Author Topic: "Thanks MMM!"  (Read 8738 times)

Nords

• Magnum Stache
    • Military Retirement & Financial Independence blog
"Thanks MMM!"
« on: July 08, 2016, 08:51:48 AM »
Mustachianism has infected another generation of ohana Nords.

When our daughter started college in 2010, I began sending her a weekly e-mail titled "Dad's Weekend Links".  They're just a half-dozen articles or blog posts, a sentence or two with each link, culled from the dozens of blogs that I scan every day in my RSS feed.  (Hint:  RockstarFinance.com.) Most of the topics are about personal finances or lifestyle with "XYZ Tips For Millennials".  My notes to her say things like "Made your Roth IRA contribution yet?", "You already understand this", "Look how far you've come since high school" or "Let me know if you have questions about it."  Maybe I'll add some neighborhood gossip.

As you parents would expect, I never get a response to those e-mails.  (I do it more for my own desire to stay in touch.)  But once in a while I've skipped a week, and a few days later I'll get a query:  "Where's your weekend links e-mail?"  That's how I know I'm doing it right-- it's pure parenting gold.

Every few months in those e-mails I'll include a MMM blog post or forum thread-- less than 1% of the content.  I'm sure she enjoys the concept of badassity and the occasional thrill of parentally-endorsed profanity.  My spouse and I have been financially independent for over half of our daughter's life, so she already keenly appreciates the rewards of pursuing FIRE.  Especially the parts where we got up early so that she went to high school and I went surfing, but I digress.

Today our daughter's two years into her Navy career and she just promoted to O-2.  She recently married (another O-2 who's a great guy), and she's working 60+ hours/week at Nuclear Power School.  (Her spouse is stationed on a Norfolk ship and he's currently deployed to a combat zone.)  They both have three years left until they can leave active duty for the Reserves or Guard.  Our contact is limited to an occasional Facebook message or a rare phone call.  But my spouse and I are visiting our daughter in her Charleston home this weekend, and last night we all talked story until we're practically hoarse. 

Of course we spent the first hour yakking about Nuclear Power School-- both what she's doing now and what I did there 33 years ago.  Little has changed.  She is such a nuke.  There's probably a gene for that.

But later, about an hour into our personal-finance updates, she said "You know, I really enjoy MMM's posts.  It's made a big difference for me to get rid of a lot of my stuff, and my spouse is much better with his finances."  I asked her what she'd do all day if they saved/invested enough to stop working in her 30s, and she said "Duh, I'd live my life like you guys, Dad."  I asked her what her spouse would do and she said "Are you kidding me?!?  He has so many projects he wants to work on now that he'd never be bored.  You and MMM have shown him that!"

More parenting gold.  Thanks, MMM!

The two of them are saving over 50% of their income.  (For the next six months it's closer to 75%.). I've asked her about affluenza, "economic outpatient care", trust-fund babies, stunted personal growth, and smothered initiative.  She's heard of those concepts but she doesn't see how they'd apply to her & spouse.  She'd rather base her choices on their quality of life than on their quantity of finances.

Then we talked about how her 1999 Honda CR-V (that she bought used in 2012) just had another check-engine light at 175,000 miles.  Instead of another $500 repair, she replaced it with a 2011 Toyota RAV4 SUV.  She bicycles to work 6-7 days per week and will mostly use the RAV for errands... and conjugal road trips to Norfolk. 

She also assured us parents that somewhere in the next 5-10 years we'd be grandparents, but that's a whole 'nother thread.  Yikes.

CheapskateWife

• Handlebar Stache
  • Location: Hill Country, TX - Being a blueberry in the Tomato Soup
  • FIRE'd and Loving it!
Re: "Thanks MMM!"
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2016, 09:08:58 AM »
I can tell you are justifiably one proud papa!

And thank you for sharing the weekend links email idea...I think my "big Cheapskate kid" would respond well to something like this!  Going to be stealing this technique!

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2016, 09:26:22 AM »
Hurrah!

jbjr

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2016, 10:04:07 AM »
That's fantastic. Congrats on raising such a great kid.

