Author Topic: "Pretty" Mustachians, share your beauty hacks  (Read 92433 times)

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
Re: "Pretty" Mustachians, share your beauty hacks
« Reply #100 on: September 30, 2014, 03:54:36 PM »
I find my skin is a lot better with a good diet (lots of fats, especially saturated animal fats) but I still need moisturizer, just not as much.  How much is diet and how much is age?  Don't know.  What I do know is that I now tan, instead of burning.I hardly use sun block at all now, and since there is no sunblock on my skin I know I am making lots of vitamin D for our long cold winters, when the sun is not strong enough for my skin to make any.

In my experience, moisturizer just helps make your skin feel better when it is dry, but it does not solve the dry problem. I spent most of my life with dry skin and really bad body-wide eczema, but it wasn't until I conquered that with diet and holistic medicine that the dryness went away. My skin is so much better now at 45 than when I was young. I looked older in my early 30s than I do now because I no longer have dry skin.

Whenever I slip up on my diet or something and get some dry patches on my face, my mom nags me to put cream on. But I know the only way to really solve it is through my other methods.

Trust me, I used to have to moisturize several times during the night because my skin was so itchy and dry, and these days I don't use moisturizer at all. I wouldn't have believed it years ago. I suffered over 30 years with very dry skin.

Your skin is a reflection of your interior health. Once dryness or rashes appear on your skin it's because it's your body's attempt to warn you that there is something wrong.

starburst

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #101 on: September 30, 2014, 04:35:17 PM »
Wow!  Didn't think I'd generate so much interest on this!

This sounds super time consuming.  Do you do it in the shower?  What about your legs?  Are you less prone to ingrown hairs with it?

I use it after I shower and towel-dry - can't use it in the shower since electronics and water don't mix.  I feel it takes the same time as shaving.  I save time at the front end because I don't have to apply anything on my legs/armpits beforehand.  However, I do find I need to go over some areas more than once while using it because the hairs don't always catch onto it the first time.   I think the trick to getting less ingrown hairs is to exfoliate the skin well the day before, physically or chemically.  I say the day before because you need to give your skin time to soften up and let any irritations from exfoliation subside.  That works for me.

I think I tried an epilator once and found it way too painful. You much have a high pain threshold!

I actually don't have a high pain threshold.  The first time was very painful, but I stuck to it and the pain gradually went away.
I don't even think that it's a pain tolerance that I've built up because there is actually no pain now.  I'm not exactly sure how this can be explained, except that the hairs do come out easier with less pulling and I have less hair growing in permanently than I did decades ago.  (I think a good amount of hair follicles gave up in disgust at this constant weekly assault!)  Actually, I should also note that I have fine to medium-textured body hair.  Folks with thicker follicles may have a different experience.

Could a guy use an epilator for his facial hair?

I know there's an epilator designed for the face, but it's made for women's facial hair, which is obviously different than men's.
You will probably need to research whether the pulling action on those will be strong enough for whiskers, etc.  My epilator, although a mini, can't be used on the face - it's still too large to get at all the places around the mouth.

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #102 on: September 30, 2014, 06:27:13 PM »
I've used an epilator in the past but didn't like it. It took longer than shaving and wasn't as effective as a razor in getting to hard to reach places. I tried it once on the underarm and - OMG - that was painful.

I've resorted to just using a razor and using soap to lather up before. No need for special products for lather. Also, I reuse the razor maybe for about 6 months. After every use, I blow on it to get all of the water off and let it dry. It hasn't rusted or anything. In actuality, it probably lasts more than 6 months.

It does help that I have thin hair and it's very light, so I can get by with fewer shavings. ;-)

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #103 on: September 30, 2014, 06:32:58 PM »
I find my skin is a lot better with a good diet (lots of fats, especially saturated animal fats) but I still need moisturizer, just not as much.  How much is diet and how much is age?  Don't know.  What I do know is that I now tan, instead of burning.I hardly use sun block at all now, and since there is no sunblock on my skin I know I am making lots of vitamin D for our long cold winters, when the sun is not strong enough for my skin to make any.

In my experience, moisturizer just helps make your skin feel better when it is dry, but it does not solve the dry problem. I spent most of my life with dry skin and really bad body-wide eczema, but it wasn't until I conquered that with diet and holistic medicine that the dryness went away. My skin is so much better now at 45 than when I was young. I looked older in my early 30s than I do now because I no longer have dry skin.

Whenever I slip up on my diet or something and get some dry patches on my face, my mom nags me to put cream on. But I know the only way to really solve it is through my other methods.

Trust me, I used to have to moisturize several times during the night because my skin was so itchy and dry, and these days I don't use moisturizer at all. I wouldn't have believed it years ago. I suffered over 30 years with very dry skin.

Your skin is a reflection of your interior health. Once dryness or rashes appear on your skin it's because it's your body's attempt to warn you that there is something wrong.

Ha! Well I hope I can continue moisturizer-free until 63. (actually sounds like a good chant "moisterizer free at 63!")

It wasn't just my diet that helped me. At this point, my condition is mostly under control due to diet, but I had to go through the holistic routine about 10 years ago to get rid of the horrible eczema and dryness I had. It was so painful and hard to deal with, that's why I can gush about my skin now as I thought I'd have that for the rest of my life. I mention this to some people I see who have skin conditions and tell them what I did to get rid of it so I can help them, but they just look at me and say that I don't have skin issues so they end up ignoring me. I try to explain it, but it doesn't always work.

I also avoid sunscreen most of the time. I only use it if I will be outdoors all day and at the worst times of the day. Bike ride at 7am - in my mind there's no need to lather up with sunscreen because the sun is not that strong at that time and the Vitamin D absorption is great. And I prefer to use hats or long sleeves over using sunscreen. I just really tried to avoid anything with chemicals if I can avoid it. After my skin issues cleared up, I also mostly tan and don't burn. But I am very careful to not be out in the sun unprotected right smack in the middle of the day.

RunHappy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #104 on: October 01, 2014, 05:55:40 PM »
I use Cetaphil face wash - It is not as expensive as the others, I can get a huge bottle that lasts me several months for $7

Coconut oil for everything!  Moisturizer, deep conditioning treatment for my hair, lips, hands, feet

I make my own scrubs with coffee grounds (after my I brew a cup for myself), mix sugar, olive oil and scrub away.

