Author Topic: "Pretty" Mustachians, share your beauty hacks  (Read 92436 times)

TheCatWhisperer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
"Pretty" Mustachians, share your beauty hacks
« on: May 19, 2014, 05:44:55 PM »
For all you lady Mustachians, do you have any beauty hacks that you would recommend?

I'll go first!
1. Using aspirin twice a week to exfoliate. I moisten about 7-8 tabs in the shower and work into my skin. Then I let it sit for about 3 minutes before washing it off. It's a mild acid so it seems to really brighten my complexion. My skin is oily so use with caution for sensitive skin.
2. Best homemade shaving gel is a mix of olive oil and aloe. I tend to add more aloe than oil because of my skin, but you can tweat the ratio to work best for your skin type.
3. Coconut oil can be used for everything. Especially deep conditioner, lip balm, eye cream. Love this stuff.

What are your favorites?

Emilyngh

• Pencil Stache
Re: "Pretty" Mustachians, share your beauty hacks
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2014, 06:00:58 PM »
1.   Use baking soda in water instead of shampoo (there's some adjustment time and anyone interested should read about no-poo)
2. Use vinegar in water to condition hair and as smoothing spray
3.   Oil wash face for moisturizer and cleaning
4. use oil on legs after shaving instead of lotion
5. use salt scrub for exfoliating (or can use sugar)
6. use sunscreen on face everyday instead of retinol-A or age creams
7.  make my own lip balm and hand balm from oil and bees wax
8. use lemon juice in hair in sun to lighten (am naturally dark yellow blonde)
9. use natural sweater stone on pills and reusable lint brush on pet hair/lint to keep clothes in in good shape and tidy
10. keep a limited wardrobe of only items that really fit and look good and donate the rest (get most from thrift store)

mrsggrowsveg

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2014, 07:32:30 AM »
1.  Curl my hair overnight with socks for easy getting ready and no electricity
2.  Make homemade sugar wax
3.  Homemade whipped body butter as lotion
4.  Haircuts by my husband
5.  Homemade sea salt hair spray for beach waves with a little chamomile and lemon to lighten my blonde hair

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2014, 07:35:41 AM »
1.  Don't associate with people likely to judge you based on your appearance.
2.  Don't give a fuck.

nikki

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2014, 07:41:01 AM »
2.  Don't give a fuck.

This is my favorite beauty hack.

I wear the same five or so shirts and three pairs of pants to work each week. Same pair of boots every day.

I bathe daily, but haven't shaved anything in a year and a half. And yes, I still wear shorts, skirts, and sleeveless shirts (but not at work!).

No make-up. Naturally radiant!

But hmm... I have used used coffee grounds as an exfoliant before. Then I dumped them outside to help the soil grow more lovely weeds.

smalllife

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2014, 07:43:42 AM »
1. Make my own lotion/beeswax moisturizers
2. Don't wear much make-up - mascara and under eye powder is more than enough
3. Change your diet to see if there are any triggers to bad skin (too much wheat for me = dark under eyes)
4. Drink lots of water
5. Shave with regular soap (locally made, doesn't work as well with the cheapo chemical stuff)
6. Double edge safety razor
7. Cut my own hair, no hair dye
8. Baking soda as a face scrub, similar to the aspirin since it is slightly acidic, exfoliates and rebalances pH. 
9. Make my own bath salts
10. Used to make my own deodorant but got lazy .  . . .

starbuck

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2014, 09:13:02 AM »
Ooh, thanks for the shaving gel recipe. I usually use soap, but something more moisturizing would be nice. I'm always wondering what to do with that random bottle of aloe in my bathroom.

As for the basics, I work out regularly, get plenty of sleep (no kids yet!), take care of my teeth, and keep a sunny disposition. Seems to be working well for me so far.

My skin is always dry, especially in the winter, and from spending my days in an air-conditioned office building. Erica at NW edible had a great post on dry brushing. I had never heard of it before - any opinions?

