Author Topic: "Pretty" Mustachians, share your beauty hacks  (Read 92467 times)

Splendid

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: "Pretty" Mustachians, share your beauty hacks
« Reply #50 on: May 30, 2014, 02:44:24 PM »
What do you guys use to wash your face on a daily basis?  (Not a once weekly scrub).  It literally just occurred to me right this minute that I can probably stop buying special 'fash wash' (marketing) and just use, like, normal body wash or other soap?  Am I incorrect?  I guess if you need the sacilyc acid to prevent breakouts that would be a reason to use dedicated face wash, but thanks to birth control I don't have an issue with that really.

I use honey! I smear it on my face right before I hop in the shower, then rinse it off. I break out drastically less now.

nikki

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #51 on: May 31, 2014, 07:48:29 AM »
Okay, this may or may not be a hack, but it has helped me tremendously lately. . . I use the products that had previously been sent to the product graveyard of my bathroom closet.  So many times, I have been wooed by a product ad or recommendation, and I've purchased the product. That leaves me putting away the half-used bottles or jars of whatever I was already using.   

So lately, when I run out of something, I go to the closet and resurrect whatever was sent there to begin with. I'm currently back to using a moisturizer that I put away at least two years ago, and some leave in conditioner that is even older.

Of course, if it no longer works, or gives me crappy results, I toss it, but that rarely happens.
I've been doing this! I want to move to all natural products that I make myself but I realized I have a stash of body wash and lotion leftover from my couponing days so I've vowed to use that up before I start on the all natural stuff. The stash was largely free so I didn't want to be foolish and not use it.

I do this with hotel toiletries my family saves for me. I'm not picky! And some hotels actually have pretty fancy stuff.

Stacey

• Stubble
    • Bottling Moonlight
« Reply #52 on: May 31, 2014, 02:27:43 PM »
Okay, this may or may not be a hack, but it has helped me tremendously lately. . . I use the products that had previously been sent to the product graveyard of my bathroom closet.  So many times, I have been wooed by a product ad or recommendation, and I've purchased the product. That leaves me putting away the half-used bottles or jars of whatever I was already using.   

So lately, when I run out of something, I go to the closet and resurrect whatever was sent there to begin with. I'm currently back to using a moisturizer that I put away at least two years ago, and some leave in conditioner that is even older.

Of course, if it no longer works, or gives me crappy results, I toss it, but that rarely happens.

Yes!  I've been doing this, too.  As someone else mentioned, I'm doing it to move towards using homemade or more natural products.  But the side benefit of using everything up has been that it has made me that much more determined to not buy junk.  If it's terrible, I'll get rid of it, but if it's only "eh", then I use it and feel that much more resolved to pursue a less consumeristic path.

Lyssa

• Bristles
« Reply #53 on: June 13, 2014, 05:44:37 AM »

- For every super exclusive overpriced cosmetic there's a drugstore version that works just as well.

Mostly true. My biggest make-up expense is my overpriced foundation which is the only one I've found that doesn't make my very fair skin look completely ridiculous. Fortunately, there are drugstore transparant powders!

Other than said foundation I'm very frugal reg beauty products.

- very long straight hair, cut approximately every 6-9 months (usually, hardly anybody notices) for around 25 EUR
- drugstore shampoo plus conditioner every 4-5 days (can't count the times I've been asked: how come your hair looks so healthy, what do you do? Answer: It's what you don't do. Do not color and do not shampoo daily and you'll be fine)
- "do" my own nails, usually without polish
- make-up: foundation and powder (see above) plus mascara. I'd love not to use it regularly but I need to given my occoupation (law firm)
- sunscreen is a necessity for me in summer. Fair skin and all.
- soap: usually bars from hotels where I or my SO stayed during business travel.
- hair removal: very simple razor blades/cardridges (not sure what the right term is), Gilette G II (no, I won't pay you double just for coloring the plastic pink)
« Last Edit: June 13, 2014, 05:46:18 AM by Lyssa »

smalllife

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #54 on: June 13, 2014, 07:15:03 AM »
I had tried the baking soda/apple cider vinegar thing before to no avail.  However, I'm two weeks into using a regular (organic, bought in bulk) shampoo with a diluted apple cider vinegar rinse instead of conditioner.  My hair loves it! 