Back when I was a spender I spent a lot of money on shoes and clothes, so I haven't had to buy anything new for a long time.  However I've been eating cleaner and steadily losing weight which mean I'm going to have to buy some replacement work clothes (we are a business dress only firm).  I'm going to try to sell my stuff on Ebay and use that money to replace my wardrobe.

My high heels I've had for years and will take them to the cobbler and have the heel bit replaced.  I've even taken shoes there to have a platform and heel lowered.   Since I've been going for so long, he doesn't charge me the normal price anymore.

I use cheap hair conditioner instead of shaving cream.  A 99 cent bottle of Sauve goes a long way.

Learning how to sew is a great skill to have.  My mother taught me when I was small, so I can take something old and change it to something new, tailor clothes (to a certain extent).  There are several websites that show you how to take a size XL dress from Goodwill and tailor it to any size under XL.

I do wear makeup almost every day which I buy at Target.  I also usually get no less than 3 Sephora gift cards a year from various friends and family members as gifts.  At after Christmas sales I stock up on eyeshadow palettes and mini nail polishes.  I typically get then for 60-80% off so I can get a years worth for less than $20.

I get a professional hair cut MAYBE once a year.  I wear my hair long and trim it myself.  I'll go to a pro to get the basic shape and layers then just maintain it myself.  YouTube has been a huge help in teaching me how to trim my own hair, maintain layers, bangs, etc.

Lizzy B.

• Stubble
« Reply #105 on: October 02, 2014, 02:38:21 PM »
There was a similar thread to this one that got me truly hooked on these forums. Lots of good stuff in here:

http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/ask-a-mustachian/lady-staches/

From comments other women made there, I tried the oil cleansing method for a few months.  I had to give that up because I was breaking out badly, but I have hormone issues that cause much of my acne, so I’ll bet I’m a special case.  I don’t regret that experiment, though, since it introduced me to the idea of using oils as moisturizers for my face and the rest of my body.  (Almond is my favorite).

I’m now experimenting with oils and butters to make exfoliating moisturizers and massage bars.  This isn’t exactly frugal, since I did have to purchase the raw materials.  Most of these DIY body products have the same ingredients, though, so I get to make lots of new and different products with the same few ingredients.  Although I’m not really into makeup or many girly things, I really struggle with buying lots of body/face care products; I always want to try something new and different.  Maybe BECAUSE I don’t use many products, I’m always looking for a better “all-in-one” solution.  I’m really hoping making my own products helps me limit that.  Plus, I get to unleash my inner chemist and obsessive note-taker.  My family is all addicted to the Lush products now, so hopefully I’ll have some good replacements that I can give them for Christmas!

Also from advice I read here, I’ve started using an epilator.  I’d been waxing for a while, but got fed up with getting wax all over my bathroom and needing to set aside a couple hours to do it.  As a PP said, it really hurts the first time (or the first time after a long time of not doing it) but the subsequent sessions aren’t bad.  It’s much easier than waxing, and the results are just as good.  Before the first time, take a pain pill, soak and soften your legs first, and turn on some awesome sing-along songs so you’re distracting yourself.  Then, just don’t let all the hairs grow in again before repeating the treatment!

Melody

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #106 on: October 07, 2014, 05:00:39 PM »
I have tried epilator and found it incredibly slow. much slower even than home waxing and a lot more painful to boot. I am seriously considering ipl for armpits. Total cost should be about $200 and compared to having to shave every day for the next 30 odd years it sounds like a bargain. I will keep doing to home wax for legs though as its pretty fast and simple.

laheart

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #107 on: October 16, 2014, 05:54:08 PM »
For face wash and body wash I use jojoba oil.
For shaving I use either jojoba oil or coconut oil.
For a body and face scrub I mix up the following:

Base:
Raw Sugar
Coconut Oil
Honey
Pure Vitamin E Oil

Add Ins (not all used at the same time):
Lemon Essential Oil
Peppermint Essential Oil
Coffee Grounds
Anything else you want for scent!

Elisabeth

« Reply #108 on: October 20, 2014, 10:45:08 AM »
"Shampoo" with baking soda/water combo.
Rinse with cider vinegar.
15 cent pair of shower gloves to scrub.
Wash & shave with avocado oil.
Occasional salt scrub - avocado oil with salt to exfoliate.

I also quit using commercial products on my baby. I wash her with avocado oil. Her skin is perfect.

1/2 witch hazel, 5 cups water, couple drops rosemary oil, and spray bottle for baby "wipes."

Once my skin was healed from all the drying/moisturizing hell of commercial products, I needed far less makeup. I use a mineral powder and some mascara for work. Appearances absolutely matter when it comes to earning potential. But weekends without that are really nice!

carozy

• Bristles
« Reply #109 on: October 21, 2014, 12:15:51 PM »
Shampoo & conditioner, I get Trader Joe's brand which is not tested on animals and has more natural ingredients.  It also tends to last me a long time.  I've been cutting my own hair since finding this website and the layer cuts work fine for me.  I'm growing it out now.  I've also stopped coloring my hair since my natural color isn't bad, just a little dark.

I don't use moisturizers but I tend to do 4-6 week long cosmetic studies where I get free face moisturizers/gel/oil and then get paid $40 for using them for the month.  Good deal there.

I don't use make up and never have.  Maybe a little on special occasions.

I use a hat in lieu of sunscreen and since I'm usually in the city where it's colder, I'm usually wearing long sleeves/pants so I'm covered up and protected from the sun that way.  On a very hot day when I'm wearing shorts or a skirt I might use sunscreen though.  I am fond of hats and sunglasses.  I have a wide-brimmed hat that looks like a bonnet.

I'm making my way through Costco soaps that I bought in bulk years and years ago.  For my face I use a liquid face soap or plain water and a wash cloth.  Once I'm through with the soaps I have, I'll probably replace them with natural soaps.

mamagoose

• Bristles
« Reply #110 on: October 21, 2014, 04:28:24 PM »
I only wear makeup when I know I'm going to be photographed, i.e. at a wedding, formal event, work convention. Last time I put on makeup I thought to myself "this is a five dollar face!" - that stuff adds up.

I cut my own hair and don't color it, but if I start to see grays eventually (I'm only 30 now) I'll probably dye it myself at home, never done it before & think it'll be fun.

fallstoclimb

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #111 on: October 22, 2014, 07:37:42 AM »
I don't use moisturizers but I tend to do 4-6 week long cosmetic studies where I get free face moisturizers/gel/oil and then get paid $40 for using them for the month.  Good deal there.

