 02:27:29 AM »
All the usual- lose weight, save money, quit sugar, stay off
Facebook etc etc.

But really, this year I want to be more positive.
I work in a staff room with a lot of older women (and men), and the whinging and bitching and gossiping and infighting and complaining that goes on is constant, sooo negative, and really draining. It's too easy to get caught up in whinging about everything. This year I'm going to smile, be positive, and spend more time with workmates who have a more positive outlook. And not b*tch about my boss (even if it is well deserved at times).

cazaubon

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #59 on: January 17, 2015, 08:54:23 AM »
I am planning to FIRE at the end of May this year, at 49. :-) I am putting 100% of my salary into the 401k (which has a 30% match) so I can max it out for this year, so I am living super frugal on my savings for the next few months. My goals are to improve my cooking skills so I can eat better at home and to exercise more with my dog so we can both be fitter. I am super excited. :-)

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #60 on: January 17, 2015, 09:24:57 AM »
I am planning to FIRE at the end of May this year, at 49. :-) I am putting 100% of my salary into the 401k (which has a 30% match) so I can max it out for this year, so I am living super frugal on my savings for the next few months. My goals are to improve my cooking skills so I can eat better at home and to exercise more with my dog so we can both be fitter. I am super excited. :-)

How fantastic - congratulations!  Any specific post-FIRE plans (besides continued exercise with your dog)?

daymare

• Bristles
« Reply #61 on: January 17, 2015, 01:48:06 PM »
Financial:
-Max husband's 401k ($18K)
-Max our Roth IRAs ($11K)
-Taxable investments ($21K)

Which is pretty sweet since we make combined about 80K (but we did start the year with 35K in cash, 10K of which just went to an initial contribution to the taxable account)

The funny thing is that the financial stuff isn't really even a goal, just a plan that we'll accomplish (knock on wood).

Personal goals are big:
To pass my prelim and decide whether or not to stay in my PhD program.
For my husband, probably to get a full-time salaried engineer position at the company he's now a contractor engineer for.
And to be happy (individually & together).

MrsCoolCat

• Bristles
« Reply #62 on: January 17, 2015, 01:56:17 PM »
Invest more (401k & IRA contributions)
Buy less (kinda go hand in hand) meaning less shoes, eating out, trinkets/useless stuff.
Do a handstand a hopefully a pull up, too
Survive (crazy boss situation)
Continue being happy by being grateful, etc.

cazaubon

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #63 on: January 17, 2015, 09:02:10 PM »
I don't have any specific goals other than more exercise and better eating, but what I am hoping for is to discover one or more things I am passionate about and find some way to contribute to my community. I am planning to volunteer on our condo management board and perhaps the public library too. I feel like I have been in a rut for many years, just grinding it out at work, and want to explore lots of things to help me feel more connected to others and more a part of the world.

ascZend

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #64 on: January 19, 2015, 11:24:16 PM »
Financial Goals:

Maximize Roth IRA - $5,500
Maximize 401(k) - $18,000
Taxable investments - $21,500
Reach desired asset allocation (Age - 10 in bonds.  30-35% of equity in international funds)
Increase secondary income
Increase emergency fund to 3-6 months of living expenses
Maintain no debt and a +65-70% savings rate
Sell vehicle and purchase a cheaper used car
$200,000 net worth
Ask for a raise at work

Personal & Professional Goals:

Earn my Associates degree
Earn at least 2 professional certifications
Practice Spanish
Get more organized
Work on side projects
Improve physical conditioning and get back into a physical fitness regimen at home
Finish upgrading my desktop computer
Get out more
Take an incredible international vacation (or two) this year

onecoolcat

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #65 on: March 06, 2015, 09:42:20 AM »
1.   Refinance my student loans to around 4% from 6.8% and make minimum payments. Refinanced with Sofi at 3.8% but its adjustable.
2.   Max out my IRA contribution. 2014 is maxed and 2015 is pending
3.   Max out my 401(k) contribution. Been contributing the max since February 1st, will have to make up 1500 for January though
4.   Get a good deal on new suits for work. Got a sweet Jos A Banks suit for $70 from their website, its retail is $695, but its JAB so it generally sells for $350, but still!
5.   Get a raise. Annual reviews are coming up this month so i'm still hoping for this, I did get a 5k COL raise for moving to the new office but this was negotiated for months ago when I accepted an offer.  Good thing about it is that its actually cheaper for me to move because our house is paid for and I don't have to pay additional rent near our principal office.  I want a 7k raise but we will see what happens.
6.   Move back home to be near my wife. Been here for a week
9.   Cut back on spending on eating out. Definitely have done this so far.  Been cooking every meal, eating better, and saving money

This will be very difficult to do on my salary, but if I can get by on spending 10k on food and clothes for the next year I will be good.

