Author Topic: 10% cash rewards (Upromise)  (Read 2898 times)

Raeon

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Comparison is the thief of joy
10% cash rewards (Upromise)
« on: January 31, 2017, 10:42:27 PM »
I haven't seen any talk of Upromise here.  The benefits are great.  You shop their online mall (most major retailers).  Provided you visit their site through the Upromise mall you will get 5% credited to your upromise "college" savings.   If you apply for and use their Barclay card, you will get an additional 5% back from Barclay.  There is no limit I've seen on rewards.  Also, there is a $50 1st purchase bonus when signing up for the card.

The money goes into a "college savings" account.  You can request a payout for any/no reason and they will cut you a check for your money.  There's no burden of proving it is for college. Minimum cash out=$10. Anything over $1000 requires a notary or signature guarantee, so keep it below that for convenience' sake.

Admittedly, it's not very good for "real world" purchases like gas, bills, or groceries.  It's mainly for online purchases.  If you happen to be wanting to buy something online, it's worth clicking through Upromise first.  I've purchased my last 2 sets of tires through them via tirebuyer.com.  I not only beat discount tire's price by a fair margin, but I received an additional 10% back and the tires were sent straight to my local tire shop.  I just showed up and paid $15/tire for mount/balance. 

Walmart is on here as a 5% site (+5% from card=10%) provided you do the "shop online, pay in-store" option.  Groceries are eligible in this manner. 
Lowes is on here, but not Home Depot.  Many others as well.  Just make sure you bookmark Upromise and ONLY visit an eligible site through the link on the Upromise page. You get your credit through tracking via cookies as well as company data. 

This community isn't likely to do a ton of "shopping" but it's always nice to save some extra money when we do! This cash back is generally on top of all other offers and promo codes.

Full list of participating sites here.

Bonus: Barclay is an eligible card for tradelines, so you can start seasoning it for use later on!  (just to be on the safe side, I would recommend keeping your rewards balance mostly cashed out if you use it for this).

Note: I'm not affiliated in any way, and not looking to gain anything from anyone. Just wanted to share.

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
Re: 10% cash rewards (Upromise)
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2017, 05:12:51 AM »
I used Upromise once. Absolutely hated it. I would much rather get actual cash back. It's been a few years so perhaps it has changed since.

Raeon

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Comparison is the thief of joy
Re: 10% cash rewards (Upromise)
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2017, 01:36:30 PM »
I can't really speak for it too much from years ago.  I know it was initially mostly a confusing virtual coupon clipping thing where you could have your family members sign up their purchases somehow.  It was never all that lucrative to me at that time.  Now, the online mall has made it quite simple to earn and receive your money.  It's an extra step or two compared to a "normal" cash back card, but for me, clicking an extra couple clicks to get 10% instead of 2-3% is well worth it!

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!