Author Topic: "Pretty" Mustachians, share your beauty hacks  (Read 92432 times)

Trudie

• Handlebar Stache
Re: "Pretty" Mustachians, share your beauty hacks
« Reply #150 on: September 22, 2015, 08:56:04 AM »
Exercise.  Stay hydrated.  Get sleep.  Go easy on the makeup.  Laugh and smile a lot.

Lizzy B.

• Stubble
« Reply #151 on: September 22, 2015, 09:23:14 AM »

Also, not a beauty tip, but we use coconut butter as lubricant and it works much better of anything else we ever used.

Well, since someone else has already ventured into TMI territory, I'll second this recommendation.

No need to thank us.

JROH

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #152 on: September 22, 2015, 03:59:55 PM »
A few hacks I haven't seen on this thread...

Egg yolk facials.  Separate an egg and beat the yolk with a fork.  Put it on your face for 10-15 minutes and wipe off with warm water.  Helps tighten skin and shrink pores.

Norwex body cloths- I use mine instead of body soap and face wash.

Britan

• Bristles
« Reply #153 on: September 23, 2015, 10:41:24 AM »
Hmm, I don't feel like my routine is "hacking" in any way, but it's very different from the standard I guess.

Showering: I use Pantene and basic bar soap. I tried no-poo for 6 months but never got out of the "adjustment" period. I may try again since my hair is now much drier than it used to be. Bar soap only goes Under arms. Yay dry skin! I don't shower every day, only when I work out or smell. And yes, I know when I smell. :)

Makeup: I have MAC products. More costly but I don't use much so they last for ages. In the morning I put on (1) powder foundation with some aloe vera mixed in and (2) eyebrow pencil. At the end of the day, I run coconut oil all over my face, let it sit for awhile, then rub my face with a hot washcloth.

Things I've tried that haven't worked:
No-poo. I never adjusted
Dr. Bronners as shampoo: left a weird film on my hair

I'm going to try cutting my own hair some time soon. I'm absolutely terrified I'm going to mess it up, but whatever. Hair grows. And if it's truly bad, I'll pay a professional after the fact to fix it.

Kitsunegari

• Bristles
  • Penny wise, pound foolish
« Reply #154 on: September 23, 2015, 10:54:40 AM »

Things I've tried that haven't worked:

Dr. Bronners as shampoo: left a weird film on my hair

My DH uses it as a all-in-one shower product, and works well for him. Then again, he's blessed with the most beautiful full head of hair I've even seen, so he's probably just born with it.

MissStache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #155 on: September 23, 2015, 10:56:33 AM »

I'm going to try cutting my own hair some time soon. I'm absolutely terrified I'm going to mess it up, but whatever. Hair grows. And if it's truly bad, I'll pay a professional after the fact to fix it.

I've been psyching myself up for this and I'm trying it TONIGHT!  So, so nervous about it, but I have long hair that I usually wear up anyway, so I can always hide it if it is really awful :)

Urchina

• Stubble
« Reply #156 on: September 23, 2015, 06:13:34 PM »
  • Posture!  I have been doing physical therapy lately for a back issue, and my PT told me that I stand wrong.  Now that I have learned how to stand right, I look super hot.  It is shocking.

OMG, this! Back straight, shoulders back, head up, eye contact, big smile - you've just made yourself sexier than 90% of the people in the room. Add genuine interest in others and good manners and zam! Straight up the charts!

Also -a bra that fits properly. I lost a lot of weight a few years ago and had to get refitted for a bra. The next day I had friends and coworkers ask if I'd lost even more weight. It turns out that good foundational undergarments last a long time and make everything else look amazing.

My other lessons learned:
1. Sappo hill soap for face and body (I have ultra-sensitive acne prone skin and finally figured out that this is what I need. It's also inexpensive)
2. Enough sleep, water, and daily exercise
3. A good diet with plenty of fruits and vegetables
4. Clothes that suit your body, lifestyle and personality.
5. Clothes that are clean, pressed, and fit properly.
6. Good grooming ( good personal hygiene, clean nails, brushed hair, etc.)
7. Fresh razor blades really do make a difference!
8. Daily sunscreen. I like Mario Badescu SPF 30.  It's expensive but it's the only sunscreen I've ever used on my face that didn't sting like hell and/or give me a nasty rash.

For moisturizers, my husband uses jojoba oil as aftershave ( three drops takes care of his whole face) and I'm currently in love with Trader joe's body balm for dry patches on my feet. It's solid and mostly Shea butter, and comes in a circular tin. Totally awesome stuff.

[/list]

JPinDC

• Stubble
« Reply #157 on: September 24, 2015, 10:39:08 AM »

I've been psyching myself up for this and I'm trying it TONIGHT!  So, so nervous about it, but I have long hair that I usually wear up anyway, so I can always hide it if it is really awful :)

How'd it go MissStache? I've been cutting my own hair for more than a year now (ponytail method) and I like the way it looks and find it to be pretty easy.