I'm also doing dry brushing and I can feel the toxins working their way through my body.  No chemicals, even better :-)

fallstoclimb

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #55 on: June 13, 2014, 09:27:35 AM »
I use the baking soda wash /acv rinse, and was having huge success with it until recently I started to get a build up -- I think due to overdiluted baking soda combined with increased sweating from biking in the hot weather.  Last night I tried washing with a diluted egg yolk, and while I have never felt like a bigger hippie, my hair looks AWESOME today.

Unfortunately, the bathroom smelled eggy for a solid 12 hours. 

galaxie

• Bristles
« Reply #56 on: June 13, 2014, 12:52:59 PM »
  • I don't wear much makeup, so I try to buy things that last a long time (powders) if at all possible.  Then I use free samples of the stuff that you're supposed to replace more often (like mascara).
  • Posture!  I have been doing physical therapy lately for a back issue, and my PT told me that I stand wrong.  Now that I have learned how to stand right, I look super hot.  It is shocking.
  • I wash my face with... a wash cloth.
  • I do admit that I get expensive haircuts, though.  My hair is short and hipster-y.

Lian

• Stubble
« Reply #57 on: June 14, 2014, 09:47:48 PM »
What do you guys use to wash your face on a daily basis?  (Not a once weekly scrub).  It literally just occurred to me right this minute that I can probably stop buying special 'fash wash' (marketing) and just use, like, normal body wash or other soap?  Am I incorrect?  I guess if you need the sacilyc acid to prevent breakouts that would be a reason to use dedicated face wash, but thanks to birth control I don't have an issue with that really.

I used to use a whole array of liquid cleansers - facial wash, body wash. I wanted to simplify the routine and stop purchasing the plastic bottles. After trying a variety of soaps, I found what works best for me is an olive oil soap. It has only a few simple ingredients, cleans well, doesn't irritate my sensitive skin, and a bar lasts much longer than the cheaper soaps.

Andiham

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #58 on: September 22, 2014, 06:02:00 PM »
Went this weekend to the Aveda Institute (a national beauty school here in the US) and got my haircut by a friend who is enrolled in their program. I received a scalp massage, wash, cut, style, and a "finishing touch" (in which they let you try on some of their lip gloss) for $10. Yep, $10. It took approximately 3 hours (my hair was also really long, and the haircut I got was a big change, so needed lots of work), but a haircut at an Ulta salon (where I have gone previously) is about $50 for 1.5-2 hours, so therefore, I feel like I "made" $40/hr with the experience. I didn't buy the lip gloss that they tried to sell me (it was * $18 *), but I now know my ideal shade, so I can try to find some in a similar color somewhere cheaper. :)  I will likely go back to Aveda, even after my friend graduates. They have instructors walking the floor, so they help out the students as needed, therefore, you won't leave looking awful or with a messed up haircut. Try it!

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #59 on: September 22, 2014, 08:11:58 PM »
I ran out of special face soap and have been washing my face with regular (castille) bar soap. So far... it still looks like my face. Apparently there is not actually a low that you can't wash your face and the rest of your person with the same soap.

BurquenaAbroad

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #60 on: September 22, 2014, 10:13:40 PM »
Nails: My favorite nail solution is baby-sized nail clippers. The tiny size gives me much more maneuverability to shape my tiny-person finger- and toenails into a nice round, attractive shape. They're also excellent for getting into the crevices for hangnails. It's a buy-it-for-life item, unlike emery boards which always wear out.

Hair: +1 to baking soda + apple cider vinegar hair wash. I started using this after hiking ultralight for 17 days, and I no longer have any dandruff. Yay! I actually need to wash my hair a bit more than I used to with shampoo (every other day instead of every third or fourth day), which I find annoying, but it's probably better for me anyway.