Tell us more about this!

carozy

• Bristles
« Reply #112 on: October 22, 2014, 10:00:10 AM »

Tell us more about this!

It's with Biometrix.  Here is their website:  http://biometrixinc.com/

I don't remember how or when I signed up, but sign up I did.  Seems I received an email out of the blue from them asking if I wanted to do a face study for an oil moisturizer from out of their SF office.  So I started doing studies with them.  I've done 3 studies total and might be on my 4th tonight, I'll have to call about it.  It's another moisturizer one.  Typically they want women for the studies.  I ride my bike after work to their office, pick up the product and the instructions, use it everyday and keep a journal, and a month later ride back with the used product and my journal and receive a $40 check.  Pretty easy money and kinda fun too.  One of the studies I did was for glittery eyeshadow.  But I prefer the moisturizer ones.  Because I'm a tomboy at heart.

sunnyca

• Bristles
« Reply #113 on: October 29, 2014, 12:06:28 PM »
Here's my solution though:
Crea Clip. This thing is amazing. I've had it for a few year now. Works great for ladies who want to cut their daughter's hair or their own.. works best for us ladies who have longer hair.
I paid roughly $30 for the clip, used it a zillion times and every time I use it, I save myself $40 by not going to a hair dresser who usually screws my hair up.

How easy is it to use?  I'm terrible with hair, so...

fireferrets

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #114 on: November 06, 2014, 05:12:38 PM »
1.   Use baking soda in water instead of shampoo (there's some adjustment time and anyone interested should read about no-poo)
2. Use vinegar in water to condition hair and as smoothing spray

I am definitely going to give these two a try.

resy

• Bristles
« Reply #115 on: November 06, 2014, 05:21:43 PM »

- For every super exclusive overpriced cosmetic there's a drugstore version that works just as well.

Mostly true. My biggest make-up expense is my overpriced foundation which is the only one I've found that doesn't make my very fair skin look completely ridiculous. Fortunately, there are drugstore transparant powders!

Other than said foundation I'm very frugal reg beauty products.

- very long straight hair, cut approximately every 6-9 months (usually, hardly anybody notices) for around 25 EUR
- drugstore shampoo plus conditioner every 4-5 days (can't count the times I've been asked: how come your hair looks so healthy, what do you do? Answer: It's what you don't do. Do not color and do not shampoo daily and you'll be fine)
- "do" my own nails, usually without polish
- make-up: foundation and powder (see above) plus mascara. I'd love not to use it regularly but I need to given my occoupation (law firm)
- sunscreen is a necessity for me in summer. Fair skin and all.
- soap: usually bars from hotels where I or my SO stayed during business travel.
- hair removal: very simple razor blades/cardridges (not sure what the right term is), Gilette G II (no, I won't pay you double just for coloring the plastic pink)
alas! At last a person that shares my exact point of view on razors. Drives me crazy ppl cant figure this out.

resy

• Bristles
« Reply #116 on: November 06, 2014, 05:33:21 PM »
-I have a HUGE jar of coconut oil, I use it as a moisterizer, and to do the facial oil-cleansing method. Also works well in your hair as a once a week treatment.
-Cheap conditioner as shaving cream.
-Used to shop at sephora a lot (pre mmm) and have discovered that regarding makeup I only need: drugstore foundation for special ocasions, drugstore mascara (2 different types layered on...gives u huge lashes), bright blush and gel eyeliner.
I do prefer the bobbie brown gel eyeliners, they are pricey but they are of great quality and last forever.
Kindness and a smile give you that little extra "something something" ;)

AllChoptUp

• Stubble
« Reply #117 on: November 17, 2014, 07:57:44 AM »
Here's my solution though:
Crea Clip. This thing is amazing. I've had it for a few year now. Works great for ladies who want to cut their daughter's hair or their own.. works best for us ladies who have longer hair.
I paid roughly $30 for the clip, used it a zillion times and every time I use it, I save myself $40 by not going to a hair dresser who usually screws my hair up.

How easy is it to use?  I'm terrible with hair, so...

Bought the crea clip based on this rec - thanks! Makes my bangs look professionally trimmed. +1 internets for you!

MrsK

• Stubble
« Reply #118 on: November 18, 2014, 05:06:26 PM »
I did have most of my body hair--legs, bikini area, under arms--removed with a laser pre-MMM.  This is one of those past decisions I have mixed feeling about.  It was a lot of money, but man I love not having to worry about shaving anymore. 

kbeth07

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #119 on: January 12, 2015, 03:05:03 PM »
I'm sure a lot of this has been covered, but:
-I make a scrub with sugar and olive or coconut oil, and use it on my arms and legs in the shower. Sometimes I grate up an orange peel to add, it smells really good!
-Instead of lip balm/Chapstick, I use rosebud salve. I bought a 0.8 ounce container for $6 at Sephora about 2 1/2 years ago, I use it pretty often, and it's still halfway full.
-If you ever feel the need to get beauty treatments done, check out your local cosmetology school or the cosmetology department at your local community college. I know mine offers hair cuts and coloring, waxing, manicures/pedicures, massages, facials, etc. An hour long massage is about half of normal price, waxing is like $3, manicures are $7, etc. I know it's probably not Mustachian to get these things done, but if you're going to, say, a wedding or something, it might not be a bad option.

MrsPotato

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #120 on: January 12, 2015, 03:49:01 PM »
I'm a bit late to join the party but I felt like contributing some of my beauty hacks:

1. Drinking LOTS of water (great for skin and hair)
2. Exercising and staying in shape
3. Clay mudwash for cleansing hair (bentonite/rhassoul clay mixed with apple cider vinegar and aloe juice)
4. Make my own deep conditioners using a cheap conditioner and adding my fav oils to it
5. Exfoliate face with baking soda, tone with witchhazel, moisturize with coconut oil
6. Use whatever soap I have in the shower to shave... works perfectly fine for me
7. Use homemade whipped body butter as lotion (shea butter, cocoa butter, coconut oil, essential oils)
8. I also use cheap drug store make-up (foundation, mascara, eyeliner etc costs about $100 per year)
9. Cut my own hair
10. Braid my own hair (I have afro texture hair and it's extremely expensive to get it braided at a salon. Thankfully, I have magic hands!)