DagobertDuck

• Bristles
« Reply #158 on: September 24, 2015, 10:59:35 AM »
Daily consumption of a vegetable (mainly carrots) and fruit smoothie containing beta carotene gives your facial skin an orange/yellowish glow, which is percieved as healthy and attractive.

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
    • Pinhook Development LLC
« Reply #159 on: September 24, 2015, 11:07:26 AM »
Born this way.

Guses

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #160 on: September 24, 2015, 02:03:21 PM »
1.Let your toe nails grow until they start curling.
2.Guide them so they start curling inward.
3.Save on pedicures!

TVRodriguez

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #161 on: September 24, 2015, 02:52:59 PM »
Hair:  Like others here, I do the baking soda-in-water instead of shampoo, with a vinegar rinse.  I follow that with organic conditioner on the ends, or sometimes with almond oil.  I don't dye my hair and have few white hairs.  I'm hoping that it will all turn silver eventually.  For DD6, I use a few drops of almond oil rubbed in my hands and onto her hair about once a week.

The no-poo method took a few tries for me.  I finally got it after going a week or so without washing my hair at all, then used the baking soda/water and then diluted vinegar rinse.  My hair finally felt clean and soft.  It had been getting very very dry, and very tangly, so that my hands would get stuck in it if I tried to run my hand through my hair.  Co-washing alone didn't help.  Neither did fancy expensive products suggested by friends (I'm looking at you, Kerastase bottle).  So now, it's been about a month and a half, and I used a drop of shampoo on the crown of my head one time in that month.  Otherwise, baking soda/water and vinegar, plus maybe conditioner.  I LOVE my hair again. 

DH cuts my hair, and his hair and our kids' hair.  He's good with sharp instruments.  Plus I hate making appointments and my favorite hairdresser is never ready for drop-ins.

Face:
I drink a LOT of water and I smile often.  Also, I use Oil of Olay with sunscreen daily.

Makeup: I use a Revlon BB cream about half the week (workdays), but I use very little and this tube has lasted more than a year and is still going.  I use eyeliner and brow liner, both of which last forever.  Honestly, the brow liner is 11 years old.  I sometimes use shadow--maybelline.  I use an eyelash curler, which does get a new cushion about once a year (or I buy a new one).  And lipliner and/or lipstick, which I replace maybe every 2-3 years.  I like to look professional at work.

Cleanser: At night only on days I wear the BB cream, I use a drop of an Oil of Olay sensitive face wash, and the bottle lasts for a long long long time.  I want to say 3-5 years.  I use a good washcloth in the shower on days I shower to exfoliate.

Body:
No soap except for underarms and pelvic area.  Cheap conditioner as shaving cream.  Used to wax, got tired of making appointments.  Tried laser hair removal, it hurt.  It was free, actually, but I don't like the pain and am bad at making appointments.  I exercise a few times/week.  Not in terrific shape, but it'll do.

Fancy stuff:
I occasionally get Botox.  Was recommended for migraines, and it works for those, but I don't deny that I get more than is necessary for the migraine treatment.  This is free for me and I don't have to make an appointment (I've got a hookup), though, so cost-effective.  Judge away.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2015, 02:55:55 PM by TVRodriguez »

smalllife

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #162 on: September 24, 2015, 07:31:49 PM »
Hair: baking soda and vinegar didn't work for me so I tried water only ( a good scrub with your fingers but no product). Three months and counting with zero cost. 

Face: I found that less was more here too - lots of water and only soap took care of my issues

K-ice

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #163 on: September 24, 2015, 08:07:56 PM »
"Cetaphil for daily face wash"

I can't believe it took 44 posts before this was mentioned.

I have sensitive skin & have used this for 20years.
Over the years I have seen it recommended in magazines as a good budget wash.

Gentil enough for kids too.

It is also great for men's shaving. Wonderful to travel with as it does double duty & can be whiped off dry.

It can also be used to treat Lice. Yes Gross! Coat the hair and leave 24h. Repeat next week. There is actually a peer reviewed publication discussing its effectiveness. It suffocates the little buggars.

Also...

I just use a daily moisturizer w SPF.
For waxing I use the pre-waxed strips. For 1/2 the price of one salon visit I can do about 5 times with one box.

Kitsunegari

• Bristles
« Reply #164 on: September 25, 2015, 09:42:17 AM »

Also, not a beauty tip, but we use coconut butter as lubricant and it works much better of anything else we ever used.

Well, since someone else has already ventured into TMI territory, I'll second this recommendation.

No need to thank us.

Hey since we're at it: do you find that it stains the sheets?
I received nice linen sheets as a gift, but I'm afraid of ruining them...
Our regular sheets are so ugly I never cared where the coconut butter went, but I didn't find stains yet.

Lizzy B.

• Stubble
« Reply #165 on: September 26, 2015, 01:03:19 PM »

No need to thank us.

Hey since we're at it: do you find that it stains the sheets?
I received nice linen sheets as a gift, but I'm afraid of ruining them...
Our regular sheets are so ugly I never cared where the coconut butter went, but I didn't find stains yet.