Doing better than I had expected. 

One of the helpful things I have done is that I created a excel spreadsheet that tracks my income and expenses.  I realized I have a little bit more money per month left over after 401k/ira/taxes/and expenses so I've been thinking of other investments.

Recently have been thinking about deferring #7 & 8 above (permission from my brother) in order to buy an investment property.  Also been thinking about selling my 2010 Dodge Challenger and getting a 2010 Toyota Prius instead as I will be driving a lot more now that I moved and the gas savings would be nice (and I care about the environment). 

This was also a reminder of where I'm slacking.  I need to start doing the Rosetta Stone and planning for a vacation.  Throwing down the gauntlet, I will plan a small vacation after I get my annual review regardless of the outcome!
« Last Edit: March 06, 2015, 09:52:08 AM by OneCoolCat »

MrsCoolCat

• Bristles
« Reply #66 on: March 07, 2015, 06:22:49 PM »
1.   Refinance my student loans to around 4% from 6.8% and make minimum payments. Refinanced with Sofi at 3.8% but its adjustable.
3.   Max out my 401(k) contribution. Been contributing the max since February 1st, will have to make up 1500 for January though
4.   Get a good deal on new suits for work. Got a sweet Jos A Banks suit for $70 from their website, its retail is $695, but its JAB so it generally sells for $350, but still!
5.   Get a raise. Annual reviews are coming up this month so i'm still hoping for this, I did get a 5k COL raise for moving to the new office but this was negotiated for months ago when I accepted an offer.  Good thing about it is that its actually cheaper for me to move because our house is paid for and I don't have to pay additional rent near our principal office.  I want a 7k raise but we will see what happens.
9.   Cut back on spending on eating out. Definitely have done this so far.  Been cooking every meal, eating better, and saving money

One of the helpful things I have done is that I created a excel spreadsheet that tracks my income and expenses.  I realized I have a little bit more money per month left over after 401k/ira/taxes/and expenses so I've been thinking of other investments.

Recently have been thinking about deferring #7 & 8 above (permission from my brother) in order to buy an investment property.  Also been thinking about selling my 2010 Dodge Challenger and getting a 2010 Toyota Prius instead as I will be driving a lot more now that I moved and the gas savings would be nice (and I care about the environment). 

This was also a reminder of where I'm slacking.  I need to start doing the Rosetta Stone and planning for a vacation.  Throwing down the gauntlet, I will plan a small vacation after I get my annual review regardless of the outcome!

I'm proud of you and I should stalk you more often! LOL! :-D

Bicycle_B

• Handlebar Stache
  • Mustachian-ish in Live Music Capital of the World
« Reply #67 on: March 07, 2015, 07:51:16 PM »
The same every year: Floss more often.

My dentist loves me!

LOL

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #68 on: March 08, 2015, 07:09:37 AM »

Excellent progress! More than half completed in 2 months.

Retire-Canada

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #69 on: March 08, 2015, 08:43:44 AM »
My main focus for 2015 is to change the way I look at money and wealth.

My wealth is made up of employees who work tirelessly to generate more wealth for me.

The more employees I have the faster my wealth grows so I need to keep adding to my work force.

Every time I have $25 in my pocket instead of equating that to what it can buy I look at it and think "...Nice...$1/yr for life!" then I invest it.

This is all pretty basic MMM stuff, but it really is mind bendingly powerful when you see it in action in your own life.

-- Vik

ascZend

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #70 on: March 08, 2015, 06:57:38 PM »
Here's an update on mine:

Financial Goals:

Maximize Roth IRA - $5,500 (Done.)

*Maximize 401(k) - $18,000 (Another $14,051.25 to go.  Should max by early-to-mid December.)

*Taxable investments - $21,500 (Will begin to work on this starting in April.)

*Reach desired asset allocation (Age - 10 in bonds.  30-35% of equity in international funds) (Work in progress through regular investment contributions every month.)