I went through NPS in the early 2000's. I actually found some of the old textbooks online a while back and thumbed through them to see what I remembered. Reactor Principles and the Chem/Material Theory oddly didn't stick all that well 15 years later. I can still tell you the benefits of a positive void coefficient though. Yeah, there's definitely a gene.

Nords

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2016, 10:22:00 AM »
I went through NPS in the early 2000's. I actually found some of the old textbooks online a while back and thumbed through them to see what I remembered. Reactor Principles and the Chem/Material Theory oddly didn't stick all that well 15 years later. I can still tell you the benefits of a positive void coefficient though. Yeah, there's definitely a gene.
Oddly enough, they're still learning the same S3G Core 3 in an S5W plant curriculum that I covered 33 years ago.  (I doubt they'll learn how to balance a magnetic amplifier, but I'll have to wait until my daughter covers EE.)  I think the curriculum is in this time warp because the two moored training subs are both S5W plants.  They won't upgrade to D2G Core II until the current training subs are replaced with LOS ANGELES class hulls.

When I was on my first submarine in 1984, both the USS DANIEL WEBSTER and the USS SAM RAYBURN were still going to sea with live ICBMs.  Technically I guess their engineering spaces are still operational... And perhaps they still have to store the paper logs for eventual transfer/archiving at Naval Reactors.

Meanwhile my daughter says that last year she took logs on her destroyer (commissioned in 1997) using a Palm Pilot. 

For those who are still reading this post:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear_Power_School

jbjr

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2016, 12:00:06 PM »
Oddly enough, they're still learning the same S3G Core 3 in an S5W plant curriculum that I covered 33 years ago.  (I doubt they'll learn how to balance a magnetic amplifier, but I'll have to wait until my daughter covers EE.)  I think the curriculum is in this time warp because the two moored training subs are both S5W plants.  They won't upgrade to D2G Core II until the current training subs are replaced with LOS ANGELES class hulls.

When I was on my first submarine in 1984, both the USS DANIEL WEBSTER and the USS SAM RAYBURN were still going to sea with live ICBMs.  Technically I guess their engineering spaces are still operational... And perhaps they still have to store the paper logs for eventual transfer/archiving at Naval Reactors.

Meanwhile my daughter says that last year she took logs on her destroyer (commissioned in 1997) using a Palm Pilot. 

For those who are still reading this post:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear_Power_School

I'm not too surprised the book learning hasn't changed much in that stretch of time. I learned the same in NPS then went to NPTU in Ballston spa and did prototype at MARF (an S7G I  think) then went to the fleet and served on a boat with an S6G plant and D2W core. So the different plants/cores seem pretty interchangeable when it comes to actually standing watch on a boat.

I was an MM/ELT though. So once I hit the fleet I stopped using 90% of everything I learned in power school.

Also, just to keep on topic, last weekend I walked my step-daughter though the basics of setting up a Vangaurd IRA. :)

tonysemail

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2016, 12:16:48 PM »
Wow.  that is very badass!

Congrats and thanks for sharing this long story.

I like the idea of weekend links.

It's great and I hope to infect my little ones with MMM too

couponvan

• Walrus Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2016, 12:37:27 PM »
Congrats on the awesome parenting!

FYI - I think you should send us MMM'ers your weekly reading links too in the journals.  Nord's weekly reading list....I'd subscribe! :-)

I wish I had parents that educated me about finances.

andy85

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2016, 01:04:44 PM »
Congrats on the awesome parenting!

