Author Topic: "Pretty" Mustachians, share your beauty hacks  (Read 92435 times)

Astatine

• Magnum Stache
  • Pronouns: they/them
Re: "Pretty" Mustachians, share your beauty hacks
« Reply #200 on: October 06, 2015, 11:42:20 PM »
Belatedly realising this in my early 40s: best beauty hack - do not give any fucks. At all. I am currently bald due to medical treatment and will be for many months. I am quite happy being bald. It took a bit to get over the social conditioning and not give any fucks, but confidence is everything. I've asked DH if anyone has been staring at my lack of hair when we go out and he reckons, nope.

So yeah, next year when I'm back at work and looking more "normal", I am going to try to keep the vibe of I do not give any fucks what I look like (I will probably still keep plucking my eyebrows as my one sop to vanity). And when my hair grows back, I will keep cutting/shaving it myself but more adventurously than I have done previously.

ahoy

• Stubble
« Reply #201 on: October 07, 2015, 03:32:44 AM »
Up until the beginning of this year I was using relatively cheap cleansers for my face approx $10.   Now I'm using the "dove" soap bar for my face, it cost me less than $1 in Mexico (that's dollar not Mxn peso).   I've used lotion with SPF on my face for the last 20 years.  I am currently out of a face lotion with SPF, but somebody else above suggested using any kind of SPF, I think I will do this as I find face creams with SPF are quiet a bit more expensive.

Water, water, water.  I have always drunk plenty - even as a kid.  My skin has always been good.

I am seriously thinking of going the no-poo route.  Just haven't worked up the courage yet.

MEJG

• Bristles
« Reply #202 on: October 08, 2015, 09:00:11 AM »
I haven't been able to read all of these yet, so their probably covered.

I wash my hair with a sulfate free shampoo and condition it only when needed- probably once a month. Otherwise just water. My hair is healthier than it ever has been :) it is long right now so I braid it at night, less split ends and tangles.  I tried baking soda and a cig what rinse but no matter my portions it dried my hair and scalp eventually.

Oil cleansing method to wash my face with either olive or coconut oil.

I wear minimal make up only when going someplace fancy i.e. A benefit dinner or wedding.

I pluck my own eyebrows and wax my own upper lip/ face. The small pot of wax I bought is almost gone after 2 years and I plan on trying sugar wax next.

Diva cup and cloth panty liners if I feel the need for extra coverage.

Laser hair removal. Now hear me out- I have very thick course pubic and underarm hair. When I attemp to shave I end up with ingrown hairs that get infected. I've got scars on my thighs and underarms from infected ingrowns and tried every trick in the books for years- coupled with a "bikini line" that goes to mid thigh and it was pretty dismal. Waxing helped with the ingrowns but it was $50+ per wax for just the bikini line- nothing extended because of the time it took... So I only would do that prior to a vacation. My sister got laser and convinced me to try- so for $300 on a groupon I never have to worry about ingrowns again- well worth it and an over all savings for me and my skin.

tthree

• Bristles
« Reply #203 on: October 08, 2015, 06:56:31 PM »
How to curl your hair without heat!  Genius.  I have done this every night this week and it is AMAZING!  I haven't read every comment, so if this has already been posted my apologies.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-VuMyY-N8M

FLA

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #204 on: October 08, 2015, 08:51:49 PM »
Belatedly realising this in my early 40s: best beauty hack - do not give any fucks. At all. I am currently bald due to medical treatment and will be for many months. I am quite happy being bald. It took a bit to get over the social conditioning and not give any fucks, but confidence is everything. I've asked DH if anyone has been staring at my lack of hair when we go out and he reckons, nope.

So yeah, next year when I'm back at work and looking more "normal", I am going to try to keep the vibe of I do not give any fucks what I look like (I will probably still keep plucking my eyebrows as my one sop to vanity). And when my hair grows back, I will keep cutting/shaving it myself but more adventurously than I have done previously.

after doing oncology and hospice, I got so used to women without their hair that it just seemed natural and beautiful. Sometimes they would have their very nice wig on but I wouldn't even realize it was them for a minute. You can really see the beauty of a woman's face without the distraction of hair, if that makes sense. Keep up not giving a fuck!

