Author Topic: 2 Months in Europe!  (Read 3500 times)

CatamaranSailor

• Stubble
2 Months in Europe!
« on: October 26, 2016, 10:36:25 AM »
So, my 15 year old son and I just got back from spending 2 months in Europe. We "slow traveled" through Switzerland, France and the UK. We saw the Swiss Alps, the beaches of Normandy, the U.S. Cemetery in Normandy, worked on a horse ranch in France, walked the decks of the Cutty Sark, stood in the spot where Anne Boleyn realized Henry probably qualified as an abusive husband, rode the London subway (that's "The Tube" to you 'mericans) and saw a London cabbie try to pick a fight with a tiny little girl on a scooter, walked the set where they made all the Harry Potter movies and ate lunch on Baker Street (of 221 B fame). We-had-a-ball!

I'm not sure the qualifies as "Badassity" but I will say it never would have been possible pre MMM.

tonysemail

• Pencil Stache
Re: 2 Months in Europe!
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2016, 10:51:21 AM »
that's awesome! 
that's a fantastic age for making memories that will last a lifetime.
congrats on taking an epic sounding trip :)

Miss Piggy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2016, 10:59:21 AM »
Wow!!!!  This sounds like an absolutely fabulous trip. Way to create some lifelong memories with your son!!!!

Gretamom

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2016, 07:31:19 PM »
My husband and I took my three children 11, 7, & 6 (at the time) to Europe for six weeks the summer of 2013. We had the best time ever! We even got to stay at the Palace in Scotland that I stayed at while studying abroad there 20 years ago. Nostalgic to say the least! My kids love to travel. The Wanderlust runs strong in our family!

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2016, 10:36:32 AM »
So, my 15 year old son and I just got back from spending 2 months in Europe. We "slow traveled" through Switzerland, France and the UK. We saw the Swiss Alps, the beaches of Normandy, the U.S. Cemetery in Normandy, worked on a horse ranch in France, walked the decks of the Cutty Sark, stood in the spot where Anne Boleyn realized Henry probably qualified as an abusive husband, rode the London subway (that's "The Tube" to you 'mericans) and saw a London cabbie try to pick a fight with a tiny little girl on a scooter, walked the set where they made all the Harry Potter movies and ate lunch on Baker Street (of 221 B fame). We-had-a-ball!

I'm not sure the qualifies as "Badassity" but I will say it never would have been possible pre MMM.

That's amazing. What an awesome story!  :)
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2016, 12:08:09 PM »

Awesome!

Shockers

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2016, 08:54:28 PM »
What kinds of places did you stay over night in?  Did you plan those before you flew there or as you went?  How did you arrange working at the the horse ranch?

CatamaranSailor

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2016, 02:29:42 PM »
What kinds of places did you stay over night in?  Did you plan those before you flew there or as you went?  How did you arrange working at the the horse ranch?

We divided our time between doing "workaways" (https://www.workaway.info/) and just being tourists. Our start/end dates were set, as were the times we committed to being "Workawayers." The rest of the time we kind of just went where we wanted. We went to Whitby, York and Oxford. All very cool and not part of the original itinerary. We did AirBnB...which I would NOT suggest. In York we rented a house through VRBO. In London we just did a hotel. We mostly ate out of grocery stores, which helped keeps costs down. That and my son would eat sandwiches for every single meal if I let him.

sparkytheop

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2016, 03:52:02 PM »
My son and I did a 5 week trip in 2015 (when he was 17), definitely created some great memories!  We used booking.com and scheduled a night or two once we knew where we would be heading.  We went over with some "must sees" and made up the rest as we went along.

Where is one place you really want to revisit?

CatamaranSailor

• Stubble
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2016, 08:46:42 AM »
My son and I did a 5 week trip in 2015 (when he was 17), definitely created some great memories!  We used booking.com and scheduled a night or two once we knew where we would be heading.  We went over with some "must sees" and made up the rest as we went along.

Where is one place you really want to revisit?

Paris. We changed trains (got to see the Louvre from the taxi) but did not spend any time there. Told my son it was a trip by itself.

Also, would have liked to spent some more time in Portsmouth, UK.

AND...we missed Jeremy, Hammond and May by a week in Whitby!! http://www.telegraph.co.uk/on-demand/2016/10/13/jeremy-clarkson-pictured-filming-the-grand-tour-in-whitby/