FYI - I think you should send us MMM'ers your weekly reading links too in the journals.  Nord's weekly reading list....I'd subscribe! :-)

I wish I had parents that educated me about finances.
Nords mentioned it in his op...but check out rockstarfinance. If you sign up you get daily emails (weekdays only) containing 3 articles from around the web. Some are throwaways, some are decent, some are super solid. Nice to get a wide range of financial related topics though.

okits

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2016, 01:13:29 PM »
That is heartwarming and lovely to hear.  :) I'm definitely hoping that by high school our kids will be seeing us loving the ER/semi-ER life.  There's nothing more powerful than setting an example (love the image of you getting up to go to your surf non-job.  :)

MakeSmarterDecisions

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Make Smarter Decisions
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2016, 04:42:27 PM »
I love the idea of weekend links and plan on stealing it! My kids are in college and heading there and they know all about the MMM community. They ask questions sometimes which makes me know I am on the right track with them.  The weekend links will keep the gentle push going as they start making their own lives!

Nords

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2016, 06:56:00 PM »
Thanks, everyone. 

As Andy85 says, RockStar Finance grew out of blogger J. Money's personal habit of reading a couple hundred blogs every week.  He's sharing the site revenue with a partner, and together they put together the "best of the web" along with quotes or occasional themes.

On the blogger side, we're all hoping to get spotlighted a few times a year.  It's usually good for 2x-4x the daily traffic.

For a more intellectual dose of weekly reading, try Mike Piper's Oblivious Investor Friday links-- or Michael Kitces' "Weekend Reading For CFPs" at Kitces.com. 

couponvan

• Walrus Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2016, 10:30:06 PM »
Thanks, everyone. 

As Andy85 says, RockStar Finance grew out of blogger J. Money's personal habit of reading a couple hundred blogs every week.  He's sharing the site revenue with a partner, and together they put together the "best of the web" along with quotes or occasional themes.

On the blogger side, we're all hoping to get spotlighted a few times a year.  It's usually good for 2x-4x the daily traffic.

For a more intellectual dose of weekly reading, try Mike Piper's Oblivious Investor Friday links-- or Michael Kitces' "Weekend Reading For CFPs" at Kitces.com.

I will check these out! Thank you Andy85 too!

FiveSigmas

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2016, 10:42:44 PM »
Fantastic to hear Nords!

I remember visiting the San Francisco science museum years ago and playing with an exhibit that featured an enormous cast-iron pendulum (maybe a ton or so?), ring-fenced by a barrier that prevented getting too close. On the barrier was a long string with a dinky little magnet on the end of it. You could throw the magnet at the pendulum and it would stick, but if you gave any more than a tiny little tug, the magnet would pop right off without the pendulum budging. If you pulled ever so gently at just the right frequency, though, the pendulum would, after a minute or so, start to move visibly. Eventually, if you kept at it, the momentum would grow incredibly and impressively fierce.

Moral of the story: never under-estimate the power of a well-timed and periodic nudge (of course, having bright, highly motivated offspring doesn't hurt, either ;-) ).

Nords

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2016, 05:36:28 AM »
Moral of the story: never under-estimate the power of a well-timed and periodic nudge (of course, having bright, highly motivated offspring doesn't hurt, either ;-) ).
Heh-- my spouse calls that "nagging".

Our daughter's upbringing motivated her for the ER lifestyle, of course-- but Navy sea duty has strengthened and accelerated her commitment while teaching her how to live a frugal minimalist lifestyle...

Zamboni

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2016, 05:44:26 AM »
Wow, this is awesome! Sounds like your daughter really has her act together thanks to an excellent upbringing.

EricL

« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2016, 08:04:24 AM »
Excellent! I hope your daughter and SiL's example inspires their fellow officers.

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2016, 09:25:13 AM »
I actually found some of the old textbooks online a while back and thumbed through them to see what I remembered.
These textbooks?  http://www.navsea.navy.mil/Home/NNPTC/Power-School/Study-material/

I ask because several of my current and ex-colleagues are former Navy nukes. 
  It is nice to know what they consider "basic NPS curriculum".

A common surprise nukes have when they actually see a commercial power reactor, is how gigantic they are compared to a naval reactor.

Nords:
Thanks for the positive post, a nice contrast to some of the "train wreck"  threads about adult children.
also nice pointers to alternative-to-MMM blogs to help avoid mental stagnation

Nords

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2016, 10:19:14 AM »
A common surprise nukes have when they actually see a commercial power reactor, is how gigantic they are compared to a naval reactor.
Naval Reactors does the same in their scale-model room.  It's quite a contrast to see a tiny little submarine pressure vessel next to the ones used on aircraft carriers. 