Face: I've been using Noxzema cold cream for facial cleanser since I hit puberty, but I've almost emptied my last tub. Does anyone have any more natural alternatives? I really like the cold-clean feeling, and being able to use it as part of my shower routine.

Theadyn

• Stubble
« Reply #61 on: September 23, 2014, 04:56:11 AM »
I've always just used soap and water on my face, bar soap, same soap I use all over.  Wet washcloth in small circles to exfoliate face, I scrub the crap outta my skin otherwise to get dead skin cells off that are dulling.  Store brand oil of olay type moisturizer with spf after shower.  People still don't think I'm as old as I am.

Shaving, I just scrub the crap outta my legs or pits and shave with water.  Some cheapo conditioner sometimes to shave if the mood strikes me.

Hair, the best shape it's ever been in since I quit obsessively washing it.  Now I wash it about once a week.  Seriously.  Always smells great and only might start to look wilted by day 6 or 7.  Will do a coconut oil deep treatment once or twice a year.  An apple cider rinse every other month or so.  Don't put heat to it much, maybe blow dry it a few times a year.  Otherwise, I let the shoulder length loose curls do as they want and they are so much happier doing their own thing over me forcing it into a style that's not meant to be.

I've been detoxing the pits of the horrid chemicals in today's anti-p/deo.  Been trying a few things, but so far what's been working good is apple cider vinegar, sometimes a bit of baking soda or corn starch if the sweaty feeling gets to me. 

Really trying to pair down my makeup.  Aiming to find the right low ingredient tinted moisturizer, multi purpose lip and cheek color, and mascara.  A weird hack I've found for myself recently is I've been giving my eyes a break from continued contact use, so instead I've been wearing some funky librarian looking reading glasses I picked up all WallyWorld for $6.  I feel like I don't need much makeup to look put together with the glasses.   Just throw them on and add some lip color and done.

YK-Phil

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #62 on: September 23, 2014, 10:36:36 AM »
I have have good genes, and I am simply ruggedly handsome without the use of anything but water and apple cider vinegar. As a gesture of good will, I will share my awesome genes with equally pretty mustachian females. I can travel but since I am mustachian, you will have to pay all my expenses :D
« Last Edit: September 23, 2014, 02:46:38 PM by ykphil »

JPinDC

• Stubble
« Reply #63 on: September 23, 2014, 10:51:15 AM »
I use honey! I smear it on my face right before I hop in the shower, then rinse it off. I break out drastically less now.

I've never heard of that, but my face has been breaking out recently, and I always have honey at home. Worth a shot, thanks!

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #64 on: September 23, 2014, 12:26:34 PM »
ykphil, you are too much--watch out, the moderators will get you.  : D

YK-Phil

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #65 on: September 23, 2014, 12:53:52 PM »
ykphil, you are too much--watch out, the moderators will get you.  : D

...ok, I should add that I also use honey and occasionally coconut oil, the kind that melts if rubbed vigourously with expert hands...I will bring those with me, free of charge...LOL

Quark

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #66 on: September 23, 2014, 12:53:56 PM »
Check out Cosmetics Database for the ratings on whatever you use.

MrsK

• Stubble
« Reply #67 on: September 23, 2014, 02:26:00 PM »
Not really a beauty hack, but I am French so I am going to be the first to bring up my esthetician.  :)  I spend very little on clothes, but when I do they are very high quality and last forever.  In fact, I wear many of my grandmother's clothes as she had the same philosophy.  I feel the same about my skin care and I love my monthly facials and feel that for me, it is money very well spent.  As I approach 50 I have added a weekly massage on Friday afternoon.  In my small town there are two people who give massage and so I take turns to make sure I support them both. 

My other "aging gracefully" hacks would be to drink herbal tea with lemon every day, lots of sleep and to not complain (always unattractive, no?)