Hmm, I should have read your post more closely; we use coconut oil, not coconut butter. Not sure if there's a difference. I haven't noticed any staining, but maybe you could smear some on your old sheets or an inconspicuous part of your new ones? 

Verdandi

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #166 on: September 26, 2015, 01:57:48 PM »
I tried the no poo method, but it didn't work for me.
However, here is what I do:

1. Color and cut my own hair.
2. Skin: once a week, exfoliate with a cheap sea sand peeling, then a healing earth mask (costs 5€ at the drugstore and lasts about 6 months), then coconut oil. Cream with sun protection every day. Clean every evening with water and a washcloth. My skin has never been better.
3. Nails: once a week, DIY.
4. Exercise: running, yoga with dvds at home, bike riding, sometimes tough workouts with dvds at home.
5. Food: drink a lot of water and green tea, eat lots of fruits and vegetables and good fats (nuts, avocados, salmon...). This enhances complexion a lot more than any makeup could.
6. Whenever possible: relax, meditate, sleep, walk slowly... really trying to get better at that one.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #167 on: September 26, 2015, 11:52:20 PM »
Well, since someone else has already ventured into TMI territory, I'll second this recommendation. No need to thank us.
Hey since we're at it: do you find that it stains the sheets? I received nice linen sheets as a gift, but I'm afraid of ruining them...Our regular sheets are so ugly I never cared where the coconut butter went, but I didn't find stains yet.
Hmm, I should have read your post more closely; we use coconut oil, not coconut butter. Not sure if there's a difference. I haven't noticed any staining, but maybe you could smear some on your old sheets or an inconspicuous part of your new ones?

I was so sure I had posted about this that I just combed through the whole thread. Then I remembered that it was over at the Non-Consumer Advocate, sigh.
Tangent Alert: Cetaphil has been mentioned no less than three times, proving that great minds think alike. Totally irrelevant to what I have to say next, though.

To begin with, the relevant product is Coconut "Oil", not "Butter" (big difference), and preference is for organic. Costco sells big tubs of it. Buy it there.

I'm posting to second the recommendation of it as a lubricant. Works great, but there's more. **TMI Alert** Specifically, I have had terrible problems with UTI's for years. As in standing lab orders and prescriptions. Yes, I do all the things one is supposed to do, generally to no avail. We tried coconut oil just to get away from synthetic lubes and were surprised to notice a sharp drop in UTI's. Not doing anything else different, but far fewer UTI's = happy wife and  well, you know the rest. I've since read that CO has some slight anti-bacterial properties, so maybe that's it, but it works, so who cares why?

So, um, we get it on the sheets all the time. It does leave a slight mark after a regular cold water wash. I'm not terribly picky, so every fourth wash or so. I'll add oxy-something and wash in warm water, which removes all traces and makes the sheets look brand-new. My sheets are high quality cotton though, not linen. Bonus tip: Transfer CO to a small glass jar. If it melts, just pop it in the fridge and it re-solidifies quickly. Use the liquified form at your own risk, as it spreads quickly if spilled. Voice of experience here.

fallstoclimb

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #168 on: September 29, 2015, 02:13:21 PM »
I love this thread, glad to see it back up top.  I've experimented a ton with this stuff over the past year:

- Hair:  Haven't used shampoo in almost 2 years now, except for Dr Bronners while traveling or feeling super lazy (I consider this "low poo"). Right now I'm alternating egg yolk washes (always seem to get cooked egg in my hair though), lemon juice rinses w/ honey conditioner, good old baking soda w/ acv rinse, and (my favorite) a combo of volcanic ash (!!), honey, acv & water with just a tiny tiny tiny bit of coconut oil run through my hair after as conditioner.  This probably sounds like a lot of work but overall my hair feels healthier and looks better and I love that I can always wash my hair with SOMETHING in the kitchen (or just do water only, of course, or homemade dry shampoo).

- Makeup:  Slowly stopped wearing most of it.  Honestly don't notice much of a difference. Right now my day to day routine is just a tiny bit of caster oil as mascara & brow gel, followed up by some eyeliner.  If I want to get fancy I use a little brow powder and lip crayon. I spent years putting on face powder that (I think) just made my skin worse and lipstick that I immediately rubbed off/ate, I'm much happier with this simplified routine.

- Nails:  Cut and file only.  Nail polish is ridiculous expectation that I refuse to participate in.

- Shaving:  Still looking for a good solution here.  I'm currently just not shaving my bikini line at all because of saddle sores from biking, which means I'm just not swimming. Not an issue this time of year but not really a great long term plan. I don't really mind shaving my legs & pits (and am also pretty haphazard about this). I wish I were badass enough to just wear a bathing suit with an untrimmed bikini line but that is a line (....ha) I'm not willing to cross.

Lastly, re: Dr Bronners:  I've heard if it leaves a film on your hair thats because it is reacting to hard water.  I use it sometimes anyway, I wash at night and by the time I wake up and brush out my hair it doesn't seem filmy anymore. I love how simple this makes packing cosmetics when I travel, I basically just need Dr Bronners and toothpaste.