Nords:
Thanks for the positive post, a nice contrast to some of the "train wreck"  threads about adult children.
also nice pointers to alternative-to-MMM blogs to help avoid mental stagnation
You're welcome!  I posted this humblebrag because Pete's writing has made more of an impression on my daughter than any other mentor she's had during the last decade.  And I'm proud of her for figuring out her priorities. 

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
  • Lovin' the Mustachian life!
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2016, 10:58:40 AM »
This is very heart-warming and inspiring :)

Pretty awesome!

caitlin87

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2016, 01:59:45 PM »
Can you be my dad?! :-D

Just kidding.

Kinda. :-)

My dad is 69, lives in a trailer park on $1200 a month SS and thinks he's going to die any day now. Has being talking like that for the last five years. Total victim mentality. Just learned to use the Internet in the last few years. I love him, but he drives me nuts with the passivity. Blames everything on my mom (they got divorced three years ago after 28 years). Crazy. But it looks like I can find all kinds of awesome substitute "MM dads" here :-D You rock!!!

Nords

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2016, 03:08:41 PM »
Great inspiring story.  I think we currently have the same CRV your daughter eventually dumped, and I can't get my wife to replace it even though we could write a check for whatever car she wanted.  She loves the size and utility of those great cars, well into 150k miles+.  Frugal values become habits!

PS I almost became a navy nuke during college and visited the school.  Thank them for their service to our country.
At that mileage, she had a bad front left wheel bearing.  The fuel injectors were either clogged or worn out.  And who knows how much longer the air conditioning would hold out...

I'll pass on your thanks!  She said the other day that she thinks she's found her tribe...

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2016, 02:41:24 AM »
What an awesome story.

I've enjoyed hearing the stories about your daughter over the years, gives me good parenting ideas to steal.

The "Dad's links" email is brilliant.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Nords

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2016, 03:03:37 AM »
Thanks, Joe!
I've enjoyed hearing the stories about your daughter over the years, gives me good parenting ideas to steal.
We started using David Owen's "First National Bank Of Dad" as soon as our daughter stopped putting money in her mouth.

SoccerLounge

• Stubble
« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2016, 10:38:43 AM »
With the evidence in this thread, I think I'm going to start a new financial advisory for this new-found specialty audience. I can see it now...

SoccerLounge's Six-Factor Formula for Financial Independence
"Every Little Frugal Person Loves Their Financial Net"

Using my plan, you'll be sure to keep your wealth for the next generation!

Don't let excessive products poison your finances - BURN THEM OUT of your life with my comprehensive strategy!
Don't take decades to reach maximum financial power - withdraw excessive control from your cashflow, and see it grow dramatically!
Need cash now? Or just later? Not to worry! We offer both prompt and delayed profits!
Some financial advisors just shotgun answers at you... our plan gets you financially qualified FAST!
Don't let yourself join A Gang of financial clowns - when it comes to being number one at money control, our program is the #1 MC you need!

Join today, and you'll soon wish you hadn't! I mean, you'll love it. Now just sign here.

;)
« Last Edit: July 17, 2016, 10:44:21 AM by SoccerLounge »

Nords

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2016, 10:54:43 PM »
I think you're on to a business model here!

I'm sorry to say that after 35 years I still immediately recognized that mnemonic.  And no, it is indeed not family-friendly...

Axecleaver

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2016, 08:57:13 AM »
Great parenting success story. We're lucky enough to be geographically close to Little Axe in college, so we can do a weekly face to face meetup. I still like the weekly email format and will start doing that once she goes back to the dorms in August.