Astatine

• Magnum Stache
  • Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #205 on: October 09, 2015, 02:38:57 AM »

after doing oncology and hospice, I got so used to women without their hair that it just seemed natural and beautiful. Sometimes they would have their very nice wig on but I wouldn't even realize it was them for a minute. You can really see the beauty of a woman's face without the distraction of hair, if that makes sense. Keep up not giving a fuck!

I wish the hospital I go to was like that. Every woman who's lost her hair there wears some sort of head covering (admittedly, it could be partly from feeling the cold, but still). Last chemo I took my hat off (which I was wearing for warmth outside) as soon as I got in, and then noticed that one other woman did too. I felt a mild sense of achievement with that :) There does seem to be a lot of pressure/assumption with the treatment that I'm on that OF COURSE you will get a wig or wear hats and scarves and try to hide the fact that you might be bald underneath. And it comes from everyone - the doctors, the nurses, support staff, etc

smalllife

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #206 on: October 09, 2015, 08:45:09 AM »
Tthree, do you use the sprays or doea it hold naturally?  I think my hair could do it with natural oils (I'm water only) but just curious to see what you use!

FLA

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #207 on: October 09, 2015, 10:07:17 AM »

[/quote]

I wish the hospital I go to was like that. Every woman who's lost her hair there wears some sort of head covering (admittedly, it could be partly from feeling the cold, but still). Last chemo I took my hat off (which I was wearing for warmth outside) as soon as I got in, and then noticed that one other woman did too. I felt a mild sense of achievement with that :) There does seem to be a lot of pressure/assumption with the treatment that I'm on that OF COURSE you will get a wig or wear hats and scarves and try to hide the fact that you might be bald underneath. And it comes from everyone - the doctors, the nurses, support staff, etc
[/quote]

even the insurance company will pay for part of a wig! I think it's great that that other woman took her head covering off as well once she saw you did it. Older women I think it doesn't even occur to them to not cover their head, younger women are changing that stigma.  You keep on going!

JPinDC

• Stubble
« Reply #208 on: October 09, 2015, 10:26:40 AM »
How to curl your hair without heat!  Genius.  I have done this every night this week and it is AMAZING!  I haven't read every comment, so if this has already been posted my apologies.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-VuMyY-N8M.

I've never seen that before, but it looks incredible. My hair doesn't hold curls well, but I'm going to give it a shot!

tthree

• Bristles
« Reply #209 on: October 09, 2015, 12:22:29 PM »
Tthree, do you use the sprays or doea it hold naturally?  I think my hair could do it with natural oils (I'm water only) but just curious to see what you use!
Water only!  The curl stays well in my hair. 

FLA

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #210 on: October 14, 2015, 09:11:48 AM »
I read a lot here about coconut oil, here's a sale:

http://www.bulkapothecary.com:

Coconut Oil (76 degree) Prices after coupon code:
14oz. -                 - $2.46 / jar
7 lb. jug                 - $12.86 / pail
35 lb. pail               - $45.57 / pail
55 gallon drum       ~$.93 / lb.

Glycerin Prices after coupon code:
16oz. -                    - $3.22 / bottle
10 lb. jug                 - $10.99 / jug
50 lb. pail                - $43.98 / pail
55 gallon drum        ~$.65 / lb.
4-55 gallon drums.  ~$.62 / lb.
72 drum truckload   ~$.56 / lb.
45000 lb. tank truck ~$.42 / lb.

use code coconutvg

they have tons of stuff for concocting things at home and containers to dispense.

make sure to check out the clearance section and if you like Bath and Body works, they have comparable products (under Health and Beauty). The lip balm is great (clearance), the 32oz bottle of lotion for 2.99 in the clearance section is wonderful.  And Bath and Body Works-ish lotion is 64oz for $8! Teen girl heaven on this site.  Clearance also has Disney and lip smackers stuff for younger kids. 

stephQ

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #211 on: October 14, 2015, 02:43:03 PM »
Not really a 'hack', but one thing I consistently reach for is my glass nail file. No more having to replace worn out emery boards or nail clippers. I've had mine for over a few years and it still works like new. It's easily cleaned by water and prevents nails from splitting. +1 for Dr Bronners, love to use the liquid soap (diluted) as a body wash + face wash and pure coconut oil as an eye makeup remover. I gently rub a small amount over my eyes till the makeup and mascara has dissolved and blot with a small piece of tissue or a hand towel. A few drops of almond oil as an all over body moisturizer works wonders after a shower too.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #212 on: October 14, 2015, 02:48:24 PM »
Not really a 'hack', but one thing I consistently reach for is my glass nail file.