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #169 on: September 29, 2015, 02:21:26 PM »
Well, since someone else has already ventured into TMI territory, I'll second this recommendation. No need to thank us.

Huh. Thanks for that rec - our usual lube has started giving me a rash, which is Extremely Annoying. I'll give the coconut oil a shot.

While we're on the coconut oil theme: it is the best make-up remover I've ever tried.
Hey since we're at it: do you find that it stains the sheets? I received nice linen sheets as a gift, but I'm afraid of ruining them...Our regular sheets are so ugly I never cared where the coconut butter went, but I didn't find stains yet.

I was so sure I had posted about this that I just combed through the whole thread. Then I remembered that it was over at the Non-Consumer Advocate, sigh.
Tangent Alert: Cetaphil has been mentioned no less than three times, proving that great minds think alike. Totally irrelevant to what I have to say next, though.

To begin with, the relevant product is Coconut "Oil", not "Butter" (big difference), and preference is for organic. Costco sells big tubs of it. Buy it there.

I'm posting to second the recommendation of it as a lubricant. Works great, but there's more. **TMI Alert** Specifically, I have had terrible problems with UTI's for years. As in standing lab orders and prescriptions. Yes, I do all the things one is supposed to do, generally to no avail. We tried coconut oil just to get away from synthetic lubes and were surprised to notice a sharp drop in UTI's. Not doing anything else different, but far fewer UTI's = happy wife and  well, you know the rest. I've since read that CO has some slight anti-bacterial properties, so maybe that's it, but it works, so who cares why?

So, um, we get it on the sheets all the time. It does leave a slight mark after a regular cold water wash. I'm not terribly picky, so every fourth wash or so. I'll add oxy-something and wash in warm water, which removes all traces and makes the sheets look brand-new. My sheets are high quality cotton though, not linen. Bonus tip: Transfer CO to a small glass jar. If it melts, just pop it in the fridge and it re-solidifies quickly. Use the liquified form at your own risk, as it spreads quickly if spilled. Voice of experience here.

Emilyngh

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #170 on: September 29, 2015, 07:55:20 PM »

- Shaving:  Still looking for a good solution here.  I'm currently just not shaving my bikini line at all because of saddle sores from biking, which means I'm just not swimming. Not an issue this time of year but not really a great long term plan. I don't really mind shaving my legs & pits (and am also pretty haphazard about this). I wish I were badass enough to just wear a bathing suit with an untrimmed bikini line but that is a line (....ha) I'm not willing to cross.

Have you considered wearing black biking short-style bottoms or a black athletic skort?   I decided this summer that I have *had it* with shaving the bikini area after having 5 ingrown hairs at once.   Fuck that.   So I went to Target and tried on a variety of skirt and short bottoms.   The bathing suit ones were actually really odd (super super low rise and short, no matter how large a size) and did not look good.   But, then I got the brilliant idea of checking in the athletic section, and wound up getting two skorts-one black to match a black top I already have and one grey/blue that actually perfectly matches a blue bikini top I have.   This one exactly, actually: http://www.target.com/p/c9-champion-women-s-run-skort/-/A-16847456?ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=16847456&ref=tgt_adv_XSG10001&AFID=google_pla_df&CPNG=pla_women+c9+shopping&adgroup=c9+champion&LID=22pgs&KID=0b1b689f-7759-4593-8db1-039cda47ab4a&kpid=16847456&gclid=CMOazefSncgCFcIXHwodvUUBAQ

The built in shorts are like bicycle shorts, so they don't float open or anything in the water.   I wore them all summer and I love them.  I actually think they are more flattering than a traditional bottom on me *and* I can walk around the beach etc without the awkward thigh rub.    I don't know why I didn't think if it earlier.   And for the TMI record, I do keep the area trimmed very short, I just no longer shave.   Wish I made the switch sooner.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2015, 07:58:13 PM by Emilyngh »

TVRodriguez

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #171 on: September 29, 2015, 09:58:51 PM »

Have you considered wearing black biking short-style bottoms or a black athletic skort?   I decided this summer that I have *had it* with shaving the bikini area after having 5 ingrown hairs at once.   Fuck that.   So I went to Target and tried on a variety of skirt and short bottoms.   The bathing suit ones were actually really odd (super super low rise and short, no matter how large a size) and did not look good.   But, then I got the brilliant idea of checking in the athletic section, and wound up getting two skorts-one black to match a black top I already have and one grey/blue that actually perfectly matches a blue bikini top I have.   This one exactly, actually: http://www.target.com/p/c9-champion-women-s-run-skort/-/A-16847456?ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=16847456&ref=tgt_adv_XSG10001&AFID=google_pla_df&CPNG=pla_women+c9+shopping&adgroup=c9+champion&LID=22pgs&KID=0b1b689f-7759-4593-8db1-039cda47ab4a&kpid=16847456&gclid=CMOazefSncgCFcIXHwodvUUBAQ

The built in shorts are like bicycle shorts, so they don't float open or anything in the water.   I wore them all summer and I love them.  I actually think they are more flattering than a traditional bottom on me *and* I can walk around the beach etc without the awkward thigh rub.    I don't know why I didn't think if it earlier.   And for the TMI record, I do keep the area trimmed very short, I just no longer shave.   Wish I made the switch sooner.