I never would have considered cutting my own hair before hanging out on this forum. I've used the ponytail method a couple of times, and I think I'm ready to do a more pro haircut in a few weeks. There are seriously some great tutorials on youtube. No poo was definitely not working for me, but I just use el cheapo V05 instead. Regular trims, washing every few days max, and limiting heat styling is my hair care recipe.

I usually wear eye makeup for work, but not much else. It's not necessary in my office. I have uneven skin tones, so I occasionally use a tinted BB cream to even things out. I have green eyes, so I gravitate towards wearing colors that make my eye color stand out - dark greens and purples. Same thing for eye shadows.

For the menfolk, I've made my husband a copycat Art of Shaving preshave oil, and a couple of different aftershaves.

socaso

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2014, 11:36:55 AM »
I use inexpensive hair conditioner to shave my legs. I can get a bottle of Suave for 99 cents and often I can get a coupon to make it cheaper. Lasts a long time and more moisturizing. I put it in a old pump bottle to dispense.

I've been doing the DIY oil cleanser method for a couple of years now and I love it. Once a week I turn it into a scrub by adding a little cornmeal to the cleanser.

This is not a beauty tip but it has helped me a lot. Every week I pick out all my work clothes for the week and hang the outfits on a single hanger along with the accessories I plan to wear with the outfit. It takes less than 30 minutes of prep time to be ready for the week and it saves me a lot of time in the morning. It has also contributed to me purging unused clothes from my closet because I could really see what things I was reaching for time and again.

I think just finding the level of dolled up that makes you feel happy with yourself but not overburdened with the upkeep is pretty valuable. Caring about how you look is only a problem when you have to spend thousands upon thousands to get to a place that makes you happy.

hybrid

• Handlebar Stache
  • A hybrid of MMM and thoughtful consumer.
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2014, 12:32:20 PM »
1. Stay in shape.
2. Don't get out of shape.
3. If you are out of shape, get back into shape.
4. If you're a guy, feel lucky that most women aren't as shallow as we are. Your personality and physique can make up for less than perfectly symmetrical features.
5. If you're a lady, sorry we are so shallow.

While Guitarstv has a point, in real life attractiveness can matter. Up to a point.

golden1

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2014, 12:39:05 PM »
1. Stay in shape.
2. Don't get out of shape.
3. If you are out of shape, get back into shape.
4. If you're a guy, feel lucky that most women aren't as shallow as we are. Your personality and physique can make up for less than perfectly symmetrical features.
5. If you're a lady, sorry we are so shallow.

100% yes.  A good diet and some exercise does wonders for your appearance.  I see a lot of women who put a lot of time and money into expensive clothes and highlights for their hair when if they just walked or ran outside, they would get those highlights and fit into their existing clothes better. 

marz1982

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2014, 02:48:57 AM »
1. Don't bother with expensive face cream/anti-wrinkle, just get the cheapest bottle of hand lotion with SPF you can find that you like and feels nice on your skin, and use it on your face.

2. Cut your own hair using the pony tail method (for medium to long hair length).  About once a year I get my hair cut short at the local hairdresser, let it grow out, and then cut it once or twice using this method.  Saves a bit of money, but doesn't look quite as professional as the professional cut ;)   Wouldn't trust the hubby with scissors!

3. I don't bother with make-up, too much hassle.  *Shrug*  Wearing make-up religiously as a teenager/young adult never got me dates or boyfriends.  Gaining more self-confidence, being myself and learning to laugh and not over-analyse everything helped a lot more.  That said, I am lucky to have fairly good complexion.

I wish I could feel the same about the grey hairs :(

merula

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2014, 04:17:03 AM »
I have a few friends who will give me the beauty products they bought but didn't like. It keeps the stuff out of a landfill, and I've learned firsthand that there really is very little difference between the cheap stuff and the stupid expensive stuff.

Homemade products are great. Sugar wax, cornstarch dry shampoo and oil as lotion are the ones I use.