I love this forum as so many people have very thoughtful ideas about how to live a beautiful life with intention. 

CheapskateWife

• Handlebar Stache
  • Location: Hill Country, TX - Being a blueberry in the Tomato Soup
  • FIRE'd and Loving it!
« Reply #68 on: September 23, 2014, 02:33:12 PM »
Got some new ones!

Baking soda and lemon juice for a once a week facial scrub (so shiny and fresh)
BB cream and mascara for makeup...that's it.
Activated charcoal to boost tooth whitening (I drink loads of coffee and the stains come right off!)

And most importantly, smile!  Happy is pretty!

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #69 on: September 23, 2014, 02:39:47 PM »
my wife uses her beautiful face and smile.

CheapskateWife

• Handlebar Stache
  • Location: Hill Country, TX - Being a blueberry in the Tomato Soup
  • FIRE'd and Loving it!
« Reply #70 on: September 23, 2014, 02:47:59 PM »
my wife uses her beautiful face and smile.

Awwww....

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #71 on: September 24, 2014, 04:22:49 AM »
I use a few drops of sweet almond oil and a cheap vitamin E scrub for my face and have minimal makeup.

I am getting a haircut today (at home for £20 for both me and hubbie with a tip) and I only have this done about three times a year. I used to get my hair cut monthly for some unknown reason.

I put sea salt and a couple drops of essential oil in the bath at night and it softens my skin and it helps me sleep better.:)

lotigo

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #72 on: September 24, 2014, 08:15:32 AM »
I make dry shampoo from corn starch, a little baking soda, and a few sprinkles of cinnamon.  Smells great and kills the greasies, so I don't have to wash my hair every day.  Also make homemade lotion with shea butter, coconut oil, and a few drops of jasmine oil.  Smells great and is super moisturizing!  Found Dorco razors thanks to this site, and they work great for so much less than what I used to pay for Venus razors... still makes me cringe thinking about it.

Emilyngh

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #73 on: September 24, 2014, 08:20:29 AM »
I make dry shampoo from corn starch, a little baking soda, and a few sprinkles of cinnamon.

Oh yeah, I use this too (minus the cinnamon).   To put it on I pull my hair back (exposes the greasier part of my scalp), use an old cleaned makeup brush to really work it in, let it sit 15-20 minutes, then take down my hair and brush it out well.   Works well to get you through one more day without a shower.

eae550

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #74 on: September 24, 2014, 11:43:09 AM »
A few posters asked about face wash- i buy the two pack of cetaphil cleanser at costco and use a tiny amount every night- each bottle lasts me for over a year.

I use dove soap (also bought in bulk at costco) on my body and keep my skin really soft by only using soap in the important places (armpits and pelvic area!)- dermatologist approved! Water is just fine for the rest of the body unless you are mud wrestling or something.

Semi-regular body brushing along with the no soap means i need a lot less lotion.

Coconut oil is great for hair mask, dandruff

if you have an aveda institute near you they are great for inexpensive salon & spa services

amberfocus

• Stubble
  • Hell hath no fury like a Mustachian with FU money
« Reply #75 on: September 25, 2014, 12:42:27 AM »
Um, my cat loves to lick my damp face after every shower, so it's like a free exfoliating scrub. Does that count? :)

Of course, YCMV (your cat may vary).

This also reminds me of the time I got super dolled up by a cosmetologist for my best friend's wedding (I was maid of honor), and the very first comment out of the SO's mouth upon seeing me was, "Is your face flammable?" When your guy doesn't notice your fake eyelashes, he's not gonna notice anything.

I do enjoy browsing YouTube for hairstyling tutorials, though. I've always wanted to learn how to french/dutch braid my own hair, because I think it looks neat. Just have to find the time. Maybe after FIRE...

