Author Topic: 2 Years Post FIRE  (Read 5235 times)

DoctorOctagon

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
2 Years Post FIRE
« on: August 08, 2016, 11:22:51 PM »
So, August 2014 I quit working in the classic toxic office environment per recommendations on this forum.  I was making about $40k a year; $10k from my side business/$30k from crappy job... and over the course of six years managed to invest about $120k in S&P type stocks.  The thought was that I could work part time doing IT/computer/network consulting and just enjoy life and lay back, with expenses of about $1,000 a month, $500 a month in cash flow from investments, and part time computer work covering the rest.

Fast forward two years.  IT business grew from a side business into a $11,000 a MONTH revenue monster.  I'm working 15 hours a day on the stuff now, and am thinking about hiring my first employees and building the company.  Thanks to you guys expenses are still low, about $1,200 a month.

It's ALWAYS better to give up the toxic money and do what you love even if you are cutting your income.  The first year out things were slow and actually cooled off for 5 months, but you inevitably network with the right people and and opportunities open up that would not have otherwise been possible.  Worst-case?  You're "FIREd" and can live a minimalist life.  Best-case, you end up making way more doing something that's enjoyable.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2016, 11:53:03 PM by DoctorOctagon »

Stachey

• Handlebar Stache
Re: 2 Years Post FIRE
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2016, 05:06:17 AM »
Very nice...way to go!  That's very inspirational.

amyj05

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2016, 08:29:57 AM »
This is awesome! Congratulations and thank you for sharing your story with us!!!

Full Beard

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2016, 12:33:31 AM »
Very cool!  Congratulations!!

PowerMustache

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2016, 01:50:32 AM »
Thank you for sharing. This is inspirational for me; I am facing a similar choice to the one you faced two years ago, to quit soon or work a while longer -- your experience reminds me that it is ok to pull the plug with some uncertainty and see what happens. My office job is not toxic, just not as good as freedom, so that makes the choice a little less clear in my case.

HAPPYINAZ

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2016, 02:50:47 PM »
Nicely done!

Mr. Green

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2016, 03:03:33 PM »
Baller!

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2016, 04:10:11 PM »
Sounds great other than the working 15 hours a day part...  congrats tho!  Do you have plans to scale back your hours when you bring employees on?

a plan comes together

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2016, 02:10:08 PM »
It's ALWAYS better to give up the toxic money and do what you love even if you are cutting your income.

Congrats, glad it paid off for you. However, 1 anecdotal success story does not equal "ALWAYS".

Cannot Wait!

• Handlebar Stache
  • FIREd 2016 @ 49
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2016, 02:22:57 PM »
Badass!  Congrats!

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2016, 03:48:08 AM »
Nice!

Going entrepreneur can work out really well, if you have skills that are in demand and/or you know how to leverage (time/money/people).

Sounds like you're enjoying yourself, for now. Are there any plans to eventually FIRE?
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Davids

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2016, 09:00:36 AM »
First off congrats on doing something you enjoy. But not to sound all technical here but are you really FIRE, you are working 15 hours a day as you say in your thread. While you may enjoy it I have to say you are not "FIRE"

Regardless of semantics on terminology, congrats on doing what you love doing!!!

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
  • FU @ 22. F.I.R.E before 23
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2016, 12:17:21 PM »
First off congrats on doing something you enjoy. But not to sound all technical here but are you really FIRE, you are working 15 hours a day as you say in your thread. While you may enjoy it I have to say you are not "FIRE"

Regardless of semantics on terminology, congrats on doing what you love doing!!!

Don't listen to IRP. You are kicking ass. Good work, and good luck for the future!