Clothing swap parties are a lot of fun. Everyone cleans out their closet and brings things they don't wear and you bring home what you want. This can be extended to accessories and beauty products, too. Make it a potluck for even more fun.

I read a book about the history of thrift that cited a 19th century homemaker's guide as recommending earwax as lip balm, but I haven't been able to bring myself to try it.

fallstoclimb

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2014, 08:48:39 AM »
I've been shaving with coconut oil.  It does get the razor blades a little gunky and probably shorten their lifespan but I really appreciate having fewer products doing more jobs.  I also wash my hair with diluted baking soda once or twice a week and use diluted apple cider vinegar as conditioner.

I've been wondering if there's an easy, green body wash to be made, but not enough to actually....google it. 

CheapskateWife

• Handlebar Stache
  • Location: Hill Country, TX - Being a blueberry in the Tomato Soup
  • FIRE'd and Loving it!
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2014, 09:10:31 AM »
Baking soda and lemon juice make a marvelous and bubbly face scrub once a week (but keep those eyes slammed shut...ouchie!)

Skip expensive manicures and keep the nails trimmed short but keep a clear coat on most of the time for shininess (probably more of a function of having to be in uniform than preference)

Apple cider vinegar rinse for product buildup in the hair (again, military)

Loads of SPF

A genuine smile is the best way to brighten your face!

Meggslynn

• Bristles
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2014, 01:05:49 PM »

I didn't read through so some of these may have been posted already.
I often get complimented on my skin and these are "tips" I share.

1. Coconut oil with a drop of tea tree and/or lavender oil as moisturizer at bed time
2. I visit at hair stylist who works from home therefore and charges 50% of salons. I tried the at home cuts and with my thick wave hair they looked horrible.
3. Sunscreen every day even in the winter. Never ever fake tan ... which is big here.
4. St.Ives apricot scrub 2-3 times a week on my face in the shower. This stuff is about $2-3 with a coupon which are easy to find and they last me 3-4 months.
5. Primrose oil supplements. Again about $10 a bottle and last probably about 6 months.
6. Oh and most importantly good nutrition (clean eating) and exercise :)

« Last Edit: May 21, 2014, 01:26:34 PM by Meggslynn »

payitoff

« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2014, 02:34:54 PM »
blackhead remover:

Knox gelatin and oil absorbing face paper (the non shiny one)

i melt the gelatin and apply it around my nose, cover with the face paper, wait for it to dry and peel off.

Emilyngh

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2014, 05:42:46 PM »

I've been wondering if there's an easy, green body wash to be made, but not enough to actually....google it.

I use Dr Bronner's diluted (maybe 5:1 water to soap) in an old foaming hand soap dispenser.

Latwell

• Stubble
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2014, 07:16:08 PM »
Unfortunately, I don't wear make up or do my hair, so right off the bat I'm saving a ton of money.

However, I do have long hair and HATE HATE HATE hair dressers. Every time I go, I have the same thing done.. cut off a few inches and then layer it. But every time, the layers are awful so I avoided going to get my hair cut. This then resulted in tons of tangles, dead ends, and a static mess in the window.

I've read quite a few times where the men have shared stories about cutting their own hair. There are some women here who also do the same, but have offered methods that make me very nervous (bunch hair into ponytail after brushing hair forward and then cut to get layers).

Here's my solution though:
Crea Clip. This thing is amazing. I've had it for a few year now. Works great for ladies who want to cut their daughter's hair or their own.. works best for us ladies who have longer hair.
I paid roughly $30 for the clip, used it a zillion times and every time I use it, I save myself $40 by not going to a hair dresser who usually screws my hair up.

The only time I pay to have my hair cut is when I'm donating it. A few weeks ago, I donated 12 inches and then found out that because I donated my hair they were giving me half off!! Was very very pleased with the discount, but the layers the hairdresser gave me were the same results I would get from the Crea Clip.

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2014, 06:08:43 AM »
I also use the coconut oil as an evening moisturizer. (Not necessarily RIGHT at bedtime--it's greasy!)