*Increase secondary income (Will have consistent secondary income from April - June.  Would like to start selling some things online like old electronics to make a few extra bucks before then, as well as to declutter and clear some space .)

Increase emergency fund to 3-6 months of living expenses (Haven't yet.  Will be a work in progress throughout the year.)

*Maintain no debt and a +65-70% savings rate (Over 70% for January, probably 50%-60% or so in February which was one of my more expensive months in a while, but my savings rate should also be drastically higher in April - June.  The average should end up being over 70% throughout the year.  Will have some debt due to a new car, but very manageable.)

Sell vehicle and purchase a cheaper used car (I traded my car in, but I ended up getting a newer and more expensive used car than I had originally planned.  Not as practical as my old vehicle, but definitely a lot more fun and powerful.  The car I had my eyes on initially ended up not being in very good mechanical condition at all.  I owe about $5,500 at 2.4% interest, which is only about $200 in interest over the life of the loan.  I think I got a pretty good deal on it and I'm pleased with the upgrade.  Sometimes you just need a change, and I don't think there's anything wrong with enjoying the fruits of your labor a bit, so long as you are responsible and can afford to do so of course.  Life is short.  I've also come to realize it's better to spend a bit more for a quality, durable car than go with a very cheap but potentially unreliable and expensive to maintain/repair vehicle.)

*$200,000 net worth (On pace to meet or exceed by the end of the year.)

Ask for a raise at work (Recently had my annual performance evaluation and I am accepting additional responsibilities at work.  Hoping this will be happening soon, although I haven't asked for one yet.)

*Earn my Associates degree (Will resume working on this in Spring.  Should have it by the end of the year).

Practice Spanish

*Get more organized (Plan to start doing this over the coming weeks, in particular selling a bunch of old stuff I don't need or use anymore, and organizing my documents and storage better--both physical and digital.)

*Work on side projects (Expanded my side hobby/project.  It's more work and more expensive, but it's more fun and getting more exposure.  My hope and goal is that I can eventually monetize it, but that will be for a while still.)

Improve physical conditioning and get back into a physical fitness regimen at home

Finish upgrading my desktop computer (Just finished building a new gaming desktop in February that I started buying parts for last November.  Spent around $930 before taxes and shipping, and was able to salvage and reuse about $375 worth of components from my old computer that I had originally gotten for free in addition to almost $260 worth of free hardware and games through referrals, promotions, credit card reward points, and other discounts.  It was worth it for me as I'm a big PC gaming hobbyist and spend a large amount of my time on my computer.  This system should last for many years and I can always upgrade/replace components as needed.  It's something I'd been planning on for a long time and never really did before.  Pretty happy with it, and it's fun to build something from the ground up yourself.)

Get out more
« Last Edit: March 08, 2015, 07:03:28 PM by ascZend »

onecoolcat

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #71 on: March 08, 2015, 07:52:24 PM »
Here's an update on mine:

Financial Goals:

Maximize Roth IRA - $5,500 (Done.)

*Maximize 401(k) - $18,000 (Another $14,051.25 to go.  Should max by early-to-mid December.)

*Taxable investments - $21,500 (Will begin to work on this starting in April.)

*Reach desired asset allocation (Age - 10 in bonds.  30-35% of equity in international funds) (Work in progress through regular investment contributions every month.)

*Increase secondary income (Will have consistent secondary income from April - June.  Would like to start selling some things online like old electronics to make a few extra bucks before then, as well as to declutter and clear some space .)

Increase emergency fund to 3-6 months of living expenses (Haven't yet.  Will be a work in progress throughout the year.)

*Maintain no debt and a +65-70% savings rate (Over 70% for January, probably 50%-60% or so in February which was one of my more expensive months in a while, but my savings rate should also be drastically higher in April - June.  The average should end up being over 70% throughout the year.  Will have some debt due to a new car, but very manageable.)

Sell vehicle and purchase a cheaper used car (I traded my car in, but I ended up getting a newer and more expensive used car than I had originally planned.  Not as practical as my old vehicle, but definitely a lot more fun and powerful.  The car I had my eyes on initially ended up not being in very good mechanical condition at all.  I owe about $5,500 at 2.4% interest, which is only about $200 in interest over the life of the loan.  I think I got a pretty good deal on it and I'm pleased with the upgrade.  Sometimes you just need a change, and I don't think there's anything wrong with enjoying the fruits of your labor a bit, so long as you are responsible and can afford to do so of course.  Life is short.  I've also come to realize it's better to spend a bit more for a quality, durable car than go with a very cheap but potentially unreliable and expensive to maintain/repair vehicle.)

