Author Topic: Google Chromecast Saved Us from an Expensive Apple  (Read 3457 times)

Chrissy

• Handlebar Stache
Google Chromecast Saved Us from an Expensive Apple
« on: March 02, 2015, 01:36:14 PM »
The fiance and I just moved in together.  Now that we have two televisions, we were looking around at Mac Minis and Apple TVs to simplify our cord situation, but... so 'SPENSIVE!  My guy had an old Chromecast sitting around, did some research, and found it would work just fine with my TV and MBP.  We got it all set up in a heartbeat, completely FREE!

southern granny

• Pencil Stache
Re: Google Chromecast Saved Us from an Expensive Apple
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2015, 07:19:10 PM »
I got the chromecast about a month ago in preparation for cutting the cable at the end of March... I signed up for amazon prime and I am loving it.  I am binge watching Downton Abbey right now.

Chrissy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2015, 02:21:13 PM »
Frugalconfederate, you will never regret giving up cable!  I did it 15 years ago when people still thought it was f**king crazy.  Now, the kids think you're crazy if you can't find everything online...

REfinAnon

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2015, 10:55:29 AM »
I got the chromecast about a month ago in preparation for cutting the cable at the end of March... I signed up for amazon prime and I am loving it.  I am binge watching Downton Abbey right now.

Are you able to watch Downton Abbey through the chromecast? If so please tell me how.

I assume you are referring to past seasons and not the current season.

My antennae reception is terrible so I always wait until they are available online but the PBS website is not compatible with chromecast to the best of my knowledge.

catccc

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2015, 12:52:45 PM »
If it's available online, and you have a device with HDMI ports, your TV can basically be a big monitor.  This has been our method for years now, and it works quite nicely.  If it can be on the laptop screen, it can be on the TV.