Author Topic: –18 and snowing and I biked today!  (Read 3288 times)

Lady Mustache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
–18 and snowing and I biked today!
« on: January 08, 2015, 01:02:19 PM »
I've been doing a good job of breaking the car habit and biking just about everywhere. When the windchill dipped below zero, I took a break for a few days.

Today's windchill is -18. Decided to give it a try today and bike to yoga (2 miles RT). Except for a few minutes of frozen eyeballs, it was totally fine. Snowed on the way home, so I rode slowly. For the most part, I was not cold, and it was better than driving.

Incidentally, since I started biking to yoga, I go more frequently. The one time I drove, I ended up missing class because I couldn't find parking. So there! Biking is awesome!

StanStasher

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: –18 and snowing and I biked today!
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2015, 01:16:28 PM »
Awesome. A++++!

MakingSenseofCents

• Bristles
    • Making Sense of Cents
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2015, 01:21:17 PM »
Wow that's awesome. Great job!

enigmaT120

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2015, 01:22:28 PM »
Badass.  Though I think I would have bundled up and walked a mile each way, rather than bike.  Maybe wear my motorcycle riding suit, it's warm!

crazy jane

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2015, 01:27:04 PM »
Ski goggles for your eyes. They are what keep me on the bike through the winter.

Lady Mustache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2015, 01:30:56 PM »
Thanks! It's a short ride and lightweight base layers are magical. I'm feeling good about shifting my mindset to biking as the default mode. It's starting to feel like a drag when I have to drive somewhere. Also, I'll be walking the dog later, so it's nice to break it up a bit.

I've been thinking about ski goggles. Costco had some for about $30. Might check that out.

MrSal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2015, 10:00:51 PM »
Lightweight FTW.

My advice is just using a rashguard... like one of those for surfing. I had one from my surfing days and it's what I use when I'm cold... I could be in 20 degree weather with a rasguard underneath and just a t-shirt on top. In extreme weather I may even double up and have two rashguards and jjust normal autumn clothing.

FoodieCycles

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Foodie Cycles Blog
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2015, 05:01:13 AM »
NOW THAT is pretty bad ass. I drive to yoga a few times a week. 10miles RT, hilly but easily bike-able with my biking experience, however the cold is brutal to ride in! Living on the side of a mountain it get's pretty gnarly. (if you want to call Wachusett a real mountain!) You're my inspiration to start riding my bike to and from yoga, the library etc. Solid work

mskyle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2015, 10:06:21 AM »
Check Amazon for ski goggles - you can usually find a decent pair for below $20.

BCBiker

• Stubble
    • Business Casual Biker - Health, Wealth, and Mental Stealth BTYB Bicycle Commuting
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2015, 11:18:43 PM »
Great Story! It is a shame that so many people think that biking daily is such a difficult thing. It is definitely a matter of being prepared and just making it what you do (a habit).

The best part about consistently riding in the cold is that you become quite comfortable in temperatures that non-bikers cannot imagine being out in.

Syonyk

• Magnum Stache
    • Syonyk's Project Blog
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2015, 09:16:10 AM »
The one time I drove, I ended up missing class because I couldn't find parking. So there! Biking is awesome!

Story of my life... my workplace is radically over-full right now until the new building comes online, so we've got parking, then valet parking to stack up everywhere they can, then overflow parking with a shuttle... it's really rather silly.  I can show up whenever I want and zip right into the bike parking (which, actually, is pretty full - there are a lot of people who bike).

I loved it in college - I could beat people pretty much anywhere in town, because by the time they walked from the dorms to their car in the parking lot a few blocks away, I was well on my way, and I could park right up front wherever I was going, and they had to find a spot, park, walk, etc.  People initially laughed when I said, "I'll wait for you there," but they pretty quickly figured out I was serious. :)

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!