I had no idea those were a thing!

LiseE

• Stubble
« Reply #213 on: October 15, 2015, 10:56:42 AM »
Homemade Makeup Remover

Saw this on FB today ... I'm going to try it .. looks good

https://www.facebook.com/buzzfeedtopknot/videos/954975357908515/?pnref=story

elaine amj

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #214 on: October 15, 2015, 11:09:10 AM »
Not really a 'hack', but one thing I consistently reach for is my glass nail file. No more having to replace worn out emery boards or nail clippers. I've had mine for over a few years and it still works like new. It's easily cleaned by water and prevents nails from splitting. +1 for Dr Bronners, love to use the liquid soap (diluted) as a body wash + face wash and pure coconut oil as an eye makeup remover. I gently rub a small amount over my eyes till the makeup and mascara has dissolved and blot with a small piece of tissue or a hand towel. A few drops of almond oil as an all over body moisturizer works wonders after a shower too.

Hmm...i have a glass nail file I keep at my desk. It was a gift. i use it, but i don't really like it. Feels weird on my nails and i worry i am going to split them or something.

My beauty hacks

- pure coconut oil as face/body moisturizer. Supposedly it also acts as a mild SPF? I like it better than any of the other expensive moisturizers I have ever used. gives a nice glow and isn't too oily for my combo skin.

- no more conditioner. I find conditioner for some reason gave me dandruff problems. So I quit using it. I don't find it causes the same problems anymore, but don't notice any difference in my hair after I add my hair oils/styling creams. My DD isn't as disciplined about using the hair oils, etc so she still uses conditioner.

- I use just water to wash my face. No makeup remover or whatever. It's probably bad - but in the last 5 years, I haven't noticed any difference whatsoever. Still - maybe I'm condemning my older self to horrible skin? I don't care all that much to be honest and laziness has won out.

boy_bye

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #215 on: October 15, 2015, 12:17:10 PM »
- pure coconut oil as face/body moisturizer. Supposedly it also acts as a mild SPF? I like it better than any of the other expensive moisturizers I have ever used. gives a nice glow and isn't too oily for my combo skin.

be careful with this -- i tried using coconut oil as a facial moisturizer and i broke out like crazy (and normally my skin is very resilient, i never break out normally).

i had better luck with avocado oil personally.

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #216 on: October 15, 2015, 03:59:57 PM »

be careful with this -- i tried using coconut oil as a facial moisturizer and i broke out like crazy (and normally my skin is very resilient, i never break out normally).

i had better luck with avocado oil personally.
I've only used coconut oil as a body moisturizer, so I have no comments about breaking out.  However, coconut oil was amazing on my skin.  It was a tad greasy, so I put it on before bed. 

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #217 on: February 20, 2017, 10:10:56 PM »
http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/real-life/wtf/the-insane-vagina-glue-no-woman-will-ever-want/news-story/77918aa0c2ae0c982d7a1c3c56556a68

A chiropractor from the US, Dr Dopps describes the vagina as a “self-cleaning shower drain” (swoon) and has used this incredibly scientific understanding of female anatomy to come up with a product no woman in their right mind would want — The Mensez Adhesive Vaginal Lipstick.

Yes, it is as bad as it sounds.

As Forbes reported, Dr Dopps is the CEO of a company called Mensez Technologies and describes his ingenious invention as a “natural compound of amino acids and oil in a lipstick that is applied to the labia minora which causes them to cling together in a manner strong enough to retain menstrual fluid in the vestibule above the labia minora where the vaginal opening and urethra exit.”

Oh, and the reason that a man invented this and not a woman?

“[Y]ou as a woman should have come up with a better solution than diapers and plugs, but you didn’t. Reason being women are focused on and distracted by your period 25 per cent of the time, making them far less productive than they could be.”