A lot of parenting/mentoring is continuing to provide guided advice, even when it isn't acknowledged or appreciated. They're still watching, even if they never tell you. How great for you that you got a "you were right, Dad" moment.

mynewchoice

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2016, 05:52:57 AM »
Thanks for sharing your story Nords, and congratulations on what appears to be a job well done!  I absolutely love the idea of doing a "Dad's Weekend Links" email for my boys and just signed up to get the emails from RockstarFinance.com to help me start compiling my list of links.

CheapskateWife

• Handlebar Stache
  • Location: Hill Country, TX - Being a blueberry in the Tomato Soup
  • FIRE'd and Loving it!
« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2016, 07:53:29 AM »

Now you have to clue us in!  What does this mean????????

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #29 on: July 19, 2016, 10:42:53 AM »
Mustachianism has infected another generation of ohana Nords.

When our daughter started college in 2010, I began sending her a weekly e-mail titled "Dad's Weekend Links".  They're just a half-dozen articles or blog posts, a sentence or two with each link, culled from the dozens of blogs that I scan every day in my RSS feed.  (Hint:  RockstarFinance.com.) Most of the topics are about personal finances or lifestyle with "XYZ Tips For Millennials".  My notes to her say things like "Made your Roth IRA contribution yet?", "You already understand this", "Look how far you've come since high school" or "Let me know if you have questions about it."  Maybe I'll add some neighborhood gossip.

As you parents would expect, I never get a response to those e-mails.  (I do it more for my own desire to stay in touch.)  But once in a while I've skipped a week, and a few days later I'll get a query:  "Where's your weekend links e-mail?"  That's how I know I'm doing it right-- it's pure parenting gold.

Every few months in those e-mails I'll include a MMM blog post or forum thread-- less than 1% of the content.  I'm sure she enjoys the concept of badassity and the occasional thrill of parentally-endorsed profanity.  My spouse and I have been financially independent for over half of our daughter's life, so she already keenly appreciates the rewards of pursuing FIRE.  Especially the parts where we got up early so that she went to high school and I went surfing, but I digress.

Today our daughter's two years into her Navy career and she just promoted to O-2.  She recently married (another O-2 who's a great guy), and she's working 60+ hours/week at Nuclear Power School.  (Her spouse is stationed on a Norfolk ship and he's currently deployed to a combat zone.)  They both have three years left until they can leave active duty for the Reserves or Guard.  Our contact is limited to an occasional Facebook message or a rare phone call.  But my spouse and I are visiting our daughter in her Charleston home this weekend, and last night we all talked story until we're practically hoarse. 

Of course we spent the first hour yakking about Nuclear Power School-- both what she's doing now and what I did there 33 years ago.  Little has changed.  She is such a nuke.  There's probably a gene for that.

But later, about an hour into our personal-finance updates, she said "You know, I really enjoy MMM's posts.  It's made a big difference for me to get rid of a lot of my stuff, and my spouse is much better with his finances."  I asked her what she'd do all day if they saved/invested enough to stop working in her 30s, and she said "Duh, I'd live my life like you guys, Dad."  I asked her what her spouse would do and she said "Are you kidding me?!?  He has so many projects he wants to work on now that he'd never be bored.  You and MMM have shown him that!"

More parenting gold.  Thanks, MMM!

The two of them are saving over 50% of their income.  (For the next six months it's closer to 75%.). I've asked her about affluenza, "economic outpatient care", trust-fund babies, stunted personal growth, and smothered initiative.  She's heard of those concepts but she doesn't see how they'd apply to her & spouse.  She'd rather base her choices on their quality of life than on their quantity of finances.

Then we talked about how her 1999 Honda CR-V (that she bought used in 2012) just had another check-engine light at 175,000 miles.  Instead of another $500 repair, she replaced it with a 2011 Toyota RAV4 SUV.  She bicycles to work 6-7 days per week and will mostly use the RAV for errands... and conjugal road trips to Norfolk. 

She also assured us parents that somewhere in the next 5-10 years we'd be grandparents, but that's a whole 'nother thread.  Yikes.
This whole thing gave me the warm fuzzies.

