Author Topic: 2015 Certified Used Leaf w/15k miles for $9,000 - no more monthly payments!  (Read 5654 times)

EV4me

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Long time reader first time poster. I love reading this forum and all of MMM's posts. I am dragging my husband kicking and screaming towards FI, and realized I had to let go of some things first as an example. I was driving a 2014 Acura RDX with a $650 per month car payment that we bought new. I know, I know, face punch noted. I decided we had to start following MMM's advice and knew I needed to get rid of that car. I had about $8,300 in equity and didn't want to spend much more than that. After an exhaustive search I decided to look for a used Leaf. Well it turns out that a Nissan dealership just down the road has several used 2015 Leafs that are certified and all have about 24k miles or less on them. All listed for $9,488 or less! I contacted the Internet Manager and we went to test drive one yesterday. I loved it! Kept giggling over how quiet it is! Loved the acceleration. He explained that used Leafs are cheaper here in Georgia than anywhere else right now bc all the ones leased before the huge GA State Tax Credit that went away are coming back in, and the credit that the original owners received is factored into the price. It has great warranties and is Certified like I said, so it was a no brainer. I felt so pleased driving away in my paid for nearly new Electric Vehicle!

I feel so grateful for this blog and forum opening my eyes to all the mistakes we are making and wish I had found this info sooner! Can't wait to see that $650 a month pay off our loan on the new A/C units we got last summer. And then just keep it rolling! Thanks to all!

Oh and he has plenty more Leafs available so let me know if you want his info. He said he had buyers flying in from other states bc the savings was that great. He was a very friendly no pressure fine Irish gentleman. :)

Fireball

• Bristles
I was noticing this yesterday about Leafs in GA, but didn't know why. 2013-2015s with 35k miles or less for like $7-$8k. Great deals.

EV4me

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
I should just go ahead and post his info so y'all don't have to ask.  If it's not allowed then my bad!

Hugh O'Donnell
Internet Manager
Regal Nissan
Roswell, GA
Cell: 770.789.9566
Mrs. Black referred you :)

http://www.regalauto.com/
« Last Edit: March 06, 2017, 05:46:44 AM by EV4me »

EV4me

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Oh and lastly I was able to pay the difference that I owed with my new Chase Sapphire Reserve card that has the 100,000 Ultimate Rewards Bonus Points! I applied in person at a branch to get the bonus offer, I think that Chase is still offering that until March 12th. 👍🏻

MommyCake

• Stubble
So just out of curiosity I checked out the two closest Nissan dealers near me (NJ) to see what prices were like.  There are ZERO leafs (leaves?) available, new or used.  Not even anything on craigslist within the past couple of weeks.  Anyone have any idea why?  No demand here maybe?

Dave1442397

• Handlebar Stache
So just out of curiosity I checked out the two closest Nissan dealers near me (NJ) to see what prices were like.  There are ZERO leafs (leaves?) available, new or used.  Not even anything on craigslist within the past couple of weeks.  Anyone have any idea why?  No demand here maybe?

Sold out? I'm also in NJ and see plenty of them in my area: http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/Nissan/Leaf/Cherry+Hill+NJ-08034?zip=08034&showcaseOwnerId=70922197&startYear=1981&numRecords=25&sortBy=distanceASC&firstRecord=0&endYear=2015&modelCodeList=LEAF&makeCodeList=NISSAN&searchRadius=0

MommyCake

• Stubble
Thanks, I was able to find a dealer 25 miles from me that has one new and one used leaf.  The used was a 2013 with low miles for under 8k!  The dealers closer to me are probably sold out if they're only ordering one at a time.

EV4me

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
That is interesting, the dealer I bought from over the weekend had 11 used ones on Saturday I believe. I know he had 8 of the 2015's with 24k or less for $9,488 and lower. When we walked up they had just reduced a silver 2015 with 23k miles to less than $9k. That's before any negotiating too. It must have to do with the fact that up until mid-2015 GA either led or was one the top states in the country for Leaf sales due to that state tax credit that went away... Y'all come get a deal in Georgia if you are looking!

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
Congrats on the purchase. And even bigger congrats for getting rid of the gas guzzling mobile recliner.

On that note 2015 Leafs on average are selling for roughly 9K pretty much everywhere. I've seen some for less than 9K even. Sure there are some dealerships that are trying to get a premium price for them, but they tend to sit for months.   

Clean Shaven

• Pencil Stache
So, uh... Tell me about that RDX that I assume you are selling. AWD? Trim line, colors?

Midwest

• Handlebar Stache
Why are these so cheap? I'm assuming batter life is a non-issue on a 2015?  New ones are 30k+ and used are less than $10k?

Optimiser

• Pencil Stache
Awesome! That extra $650/month will make a big difference!

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
Why are these so cheap? I'm assuming batter life is a non-issue on a 2015?  New ones are 30k+ and used are less than $10k?