*$200,000 net worth (On pace to meet or exceed by the end of the year.)

Ask for a raise at work (Recently had my annual performance evaluation and I am accepting additional responsibilities at work.  Hoping this will be happening soon, although I haven't asked for one yet.)

*Earn my Associates degree (Will resume working on this in Spring.  Should have it by the end of the year).

Practice Spanish

*Get more organized (Plan to start doing this over the coming weeks, in particular selling a bunch of old stuff I don't need or use anymore, and organizing my documents and storage better--both physical and digital.)

*Work on side projects (Expanded my side hobby/project.  It's more work and more expensive, but it's more fun and getting more exposure.  My hope and goal is that I can eventually monetize it, but that will be for a while still.)

Finish upgrading my desktop computer (Just finished building a new gaming desktop in February that I started buying parts for last November.  Spent around $930 before taxes and shipping, and was able to salvage and reuse about $375 worth of components from my old computer that I had originally gotten for free in addition to almost $260 worth of free hardware and games through referrals, promotions, credit card reward points, and other discounts.  It was worth it for me as I'm a big PC gaming hobbyist and spend a large amount of my time on my computer.  This system should last for many years and I can always upgrade/replace components as needed.  It's something I'd been planning on for a long time and never really did before.  Pretty happy with it, and it's fun to build something from the ground up yourself.)

Get out more

Great job on the savings rate!  You and I both need to get it in gear on expanding our Spanish, lol.

MrsCoolCat

• Bristles
« Reply #72 on: March 08, 2015, 07:56:11 PM »
My DH wanted me to do this.

1) $5,500 into 2015 IRA contribution - DONE.
2) $18k into 401K - 5 paychecks down (at $705/ea.) and continuing.
3) Travel/Vacation - Pending the DH...
4) Cook more - Ongoing and doing.
5) Lose 6 pounds - LOL ongoing but enjoying my current weight.
6) Pull-up - About 15 lbs away!
7) Handstand - Still practicing here and there.
8) Spending less and wiser - Yes, but also balancing enjoying my life which can be subjective to my overall goal. Pretty much shoes, eating out (with friends or while on vacation), etc.
9) Call my grandmothers once a week - Ongoing and doing at least every other week if not weekly.

onecoolcat

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #73 on: March 08, 2015, 08:07:47 PM »

8) Spending less and wiser - Yes, but also balancing enjoying my life which can be subjective to my overall goal. Pretty much shoes, eating out (with friends or while on vacation), etc.
9) Call my grandmothers once a week - Ongoing and doing at least every other week if not weekly.

MrsCoolCat, how many shoes did you purchase this week?  Just curious!

LOL

MrsCoolCat

• Bristles
« Reply #74 on: March 08, 2015, 08:16:17 PM »

MrsCoolCat, how many shoes did you purchase this week?  Just curious!

LOL

4 pairs for under $50; good for the next year or so AND they're brands...
« Last Edit: March 08, 2015, 08:20:41 PM by MrsCoolCat »

ascZend

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #75 on: March 08, 2015, 08:16:52 PM »
Great job on the savings rate!  You and I both need to get it in gear on expanding our Spanish, lol.

Thank you!  And you're right, lol.  I plan on taking a vacation at the end of June to Latin America, so it would definitely come in handy then.

Excellent job already maximizing your IRA!  Also an incredible deal on that suit from the sounds of it.  You have some set some very impressive goals for yourself this year.  It looks like you are well on your way! 

It's kind of ironic, but our car situations have just reversed, lol.  I just sold my 2011 Hyundai Elantra (a very fuel efficient and practical commuter car) for a 2010 Dodge Charger.  What a fun ride it is.

Congrats on already maximizing your 2015 IRA!  It looks like we're both contributing at about the same rate to our 401(k)'s as well, which should have us both maxed by the end of the year.  You're doing great!  Keep it up!