And I make my own sugar wax and use it myself--full details and about.com recipe at http://frugalparagon.com/2014/01/28/if-i-can-you-can-home-eyebrow-waxing/

nikki

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2014, 06:11:10 AM »
I HAVE ONE!

I occasionally slather Vaseline on my feet and hands, then wear socks to bed. On my feet and hands.

Soft appendages!

I had to start doing it on my hands because I washed my hands so often my skin cracked and bled, but now I do it because it's kind of fun to go to bed with sock puppets.

O__O

EDIT: Vaseline is also what I use when I want my lips to look shiny. Or if they get chapped.

fallstoclimb

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2014, 07:09:30 AM »
What do you guys use to wash your face on a daily basis?  (Not a once weekly scrub).  It literally just occurred to me right this minute that I can probably stop buying special 'fash wash' (marketing) and just use, like, normal body wash or other soap?  Am I incorrect?  I guess if you need the sacilyc acid to prevent breakouts that would be a reason to use dedicated face wash, but thanks to birth control I don't have an issue with that really. 

smalllife

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2014, 07:12:25 AM »
What do you guys use to wash your face on a daily basis?  (Not a once weekly scrub).  It literally just occurred to me right this minute that I can probably stop buying special 'fash wash' (marketing) and just use, like, normal body wash or other soap?  Am I incorrect?  I guess if you need the sacilyc acid to prevent breakouts that would be a reason to use dedicated face wash, but thanks to birth control I don't have an issue with that really.

Soap works just fine (real soap!).  And if you don't have the hard stripping chemicals, you end up not needing moisturizer because your body is doing the work for you.  Augment nature, don't try to replace it and you're most of the way towards winning the war.

fallstoclimb

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2014, 08:11:56 AM »
Real soap = bar soap?  What brand do you like?  I think I'm gonna try to talk my husband into us making the switch.  Then we can stop buying all those bottles and stupid loofahs. 

Adventine

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2014, 08:12:09 AM »

I use regular old soap, the same I use on my body. It's worked pretty well for me. For my mom as well, who's never used anything else. And people still mistake her for my sister.

smalllife

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2014, 08:26:06 AM »
Real soap = bar soap?  What brand do you like?  I think I'm gonna try to talk my husband into us making the switch.  Then we can stop buying all those bottles and stupid loofahs.

I get my soap from a one man soap shop near my place of work, but in general if you look at the ingredient list and you can read everything and it's less than six ingredients you should be okay!

Kaminoge

• Bristles
« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2014, 08:42:18 AM »

Water. I've never put anything else onto my face. I mean I guess if I got motor oil or something on it then I'd use regular soap to clean it off but my face is never dirty.

I'm afraid my beauty hacks are similar to above. It don't wear makeup, love vaseline for my lips and just clip my nails myself. I do get my haircut every 6-8 weeks or so but I found a local woman who works out of a garage and it costs about $7 each time so I'm not complaining.

Emilyngh

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2014, 09:05:16 AM »
I use the oil cleansing method in the winter and when my skin feels drier http://www.crunchybetty.com/nitty-gritty-on-the-oil-cleansing-method .   I just use plain old olive oil and have noticed no breaking out at all, and now the only moisturizer I use is an inexpensive face sunscreen everyday.   When my face is not dry, I just use water.   If my face seems really gross (working outside, etc), I use dilute Dr Bronner's followed by an oil wash for moisture, but this is a rare thing.

mrsggrowsveg

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2014, 10:02:00 AM »
I also do the oil cleansing method.  I usually massage the oil and then rinse it off in the shower.  It works great.