Lease returns coupled with the federal rebates (and possibly state rebates) the owner got when leasing. On top of that the 2017 version has extended range knocking the price for used down even more.

EV4me

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
So, uh... Tell me about that RDX that I assume you are selling. AWD? Trim line, colors?

Ha! We traded it in. 2014, 43k miles, tech package, dark gray...  :) They prob still have it!

Clean Shaven

• Pencil Stache
Oh well.  Too late....

ajachim

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Just bought 2015 with 8k miles for 8700 .. think I did pretty well :)

nouveauRiche

• Bristles

What state (or region) (if you don't mind posting)?

ajachim

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Metro Atlanta .. found it on autotrader at a dealer

ajachim

• 5 O'Clock Shadow

Metro Atlanta dealer

nouveauRiche

• Bristles

Metro Atlanta dealer

Thanks!

FrugalSaver

• Pencil Stache
Long time reader first time poster. I love reading this forum and all of MMM's posts. I am dragging my husband kicking and screaming towards FI, and realized I had to let go of some things first as an example. I was driving a 2014 Acura RDX with a $650 per month car payment that we bought new. I know, I know, face punch noted. I decided we had to start following MMM's advice and knew I needed to get rid of that car. I had about $8,300 in equity and didn't want to spend much more than that. After an exhaustive search I decided to look for a used Leaf. Well it turns out that a Nissan dealership just down the road has several used 2015 Leafs that are certified and all have about 24k miles or less on them. All listed for $9,488 or less! I contacted the Internet Manager and we went to test drive one yesterday. I loved it! Kept giggling over how quiet it is! Loved the acceleration. He explained that used Leafs are cheaper here in Georgia than anywhere else right now bc all the ones leased before the huge GA State Tax Credit that went away are coming back in, and the credit that the original owners received is factored into the price. It has great warranties and is Certified like I said, so it was a no brainer. I felt so pleased driving away in my paid for nearly new Electric Vehicle!

I feel so grateful for this blog and forum opening my eyes to all the mistakes we are making and wish I had found this info sooner! Can't wait to see that $650 a month pay off our loan on the new A/C units we got last summer. And then just keep it rolling! Thanks to all!

Oh and he has plenty more Leafs available so let me know if you want his info. He said he had buyers flying in from other states bc the savings was that great. He was a very friendly no pressure fine Irish gentleman. :)

They don't seem too interested in making sales. I've emailed them and called them.

No response.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian

They don't seem too interested in making sales. I've emailed them and called them.

No response.
Or maybe they're just flooded with calls/email from other eager mustachians? If you want the deal, maybe be a little more persistent? Your response seems just a tad defeatist.

I'm not looking for a car, but if I was, I'd be all over this like a hobo on a ham sandwich. Thanks for posting this and welcome to the forums, EV.

cantgrowone

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Is no one worried about major repairs on this vehicle? This is appealing to me but I'm not sure I'm confident the car will last.

From what I've found a decent vehicle depreciates ~$2,000/year if bought new. So with this I need 5 years with no major repairs.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

ajachim

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Is no one worried about major repairs on this vehicle? This is appealing to me but I'm not sure I'm confident the car will last.

From what I've found a decent vehicle depreciates ~$2,000/year if bought new. So with this I need 5 years with no major repairs.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
no because these cas are covered under manufactured warranty for 60k and 100k for the battery and these cars have much less to go wrong than an internal combustion engine

cantgrowone

• 5 O'Clock Shadow

no because these cas are covered under manufactured warranty for 60k and 100k for the battery and these cars have much less to go wrong than an internal combustion engine

This is good to hear. I told DW I was considering one and she called me crazy.

My daily commute is at most 30 miles, ~8k miles per year. My current car is paid for, 1990 Nissan 300ZX with 163k miles and $40/month insurance. Our plan is me to drive her 2012 Chevy Cruze , paid off with $80/month insurance and get her an SUV. My car won't last forever.

Does this truly sound like a good idea?

I've always thought an electric car would be cool too.

EV4me

• 5 O'Clock Shadow

No response.
Or maybe they're just flooded with calls/email from other eager mustachians? If you want the deal, maybe be a little more persistent? Your response seems just a tad defeatist.

I'm not looking for a car, but if I was, I'd be all over this like a hobo on a ham sandwich. Thanks for posting this and welcome to the forums, EV.

Thank you!

EV4me

• 5 O'Clock Shadow

No response.

Just messaged you about this. I am surprised since he has even followed up with me after the sale, he replied to an email I sent and wrote a thank you note to me. As in pen on paper! Feel free to message me your contact info and I will try to help. I just checked their website and see 4 2015 S's with Quick Charge and LOW miles. And I can tell they have sold several but I see at least one that wasn't there when I looked...

Roland of Gilead

• Handlebar Stache
This thread got me interested in the Leaf as a potential cheap power source for our off grid cabin.