Pretty much all of your goals are aligned with mine.  I especially agree with number 8.  I think living a balanced life is so important.  Plan for tomorrow, but live for today too.  Be smart with your money, but don't completely deprive yourself either.  Enjoy your time and your life.  It's all about aligning our spending with our goals, values, and the things that matter most to us.  Here's to conquering the rest of our lists!
« Last Edit: March 08, 2015, 08:26:19 PM by ascZend »

MrsCoolCat

• Bristles
« Reply #76 on: March 08, 2015, 08:23:23 PM »
Congrats on already maximizing your 2015 IRA!  It looks like we're both contributing at about the same rate to our 401(k)'s as well, which should have us both maxed by the end of the year.  You're doing great!  Keep it up!

Pretty much all of your goals are aligned with mine.  I especially agree with number 8.  I think living a balanced life is so important.  Plan for tomorrow, but live for today too.  Be smart with your money, but don't completely deprive yourself either.  Enjoy your time and your life.  It's all about aligning our spending with our goals, values, and the things that matter most to us.  Here's to conquering the rest of our lists!

DH needs to read this; LOL, and thanks! You, too, regarding the well wishes on conquering the rest of our lives! :-)

Kaivalagi

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #77 on: March 15, 2015, 09:48:57 AM »
Enjoying this thread :)) My financial goals for 2015 are:

1. Pay back a loan from my Dad - I have 80% of it saved already.
2. Save six months of expenses as an emergency fund.
3. Save enough for my husband to travel home to see his family on the other side of the world!
4. Continue to put aside money monthly for lump sum payments including council tax, phone line rental, water bills and tv licence (damn you BBC!). Oh and funds for Christmas 2015.

Any additional funds will be used to fund investment accounts through a Stock and Shares ISA. My husband and I should then be in a much better position to invest more in 2016 - I cannot wait!

We're doing great with our goals so far! I've paid back my Dad, I've set up payments into savings for our annual bills, and we're working on the 6 months expense fund and the flight payment. Both my husband and I have increased savings into our work pension to 10% (I get a 12% and hubby gets 1% matched). It feels like everything is coming together!

Looking forward to more updates from everyone, this threat is a great motivator :)

Shamantha

• Stubble
« Reply #78 on: March 16, 2015, 06:36:54 AM »
Well done on everyone's progress! See mine below, not there yet but slowly getting there:
- Pay off 33.000 53.000 euro of the mortgage Updated goal due to refinancing and getting 20.000 out of an underperforming shares part of the mortage and putting that towards the principal. Also now have 4,1% interest rate rather than 5,7% so lower monthly interest payments.
- Renegotiate employment contract and salary Ongoing, got a new job title and will get an (as yet unknown) pay increase
- Last repairs on the house and painting completed before July Outsourced work to be completed mid April
- Make a design and cost indication for splitting my house into two units, with the option of renting out one unit as part of future passive income planning.

Last repairs on the house further detailed:
- Kit/seal the bathroom - 1/10 done, to be completed in the next 2 weeks, will only take half a day
- Paint / repair / decorate interior doors, uniform new door handles for all doors
- Sand down windows/doors that are slightly tight and will not easily close, repaint
- Tile worktop in bathroom above washer/dryer with mosaic, this is for the Christmas holiday so not in a hurry.
Outsourced: roof/gutter repairs at 10m height

ascZend

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #79 on: May 17, 2015, 10:45:23 AM »
An update:

Financial Goals:

Maximize Roth IRA - $5,500 - Done.
Maximize 401(k) - $18,000 - Contributed $7,451.11 so far.  Another $10,548.89 to go.
Taxable investments - $21,500 - Contributed $4,797 so far.  Another $16,703 to go.
Reach desired asset allocation (Age - 10 in bonds.  30-35% of equity in international funds) - Still a work in progress.
Increase secondary income - Done.  Will begin selling some things I don't need or use anymore next month once I have more time.
Increase emergency fund to 3-6 months of living expenses - Haven't started it yet.
Maintain no debt and a +65-70% savings rate - Have debt due to the auto loan from January, but my savings rate is at least 70% every month and is currently at 80%.
Sell vehicle and purchase a cheaper used car - Done, sort of.  I upgraded instead of downgraded.  Oops.
$200,000 net worth - $171,000 portfolio, $186,000 estimated net worth including other assets (property, vehicle, etc.)
Ask for a raise at work - Done, and I didn't even need to ask.  Received a small raise this past week.