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #218 on: February 20, 2017, 11:49:03 PM »
http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/real-life/wtf/the-insane-vagina-glue-no-woman-will-ever-want/news-story/77918aa0c2ae0c982d7a1c3c56556a68

A chiropractor from the US, Dr Dopps describes the vagina as a “self-cleaning shower drain” (swoon) and has used this incredibly scientific understanding of female anatomy to come up with a product no woman in their right mind would want — The Mensez Adhesive Vaginal Lipstick.

As Forbes reported, Dr Dopps is the CEO of a company called Mensez Technologies and describes his ingenious invention as a “natural compound of amino acids and oil in a lipstick that is applied to the labia minora which causes them to cling together in a manner strong enough to retain menstrual fluid in the vestibule above the labia minora where the vaginal opening and urethra exit.”

“[Y]ou as a woman should have come up with a better solution than diapers and plugs, but you didn’t. Reason being women are focused on and distracted by your period 25 per cent of the time, making them far less productive than they could be.”

Chiropractors... bloody hell. Hope I never have the misfortunate of losing my marbles and going to see one.

How long does it stay shut for? What happens when you want sex? :D

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #219 on: February 21, 2017, 09:06:45 AM »

Chiropractors... bloody hell. Hope I never have the misfortunate of losing my marbles and going to see one.

How long does it stay shut for? What happens when you want sex? :D
Oh my.  So many feels. 

I'm good with my menstrual cup.  Any ladies that try out the glue, let me know how it goes.  ;)

alewpanda

• Bristles
« Reply #220 on: February 21, 2017, 04:17:59 PM »
Hair: shampoo only once or twice a week and rinse before blowing dry the rest of the days.  Stretches the shampoo bars I buy and is better for me.  If hair is getting dry (I still have that issue on the ends sometimes) slip in some coconut oil or argan oil.  If scalp is getting oily, use some cornstarch or cocoa as dry shampoo.  Get hair thinned when trimming and you can stretch longer between haircuts (only recommended if your hair gets *poofy* between cuts or is particularly thick, like mine)

Face: Slather castor oil on dry face.  Jump in shower and wash hair and rest of body.  Oil will have partially steamed into your face -- providing you an oil cleanse for zero effort.  Wipe off any excess with clean wet washcloth and jump out.  Amazing skin, smaller pores,tons of vitamin E, skin soft and moisturized.  Bonus -- castor oil is a 1.00 at the store.

Pimples: Baking soda paste before bed.  Brush off after completely dried, or sleep in it if you don't mind the powder working off overnight.

Menstrual: diva cup!

Nails: Coconut oil

Skin: coconut oil or castor oil

Mascara: Let your sister, who represents Mary Kay, gift you your favorite mascara each Christmas and then stretch it with a drop or two of contact solution until next Christmas.

Other makeup -- don't use it.  Use castor oil ;)

Make up remover -- coconut oil

Body -- use your shampoo bar, or the extra *sample* bars that your soap lady sends in your bulk orders ;)

Heckler

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #221 on: February 23, 2017, 04:36:13 AM »
1.  Don't associate with people likely to judge you based on your appearance.
2.  Don't give a fuck.

Hear! Hear!

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
  • Lovin' the Mustachian life!
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #222 on: February 24, 2017, 10:20:16 AM »
Haha I love it.

Mustachian beauty hack: Stop giving a fuck.

Two of my favourite links on the topic:

https://markmanson.net/not-giving-a-fuck
http://www.inoveryourhead.net/2011/04/25/the-complete-guide-to-not-giving-a-fuck/

Enjoy :)

Aelias

• Bristles
« Reply #223 on: February 24, 2017, 02:01:14 PM »
+1 for not giving a fuck.

Honestly, if you're meeting the basic level of cleanliness and clothed-ness to be socially acceptable, most people do not care.  At all.  And you will save money, time, and mental bandwith by not caring right along with them.

In the past year I stopped wearing make up, started washing my hair less, and (almost) stopped buying new clothes.  No one noticed, and I still look good!

No amount of make-up, skincare, or fashion will have as much of an impact as a healthy lifestyle.

Mustachian beauty regimen: good food, water, exercise, sleep, and low stress

Also: Frugalwoods has some great pieces on this  http://www.frugalwoods.com/2015/07/27/less-makeup-more-confidence-my-frugal-beauty-manifesto/

SerenaDarrin

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #224 on: February 24, 2019, 09:22:43 PM »
So I hope no one minds me resurrecting this thread, but it came up in my searches, and I'm seeing a few things I do that I don't see shared.