Thanks for sharing all you tips! So much great info :-)

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #121 on: January 12, 2015, 04:32:36 PM »
I love the women of this forum!  I've switched from getting my hair cut 3-4 times/year ($75+tip) to cutting my own hair.  I've streamlined my make-up and skincare routines.  While I still spend a significant amount on a some products, I use the entire product and don't have multiples.  My morning prep routine has gone from 45 minutes to 15 minutes (includes shower and breakfast), so I can fit in a workout in the morning. 

irishbear99

• Bristles
« Reply #122 on: January 12, 2015, 05:29:03 PM »
How do people go 3-4 days without washing their hair? If I don't wash my hair daily, it gets uber oily and stringy. I've tried just rinsing it, but it gets so tangled if I don't use conditioner that I can't get a comb through it. And, if I only rinse it and add conditioner, it just gets even more oily. My hair is really healthy despite daily washing; however, I'd love to find a way to cut back, even if it's just to every other day. Suggestions?

Elliot

• Bristles
« Reply #123 on: January 12, 2015, 05:52:53 PM »
Skip a day on a stay home day. Do that whenever you can. You'll have a few bad hair days, but eventually your hair WILL stop overproducing oil. It took me a few years to go from daily to once or twice a week.  I sometimes use a dry shampoo, which is nice for occasional use.

midweststache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #124 on: January 12, 2015, 06:08:38 PM »
1. Buy shampoo/conditioner in large bottles, which Kiss My Face does automatically.
2. Since I have short, curly hair, I don't use much product. One Kiss My Face bottle might last me 6-8 months, and my mousse has lasted me even longer. I also don't shampoo everyday.
3. It gets real cold in the winter, so I just basically don't shave anything from October-March. Yay natural insulation!
4. My make-up bag basically consists of BB cream, lip balm, and a bit of lip tint for fancy days. Also, a really good pair of tweezers. It's tiny and I love it.
5. A great, reasonable tailor (no space or talent for sewing, yet) and cobbler within walking distance from my apartment. My $99 winter boots have lasted me three Chicago winters because of my awesome cobbler (I wear them basically every day from October-March).
6. A general distaste for shopping.
7. A mother who gets those stupid Clinique free gifts every time they come out because, hey! free! (except you have to spend however much to get one) and then just gives me that awesome moisturizer that comes in the kit (because she usually buys a fancier one to get the free gift). I haven't paid for moisturizer in YEARS...
8. A sister who wears the same size as me and whose closet is twice as big. I came home with three new dress shirts when she cleaned out her closet over Christmas. One still had a tag on it... *yeesh* If I bought new and trendy things, she would raid my closet, but since a significant chunk of it is her hand-me-downs...'

MountainGal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #125 on: January 14, 2015, 02:49:11 PM »
-Get my hair cut once a year (using birthday money), and cut my own bangs in the interim
-Wash my hair every other day (it's dry)
-Use coupons for everything including Maybelline, Neutrogena, Pantene, and Caress
-Use store brand facial wipes in the multi-pack to wipe off make-up
-Drink plenty of water, take vitamins, get plenty of sleep
-Laugh often, smile as much as possible
-Covet freebie samples
-Wash clothes with Woolite in the gentle cycle, hang a lot of it to air dry
-Ask for clothing gift cards for Christmas/BD (the only time I clothes shop)
-I don't wear makeup on weekends
« Last Edit: January 14, 2015, 02:53:31 PM by MountainGal »

MsAligned

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #126 on: January 15, 2015, 02:59:22 PM »
- wash my hair (thick, straight, shoulder length) with baking soda; vinegar rinse
- make my own toothpaste (the little plastic balls in toothpaste were the last straw!)
- make my own mouth wash
I have had acne since the age of 14 and I will still break out and get blackheads now (age 56) so my skin has always been a problem. I have been doing a Paleo type diet the past 2 years and have found it helps my skin a lot. Pre MMM days I bought myself a facial package at a salon where they were pushing very expensive products. I found that Alpha hydrox brand products (http://www.neotericcosmetics.com/alpha-hydrox/products.html) performed just as well at a much lower cost. I have been using their products for several years now. They have regular buy 2 get one free sales. As a person with problematic skin all her life I would recommend the use of alpha hydroxy acids along with sun block. It will keep your skin free of wrinkles and brown spots. Be sure to do your neck and decollete, the back of your hands and your wrists. Speaking from experience here. The other great thing you can do for your skin is to maintain a constant weight rather than yo-yoing (speaking from experience again).

11ducks

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #127 on: January 16, 2015, 02:33:29 AM »

My grandma always used to tell me that youth, health and simplicity were the best beauty tips, so I keep in good shape, always wear sunscreen on my face, chest and arms, big floppy hat outside, and aim for simple, minimal makeup, simple classic colours, no trendy clothes, very little jewellery.

Keeping eyebrows nicely shaped, nails clean and hair clean and neat is easy to do and really improves your overall look

I use the cheapest possible shampoo that works, am lucky to have nice hair (except for the absurdly long greys that pop up occasionally!) I wear it long and haven't had it cut professionally for more than a decade.

Learned how to use liquid liner properly (so I didn't look like a pirate/hooker), and now it lasts me ages - I buy really cheap stuff from BigW (like Walmart) for $2 and it lasts me months.

Buy my other beauty products (foundation $9, mascara $4, lipstick $4) from a cheap teenage-y type shop (always the same colours - it suits me) while I can still get away with it!

Most important, a positive attitude and a smile :)

“If a person has ugly thoughts, it begins to show on the face. And when that person has ugly thoughts every day, every week, every year, the face gets uglier and uglier until you can hardly bear to look at it.

A person who has good thoughts cannot ever be ugly. You can have a wonky nose and a crooked mouth and a double chin and stick-out teeth, but if you have good thoughts it will shine out of your face like sunbeams and you will always look lovely
.” Roald Dahl

kbeth07

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #128 on: January 17, 2015, 11:40:05 PM »
-Get my hair cut once a year (using birthday money), and cut my own bangs in the interim
-Wash my hair every other day (it's dry)
-Use coupons for everything including Maybelline, Neutrogena, Pantene, and Caress
-Use store brand facial wipes in the multi-pack to wipe off make-up
-Drink plenty of water, take vitamins, get plenty of sleep
-Laugh often, smile as much as possible
-Covet freebie samples
-Wash clothes with Woolite in the gentle cycle, hang a lot of it to air dry
-Ask for clothing gift cards for Christmas/BD (the only time I clothes shop)
-I don't wear makeup on weekends

Oh yeah, I also try to stay pretty up to date on freebies. It's not always super fruitful, but I know health and beauty companies give out free samples pretty often. I have a bunch of nice high-quality samples of shampoo, conditioner, face wash, etc. plus free tampons and such. I ended up donating a bunch of them to a women's shelter with some hotel toiletries to tame my stockpile though.