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #76 on: September 25, 2014, 10:50:39 AM »
Keep meaning to post that Dollar General's "Gentle Skin Cleanser" seems identical to Cetaphil, and DG's "Anti-Aging Sculpting Cream" seems identical to the "Micro-sculpting Cream" that Olay (?I think it's Olay) sells in the red jar. Both are very good products, and while I can't remember the DG prices, they were eye-wateringly cheaper.

A couple tips on French braiding. It is easier if your hair isn't totally clean, and also it works better if you don't think about it too much. Practice kind of mindlessly while you are sitting in front of the TV. I think the easiest way to get started is to stand behind a friend who is French braiding their hair, and just do the same thing with your hands…just copy her. That's how I learned to French braid from a co-worker.

angelagrace

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #77 on: September 25, 2014, 10:59:28 AM »
I have gone mostly all-natural with my products, partially because I want to get rid of toxins in my life, and also because my skin started having bad reactions, so I was forced to. So, here's what I do :)

1) I use Bare Minerals foundation (It lasts me a long time because I use it sparingly), but I make my own "mineral veil" out of plain old cornstarch and a pinch of cocoa powder! It works better than the real thing!

2) I tried using baking soda/vinegar to wash my hair (no-poo), but I started getting bad dandruff. Didn't work for me unfortunately. So, I switched back to Trader Joe's Moisturizing shampoo and conditioner. They are only like $3 a bottle, are natural with no harsh chemicals or SLS, and smell great!! I love this shampoo and conditioner.

3) I also use Trader Joe's face wash, bar soap (cheap and natural once again), and hand soap. I use their bar soap as "shaving cream" and it works fine. My razors still last a long time. I've always broken the rules and used soap. :)

4) Every year right after the holidays (Jan-Feb), I go on the Burts Bees website and buy 1-2 of their "grab bags", which usually have full sized lotions, and tons of cool stuff, for way cheap. I usually spend $15 on the bag, and it has 5 full sized products and a few samples. It's a great price for Burts Bees, and they are one of the only lotions I can use that smells good.

5) Coconut oil! Oil pulling for teeth whitening (even though I find it mildly disgusting), coconut oil as a deep moisturizer, and a tiny bit as a hair product.

6) I'm going to try boiling flax seeds to make hair gel. I've read about it online and it sounds great for when I wear my hair wavy!

As for everything, only use what you need and the bottle suddenly becomes twice as big as people that use a "full pump", etc! You save a lot that way.

I don't use heat on my hair much (maybe once every 2 weeks) and I hardly have damage in 6 months. Makes the haircuts go a lot longer.

Also, I heard you can spray rubbing alcohol on your older powders and eye shadows, and it will sanitize them. Just let them dry for a few hours and they are good as new.

angelagrace

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #78 on: September 25, 2014, 11:04:00 AM »
Confession- I used to be addicted to Sephora.  After ALL of the products I've tried and money wasted,  I've discovered the following works best for me:- Drink water
- Cetaphil for daily face wash
- Face mask when I'm feeling fancy: plain yogurt, baking soda, dash of lemon juice.
- For every super exclusive overpriced cosmetic there's a drugstore version that works just as well.

- Sunscreen!

- Smile! I like smiling, smiling's my favorite.

For the record, my addiction has now shifted to lip balm. Any easy homemade recipes out there? Preferably ones where I don't have to break out the candy thermometer? Not interested in going all "breaking bad" for lip balm.

Traditional sunscreen with all the chemicals is very bad for you, enters your bloodstream, and there's a lot of evidence that it causes more skin cancer than it prevents. It's best to use the natural kind, or just don't stay out long enough to get burnt. A little vitamin D is good for you.

mrsggrowsveg

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #79 on: September 25, 2014, 02:34:30 PM »
I have some new hacks I have been trying.  Now one is a little out there...lard.  I rendered lard in the crockpot and have been putting a bit on my face before bed.  My skin looks much more vibrant.  It has also been helpful for my husband's skin condition.  Another thing I like to do is youtube hair tutorials.  I have semi long hair and have learned all sorts of braids and sophisticated updos.  These also look great on slightly dirty hair.  I always get compliments on my hair.