1) Hairsticks!  No, seriously.  I haven't gotten my hair cut in over two years (I clip out tangles and split ends when I find them with a little pair of sewing scissors.  But Hairsticks are much less harsh on your hair then ties/clips.   So, I have waist-length hair, and I just braid it, and pin it up with a hairstick.  5 minutes, in the morning, tops!

At night, I unpin it, brush it, and re-braid it.  I only wash it about once a week, and it works out perfectly fine. :)  And I get a lot of compliments on my hair, especially when I wear one of my more colourful or shiny hairsticks.  And hairsticks, properly used, will hold through roller coasters!  (They will also hold when swimming, -- I have two metal hairsticks I use when I'm swimming)    Long hair really is low-maintenance!

2) Henna:  I'm surprised no one's mentioned (or if they did I didn't see it), Henna Hair Dye for the folks who want to colour their hair!  I henna my hair using a solid henna block (henna mixed with shea butter and such), and one block will do about two dye jobs for my long hair . .  but considering I only colour may hair once every six months, at most, it's really not that much.   And, honestly, I might just not buy another block when I finish this one, and see how much I miss it.

3) Water.  Though a lot of folks have talked about hydration, may I just add -- keep a water bottle in your purse!  It helps -so- much, especially in summers.

4) Razors.  I don't shave very often (and not at all in winter).  I do, however, need to keep my pits and groin somewhat clipped -- but I use scissors rather then a razor.  Just a dedicated pair of sewing scissors.    I do use a razor every once in a while when my legs get super-hairy, but that's probably only once or twice per summer. .  so my pack of razors lasts -forever-!

5) I do wear makeup for some formal occasions or if I'm going to be preforming/presenting. It's a chance to have fun and get 'dressed up', and it spares me the 'are you ok, you look like you're going to faint' statements.  I do have to be very particular about my makeup, since I have a carmine allergy, so there's only a few brands I can buy from. . . but now, I have my makeup stash, and I don't need any more for a -long- while!

The only thing I wear regularly is a mineral powder that helps with my acne and gives a bit of sun protection. I put in my order for lots of it when the maker has a sale and/or free shipping. :D

6) Microfiber Washcloths.  I was initially skeptical, but these things are amazing!  They exfoliate, and are great removers of makeup, dirt and more! And you can just throw them in the wash.  I've had mine for -years- now and they're still going strong.  I use them pretty much every day.

And finally, seconding/thirding 'n'th-ing the 'just don't give a fuck' option.  So long as you are comfortable in your own skin, that's the most important part, I think. 

K-ice

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #225 on: February 24, 2019, 11:46:29 PM »
So I hope no one minds me resurrecting this thread, but it came up in my searches, and I'm seeing a few things I do that I don't see shared.

I don't mind.

It's a reminder I need to try coconut oil. I've seen a big tub at Costco, is that what you previous posters use?

But that tub's so huge I feel it would last forever or go rancid.

https://www.costco.ca/Kirkland-Signature-Organic-Virgin-Coconut-Oil-2-pack.product.100423976.html

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #226 on: February 25, 2019, 12:24:48 AM »

I don't mind.

It's a reminder I need to try coconut oil. I've seen a big tub at Costco, is that what you previous posters use?

But that tub's so huge I feel it would last forever or go rancid.

https://www.costco.ca/Kirkland-Signature-Organic-Virgin-Coconut-Oil-2-pack.product.100423976.html
Store some in the fridge and freeze the rest. When you need more, defrost, scoop some out and refreeze. Works great!

It also makes a wonderful sexy times lube that's natural and doesn't stain the sheets! I may have mentioned this tip upthread, but this thread is so old, it bears repeating.

FreshPrincess

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #227 on: February 25, 2019, 06:59:49 AM »
I may be in the minority here, but I love makeup - the whole nine yards.  I actually find blending eye-shadow therapeutic and will often sit and do it on particularly long and boring or stressful conference calls (I work from home).