A couple other things....

When I was younger, I would put lemon juice in a spray bottle, dilute it with a little water, spray it on my hair, and lay out in the sun for an hour or two to lighten it. Probably not the best season for that right now, lol, but I got pretty good results. My hair is a light brown and it turned nearly blond, not sure how it would be for darker hair though.

To whiten your teeth, add a little bit of baking soda to your toothpaste while brushing your teeth, do it once a day for a couple weeks. Apparently rubbing banana peels on them is supposed to help too.

Lush gives out samples of their product in stores. You don't necessarily have to buy anything, just say that you're interested in trying xyz product. In my case, I just mentioned to a saleswoman that I was curious about trying one of those deodorant bars and she gave me a pretty decent sized sample to take home. (I didn't even know about the policy at the time, lol.) Of course, have some manners and don't go in demanding to try everything in the store, or constantly ask for samples without ever making a purchase. :P

While we're on the subject, Sephora gives out free makeup for your birthday (usually a couple small-sized things, but always nice).

pancakes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #129 on: January 18, 2015, 03:41:59 AM »
I don't use moisturisers or face wash. I wash my face with warm water and that seems to do the trick. I do wear make up but just a small amount with a suncream base and I don't have any problems removing it with water. I actually find that washing my face with soap or detergent makes my skin worse.

When it comes to my hair I dye it myself using Henna. Unfortunately I got a lot of grey hairs early and vanity has got me with this one. $20 does my long hair 3x and I find that as it fades it blends into my roots which allows me to go a few months before it bothers me. Red seems to suit me and people seem genuinely shocked to learn it is fake and even more so to learn it is a diy home job. 

Hair cuts are something else entirely. I've paid for 1 in the past 6 years. I get it chopped off pretty short and then let grow out for a few years and then repeat. Because I don't blow dry or straighten it I find that the ends don't get too icky and the Henna seems to improve the condition of it too.

pipercat

• Bristles
« Reply #130 on: January 18, 2015, 06:09:50 AM »
While we're on the subject, Sephora gives out free makeup for your birthday (usually a couple small-sized things, but always nice).

Thanks for this tip!  I have a birthday coming up, and I just registered thanks to you.

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #131 on: January 18, 2015, 01:57:17 PM »
How do people go 3-4 days without washing their hair? If I don't wash my hair daily, it gets uber oily and stringy. I've tried just rinsing it, but it gets so tangled if I don't use conditioner that I can't get a comb through it. And, if I only rinse it and add conditioner, it just gets even more oily. My hair is really healthy despite daily washing; however, I'd love to find a way to cut back, even if it's just to every other day. Suggestions?
I *really* scrub my scalp with shampoo for at least a minute.  I coat my hair below my ears with conditioner and let it set for a few minutes.  When my scalp is oily on a nonwash day, I use corn starch on my hairline (rub it in really well).

Getting to the every third day wash schedule happened slowly (and possibly as I've aged).  I still use regular shampoo and conditioner.  I tried the no-poo routine and hated it.

I've been cutting my hair shorter as I get older. I've found that I can go more days without shampooing with short hair than long hair. I'm due for a haircut and can't stand the oily hair after just one day of not shampooing! What is it with long hair...

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #132 on: January 18, 2015, 05:51:11 PM »
My hair is long (bottom of shoulder blades) and I only wash every third/fourth day.  When I was young they could have run an oil well off my scalp.  I find it is a function of age and diet.  I also went low carb a few years ago and found it made a difference, and now I am low carb/no grain it is even less oily - but I am also older.

Brushes and how much brushing you do also makes a difference - my scalp and hair were healthier way back when, when I used a boar bristle brush, but they are almost non-existent now.

I've been cutting my hair shorter as I get older. I've found that I can go more days without shampooing with short hair than long hair. I'm due for a haircut and can't stand the oily hair after just one day of not shampooing! What is it with long hair...

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #133 on: January 18, 2015, 06:03:06 PM »
I have been brushing my teeth with baking soda for about a year now.  Love it. I also rinse with a bit of diluted hydrogen peroxide--I was hoping this would whiten my teeth.  Maybe it has worked a bit, but not as much as I would like.

I also just recently switched to using baking soda and apple cider vinegar for my hair.  I plan to never use shampoo or conditioner again.

I also have been cutting my own hair for almost three years.

I don't use any make up.  Never have.

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #134 on: January 18, 2015, 06:42:25 PM »
My hair is long (bottom of shoulder blades) and I only wash every third/fourth day.  When I was young they could have run an oil well off my scalp.  I find it is a function of age and diet.  I also went low carb a few years ago and found it made a difference, and now I am low carb/no grain it is even less oily - but I am also older.

Brushes and how much brushing you do also makes a difference - my scalp and hair were healthier way back when, when I used a boar bristle brush, but they are almost non-existent now.

My relatively new low-maintenance hairstyle means I NEVER brush my hair. You heard that right. I've got naturally wavy hair and have a hairstyle that just requires me to wash, comb, and let it air-dry. I run my fingers through my wet hair as it's drying to get "the wave" to settle right. I love this low-maintenance hairstyle.

HP

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #135 on: January 18, 2015, 06:56:43 PM »
Hair-- I shampoo every other day (semi-long, very fine and thin hair) as I haven't been able to make no-poo work for me. Instead of conditioner, I use a couple drops of oil, finger comb it through the length of hair (not letting it get anywhere near my scalp) and rinse out with hot water. I try to shampoo only my scalp and not the length of my hair to avoid needing to use it at all.