Earn my Associates degree - Working on it now.
Practice Spanish
Get more organized
Work on side projects
Improve physical conditioning and get back into a physical fitness regimen at home - Just began doing this literally yesterday.
Finish upgrading my desktop computer - Done.  Built a gaming computer worth probably $1,750 in total parts for around $930 out-of-pocket (before tax/shipping) by salvaging some components from my old PC (that was free), credit rewards, discounts, and thrifty shopping.
Get out more
« Last Edit: May 17, 2015, 11:02:57 AM by ascZend »

onecoolcat

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #80 on: May 23, 2015, 02:35:03 PM »
1.   Refinance my student loans to around 4% from 6.8% and make minimum payments. Done!
2.   Max out my IRA contribution. Done!
3.   Max out my 401(k) contribution. Been contributing the max!
4.   Get a good deal on new suits for work. Done!
5.   Get a raise. Going to ask for this after my 1 year aniversary
6.   Move back home to be near my wife. Done!
7.   Open a taxable account and throw 10k at it. Not doing this anymore, I'm throwing all of my extra money at my student loans instead.  So far I have thrown an extra $2.5k at my student loans.
8.   Pay my brother back 14k he loaned me. Working on it - Been paying him $585 a month for the past 3 months
10. Go on 1-2 short cruises. We are planning 1 cruise and 1 international vacation this year
12. Maybe start planning on growing my family if the wife is down for it. This is looking like its more likely to happen

DirtDiva

• Bristles
« Reply #81 on: May 28, 2015, 12:58:43 PM »

Really none of my business, but....what does your brother think about the money spent on cruises and international travel while you owe him money?  I know every family is different, but I would be a bit annoyed if my brother did this (and I know what it feels like, because we loaned him money for rent and the next time we saw him he had an enormous flat screen tv).

onecoolcat

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #82 on: May 28, 2015, 06:18:28 PM »

Really none of my business, but....what does your brother think about the money spent on cruises and international travel while you owe him money?  I know every family is different, but I would be a bit annoyed if my brother did this (and I know what it feels like, because we loaned him money for rent and the next time we saw him he had an enormous flat screen tv).

When I started sending him payments he called me to tell me to just pay him after I pay off my student loans in two years.  I told him I wanted to pay him now rather than wait.

Personally, if I were in his shoes I wouldn't have a problem him going on a couple cruises while he made installment payments to me.  As long as I would be receiving regular payments, it would be fine.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2015, 06:26:59 PM by OneCoolCat »

DirtDiva

• Bristles
« Reply #83 on: May 28, 2015, 09:14:25 PM »

When I started sending him payments he called me to tell me to just pay him after I pay off my student loans in two years.  I told him I wanted to pay him now rather than wait.

Personally, if I were in his shoes I wouldn't have a problem him going on a couple cruises while he made installment payments to me.  As long as I would be receiving regular payments, it would be fine.

Yup- you are clearly a different person than my family member. That makes all the difference.  We know we won't ever see that money again.  Burn me once...

Shamantha

• Stubble
« Reply #84 on: May 29, 2015, 06:10:11 AM »
Well done on everyone's progress! See mine below, not there yet but slowly getting there:
- Pay off 33.000 53.000 euro of the mortgage Updated goal due to refinancing and getting 20.000 out of an underperforming shares part of the mortage and putting that towards the principal. Also now have 4,1% interest rate rather than 5,7% so lower monthly interest payments.On schedule for having paid off 53000 euro by October, which is the max for this year.
- Renegotiate employment contract and salary Ongoing, got a new job title and will get an (as yet unknown) pay increaseDone
- Last repairs on the house and painting completed before July Outsourced work to be completed mid AprilAlmost done
- Make a design and cost indication for splitting my house into two units, with the option of renting out one unit as part of future passive income planning.

Last repairs on the house further detailed:
- Kit/seal the bathroom - 1/10 done, to be completed in the next 2 weeks, will only take half a day
- Paint / repair / decorate interior doors, uniform new door handles for all doors
- Sand down windows/doors that are slightly tight and will not easily close, repaint
- Tile worktop in bathroom above washer/dryer with mosaic, this is for the Christmas holiday so not in a hurry.
Outsourced: roof/gutter repairs at 10m height
Finalised the changes to the mortage, got almost 1000 euro more for the old shares part of the mortgage and got the interest rate down to 4% (from 5,7). Finalised new work contract with 15% raise (wow!). (Not quite sure if happy about this or not. Happy because I get more money, unhappy because apparently I have been working for too low wages for the past years...). Outsourced repairs on the house to be completed next week. Very happy that I am not doing this myself, it is 8-12 meters above street level and well beyond my skill set.