Thank you for this suggestion! How did the skort hold up to the chlorine? I might try this out.

Emilyngh

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #172 on: September 30, 2015, 05:45:03 AM »

Thank you for this suggestion! How did the skort hold up to the chlorine? I might try this out.

Fine so far, although it was only one summer.  You can also check out the actual swim shorts/skirts/skorts if you are concerned with this, I just was not a fan of those that I tried on at Target.

fallstoclimb

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #173 on: September 30, 2015, 06:55:35 AM »
I'm sort of hesitant to go the skort route, probably because I've secretly wanted to my ENTIRE life to hide my not-small thighs, and I just feel like it would look matronly on me.  This is a good suggestion though, so I'll start keeping an eye out for something that might work.

I actually just checked, and Athleta has swim shorts that look more sporty than matronly.   Don't REALLY want to give money to them, but I am tempted....

merula

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #174 on: September 30, 2015, 07:59:42 AM »
I actually just checked, and Athleta has swim shorts that look more sporty than matronly.   Don't REALLY want to give money to them, but I am tempted....

If it helps, Gap brand family gift cards are always on those giftcard-resale sites for like 20% off. It's giving them less money...

Emilyngh

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #175 on: September 30, 2015, 05:23:07 PM »
I'm sort of hesitant to go the skort route, probably because I've secretly wanted to my ENTIRE life to hide my not-small thighs, and I just feel like it would look matronly on me.  This is a good suggestion though, so I'll start keeping an eye out for something that might work.

I was concerned about looking matronly too, but I really don't think I do.  The two keys to me seem to be (1) wearing a skirt with no gather or much flair.   Pretty straight, short skirts look more athletic, IMO and  (2) wearing a youthful top with it.

ETA: so this is obviously not me, and not really how I look, but more along these lines of vibe: http://www.venus.com/viewproduct.aspx?BRANCH=24~350~&ProductDisplayID=18315
« Last Edit: September 30, 2015, 05:25:35 PM by Emilyngh »

Lski'stash

• Pencil Stache
    • A Teacher's Journey to FI in the Mitten State
« Reply #176 on: September 30, 2015, 06:58:35 PM »
Just signed up! I wonder what they'll think when they see 'MMM' in the referral section? 😀
I don't use moisturizers but I tend to do 4-6 week long cosmetic studies where I get free face moisturizers/gel/oil and then get paid $40 for using them for the month.  Good deal there.

Tell us more about this!

It's with Biometrix.  Here is their website:  http://biometrixinc.com/

I don't remember how or when I signed up, but sign up I did.  Seems I received an email out of the blue from them asking if I wanted to do a face study for an oil moisturizer from out of their SF office.  So I started doing studies with them.  I've done 3 studies total and might be on my 4th tonight, I'll have to call about it.  It's another moisturizer one.  Typically they want women for the studies.  I ride my bike after work to their office, pick up the product and the instructions, use it everyday and keep a journal, and a month later ride back with the used product and my journal and receive a $40 check.  Pretty easy money and kinda fun too.  One of the studies I did was for glittery eyeshadow.  But I prefer the moisturizer ones.  Because I'm a tomboy at heart.

fallstoclimb

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #177 on: October 02, 2015, 09:43:48 AM »

I was concerned about looking matronly too, but I really don't think I do.  The two keys to me seem to be (1) wearing a skirt with no gather or much flair.   Pretty straight, short skirts look more athletic, IMO and  (2) wearing a youthful top with it.

ETA: so this is obviously not me, and not really how I look, but more along these lines of vibe: http://www.venus.com/viewproduct.aspx?BRANCH=24~350~&ProductDisplayID=18315

You are right - that is not matronly at ALL!  You've sold me on this.  Cycling and shaving just don't mix and f the patriarchy, anyway ;-)

Allie

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #178 on: October 02, 2015, 09:55:43 AM »
Just signed up! I wonder what they'll think when they see 'MMM' in the referral section? 😀
I don't use moisturizers but I tend to do 4-6 week long cosmetic studies where I get free face moisturizers/gel/oil and then get paid $40 for using them for the month.  Good deal there.

Tell us more about this!

This sounds like so much fun...do you know if you have to be in the area/continental US?