With that said - Wet N Wild and Elf are both cruelty free and make perfectly good products and are widely available most everywhere. I'm pretty sure the dollar store even carries some Elf products.  They are inexpensive and no one will ever know whether you're wearing a $60 foundation or a $5 foundation.  ALSO, coupons and ebates and online sales are so easy to find.  My Walmart typically has an entire section of clearance makeup.  Essence is another brand that makes quality makeup for EXTREMELY low prices; it's just not as widely available here.

I know that's not the most Mustachian answer, but I place value on the fun and creative outlet of makeup, so I do spend a little on it to enjoy!

My grocery also had a huge brand clearing of a more natural, cruelty free skincare line - I guess they stopped selling it?  So, they had SPF moisturizers and cleansers on clearance for >$3.  I snatched some of those up and am now set on skincare for at least the next year.  I'm always keeping an eye out for items like that.

Another brand that I find just as good as, if not better than, expensive products is CeraVe.  And there are always coupons or two for one deals available.

I ALSO balayage my own hair.  It makes it easy to go MONTHS without a touch-up.  There are a few tutorials online and my favorites are the back tease method or the twisting method.  Both have provided excellent results and saved me THOUSANDS of dollars at this point.  I also don't color my hair at all in the summer because sun and chlorine and such.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #228 on: February 25, 2019, 07:52:46 AM »
I also love makeup! I’m terrible at eye shadow but I love lipstick.

I do spend more money on certain products that work well with my sensitive skin. Most foundations I’ve tried cause my skin to turn red and flaky, so I’m willing to spend $25 on the one bottle that keeps my skin happy and exactly matches my skin tone. I don’t wear it every day and only use it to smooth over discoloration, so the bottle lasts for a while. Ditto for lipstick; many of the drugstore ones I’ve tried contain something that makes my lips flake and split horribly and/or smell weird, so I’m willing to spend $20-30 on something that I love and can wear comfortably every day if I want. A tube of lipstick lasts a long time so again, not a frequent expenditure.

Products like mascara or eyeliner, however...drugstore all the way, preferably on sale and/or with a coupon. If I could find a drugstore blush that didn’t have brown/beige undertones (which make me look consumptive), I’d buy that too. My skin also seems happy with the Simple line of skincare and Suave shampoo/conditioner.

chaskavitch

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #229 on: February 26, 2019, 11:31:13 AM »
I've got to say, I got an epilator for Christmas and I really like it.  The first time I used it was TERRIBLE, and it took me an hour to do my armpits because I could only do like 5 seconds at a time before I got all teary and couldn't see anymore.  After that first time it barely hurts at all.  I've been maintaining with ~ 15 minutes twice a week and exfoliation with an exfoliation glove in the shower to reduce ingrown hairs. 

Even though I'm blonde, my hair is very thick, and my legs would be prickly and uncomfortable by evening when I shaved in the morning.  They are consistently much softer using the epilator.  I know it will take a long time, but I'm excited for the day when my hair stops growing back as much. That was honestly my biggest goal in getting one - convincing all of my follicles to give up eventually :)

I've been using a shampoo bar with an apple cider vinegar rinse, and I think my hair looks healthier than ever, even with longer between washings. 

Bar soap for the dirty bits instead of body wash everywhere has been perfectly sufficient to make me feel and smell clean, and my skin is less dry and itchy than it usually is in the winter, even being super pregnant.  I've hardly had to use any lotion at all.

katscratch

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #230 on: February 26, 2019, 12:33:08 PM »
I use bar soap instead of body washes mostly to reduce plastic and avoid microbead plastics, but they also last a long time and the fragrances aren't nearly as overwhelming as body wash (to me).

I have an epilator and love it when I use it but it's no fun if I have to start fresh!! I never did get tolerant to my armpits and I have a ridiculously high pain tolerance. Such stubborn thick hairs!

I've recently started wearing liquid lipstick to try to stop chewing my lips and I love love love how it looks. I grabbed a couple Wet n Wild for $1 on sale at Walgreens after reading reviews and they're working really well for me.

rubybeth

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #231 on: February 26, 2019, 12:53:10 PM »
All the people in this thread using coconut oil on skin... must not have acne prone skin! It's highly comedogenic and clogs pores (sits on the top layer of skin, doesn't absorb). I avoid this in any products (cocos nucifera) since it can really exacerbate some skin conditions.

