Author Topic: Deleted  (Read 3387 times)

bender

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Deleted
« on: May 08, 2017, 07:12:40 AM »
« Last Edit: March 30, 2018, 08:15:45 AM by bender »

Cooper62

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: No professional pics for kids sports
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2017, 11:04:51 AM »
We said no to them this year, as well.  My son plays youth soccer and husband texted to ask if he should order some.  I said no as we have so many pictures over the year just stacking up and I can get some nice shots with the camera for free.

shawndoggy

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2017, 11:16:00 AM »
I started typing something snarky, but changed my mind.  @ $25, it's really not that much money and the pro photos are something that you'll appreciate in the years to come.  In these days of electronic photos that poof into the ether, you may appreciate that overpriced 8x10 15 years from now.

Or maybe not.  On the continuum of stupid things to spend money on, I can think of many dumber ones.

Drifterrider

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2017, 12:17:14 PM »
You can print your pictures at CVS and the like for about $1 each.  Take your memory stick/SD card, etc.

BeanCounter

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2017, 12:36:04 PM »
I started typing something snarky, but changed my mind.  @ $25, it's really not that much money and the pro photos are something that you'll appreciate in the years to come.  In these days of electronic photos that poof into the ether, you may appreciate that overpriced 8x10 15 years from now.

Or maybe not.  On the continuum of stupid things to spend money on, I can think of many dumber ones.
I get what you are saying, but when you think about how many times a year your child is in "professional pictures" it does get to be a little ridiculous. We've got fall school pictures, soccer pictures, golf pictures, spring school pictures, family pictures and then this year First Communion pictures. Not to mention the countless pictures I snap with my phone.
I've started saying no to pictures. One school picture if they are good and family pictures every other year or so is more than enough. It seems like I love the pictures on my phone more anyway. We've gotten some really cute things printed from phone pictures.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2017, 12:40:39 AM »
I agree $25 seems reasonable for pictures and prints, but passing them up, especially if you have other photos is smart.

We skipped newborn photos in favor of ones DH took. They look awesome. A friend mistook our birth announcement postcard for a photographer soliciting business...

Pylortes

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2017, 03:12:13 PM »
I coach soccer and agree these pics are overpriced and usually not necessary.  We often skip the individual pictures- the action shots you can take yourself on the sideline in my opinion are much better/more meaningful.  I'm lucky because my league provides the coach a free team picture (its about the only benefit we receive and I usually end up having to buy some new equipment each season for team use), so I can skip ordering for my own kid and we'll still end up with the team picture which includes both of us anyway. 

firefamily

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2017, 08:49:48 PM »
This year I decided to not even get school pictures from the school.  I am tired of paying $10 per child (the cheapest package) x 4 children every year for mediocre pictures that build clutter in our home and barely get used.  I do, however, like the idea of capturing memories of what each of them looks like once a year, though, so I had them all dress up and took pictures of them outside in our yard with my phone, and they turned out WAY better than the school ones ever had, we had a beautiful background (a forest), and I was able to get better smiles from unstressed kids, and take ones with them in groups with siblings that were adorable.  I wanted some prints so ordered my favorites in exactly the quantities I wanted online for about $10 total for about 40 prints, including shipping.  I don't think I will ever go back to the "professional" ones at the school.

MsSindy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2017, 09:36:07 AM »
I think the important take-away here is that you actually paused and gave some thought as to whether you really wanted/needed the pics, instead of always just 'going with the flow' and being on auto-pilot purchasing.  Or giving the excuse of, 'it's expected', or 'my child will feel left out', or 'it's only $25', or '...'

Good for you!!

SEAK

• Stubble
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2017, 01:54:28 PM »
We skipped my son's baseball team pictures last night and instead rode our bikes around town.