It's with Biometrix.  Here is their website:  http://biometrixinc.com/

I don't remember how or when I signed up, but sign up I did.  Seems I received an email out of the blue from them asking if I wanted to do a face study for an oil moisturizer from out of their SF office.  So I started doing studies with them.  I've done 3 studies total and might be on my 4th tonight, I'll have to call about it.  It's another moisturizer one.  Typically they want women for the studies.  I ride my bike after work to their office, pick up the product and the instructions, use it everyday and keep a journal, and a month later ride back with the used product and my journal and receive a $40 check.  Pretty easy money and kinda fun too.  One of the studies I did was for glittery eyeshadow.  But I prefer the moisturizer ones.  Because I'm a tomboy at heart.

cheddarpie

• Stubble
« Reply #179 on: October 02, 2015, 10:34:57 AM »
1. Coconut oil is the only thing I put on my face. Wash with water, moisturize with a tiny tab in the morning after my shower. 1 jar lasts two years.
2. Drink a pint glass of water every morning first thing when I wake up. I started this habit two years ago and it has 100% negated my need for any sort of moisturizer (other than the coconut oil on my face). I don't use lotion or shaving cream or anything else of the sort. Only sunscreen when needed in the summer.
3. Exercise 2-3 times a week.
4. Self pedicures.
5. Get expensive haircuts every 6 months. Not super mustachian, but I have long hair and have found that paying more for a good cut, color, and style that grows out well is worth it for me. I spend less than $500/year on my beauty routine but get the luxury of enjoying this very big splurge within that budget.
6. I have long, thick hair and about a year ago but an expensive ($50 with a groupon) hairdryer when my old one blew out. It's been worth it -- my hair dries much faster and it's the "ionizing" kind (wtf that means) that does seem to help with frizziness. I also use an anti-frizz creme that is $10/bottle but the bottle lasts me two years.

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #180 on: October 03, 2015, 01:48:24 AM »

The other option (and one which I intend to go for if I ever need a swimming costume again, as someone who has not shaved anything for four years or so and never intends to again!) is a vintage-style costume with low-cut legs. Almost everything on this page would be suitable: http://www.forluna.co.uk

Emilyngh

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #181 on: October 03, 2015, 05:19:46 AM »

The other option (and one which I intend to go for if I ever need a swimming costume again, as someone who has not shaved anything for four years or so and never intends to again!) is a vintage-style costume with low-cut legs. Almost everything on this page would be suitable: http://www.forluna.co.uk

I think that those are super cute, but just as a word of warning for others to consider: I actually had a suit like that.  In no way did it cover the bikini line in a way that I could not shave and be comfortable; I really need a short bicycle-type short under the skirt (like built in to the skort) ....but YMMV.

fallstoclimb

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #182 on: October 03, 2015, 10:32:54 AM »
Yeah I agree on the vintagey ones -- super cute but they don't really give you the extra coverage where you'd need it to not shave.

What about these?  They are SUPER short but I think they would probably work, or at least well enough?  http://www.patagonia.com/us/product/womens-light-variable-board-shorts-2-half-inch?p=76600-0

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #183 on: October 03, 2015, 01:05:26 PM »
Just cut my own hair today for the first time.  It looks okay.  I used the ponytail method for layers.

Now, some of my layers were too short already, because of the style, so they didn't get trimmed. Maybe I'll trim a little more next week.

Emilyngh

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #184 on: October 03, 2015, 03:29:13 PM »
Yeah I agree on the vintagey ones -- super cute but they don't really give you the extra coverage where you'd need it to not shave.

What about these?  They are SUPER short but I think they would probably work, or at least well enough?  http://www.patagonia.com/us/product/womens-light-variable-board-shorts-2-half-inch?p=76600-0

Those look like they'd be worth trying to me!

Lski'stash

• Pencil Stache
    • A Teacher's Journey to FI in the Mitten State
« Reply #185 on: October 03, 2015, 03:45:22 PM »
For anyone looking for cheaper makeup- I did an ipsy subscription for a few months and got all of the makup I wanted for the year.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #186 on: October 03, 2015, 04:31:17 PM »
My skin reacted quite poorly to both olive oil and coconut oil for moisturizer/cleaner. I break out very badly with these. HOWEVER. I did find that my skin LOVES apricot kernel oil. I buy it through subscribe and save cheap. I use it as moisutizer, cleanser, shaving 'gel', make up remover, etc etc.

I only use soap (dr bronners) on the 'dirty bits': feet, groin, pits. Keeps skin happy.

I 'co-wash', which people have talked about on here before. Only wash every 3rd or 4th day.

Make my own deodorant. My one batch has lasted me over a year, so I don't remember the exact recipe, but it was coconut oil, corn starch, and (?) baking soda. I think. I also have a sea salt roll-on I use right after showers, but it doesn't have much staying power. DH loves the smell though- chamomile and lavender.

Yogurt face masks! Basically, Crunchy Betty is the best. Cleared up my skin like magic before my wedding.

Hair lightening: lemon and yogurt hair masks. Also, oil masks and egg masks were great to remove henna from my hair before the wedding.

A big one for my skin staying soft ended up being my laundry soap. I switched to hippy stuff (ecos? I think it's called?) and my elbows/knees have been way less dry. So I was probably reacting somehow. Same with sink soap: the dawn was starting to chafe my wrists and split my cuticles. We do Seventh Generation now, and it's much better.

And of course your classics: put lotion on your feet then wear socks to bed. Put a thick lotion on your lips before sleeping if you have a split. Lots of water. And I'm another "lots of fats, particularly animal fats, keeps my face happy". Unfortunately, I also found alcohol tends to #(*$&#@&$^#@ my skin. I'm better at the fats (yay butter!) than the alcohol =\ work in progress!