Also baking soda, lemon juice, vinegar on skin, ouch! Be gentle with your skin. CeraVe makes good skincare products at drugstore prices.

Juneboogie

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • 5 o'clock shadow
« Reply #232 on: February 26, 2019, 05:04:53 PM »
I wash my face with just a washcloth soaked in warm water, unless I have been wearing makeup, in which case I use coconut or other oil.  Has worked well for many years now.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #233 on: February 26, 2019, 05:11:37 PM »
All the people in this thread using coconut oil on skin... must not have acne prone skin! It's highly comedogenic and clogs pores (sits on the top layer of skin, doesn't absorb). I avoid this in any products (cocos nucifera) since it can really exacerbate some skin conditions.

Also baking soda, lemon juice, vinegar on skin, ouch! Be gentle with your skin. CeraVe makes good skincare products at drugstore prices.
Yup. I have rosacea and no way would I put that stuff on my face. I even had trouble using it to deep condition my hair. My lady parts seem not to mind it one bit, however ;-)

I switched from shampoo to baking soda with a diluted vinegar rinse about a year ago and really, really like it. It's easy, it lasts far longer than a shampoo wash, and my hair and scalp seem much happier.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #234 on: February 26, 2019, 06:18:30 PM »

Coconut oil causes tiny whiteheads all over my face. I reserve it for eating only.

Agree on bar soap over body wash. I buy the Kirkland brand bars from Costco. $10 for 15 long-lasting bars with a mild, non-offensive fragrance.

englishteacheralex

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #235 on: February 26, 2019, 06:23:30 PM »
PTF and to read through the whole thing sometime when I get a minute.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #236 on: February 26, 2019, 08:46:24 PM »
I may be in the minority here, but I love makeup - the whole nine yards.  I actually find blending eye-shadow therapeutic and will often sit and do it on particularly long and boring or stressful conference calls (I work from home).

I'm in awe of people like you. Eyeshadow baffles me. I only wear it when it's applied by a professional.

I’m terrible at eye shadow...

Oh yes, this is me.

... but I love lipstick.

Damn.

I recently rediscovered the only eyeshadow palette I own (it's less than a year old, I just forgot about it), and have been using the lighter shade as a highlighter.

Purists might be horrified, but don't be afraid to repurpose the products you have. My boss has been known to use lipstick as blush when she has to go on TV at short notice.

FreshPrincess

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #237 on: February 27, 2019, 05:28:27 AM »

Purists might be horrified, but don't be afraid to repurpose the products you have. My boss has been known to use lipstick as blush when she has to go on TV at short notice.

Oh, absolutely!  I use items in ways that they're not really marketed all the time!  Eye shadow as bronzer or contour.  Lipstick as blush.  Blush as eye shadow. Eye shadow as a lipstick topper. That's a great money saving tip!  I have WAY more makeup than I need, but you can save some serious cash by just getting creative with what you have.

Marley09

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #238 on: February 27, 2019, 07:34:55 AM »
I've got to say, I got an epilator for Christmas and I really like it. 
...cut.....
even being super pregnant.

@chaskavitch and @katscratch  What epilator do you use?  I have been looking for one, but there are so many options with a wide variety of price points and I cannot decide if I go for a cheaper one first to make sure I like it or if I should just jump all in.

Chaskavitch- You are one tough lady; using an epilator while pregnant sounds like torture!!!

-Marley

chaskavitch

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #239 on: February 27, 2019, 08:09:21 AM »
I've got to say, I got an epilator for Christmas and I really like it. 
...cut.....
even being super pregnant.

@chaskavitch and @katscratch  What epilator do you use?  I have been looking for one, but there are so many options with a wide variety of price points and I cannot decide if I go for a cheaper one first to make sure I like it or if I should just jump all in.

Chaskavitch- You are one tough lady; using an epilator while pregnant sounds like torture!!!

-Marley

@Marley09 I have the Braun Silk-epil 9.  I got it on sale, but it was still a splurge.  It was REALLY well reviewed, though.  The only bad thing about using it while I'm pregnant is that I can't actually SEE my bikini line, ha, so that area is just languishing and growing thicker and thicker.  I am not really looking forward to using it there, but it would be better than shaving.  I hate shaving my bikini line.  So many ingrown hairs :(

Arbitrage

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #240 on: February 27, 2019, 08:54:37 AM »
I'm a male, not pretty, and am happily married without a need to impress anyone else. 

