Author Topic: 2-week, 3-city trip south for under 1,000 CAD  (Read 1266 times)

TightFistedScot

• Stubble
2-week, 3-city trip south for under 1,000 CAD
« on: December 15, 2016, 06:10:35 AM »
Well it is officially Winter in Southern Ontario (and I guess everywhere in Canada). Like a lot of Canadians, I have grown to detest this snowy frigid season. In my late 20s I had already begun dreaming of my future snowbird lifestyle.

I'm looking forward to a warm 2-week escape mid-February. I will be spending most of my time in Puerto Vallarta, bookended by some 22-hour layovers in American cities I have never visited (Dallas and LA)!

I got a flight to Puerto Vallarta for $450. My first layover is in Dallas, Texas. I'll roam the city through the afternoon and evening, doing some exploring, and probably drink some beers before I head back to the airport for a very early morning flight to PV. Anyone in Dallas? Where should I go? I want an authentic Texas experience. But I should say I am also a queer person (though I can pass as straight) and hipster so somewhere that will be comfortable.

I will be staying for free with my parents in Puerto Vallarta as they are there for the whole Winter. So most of my meals will also be covered by them.

Then another 22-hour layover in LA (I've never been to California). I have about 3 friends who happen to be living in LA now so I will tour around with them before catching another early morning flight back to Toronto.

Most of my costs will be the flight itself, and then whatever costs associated with my Dallas and LA adventures. I had thought about getting an air bnb in Dallas, but I think I will forgo that cost, and just walk around or find a microbrewery and then head back to the airport for 3am.

I don't have to take any time off work as some of my work I will bring with me, and I don't have a traditional 9-5 job.

I did a similar trip to stay with my parents last winter, but without the layovers.

What are your Dallas and LA recommendations? Cheap/good places to eat and tourist attractions? Thanks!

Ben Hogan

• Stubble
Re: 2-week, 3-city trip south for under 1,000 CAD
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2016, 11:09:23 AM »
Grew up in Dallas, I'm guessing you can go either Texas food, aka BBQ, or Tex mex.

Bartley's BBQ is pretty close to DFW airport.

Or just say F it, and go all out. Get a Uber about 30 minutes to Deep Ellum, walk around bar hop all you can handle. Stop at Pepe’s & Mito’s Mexican Café, fill ur tummy up(Aka nap fuel) and uber back to the airport.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!