Begonia

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2014, 10:10:52 PM »
One of my favorite beauty hacks for evening-out skin tone and gentle exfoliating is yogurt-on-the-face. That's right: after washing face at night (I use a few tablespoons of unscented castillle soap like Dr.  Bronner's diluted with lots of water, a splash of jojoba oil and a few drops of essential oil like lemon or peppermint, all mixed up in an 8 oz plastic bottle, lasts for months), I slather on a tablespoon or so of plain yogurt (no flavors) and let it set for 20 minutes or so. Then rinse with warm water and use moisturizer (coconut oil is yummy). It makes my skin really soft and smooth and feels like a luxuriously frugal spa treatment. Once a week is plenty. Report back if you try it!

Frankies Girl

• Magnum Stache
  • Ghouls Just Wanna Have Funds!
« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2014, 11:17:13 PM »
Long-term beauty hack... wear sunscreen! Every time you step outside, make sure you have some sort of sun protection on your face, neck and ears and arms/hands. Not only will you avoid the possible skin cancer development, but the sunspots and freckle and wrinkles will be less likely to develop. You'll thank yourself in your 40s when you look 10 years younger...
« Last Edit: May 27, 2014, 01:48:36 PM by Frankies Girl »

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #30 on: May 25, 2014, 06:03:19 PM »

I get my soap from a one man soap shop near my place of work, but in general if you look at the ingredient list and you can read everything and it's less than six ingredients you should be okay!

I now make my own soap with coconut oil, lye and water. Three ingredients. To avoid being too drying,  I use a recipe that is 25% superfat (ie, 25% more coconut oil than the stoichiometric ratio) - I use the stick blender method, and pour into some flexy silicone muffin pans.

Chranstronaut

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #31 on: May 27, 2014, 01:21:36 PM »
Clothing swap parties are a lot of fun. Everyone cleans out their closet and brings things they don't wear and you bring home what you want. This can be extended to accessories and beauty products, too. Make it a potluck for even more fun.

I agree, this is one of my favorite and cheapest tips.  We get a group together a few times a year and everyone brings good quality used clothing and accessories.  It's awesome because we get people with all different body types and sometimes discover how clothes we never really liked look so much better when on the right body type.  It's more fun seeing someone enjoy your clothes than leaving them in your closet to get dusty.
It's also a great excuse to get clothes that you wouldn't normally pick out for yourself without guilt because they are Free-99.  I've brought in clothes I bought from thrift stores that are still in good condition and they found yet another new home!

Body-wise, I started bathing only a few times a week to keep my skin from drying out.  I haven't really noticed a large difference in oil or greasy hair, honestly.  I've also recently started using JR Liggett's Shampoo bar and have really liked it.  I'm not sure how long it will last, but I like the way it leaves my hair soft and has very little packaging.

ABC123

• Bristles
« Reply #32 on: May 27, 2014, 02:07:24 PM »
I tried the baking soda instead of shampoo thing, and it was a massive failure.  But I do really like apple cider vinegar instead of conditioner so at least I got something good out of that experiment.  I like aloe vera gel to help tame the frizzies.  I don't wear finger nail polish, but during sandal season I like fun colors on my toes.  By doing only toes and not fingers, it lasts a lot longer (it always starts flaking off after just a day or two on my fingers) and my amateur job is a lot less noticeable way down there.  For makeup, I only wear mascara. 

netskyblue

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #33 on: May 27, 2014, 02:50:20 PM »
I wash face & body with soap (soap soap, not "beauty bar" soap.  Real soap), shave under my arms with soap, and shave my legs with cheap hair conditioner.  A tiny bit will cover a whole leg.

"Face cleansers" have never done me any good.  Sometimes I use only water, sometimes bar soap if I'm feeling greasy or to wash off makeup.

Spartana

« Reply #34 on: May 27, 2014, 04:55:51 PM »
I use plain old bar soap I buy from the 99 Cent Only store for...99 cents! It's Dial Pure and Natural and comes in a three pack. Use if for my face and body (and when shaving my legs and underarms). Deodorant and suncreen in the day and Aveeno lotion at night. Suave or some kind of inexpensive shampoo and conditioner on my long hair. That's it! Bit of make-up - concealer, lipstick, blush and mascara - if I'm going out otherwise most day's I'm au natural. I have oily skin so the less the better.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2014, 05:00:08 PM by Spartana »

griffin

• Stubble
« Reply #35 on: May 27, 2014, 06:02:30 PM »
2.  Don't give a fuck.