Did not get around to kitting the bathroom (this weekend, I promised myself) and have not even started on the interior doors. Have decided that if not done by the end of the year, I will outsource it as well. Kind of a punishment to pay for something I could do myself so I hope this threat to myself works!

Great to hear others are making progress with the goals as well, such as OneCoolCat.

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #85 on: June 02, 2015, 09:04:09 PM »
It is almost that time of year again.

I came to MMM this year and have implemented some new habits, including tracking my expenses. One goal for next year is to cut eating out costs by 50% versus this year.

What resolutions (financial or otherwise) are you making?

Wasn't listed - but I did finally set the date to FIRE and have given my notice. Exciting and scary and sets up several more things I need to do this year! It will definitely help with the eating out goal!

MrsCoolCat

• Bristles
« Reply #86 on: June 18, 2015, 11:36:40 AM »
1.   Refinance my student loans to around 4% from 6.8% and make minimum payments. Done!
2.   Max out my IRA contribution. Done!
3.   Max out my 401(k) contribution. Been contributing the max!
4.   Get a good deal on new suits for work. Done!
5.   Get a raise. Going to ask for this after my 1 year aniversary
6.   Move back home to be near my wife. Done!
7.   Open a taxable account and throw 10k at it. Not doing this anymore, I'm throwing all of my extra money at my student loans instead.  So far I have thrown an extra $2.5k at my student loans.
8.   Pay my brother back 14k he loaned me. Working on it - Been paying him $585 a month for the past 3 months
10. Go on 1-2 short cruises. We are planning 1 cruise and 1 international vacation this year
12. Maybe start planning on growing my family if the wife is down for it. This is looking like its more likely to happen

Yay!!! Now lets make this vacation happen! No mention of Cool Cat Minis?! Lol!!!

onecoolcat

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #87 on: July 31, 2015, 12:02:23 AM »
Its awesome to see everyone make impressive strides toward their goals!

ascZend

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #88 on: August 01, 2015, 12:08:43 PM »
I found out I was getting a $5,000 annual salary raise earlier this month.  Still waiting for the paperwork to process, but the extra pay will be retroactive to July 1st of this year.  That's an extra $5,000 of savings and investments per year that I will be able to contribute toward FI/RE.

Financial Goals:

Maximize 401(k) - $18,000 - Contributed $11,623.32 so far.  Another $6,376.68 to go.
Taxable investments - $21,500 - Contributed $11,778.28 so far.  Another $9,721.72 to go.
Reach desired asset allocation (Age - 10 in bonds.  30-35% of equity in international funds) - A work in progress.
Increase secondary income - Done.  Still intend to sell some old electronics and belongings I don't use or need anymore.  I've been taking advantage of credit card rewards all year, including $200 in cash back after spending $1,000 in 3 months earlier this year (which went towards my computer upgrade).  I just set up a direct deposit at a local credit union for $100 in addition to opening a new credit card that will also yield $100 cash back for $500 in purchases over 3 months.  Looking at referral options for cash back with companies I do (or have done) business with.
Increase emergency fund to 3-6 months of living expenses - On my to do list.
Maintain no debt and a +65-70% savings rate - Have small debt due to the auto loan from January.  Will owe $4,746.60 after the 11th at 2.44% interest for 30 months.  My savings rate is at least 70% every month.
Sell vehicle and purchase a cheaper used car - I traded in my car, but after testing a few poor-quality used cars I decided to upgrade instead of downgrade. 
$200,000 net worth - $180,000 portfolio.  $195,000 total estimated net worth including other assets (possessions, vehicle, etc.)
Ask for a raise at work - Received two raises in 4 months, a little over $6,100 per year in total.

Earn my Associates degree - So close.  1 or 2 more classes away.  Will resume classes either this Fall or Winter.
Practice Spanish
Get more organized
Work on side projects
Improve physical conditioning and get back into a physical fitness regimen at home - This one's been hard for me to consistently practice.  Would like to purchase a bench press and some plates, possibly other small equipment.
Finish upgrading my desktop computer - Done.  Built a gaming computer worth probably $1,750 in total parts for around $930 out-of-pocket (before tax/shipping) by salvaging some components from my old PC (that was free), credit rewards, discounts, and thrifty shopping.
Get out more - Definitely been doing this more.  I went on a road trip to another state to visit family for the 4th of July (costed $100-125).  Also booked a concert (my first real one in 12 years) later this month for $56.
Take an incredible international vacation (or two) this year - Going to Mexico for 5 days in August.  Flight is already booked.  Only $218 round trip airfare. 