It seems the LEAF has a 380V battery but also uses a 12V SLA.  It charges that with a 1.7kW DC-DC converter.  This is info from 2013 so I do not know if it has changed in 2015.

The 2015 LEAF has a 24kW battery.  Even at 50% efficiency, getting the juice from the 12V side and converting it back to 120VAC for our cabin it would be 12kW.   To get 12kW of storage in lead acid batteries would mean a bank of about 14 to 16 group 31 batteries or thereabouts.   If you used AGM batteries that were maintenance free like the LEAF, it would be around $4,000.   You then need a charging system, which is built into the LEAF.   Plus when you need to move the batteries for some reason, you just hop in the seat and drive away.

We are going to have several kilowatts of solar on the cabin which could keep the LEAF charged and run our stuff during sunny days and we would use the LEAF battery capacity in the evening/night and on rainy days.

I mean it has me thinking....24kW of protected, warrantied battery with charging system for $8500?  And you get a car for free? 

Feivel2000

• Bristles
This price is unbelievable. I checked, the same car costs around 20,000€ here in Germany.

cantgrowone

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
@EV4Me I took one for an overnight test drive. Is there anything I should look for or pay attention to?

It's a 2015 S with quick charging 18k miles. It has both large and small charging ports. I'm having trouble determining if it has the DC quick charge and 6.6kW charger. There's many light scratches on the car and scuffed up hub caps is all that I see wrong with it. Dealer is asking $9,995 but I know I can get it cheaper, it's been on the lot for at least 30 days.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2017, 01:46:00 PM by cantgrowone »

EV4me

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
@EV4Me I took one for an overnight test drive. Is there anything I should look for or pay attention to?

It's a 2015 S with quick charging 18k miles. It has both large and small charging ports. I'm having trouble determining if it has the DC quick charge and 6.6kW charger. There's many light scratches on the car and scuffed up hub caps is all that I see wrong with it. Dealer is asking $9,995 but I know I can get it cheaper, it's been on the lot for at least 30 days.

As I understand it, the port on the right is for both Level 1 and Level 2 charging, which I have done so far with mine. If you also have a port on the left, that one is for Quick Charging. I haven't needed to do one of those yet, even though the dealership near me offers both for free. Is the one you are looking at Certified Used from a Nissan Dealership? If so then you should be fine! They can't sell them as Certified if the battery has lost any of it's capacity, it comes with free roadside assistance and of course the warranties too. If so you should be great! Congrats! I am having soooo much fun driving it and learning to optimize my driving to get maximum range. You will love it! :)

cantgrowone

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Is the one you are looking at Certified Used from a Nissan Dealership? If so then you should be fine! They can't sell them as Certified if the battery has lost any of it's capacity, it comes with free roadside assistance and of course the warranties too.

It is coming from a Chevy dealership. No Nissan dealer near Birmingham has a Leaf. The battery bars show it has not lost capacity. I wish I had a Bluetooth ODBII reader so I could use the Leaf app. I'll have Nissan check it out if DW doesn't lose her mind when I drive up in Leafy tonight.

Jesstache

• Stubble
Not a leaf but in the same arena:  I just bought a 2015 fiat 500e (only sold in CA and OR) with 5500 (!) miles for $8900.  It's so awesome.  Similar story to the leafs, coming off lease so lots available for a steal. I plan to  sell my 2006 Honda Pilot (w/ 70k miles) for several thousand more than I paid for the fiat.  Gas savings are an added bonus.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
This thread got me interested in the Leaf as a potential cheap power source for our off grid cabin.

It seems the LEAF has a 380V battery but also uses a 12V SLA.  It charges that with a 1.7kW DC-DC converter.  This is info from 2013 so I do not know if it has changed in 2015.

The 2015 LEAF has a 24kW battery.  Even at 50% efficiency, getting the juice from the 12V side and converting it back to 120VAC for our cabin it would be 12kW.   To get 12kW of storage in lead acid batteries would mean a bank of about 14 to 16 group 31 batteries or thereabouts.   If you used AGM batteries that were maintenance free like the LEAF, it would be around $4,000.   You then need a charging system, which is built into the LEAF.   Plus when you need to move the batteries for some reason, you just hop in the seat and drive away.

We are going to have several kilowatts of solar on the cabin which could keep the LEAF charged and run our stuff during sunny days and we would use the LEAF battery capacity in the evening/night and on rainy days.

I mean it has me thinking....24kW of protected, warrantied battery with charging system for $8500?  And you get a car for free?
Oh, I like the way you think!

EV4me

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Ok my last comment on this:
A friend purchased a 2015 from a different dealer here in GA over the weekend. He got a similar price for it. However, his dealer told him the same thing mine did: The price on these in GA will go up after June. That's when the last of the ones leased in 2015 with the high GA state tax credit come back in. So any after that will not have that credit factored into the price. Just something to think about, if you are planning on getting one in Georgia soon. Do it sooner rather than later! Thanks!