I cut it myself.  You can do a slight taper by parting your hair exactly down the middle, from your forehead to neck, and pull the two parts forward under your chin (like bonnet strings) and cutting it straight across. For taper+layers, bend your head down (the more you bend, the deeper the layers) and part only the back of your head, not the top, so that it pulls straight over your face into a pony tail. It's best done damp so that you can cut it evenly with no awkward bits, and I use a fine tooth comb so that everything lays straight and flat. I don't know whether this is the ideal haircut for curly girls. My hair is straight with minimal body, and this really helps lighten it up some. Bangs, you want to pull it to a point in the middle of your face instead of cutting straight across your forehead (so that it's slightly longer on the sides than the middle) to get a more modern look.

On the rare occasions that I have dandruff, I massage oil all over my scalp, let it soak in overnight, and wash it all out in the morning, massaging thoroughly to get all the dead skin. The oil loosens it up with leaving scratchy bleeding spots behind like when I would just try to scrape it off dry. >_< This is also awesome for cradle cap on babies.

I avoid makeup because my skin is sensitive, so I only need to wash with warm water, no soap. I moisturize with a one part tallow, one part coconut oil balm that has a teensy bit of peppermint and tea tree oil in it. The tallow is amazing. My skin looks so much smoother and happier when I remember to do this. It also stretches out the amount of time I can spend in the sun before I need to either move to the shade or apply sunscreen to avoid burning. It also works better than lotions, which are often water or alcohol based.

Plain coconut oil is the best lip balm I've ever tried. (commercial stuff dries my lips out, tallow tastes yucky, beeswax is oddly sticky.)

Every now and then I brush my teeth with a dab of coconut oil. It makes them whiter and glossier.

I also make my own deodorant. It's half solid fats (like tallow, or anything that won't melt at room temperature) and half baking soda. I like to add some lemon oil for a pleasant scent.

I also appreciate what others have said about diet, exercise, etc. It helps with good colour and feeling good because you're actually healthy beats feeling good because you're hiding behind a fake face.

fresh

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #136 on: January 18, 2015, 09:38:41 PM »
I do some of these things (cutting my own hair, only washing it twice a week) but when it comes to makeup I don't use the really cheapo or made in china stuff like elf or wet n wild.  I'll use some drugstore brands especially for things like mascara and eye liner and I actually prefer burt's bees pomegranate chapstick to any lipstick/gloss I've ever tried but... I used to get most of my makeup at Sephora and I've been saving them for "special" occasions.  I recently had a reason to pull out my Laura Mercier tinted moisturizer and woah, I was quite shocked at how well it went on and looked.  I feel like when it comes to "girly" products people can be a little unfair and quick to judge, but sometimes more expensive products do actually do a better job, it is just a matter of figuring out when its worth it and when it isn't.

I'm also really curious about specific foods people are eating or avoiding because I've changed my diet within the last year to include a lot more healthy fats and reduced sugar and some highly inflammatory foods and while my skin on the rest of my body seems much better moisturized, my face is still dry as can be!

HP

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #137 on: January 18, 2015, 10:37:27 PM »
I'm also really curious about specific foods people are eating or avoiding because I've changed my diet within the last year to include a lot more healthy fats and reduced sugar and some highly inflammatory foods and while my skin on the rest of my body seems much better moisturized, my face is still dry as can be!

You know, my face does a lot better during the summer than the winter despite minimal diet changes, so I've always assumed there's the element of needing more Vit. D. I dunno, though.

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #138 on: January 19, 2015, 08:11:09 AM »

You know, my face does a lot better during the summer than the winter despite minimal diet changes, so I've always assumed there's the element of needing more Vit. D. I dunno, though.

I think everyone's body is different, so it's hard to say what kinds of foods to avoid. The best thing is to avoid processed foods almost completely and stick with the kinds of "living" foods that would go bad after a while if not eaten. Those kinds of foods have the living and active natural chemicals and processes that keep life going on, so they've got to be good for you.

Also, I saw a Sanjay Gupta episode once where he interviewed a nutritionist that advocated eating all types of peels as the peels have a lot of nutrition that keep the fruit or vegetable itself "looking" young and keeping them fresh. Obviously some are a no-no such as pineapple - but who knows maybe you can make a tea from that??? Just do an online search for all kinds of things like that.

Other than that, the holistic practitioners I frequent usually, and almost unanimously, ban dairy foods. I do eat some yogurt and put a little half-and-half in milk. But when my eczema was all flared up, I totally removed dairy from my diet. Also, with my eczema, she told me certain things that are good for others weren't good for me - such as oranges and tomatoes because of their high acidity. You'd have to ask an expert for your particular condition. True enough, I took oranges out of my diet and it helped a lot. Now that my eczema is clear for over 10 years, I can eat some oranges here and there and it doesn't affect me.

I used to love getting a Big Mac at McDs every now and then when I was younger - don't ask me why as they are disgusting. Once after many years of clear skin without eczema, I had a small craving for a Big Mac. After eating it, I had some dry patches on my face, reminiscent of my old flared up days. It wasn't too bad, but it cleared away after a few days. I just know there is so much crap in these processed foods that can really mess up your system, especially if you've conquered your ills and are healthy. You notice the skin flareups more when you are clear and they come back as opposed to already having issues and then eating poorly and a new little dry patch is just part of your general problem.

Another thing is to eat/drink a lot of greens. Greens are great for cleansing your body and removing the toxins that lead to bad skin. I notice when I travel and don't have access to my wonderful homemade salads, that I don't feel as well. I long to make it back home and eat my varied greens. You can eat them in salads and all kinds of smoothies. If in a smoothie, I suggest adding apple or some other "sweet" thing to give the smoothie good taste.

I used to have to sleep with a tub of moisturizing cream by my bed and reapply throughout the night when my skin was really bad, and now I don't even use moisturizing cream. If someone had told me in the past that my skin would recover to this point, I would not have believed them. BTW, I am in my mid-40s and always had these issues of dry skin until I cleared it up through diet and my holistic care.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2015, 08:17:21 AM by Daisy »

pipercat

• Bristles
« Reply #139 on: January 19, 2015, 08:47:15 AM »
Daisy, I'm curious about the holistic practitioners you've visited.  How exactly would I find such a person?Derms? Medspas? Facialists?

I've struggled with eczema flare ups off and on for more than 20 years.  It has certainly improved as I've gotten older, but I've recently begun to explore the role of diet and my skin.  Also, I have a friend in her late 40's who just developed eczema for the first time.  Her derm has her slathering cream, but I know there has to be more to it.