Mrs. Crackin' the Whip

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Crackin' The Whip
« Reply #89 on: August 01, 2015, 12:37:36 PM »
I love reading about everyone's goal and progress!  We have paid off $48,500 in student loans this year and we started maxing out our 401k's.  We're super excited to have accomplished this!

gaja

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #90 on: August 20, 2015, 12:57:05 PM »
I like using this time if year to reflect on the old year and dream about the new. But there are some very large uncertainties yet that makes it difficult to plan for 2015. The main one is that we are not sure  when or whether the old house will sell. So I'm making a plan A, B and C:

Best case scenario: The house sells for $650 000 or more; enough to pay down all mortgage debt.
Most likely scenario: The house sells for $500 000; we get a mortgage of $100 000, that we pay down in 5 years or less.
Worst case scenario: The house doesn't sell; we rent it out for enough to cover the interest on the mortgage, taxes and have $1000/month to pay down the mortgage balance. We are debt free in 12 years.

One of the mortgages is short term (just while we are waiting for the house to sell), and is due in July. If the worst case scenario comes true, I would love to just pay that one off, instead of negotiating with the bank for an extension. We have some savings already, but need to get hold of $50K more to cover it all. So that is my goal before summer: earn and save all we can, to get as close as possible to 50K.

The second short time goal is to maximize the probability of a good sale price/rental income, by renovating the old house as cheaply as possible.

House is sold, but at a lower price than we hoped for. So we will end up with a mortgage of about $200 000. That should take us less than 10 years to get rid of.

ascZend

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #91 on: October 24, 2015, 07:19:31 PM »
Financial Goals:

Complete
Increase secondary income - Have made over $725 doing side work from home the past several weeks with more work lined up.  Still reviewing cash referral options.
Sell vehicle and purchase a cheaper used car - I traded in my car, but after testing a few poor-quality used vehicles I decided to upgrade instead of downgrade. 
$200,000 net worth - $185,150.95 investment portfolio.  $206,330 total estimated net worth including all assets (possessions, vehicle, etc.)
Ask for a raise at work - Received three raises so far this year (the two largest of which I'm waiting to receive with retroactive pay).

To Do:
Maximize 401(k) - $18,000 - Contributed $15,286.82 so far.  Another $2,713.18 to go.
Taxable investments - $21,500 - Contributed $15,721.85 so far.  Another $5,778.15 to go.
Reach desired asset allocation (Age - 10 in bonds.  30-35% of equity in international funds) - Work in progress.
Increase emergency fund to 3-6 months of living expenses - On my to do list.
Maintain no debt and a +65-70% savings rate - Have small debt due to the auto loan from January.  Owe $4,440.98 at 2.44% interest.  My savings rate is usually at least 70% every month.

Complete:
Take an incredible international vacation (or two) this year - Went to Mexico for 5 days in August.  Best trip of my life.
Get out more - Have probably taken more trips this year than the previous 2-3 combined.

To Do:
Earn my Associates degree - So close.  1 or 2 classes away.  Will resume classes next Winter or Spring quarter.
Practice Spanish
Get more organized
Work on side projects
Improve physical conditioning and get back into a physical fitness regimen at home - This one's been hard for me to consistently practice.  Would like to purchase a bench press and some plates, possibly other small equipment.

RunHappy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #92 on: October 25, 2015, 05:42:08 AM »
    I don't really have any New Year resolutions, but I have some 2015 goals that were put in place months ago.

• Increase overall savings by 6% what my 2014 savings rate was - Done
    • Hike Mt. Washington in New Hampshire - Not Done due to pregnancy
    [li]Knock off 2 states on my "run a half marathon in every state goal" - Not Done due to pregnancy
    [/li][/list]

I am starting a January financial "detox" by making January "Buy Nothing" month.  It won't be too hard since I am budget minded.  But it is something fun to do and I can blog about it. - Done.  This was actually a fun test and I will probably kick off January 2016 with another Buy Nothing month