You know, I really wish I'd had MMM around when I was a young fresh O-1 through O-3 in the Navy.  But I'm older than he is.  Luckily my dad was frugal, and I grew up poor.  So while I spent *way* too much money during that time, I never went into debt.

I just celebrated my 20th wedding anniversary.  My husband and I were both nukes, met in the Navy (though spent our time on land at NR...surface or sub nuke was not an option for me way back when).  Our training was a bit different - nuke school at Bettis, some shipyard time, and my prototype time was short (but I should get extra points for it being in Idaho in the winter, right??)

Just good memories all around.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2016, 10:48:15 AM by mm1970 »

Nords

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #30 on: July 19, 2016, 02:10:05 PM »

Now you have to clue us in!  What does this mean????????
http://exnavynuke.blogspot.com.es/2011/01/every-little-person-loves-funny-navy.html
... and check the comments for more creative interpretations.

... (but I should get extra points for it being in Idaho in the winter, right??)
You should get ALL the points for Idaho Falls in winter!

When we were freezing our assets (and our car batteries) during winter mid shifts in Ballston Spa NY, we consoled ourselves with the thought that at least we weren't suffering as badly as those poor suckers in Idaho.

My daughter's hoping that "co-location" with her spouse (who's stationed in Norfolk) means that she'll get to spend the whole year of training in Charleston.  And if she goes to BS this winter, I'm not visiting until at least late April...

esq

• Bristles
« Reply #31 on: July 22, 2016, 06:35:11 PM »
What a wonderful idea to stay in touch with kids in college AND tease them with bits and pieces of MMM mentality and lifestyle.  My kids know frugality because they see it all the time.  But applying it to their own lives is a different animal. 

Thanks to all the service people here for your dedication.

Lski'stash

• Pencil Stache
    • A Teacher's Journey to FI in the Mitten State
« Reply #32 on: July 30, 2016, 08:50:52 AM »
Thanks for posting! Someday, when my hypothetical kids are old, I hope to be following your example.

NewStachian

• Stubble
    • VarsityFinances
« Reply #33 on: July 31, 2016, 05:39:49 PM »
Nords,

Hearing your story made me think about what my dad must have felt when he came to visit me at Power School. Of course, I'm sure he thinks I had it easy - I never had to interview with Rickover, hah.

Please tell your daughter congratulations!

dandypandys

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #34 on: July 31, 2016, 05:46:21 PM »
That is great! :)

aperture

• Bristles
« Reply #35 on: July 31, 2016, 06:54:03 PM »
Congratulations Nords.  I hope my dear girl will grow up with some of your daughter's good sense. I will definitely be stealing the Dad's links email idea.  Thanks, Ap.

Nords

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #36 on: July 31, 2016, 10:41:25 PM »
Thanks again, everyone.  Maybe this is that part where we look back on our parenting and feel rewarded for all those years of effort!

Nords,

Hearing your story made me think about what my dad must have felt when he came to visit me at Power School. Of course, I'm sure he thinks I had it easy - I never had to interview with Rickover, hah.

Please tell your daughter congratulations!
Here's some irony. 

The guy who was running Naval Reactors in 2014 was my USNA classmate, John Richardson '82.  (He and I were part of the last batch whom Rickover interviewed.)  NR is typically an eight-year billet where safety and integrity can be pursued without fear of career politics or turnover.  He apparently was doing it good enough during his first few years in the billet to inspire SECNAV (for the first time ever) to bump him up a notch to CNO.  If he keeps it up then he might get a couple of four-year gigs.

My daughter said that John was a pleasure to interview with, particularly after the written exam and the intense interrogations she experienced at the hands of his staff engineers.  His aide had already collected briefing cards which included her parental bio, so perhaps he was alerted to the aspirations of yet another legacy nuke.  But they bonded over a common love of Arthur Conan Doyle's Sherlock Holmes stories, and she never got yelled at or sent to a thinking closet.

Congratulations Nords.  I hope my dear girl will grow up with some of your daughter's good sense. I will definitely be stealing the Dad's links email idea.  Thanks, Ap.
In retrospect, it took most of the freakin' village...