Author Topic: 1 hour tool repair = $130  (Read 1645 times)

Greg

• Handlebar Stache
1 hour tool repair = $130
« on: March 10, 2014, 02:01:07 PM »
Recently one of my compressors (I design/build, so I have two in case I have two crews) stopped filling up and turning off.  Meaning, it would run and run, so I started turning it on to pump it up and turning it off to use it.

Yesterday I found the problem quite by accident.  I felt an airflow where there shouldn't have been any, and closer inspection revealed a hole in the hose from the compressor motor on top to the tank underneath, very close to the compressor housing.

I dismantled the motor case (plastic assembled with screws, found one missing) and cut the bad hose end off (about 2") and reinstalled the hose end with a new clamp.  Dusted out the case and reassembled the motor housing including the missing screw.  While I was at it I replaced one of the connectors of the hose I use in the shop to eliminate leaks there.  I had the hose connector on my workbench already.

I wish I'd done this sooner!  No more leaks, less noise and hassle.

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
  • Expat Brit living in the New World..:)
Re: 1 hour tool repair = $130
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2014, 06:19:30 PM »
Cool.. Yes I have had the blow off valve permanently stuck open on one of my portables.. Nice job..:)

When they get old and carry over oil they automatically lube the air tools for you as well...:)

Frank

Rural

• Walrus Stache
Re: 1 hour tool repair = $130
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2014, 06:39:36 AM »
Hey, thanks for posting this! One of ours has the same problem, and we should check for a similar solution. Not that it gets a tremendous amount of use anymore with our house done, but still. One of these days we'll get around to doing trim…