HP

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #140 on: January 19, 2015, 03:59:09 PM »
I've struggled with eczema flare ups off and on for more than 20 years.  It has certainly improved as I've gotten older, but I've recently begun to explore the role of diet and my skin.  Also, I have a friend in her late 40's who just developed eczema for the first time.  Her derm has her slathering cream, but I know there has to be more to it.

My son has dealt with really horrible eczema since birth, almost. Really bad cracking, bleeding, seeping, etc. I tried all the creams and they helped with the cracking and bleeding but didn't actually make it go away. In his case, I had to remove all dairy and gluten from his diet (and mine while I was nursing) before it actually healed up. He has some mild flareups during the winter, I think from dry skin+clothes friction, but aside from those instances I don't have to be smearing stuff on him anymore as long as he keeps to his diet.

Of course, the root cause may vary for different people. I did a lot of reading about eczema when I was trying to figure out what was going on with my son, and it could be anything from a cellular condition, to the water you bathe in, to any random food that you eat (eliciting a histamine reaction, i.e. the eczema). Everything that touches your body or goes in your body is suspect. Most people that I talked to were convinced that it must be laundry soap or something like that in my son's case, since that's common for babies, but the placement and timing of the rash didn't match up to that guess. Bunches of people said to put coconut oil on it to make it go away, but then I noticed that he broke out in more rashes when I used coconut oil, and he still reacts to external use of coconut oil (eating it in things doesn't seem to bother him).

Plain tallow was the best cream ever for soothing the rash, but it addressed the symptom and not the cause so of course it didn't actually fix the problem.

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #141 on: January 19, 2015, 04:08:21 PM »
Daisy, I'm curious about the holistic practitioners you've visited.  How exactly would I find such a person?Derms? Medspas? Facialists?

I spent quite a bit of my life until my mid-30s at the dermatologists' offices. I tried all the different dermatologists when I got recommendations from others. "The best doctor! Go the the local university hospital and get the latest technology!" I even went to the local Cleveland Clinic to get "the latest" thoughts on my condition. They all came back with the same spiel pretty much..."We don't know what causes it and, here, use this brand new formulated version of expensive cortisone cream. We're sure it will work for you." I even got injected with cortisone. It gave temporarily relief from the itching sometimes, but never cleared up my skin. And I had it all over, including my scalp and face which are areas in which you can't use cortisone cream.

I was resigned to the fact that this was going to be with me my whole life and no one could help me.

Until a co-worker suggested I go see a homeopath that his son's pediatrician had recommended and had cleared up his childhood eczema. I had no high hopes or expectations as all else had failed. But it was worth a try, even though not covered by insurance. In the long run it was much cheaper than going through the insurance-approved treatments because I barely use anything for it now, and the added bonus that it actually solved my problem.

I posted elsewhere on this forum how this helped me. Some people doubted me saying it was all a placebo or something, though it wasn't as I had tried almost everything to help my condition. Homeopathy is used in Europe and India a lot as well. My Indian coworkers say it is very popular back home.

She suggested a few dietary things in addition to the homeopathic treatment of sulphur she gave me. That treatment pretty much transformed my skin over the course of 8 months or so until I became the "new" me. The treatment removed my itch almost from the start, but a lot of oozing and skin rebuilding had to happen in the meantime until my healthy skin reappeared.

I'm not sure about other health conditions, but for chronic things that "regular" medicine just can't seem to help certain people on, I think it's worth trying to see someone who looks at the body as a whole, a person's diet, and can heal them "from the inside". I found as a result of all of this that my bad skin was my body's way of warning me that something was going on wrong on the inside, and a lot of it was digestive in nature.

I might sound kind of new-agey, but I don't care. :-)

All sorts of things fixed themselves when I got rid of my eczema. I used to get sick all of the time, probably because of a weakened immune system, but rarely get sick now. I used to be tired a lot, as my body was taxed to the limit battling the eczema. It's not like it's a cure in that I will always have a tendency to break out into eczema if I don't control my diet or other environmental things. For the past ten years though, I've had it 100% under control, have naturally moisturized skin, and people don't believe me when I tell them of my past issues (as when I try to suggest this path to someone I see suffering with this).
« Last Edit: January 19, 2015, 04:19:11 PM by Daisy »

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #142 on: January 19, 2015, 04:13:35 PM »
to the water you bathe in

Yes!

I had a mini flare-up a few years ago and even my homeopath couldn't help me. After telling her I went to Europe for two weeks and cleared up a little and then came back home and it came back, I told her it probably wasn't just my diet. I then happened to mention that when I take a shower the water was smelling funny.

Turns out my flare up (in hindsight) timed just perfectly with the installation of the new water system in my town. I don't know what it was, but the water was starting to have a strong odor. My guess is that they were adding extra chemicals in the water to kill any bacteria and stuff since they spent like 2 years dredging up all of the old pipes and installing the new system. It was probably needed to keep the water clean, but it really messed with me. My neighbor said her visiting son also noticed the funny smelling water.

Well, she suggested installing a water softener, which wasn't cheap, and it magically removed my skin issues. But the water system we had before never caused these issues so I'm guessing it was a new thing being added to the water.

Astatine

• Magnum Stache
  • Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #143 on: January 19, 2015, 07:11:00 PM »
I spend maybe $20 per year on hair products, and these days I try to buy them from the Reject Shop - same brands as the supermarkets sell, but cheaper. So I spend about $10 on shampoo and conditioner (and I mix it up a bit with bicarb or vinegar), and maybe another $10 on mousse and hairspray for when I don't want to tie my hair up in a pony tail, and don't want the frizz you get when your hair is wavy/curly.

Where I live, sunscreen is an essential, not a beauty thing (Australia's UV is brutal, particularly in summer). Recently discovered the spray on 50+ stuff which seems to work well in being able to be outside, not get burnt and not look like a white ghost from the zinc or titanium oxide. We probably spend $20-$30 per year on sunscreens as most of them give me rashes, and DH is more likely to use the easier to apply ones than el cheapo ones.

I've never dyed my hair in my entire life and have no plans to start doing so. I cut my own hair with a bit of help from DH to make sure it's semi-straight. DH uses clippers on his own hair.

I have a small collection of moisturisers, all gifts. Again, in winter where I live, it's a necessity as the cold dry air can cause skin on knuckles to crack and bleed. Yuk. I love winter but not that aspect of it.

I have a small stash of makeup that I occasionally wear. If I need to replace any of it, I either buy on super special or use points on DH's credit card to pay for it. I also have a stash of nail polish that will take me forever to get through.