MarciaB

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #80 on: September 25, 2014, 02:47:29 PM »
My fave is cold cream that is massaged into the skin. Then a wash cloth rinsed in hot water goes next to remove the cold cream while also scrubbing/exfoliating the skin. Feels good, cleans the skin well, and leaves a nice tingly glow.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #81 on: September 25, 2014, 07:24:40 PM »
I decided to donate my hair to Locks of Love before I got too gray to do so. I wore long hair for five years, so I only paid for one haircut during that time. I then decided I wanted a chopped bob look. I asked everyone I saw with that hairstyle. Finally one of the librarians (of course!) where I volunteer recommended a place that costs only $13.00. Love it!

To the people who made nasty comments: This is not a "How do I make myself look like Barbie?" thread. The OP is asking a legitimate, if somewhat awkwardly worded question. Further, I don't care what you look like, but I do care what I look like. I don't wear make up or fancy clothes that need dry cleaning, but dammit, I feel better when I look nice and my husband loves it too. To each his/her own, but your ugly remarks are unnecessary and add nothing to the discussion.

tracylayton

« Reply #82 on: September 28, 2014, 03:24:29 PM »
I occasionally make an exfoliating  scrub using 1 Tbsp of olive oil and 1 Tbsp of coffee grounds. I only wear makeup once or twice a week, so people aren't surprised when they see me without.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #83 on: September 28, 2014, 06:34:26 PM »
I also look younger than my age, but that is more good genes, and not getting sunburned when I was younger.

I use bar soap - honey glycerin - for face, body, and as a shave cream.

Lubriderm for a moisturizer.

French braid - try an inverted french braid (there are lots of pictures if you google this)- just braid in reverse and the braid sits on top of your head instead of the strands folding into the braid.  I saw that first on a flight attendant and she told me how to do it - very elegant.  I French braided my niece's hair for her first communion - great look for not a lot of effort.  You just need strong arms to braid your own.

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #84 on: September 28, 2014, 07:16:05 PM »
Ah, french braids!  Practice!  Take your time, and don't try to weave huge hunks of hair at once, but just take a bit each time, same amount each time.  Drag your fingernail across your scalp to make sure you're getting everything in that "row".  Back up and undo if you realize some hair is sticking out.

When I did kayaking in college over my spring breaks, I needed my long hair pulled back but putting it in the usual pony tail under the helmet gave me a headache so I started to french braid it instead while we were driving to each river.  It didn't need to look pretty, just stay there, so I got quite a bit of practice in.  (Also used to wear it under my marching band hat in high school, but my friend braided it for me then.)  I haven't done this in years.  I'll have to try when my hair grows out a bit longer.

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
  • Lovin' the Mustachian life!
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #85 on: September 28, 2014, 07:21:56 PM »
My favourite facial moisturizer in the world is this one: http://www.makeupalley.com/product/showreview.asp/ItemId=66502/Complex-15-mositurizing-lotion/Unlisted-Brand/Lotions/-Creams

Complex 15. I buy mine at shoppers drug mart or superstore in Canada for about $10. It is AMAZING! It is so lightweight, and life hack: you can use Unscented moisturizers to take off your makeup. Yay! It saved my skin.

Love this thread! Thanks, OP!

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
  • Lovin' the Mustachian life!
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #86 on: September 28, 2014, 07:24:38 PM »
Oh, also: sign up for a sephora membership card. Every year on your bday you get a free no-strings-attached (other than potential addiction to their product) bday gift! One year I got a mascara that I'm still using :)

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #87 on: September 28, 2014, 07:28:48 PM »
These days, thankfully I don't need much to make myself "pretty". That's not a vain comment, I hope. It's just that I used to have a really bad skin condition that got cleared up with holistic medicine, exercise, avoiding processed foods and eating a lot of fruits and veggies (the kind I'm not allergic to - removed those), and buying a water softener (my skin issues had returned and my holistic doctor finally figured out it was something in my water supply causing the itchiness and rashes). I used to have to over-moisturize multiple times a day and would be embarassed about my skin issues and would try to cover it up. So these days, I am very happy and grateful for my cleared up skin.