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052970203687504576655331418204842
The problem is that there are a lot of people you judge you based on your appearance, and sometimes not associating with them will hurt you quite a bit!

1.   Use baking soda in water instead of shampoo (there's some adjustment time and anyone interested should read about no-poo)
I'm all about the no-poo life! I don't even use baking soda - just water for the last 3 or 4 years. My dandruff is gone and my hair feels fuller than it used to (i think).

Emilyngh

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #36 on: May 27, 2014, 06:26:22 PM »
2.  Don't give a fuck.

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052970203687504576655331418204842
The problem is that there are a lot of people you judge you based on your appearance, and sometimes not associating with them will hurt you quite a bit!

As the link you posted states "While looks can be altered by clothing, cosmetics and other short-term investments, the effects of these improvements are minor."   So, while I agree one can't really avoid hanging out with people who subconsciously judge one based on their looks, it also doesn't seem that it's worth putting tooo much effort into one's appearance either.

I say this as someone who enjoys fashion and looking a certain way.   But, I think it's important to do that if you find it enjoyable and feel like you are expressing your "true style" or being creative, not b/c one buys into the idea that effort they put into their appearance is critical to somehow influence how others treats them.   Along these lines I agree with the sentiment of the PP: If someone has an issue with how I dress/look, it's their problem (ie, fuck 'em).

Stacey

• Stubble
    • Bottling Moonlight
« Reply #37 on: May 27, 2014, 07:20:37 PM »

I use the oil cleansing method.  I also use the same oil (a very thin layer) to moisturize my face.  I can't believe I used to wash my face twice a day, use makeup remover at night, use toner both day and night, and then put on moisturizer.  Craziness!  Now I just use the OCM at night only.  It's double duty - cleaning and makeup removing.  Once I've wiped it off with a hot washcloth, I put a thin layer on for extra moisture.  If my skin is feeling a little dry in the morning, I'll put a little more on, but that's it. 

mc6

• Stubble
« Reply #38 on: May 27, 2014, 07:29:46 PM »
I generally don't give a fuck.  However, apple cider vinegar rinses cured my lifelong dandruff.

nikki

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #39 on: May 27, 2014, 07:31:47 PM »
I had to start doing it on my hands because I washed my hands so often my skin cracked and bled, but now I do it because it's kind of fun to go to bed with sock puppets.

Stop washing your hands so often that they crack and bleed.

I'm sure for alot of occassions, you can lightly rinse with only water. And don't "rub" dry, "pat" dry.

Haha... I'm better now, but this was compulsive behavior I couldn't exactly control for years. Getting a cat helped because I love her and she's filthy and rolls around in her litter box. Helped me calm my obsession with cleanliness tons. I kiss her filthy head each day and let her share my pillow!

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #40 on: May 29, 2014, 02:19:16 AM »
I used to have very dry lips and vaseline only made it worse. Lanolin was a wonder product for me - completely sorted out painful chapping and now I only put some on a few times a week . However, don't buy the expensive beauty brands: buy pure lanolin nipple cream! It comes in a bigger tube for half the size and does exactly the same job!

Torran

• Bristles
« Reply #41 on: May 29, 2014, 05:57:52 AM »
I love this thread!

- A healthy diet and plenty of exercise for sure. Good health and self respect = more attractive than any amount of make-up.
- I get my hair cut at the local college for free. Since the students are being assessed they tend to do it really well.
- Coconut oil - works as moisturiser, make-up remover, hair conditioner, lip balm...
But mostly, yeah, not giving a fuck what other people think is the best plan :)

tanhanivar

• Stubble
« Reply #42 on: May 29, 2014, 06:32:29 AM »
I just discovered threading. I mean, I knew about it vaguely as a thing some friends went to have done in an obscure part of town. But I just bothered to look into it and... it's really easy? and you can do it yourself? and it's faster than tweezing, with no hot wax? and all it takes is a bit of sewing cotton? Why has no-one told me about this before?!