FLA

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #187 on: October 04, 2015, 03:09:56 PM »
. Your personality and physique can make up for less than perfectly symmetrical features.
5. If you're a lady, sorry we are so shallow.

While Guitarstv has a point, in real life attractiveness can matter. Up to a point.

I have never heard a man say they care or notice symmetrical features so heinous, the chick had better be ripped and have a sparkling personality to make up for it.  Maybe a complaint about a large nose, but they do not expect her to be compensating for it.  Most women do not look like Picasso paintings. The vast majority of humans do not have perfect symmetry and are still beautiful anyways. That's about as shallow as I have heard. 

FLA

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #188 on: October 04, 2015, 03:18:11 PM »

I wish I could feel the same about the grey hairs :(

I don't know if this is up your alley: I use Garner Nutrisse hair color, with a sale and coupons, it usually costs 3 bucks.  It's easy.  I only went once to my stylist recently because it was starting to pull too red, $30 but included cut. He is willing to give me the ingredients of my formula, buy it at where he gets his stuff, gives me exact instructions and it's $10 but lasts for 2 applications

FLA

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #189 on: October 04, 2015, 03:29:58 PM »
What do you guys use to wash your face on a daily basis?  (Not a once weekly scrub).  It literally just occurred to me right this minute that I can probably stop buying special 'fash wash' (marketing) and just use, like, normal body wash or other soap?  Am I incorrect?  I guess if you need the sacilyc acid to prevent breakouts that would be a reason to use dedicated face wash, but thanks to birth control I don't have an issue with that really.

I had adult acne that got bad after menopause, my faithful oil free/acne Neutrogena products no longer worked. Saw derm, cleared up with a low dose anti-biotic and a gel and he said any gentle soap to maintain, no need for acne-specific products, suggested Dove, has worked fine.  Even CVS generic version.  They give you 3 giant tubes of the gel for $10 with my drug plan, I will die before it runs out.  Saving it in case DD gets acne and the ped says the gel is good. I get 90 days of the antibiotic for $5.  Have tried stopping this and it all came rip roaring back.  I'm very happy with the dove, just one product

FLA

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #190 on: October 04, 2015, 04:11:22 PM »
Confession- I used to be addicted to Sephora.   
For the record, my addiction has now shifted to lip balm. Any easy homemade recipes out there? Preferably ones where I don't have to break out the candy thermometer? Not interested in going all "breaking bad" for lip balm.

I wasn't addicted to Sephora but it's fun to go with DD. And I do have oily skin so Bare Minerals makes me look better, I use the compact. The thing I was addicted to was the Christmas perfume trial gift set, you get samples to see what you like and then a certificate for a full sized bottle and a purse atomizer.  Did this three years and realized I go so slowly through perfume, I had to stop.  I have to go through my make up and give   it to DD, we have the same coloring. I'm not really wearing since not working

I also had a lipstick addiction that I got mostly at CVS for a couple of dollars. I did use them, but when it was $2 again, I'd get more and never threw out the old ones. Last year, DD was going through them and found the one I wore at my wedding.  In 1994.  I'm divorced so I asked DD if she wanted it for sentimental reasons.  She looked at me like I had 3 heads and decided I was a lipstick hoarder. 

Try Bulk Apothecary for cases if you make your own lip balm or just buy theirs.  I used Avon lip balm when it was 99c.  Accidentally, I received some with no labels, so I could see how full they were, way less than half. I liked Bulk Apothecary's- 50 for 11c each plus free ship and a 20% off coupon. I hand it out left and right and lip balm stockpiles well.  Can't beat 9c lip balm that you like!

DD found websites that compare drugstore brands to Sephora brands.  So you can find something pretty close to that $68 Naked palette. She saved and saved for that and even she admitted that was a mistake.

FLA

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #191 on: October 04, 2015, 04:40:33 PM »

When your guy doesn't notice your fake eyelashes, he's not gonna notice anything.

3 days before my wedding day, my hair came out blue green enough that I, a calm person, just started bawling.  Because my hairdresser decided two months prior that she was going to get married the same day as me, she had no time to fix it. She sent me the next day to her friend and he was like "whoa, that's blue!" SIX hours later, he fixed it, yay.  So I totally went home with extremely obvious blue hair just before my wedding and my ex-husband did not notice. We had dinner, chatted, no mention of the blue hair.  Finally I said, "notice anything different?" He looked and said, "Am I supposed to?"  That should've been my first clue. 

FLA

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #192 on: October 04, 2015, 05:44:06 PM »
How do people go 3-4 days without washing their hair? If I don't wash my hair daily, it gets uber oily and stringy. I've tried just rinsing it, but it gets so tangled if I don't use conditioner that I can't get a comb through it. And, if I only rinse it and add conditioner, it just gets even more oily. My hair is really healthy despite daily washing; however, I'd love to find a way to cut back, even if it's just to every other day. Suggestions?