I occasionally get some minor little rash when I start eating incorrectly. Like my office just had a free snacks day and I ate the some of them and then regretted it later as I got a little burning rash on my face and hands that went away after a day (must have been the chemicals they added to this unnatural popcorn). I must be a super-sensitive person as I see the effects of bad eating or bad water on my skin immediately.

So usually I just shower with regular soap, don't even use moisturizing cream, got a new hairstyle that requires no mousse or hair-dryer. It's really quite wonderful and low maintenance.

I won the genetic lottery too as my grandparents and parents didn't seem to show their age as much. I am 45 years old and still haven't had to color my hair (just a few sporadic grays).

I am deathly afraid of using "products" as I have these allergies to deal with. So I try to go as natural as possible. I found cleaning up my diet and holistic medicine was my best beauty routine. I use a little makeup when going to the office.

Melody

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #88 on: September 28, 2014, 07:38:15 PM »
Moisturise every day. Might not make you pretty now, but will have a huge impact when you are olded. I just buy cheap lotion that is dermatologically tested ($25 a litre which lasts over a year). I do wear foundation, but I use a natural mineral foundation and blush. It's not cheap but they do have specialsand it lasts along time. $70 will get me enough for a year. I use a basic eyeliner pencil and sometimes a lipstick for going out. It all fits in a quart size baggy with room to spare. So I guess, just buy a few good quality items (on special) that suit your life and you are sweet :)

justajane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #89 on: September 28, 2014, 07:52:02 PM »
Am I the only one who doesn't wash her face everyday? I only shower every other day, and I just wash my face with my bar soap in the shower. My skin looks fine.

I have, however, noticed that as I get older (I'm 37) that my facial skin craves more moisturizer. For this reason, I sometimes put some lubriderm (or whatever I bought in bulk at Costco) lotion on my face before bed. But I don't wash it then either. Do we modern individuals really get so dirty that we need to wash our face every night before bed?

Recently I lost my lip balm by my bed and in a fit of desperation used some of my lanolin nipple cream that I have for breastfeeding. Um, that works wonders on dry lips! I haven't had any problems since, and it is so thick that one tube would probably last you years.

Last question: is it really true that moisturizer will make you look younger as you age? I always thought that was a wife's tale, like swearing by cold cream when in reality it was probably avoidance of the sun or genes that made someone look better than someone else in their old age.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2014, 07:54:04 PM by justajane »

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #90 on: September 28, 2014, 11:35:35 PM »
1. Eat a healthy diet - ample healthy fats, vegetables, fruits, and nutrients, minimal processed stuff and restaurant food/fast food. Drink lots of water. Get ample sleep. Keep stress levels down. Work up a sweat regularly. All of these things show up in your skin.

2. Wash your hair as little as you can get away with without getting super greasy. For me this is about once a week.

3. Figure out what colors and styles suit your skin tone and body. Also what hairstyles suit your face shape. This honestly will compensate for screwing up everything else more often than not.

4. Keep your nails trimmed and neat, and skip fancy polish jobs. Maybe some clear nail polish or buffing, but otherwise it looks just as good as the expensive one.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #91 on: September 29, 2014, 05:06:24 AM »
I think faces and hands need washing more often because they are "out there in the open", so to speak.  Plus it is important to get makeup off at night if you wear it.

I find the amount of moisturizer I need has changed with age (skin and scalp are dryer now, which means I also wash my hair less often) and weather.  When it is hot and muggy out I do not need moisturizer.  Winter (dry dry air) I need it more than usual.  Go with how your skin feels.  I used some fancy stuff for a while (gift from my sister) and my skin did not look or feel any different than when I used Lubriderm.  I have found Paula Begoun's recommendations about products to be sensible.