I like to tie my hair up with hair elastics. The Salvos (an op shop) sell them for about $3 for 100, which lasts me several years (they all eventually stretch and break, regardless of what brand, or I lose them).

I use disposable razors for underarm and leg hair. One razor usually lasts me 6+ months and I buy a bag of cheap ones every 4 or 5 years. I use el cheapo conditioner (that DH uses for himself) from Aldi as shaving cream for my legs, and cheap Palmolive soap (sometimes it's on special at the chemist or Reject Shop for $3 or $4 for pack of 4) for underarms.

I wash my face with water only, but I do always have a stash of facial wipes for the rare occasion I wear makeup or if I've worn sunscreen that day but not showering in the evening. I buy those on special (maybe $2 for a pack of 25 that lasts me 6+months). I have a tube of facial exfoliant that I use occasionally. No idea how much it cost cos I bought it at least 3 or 4 years ago, but it would have been less than $10.

I don't shower every day. Mostly because of laziness. If the weather is hot and sticky, then I'm more likely to shower daily during a heatwave, but otherwise, I probably shower 3-4 times per week. DH used to shower every single morning, but I've corrupted him too and now he showers maybe 5-6 times a week, less if we're on holidays at home.

Adventine

• Handlebar Stache
Re: &quot;Pretty&quot; Mustachians, share your beauty hacks
« Reply #144 on: January 19, 2015, 07:29:41 PM »
Update: I've been trying the coconut oil as makeup remover trick and it's working fantastically well!

Well, I only use eyebrow pencil, mascara and lipstick, though. No foundation, blush, or eye shadow.

I wash my face with soap and water, dry it with a towel, then use a bit of cotton dabbed with coconut oil to get rid of the leftover makeup (mostly stubborn bits of mascara). After wiping off the makeup residue, a bit of oil is left on my skin, which makes for an excellent moisturizer. A little goes a long way - I estimate my 250ml bottle of cheapo extra virgin coconut oil (really really cheap because of where I live) will last me about a year.

thingamabobs

• Stubble
« Reply #145 on: January 26, 2015, 12:31:45 AM »
I have had really long hair for most of my life and was always trying new conditioners, treatments, etc for my dry/split ends. One night (has to be 5 years ago now) I couldn't sleep, ended up watching infomercials and saw a commercial for Wen which is advertised as cleansing conditioner. If you haven't heard of it, let's just say I was not about to start paying $30 a bottle for a month's supply. I googled reviews for Wen and stumbled across women who have been conditioner washing their hair for years! I decided to try it out with a bottle of Suave Natural (my hair likes strawberry the best) since they are $1.50/family size bottle. I took enough conditioner to fill my entire hand and ran it from scalp to ends, I work the scalp just like when I use regular shampoo, then I twist the hair up into a bun and continue the rest of my shower. The first time I rinsed out my hair I couldn't believe how soft it was and has been hooked every since. Now, a lot of the ladies that I followed this advice from will only co-wash, but as I used to shampoo everyday I just alternate regular shampoo/condition and co-washing. When I used to go to the salon, the stylist would never believe that it had been 6-8 months since my last trim since I had so few splits. I also notice less hair in the drain. The $1.50 bottle will usually last me a month.

It's been over year since my last salon visit, I just watched youtube video on how to cut layers in my hair, and wil probably invest in a creaclip.

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #146 on: January 26, 2015, 10:09:53 AM »
Awesome tricks in here.

I recently cut my hair shorter, and more recently (3 days ago) got my girlfriend to start cutting my hair. I used to shampoo and condition every day, but it's so short now I don't need to at all. I still do sometimes out of habit when I'm half awake in the morning, but that habit is slowly slipping away. I'm looking forward to trying the ideas listed on this thread.

I've never really worn makeup, but have some that was gifted to me for special occasions, and I mostly just use water for washing my face. I do have some spendypants stuff that a friend convinced me to buy, but I use it once a month at most. It will last a long time. I should probably use moisturizer more often.

I also started using an epilator about a year ago. I had been waxing my arms because I have such thick dark hair, but the epilator works just as well and saves me a lot of time and money. This weekend I tested it on part of my bikini line to see if I would have any negative reactions. So far, since the red spots faded after an hour or two, nothing. Not brave enough to try armpits yet, but maybe some day. I do love how much longer it takes everything to grow back, and how it seems to grow back lighter.

I have so many other products I got for free or bought ages ago that I want to use up before I start trying out different methods, but I'm excited to see how they work.

AllChoptUp

• Stubble
« Reply #147 on: January 28, 2015, 09:21:35 AM »

I also started using an epilator about a year ago. I had been waxing my arms because I have such thick dark hair, but the epilator works just as well and saves me a lot of time and money. This weekend I tested it on part of my bikini line to see if I would have any negative reactions. So far, since the red spots faded after an hour or two, nothing. Not brave enough to try armpits yet, but maybe some day. I do love how much longer it takes everything to grow back, and how it seems to grow back lighter.

Have used enough epilators to start shivering in fear when I think about them.  You are tougher than I :)

Kitsunegari

• Bristles
  • Penny wise, pound foolish
« Reply #148 on: September 22, 2015, 07:29:35 AM »
Nice thread!
- Sometimes I wash my hair with chickpea flour, but it's more recommendable for oily hair.
- Vinegar in the rinse for me too, love it!
- I scrub with olive oil and salt, leaves a wonderfun skin.
- As a face moisturized I use either pure jojoba oil or vitamine A capsules (pierced and slathered on face), they're absolutely wonderful for me (normal skin)
- I use lanoline for my lips, but only as a heavy-duty repair, because works really well but stinks terribly for my DH
- I used to use eggyolk as shampoo, but I have very long hair and I need at least 3, so it gets expensive. I still do it while travelling, so I don't need to bring shampoo with me
- egg white makes beautiful face masks
- almond oil after epilating/waxing, leaves a smooth skin and it melts away the leftover wax

Also, not a beauty tip, but we use coconut butter as lubricant and it works much better of anything else we ever used.

Kitsunegari

• Bristles
  • Penny wise, pound foolish
« Reply #149 on: September 22, 2015, 07:41:48 AM »
I forgot: I drench my hair in avocado oil when I go swimming. It takes lots of shampoo to wash it off, but still much better that drenching my hair in chlorine...

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!