CVS brand dry shampoo that is stocked next to the Tresemme one, black with neon green top, if I remember right.  I cannot go two days without washing without it being visibly oily, the dry shampoo really works. Get it when CVS has 30% off their brand 

FLA

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #193 on: October 04, 2015, 06:42:40 PM »

[/quote]

Also -a bra that fits properly. I lost a lot of weight a few years ago and had to get refitted for a bra. The next day I had friends and coworkers ask if I'd lost even more weight. It turns out that good foundational undergarments last a long time and make everything else look amazing.

[/quote]

when the girls were still drooping years after BF-ing and it seemed like they would never be like before, I went to a woman's bra shop, behind her back, she is known as the Bra Nazi.  Little old women who had definite beliefs about how a bra should fit and which brand would be best, she does not speak, she yells. You have zero privacy, she touches your breasts to get them just right in the cup.  She put me in a Le Mystere bra and then had me put my shirt back on, OMG! Who knew? From then on, I always bought one full price from her and got the discounted ones online. She died, that woman worked hard!

A friend at work told me there were rumors going around that I had gotten a boob job. Oh, FFS, had I supposedly done that over a weekend? At the time, we only had one male employee so when he wasn't around, I said, "no boob job, you idiots!  Go to the Bra Nazi yourselves!"  and they did

FLA

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #194 on: October 04, 2015, 07:01:12 PM »
this was a good read, I can't believe how much DIY stuff is out there.  Do you find it much cheaper than even CVS on sale with stacked coupons? I wouldn't want to spend more to DIY.  Or is it more the thought of being more natural? 

I have one weird tip that works so well for women with oily skin.  Wash face, pat dry, use a moisturizer with sunscreen, wait 10 mins, apply the thinnest layer possible of generic Milk of Magnesia, let that soak in before doing make-up. Best primer ever for pennies. Just check that you haven't put too much in one spot, it would be white if you did, rub excess off. I stopped having such oily skin by midday doing this, my foundation did not slide off. I read this in a magazine and I did wonder who would put MOM on their face? Asked a pharmacist friend if she had ever heard this and she said yes, she does it as well.

PFHC

• Pencil Stache
  • Busy doing.
« Reply #195 on: October 04, 2015, 08:17:31 PM »
Here's some tips for a man:
  • Use four toiletries: coconut oil, Bronner's tea tree bar soap, hydrogen peroxide, and a Thai deodorant stone.
  • Use coconut oil for everything. Face wash, under arms, moisturizer, oral health, hair, shaving, massage, sex, and on and on. Great for cooking and baking, too.
  • Done.

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #196 on: October 05, 2015, 02:41:50 AM »
I had a jar of coconut oil that I bought and never used as I didn't know what to do with it so this has given me some ideas.

I have one weird tip that works so well for women with oily skin.  Wash face, pat dry, use a moisturizer with sunscreen, wait 10 mins, apply the thinnest layer possible of generic Milk of Magnesia, let that soak in before doing make-up. Best primer ever for pennies. Just check that you haven't put too much in one spot, it would be white if you did, rub excess off. I stopped having such oily skin by midday doing this, my foundation did not slide off. I read this in a magazine and I did wonder who would put MOM on their face? Asked a pharmacist friend if she had ever heard this and she said yes, she does it as well.

Interesting. I've read that aspirin crushed up makes a good face mask. I keep forgetting to try it out.

MissStache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #197 on: October 06, 2015, 08:54:11 AM »

How'd it go MissStache? I've been cutting my own hair for more than a year now (ponytail method) and I like the way it looks and find it to be pretty easy.

I totally chickened out, I think spurred on by the look of abject horror on my boyfriend's face when I said I was going to do it.  But, I happened to visit my sister that weekend and she, who has cut her own hair for years, did it for me!  So I still got a free haircut!

EDIT for bad formatting
« Last Edit: October 06, 2015, 09:03:14 AM by MissStache »

Kitsunegari

• Bristles
« Reply #198 on: October 06, 2015, 09:19:45 AM »
Not my own trick, but I had a roommate with oily skin who made regular face masks with... cat litter. Not any brand, a specific brand which was advertised as 100% clay, which is indeed a common ingredient for treatment of oily skin. Never tried myself tho.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #199 on: October 06, 2015, 11:29:33 PM »
when the girls were still drooping years after BF-ing and it seemed like they would never be like before, I went to a woman's bra shop, behind her back, she is known as the Bra Nazi.  Little old women who had definite beliefs about how a bra should fit and which brand would be best, she does not speak, she yells. You have zero privacy, she touches your breasts to get them just right in the cup.  She put me in a Le Mystere bra and then had me put my shirt back on, OMG! Who knew? From then on, I always bought one full price from her and got the discounted ones online. She died, that woman worked hard!

A friend at work told me there were rumors going around that I had gotten a boob job. Oh, FFS, had I supposedly done that over a weekend? At the time, we only had one male employee so when he wasn't around, I said, "no boob job, you idiots!  Go to the Bra Nazi yourselves!"  and they did
OMG, FLA, what a picture you've painted! This is hilarious! The Bra Nazi, may she rest in peace.