So I googled how to do it and tried it out tonight. It will take some time to get the coordination and spatial reasoning right, but it really is dead-easy.

PDXgrl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #43 on: May 29, 2014, 01:44:29 PM »

regular soap can be pretty drying, and I found using face washes with sacilyc (sp?) acid actually made breakouts worse. Cetaphil works great for me. It's pretty inexpensive, gentle, and I no longer break out in a sea of pimples.   

PDXgrl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #44 on: May 29, 2014, 02:01:32 PM »
Confession- I used to be addicted to Sephora.  After ALL of the products I've tried and money wasted,  I've discovered the following works best for me:

- Sunscreen!
- Drink water
- Cetaphil for daily face wash
- Face mask when I'm feeling fancy: plain yogurt, baking soda, dash of lemon juice.
- For every super exclusive overpriced cosmetic there's a drugstore version that works just as well.
- Smile! I like smiling, smiling's my favorite.

For the record, my addiction has now shifted to lip balm. Any easy homemade recipes out there? Preferably ones where I don't have to break out the candy thermometer? Not interested in going all "breaking bad" for lip balm.

wileyish

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #45 on: May 29, 2014, 07:36:34 PM »
For a full body exfoliant, try dried Adzuki beans. You can buy the powder in cute containers at fancy hippy shops, but MMM-ers don’t do that! Every other year or so I buy a bag of the dried beans at the grocery store and pulverize them in the coffee grinder. Once a week I mix a tablespoon of the beans with a little warm water and scrub away. Silky soft skin, no plastic micro-beads washed out to sea.

pipercat

• Bristles
« Reply #46 on: May 29, 2014, 09:47:06 PM »
Okay, this may or may not be a hack, but it has helped me tremendously lately. . . I use the products that had previously been sent to the product graveyard of my bathroom closet.  So many times, I have been wooed by a product ad or recommendation, and I've purchased the product. That leaves me putting away the half-used bottles or jars of whatever I was already using.   

So lately, when I run out of something, I go to the closet and resurrect whatever was sent there to begin with. I'm currently back to using a moisturizer that I put away at least two years ago, and some leave in conditioner that is even older.

Of course, if it no longer works, or gives me crappy results, I toss it, but that rarely happens.

tanhanivar

• Stubble
« Reply #47 on: May 30, 2014, 07:55:35 AM »
I had only hot-water washed my hair for a few days (it felt lank and manky) so I tried the 1tbsp baking soda: 1cup water mix today. And it cleaned my hair beautifully - full and light and not oily at all all day today (a little dry on my scalp so I'll tweak the mix/try the rinse).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

socaso

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #48 on: May 30, 2014, 10:43:14 AM »
Okay, this may or may not be a hack, but it has helped me tremendously lately. . . I use the products that had previously been sent to the product graveyard of my bathroom closet.  So many times, I have been wooed by a product ad or recommendation, and I've purchased the product. That leaves me putting away the half-used bottles or jars of whatever I was already using.   

So lately, when I run out of something, I go to the closet and resurrect whatever was sent there to begin with. I'm currently back to using a moisturizer that I put away at least two years ago, and some leave in conditioner that is even older.

Of course, if it no longer works, or gives me crappy results, I toss it, but that rarely happens.
I've been doing this! I want to move to all natural products that I make myself but I realized I have a stash of body wash and lotion leftover from my couponing days so I've vowed to use that up before I start on the all natural stuff. The stash was largely free so I didn't want to be foolish and not use it.

JoyBlogette

• Stubble
    • My Journal
« Reply #49 on: May 30, 2014, 01:22:52 PM »
- Smile! I like smiling, smiling's my favorite.

Ha ha.  Love this movie.  Smiling is my favourite too!