Am I the only one who doesn't wash her face everyday? I only shower every other day, and I just wash my face with my bar soap in the shower. My skin looks fine.

I have, however, noticed that as I get older (I'm 37) that my facial skin craves more moisturizer. For this reason, I sometimes put some lubriderm (or whatever I bought in bulk at Costco) lotion on my face before bed. But I don't wash it then either. Do we modern individuals really get so dirty that we need to wash our face every night before bed?

Last question: is it really true that moisturizer will make you look younger as you age? I always thought that was a wife's tale, like swearing by cold cream when in reality it was probably avoidance of the sun or genes that made someone look better than someone else in their old age.

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #92 on: September 29, 2014, 07:30:05 PM »

Recently I lost my lip balm by my bed and in a fit of desperation used some of my lanolin nipple cream that I have for breastfeeding. Um, that works wonders on dry lips! I haven't had any problems since, and it is so thick that one tube would probably last you years.

In my experience, moisturizer just helps make your skin feel better when it is dry, but it does not solve the dry problem. I spent most of my life with dry skin and really bad body-wide eczema, but it wasn't until I conquered that with diet and holistic medicine that the dryness went away. My skin is so much better now at 45 than when I was young. I looked older in my early 30s than I do now because I no longer have dry skin.

Whenever I slip up on my diet or something and get some dry patches on my face, my mom nags me to put cream on. But I know the only way to really solve it is through my other methods.

Trust me, I used to have to moisturize several times during the night because my skin was so itchy and dry, and these days I don't use moisturizer at all. I wouldn't have believed it years ago. I suffered over 30 years with very dry skin.

Your skin is a reflection of your interior health. Once dryness or rashes appear on your skin it's because it's your body's attempt to warn you that there is something wrong.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2014, 07:31:50 PM by Daisy »

starburst

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #93 on: September 30, 2014, 11:46:58 AM »
My first post!  Not sure this is a beauty hack as opposed to a cost saver - to remove body hair, I use an epilator.  I've gone 25 years without buying a razor or shaving gel.  I can go a week and a half before hair starts growing back in! 

fallstoclimb

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #94 on: September 30, 2014, 01:05:08 PM »
Tell me more about this epilator.

starburst

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #95 on: September 30, 2014, 01:46:09 PM »
Tell me more about this epilator.

It's a device that physically pulls out hair at the root.  It was painful the first few times I used it, but I quickly built up a tolerance level to the point where I just feel the tug of each hair, no pain.  Seriously.  I do my armpits too.  I never see stubble, but I do get ingrown hairs every so often.  The trick is not to wait too long til the next use.  When you use it on very short hairs, they pull out easier.

fallstoclimb

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #96 on: September 30, 2014, 01:47:15 PM »
This sounds super time consuming.  Do you do it in the shower?  What about your legs?  Are you less prone to ingrown hairs with it?

justajane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #97 on: September 30, 2014, 01:58:13 PM »
I think I tried an epilator once and found it way too painful. You much have a high pain threshold!

In general, hair bothers me less than pain does, which means that I don't wax, get laser treatments, or other methods that hurt. Shaving is annoying, though.

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #98 on: September 30, 2014, 02:43:27 PM »
Could a guy use an epilator for his facial hair?

Bob W

• Magnum Stache
  • Live on minimum wage, earn on maximum
« Reply #99 on: September 30, 2014, 03:18:29 PM »
1.  Don't associate with people likely to judge you based on your appearance.
2.  Don't give a fuck.

This is my favorite beauty hack.

I wear the same five or so shirts and three pairs of pants to work each week. Same pair of boots every day.

I bathe daily, but haven't shaved anything in a year and a half. And yes, I still wear shorts, skirts, and sleeveless shirts (but not at work!).

No make-up. Naturally radiant!

But hmm... I have used used coffee grounds as an exfoliant before. Then I dumped them outside to help the soil grow more lovely weeds.

Umm?  Why would you waist money on coffee?