That said, I do lift weights frequently and keep my weight down enough to maintain the body of an underwear model, albeit a middle-aged one with a previous injury affecting my muscular symmetry.  In addition to the health benefits, I certainly will admit that I enjoy the effects this has on my appearance.  I do this for myself, and it gives me a lot of personal pride and confidence.  I've actually found that I receive very few compliments/comments on my body from women my age or younger; they most frequently come from other men (in the vein of "dude, you're jacked") or older women.  Don't know if that's the 'dadbod' phenomenon or whatever, but since I don't need the attentions of eligible females, it's not a big concern of mine.

As part of my vanity, I do some bodily grooming and shaving.  My mustachian hack (beyond buzzing my own hair) is in spritzing my razor with isopropyl alcohol after each use and allowing it to dry blade-side up.  The idea is to minimize buildup of mineral deposits from hard water.  I was dubious that this would make a difference when I started it, but it has multiplied the working lifetime of my razors by many times.  I use each cartridge for months and months.  Once I've burned through my existing stock, I might move to cheaper razors, but I should still have enough for several more years.

MountainGal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #241 on: February 27, 2019, 09:43:49 AM »
Much to my chagrin, I discovered yesterday I am nearly out of my favorite soap.  I had planned on making a special trip to WW, but later decided I'll use something from our guest bathroom toiletry stash.  That will keep me from purchasing anything until payday.  Hopefully.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #242 on: February 27, 2019, 10:42:35 AM »
I'm a male, not pretty, and am happily married without a need to impress anyone else.

I hope you're not implying that those of us in this thread, happily married or otherwise, fuss over our appearances to impress others or for any other reason beyond personal enjoyment.

katscratch

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #243 on: February 27, 2019, 11:11:13 AM »
I didn't read his statements as applying to anyone else. To me it sounded like Arbitrage has realized it makes him feel good to look good and acknowledges that our culture doesn't reinforce that mindset.

I also didn't take his mentions of "dressing to impress" as a judgment of people's motivations.

Sometimes I wear makeup just for me, but there certainly are times I wear a particular outfit and lipstick because I know it's more appealing to others. I personally don't see anything wrong with that - my sense of self worth isn't tied to my appearance - but I totally recognize the impulse to "look my best" for someone else.

Arbitrage

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #244 on: February 27, 2019, 12:37:47 PM »
I didn't read his statements as applying to anyone else. To me it sounded like Arbitrage has realized it makes him feel good to look good and acknowledges that our culture doesn't reinforce that mindset.

I also didn't take his mentions of "dressing to impress" as a judgment of people's motivations.

Sometimes I wear makeup just for me, but there certainly are times I wear a particular outfit and lipstick because I know it's more appealing to others. I personally don't see anything wrong with that - my sense of self worth isn't tied to my appearance - but I totally recognize the impulse to "look my best" for someone else.

Thanks, sorry if anyone misunderstands; I'm definitely not passing judgment on anyone who does or does not beautify themselves in one way or another, and I certainly don't want to claim any moral high ground (or low ground).  Just stating that my motivation is personal to provide some context to my vain torso-primping (though the razor hack also applies to the same razor I use on non-bearded portions of my face).  Mind you, that doesn't mean that I hide my hard work under baggy clothes or otherwise. 

SerenaDarrin

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #245 on: February 27, 2019, 03:25:37 PM »

Oh, absolutely!  I use items in ways that they're not really marketed all the time!  Eye shadow as bronzer or contour.  Lipstick as blush.  Blush as eye shadow. Eye shadow as a lipstick topper. That's a great money saving tip!  I have WAY more makeup than I need, but you can save some serious cash by just getting creative with what you have.

Just be cautious with this -- some pigments in eye shadow are not safe on the lips (they're not safe to eat), and some pigments for things like lipsticks and blush are not safe near your eyes.  You might have to do a bit of research to find out, depending on the brand of your makeup.

One of the re-purposes I've heard-but-not-tried -- for nail polish, use 1 clear coat, a bit of powdered eye shadow, and another clear coat to seal.  (I can't speak to this one myself, since I don't do nail polish, but the idea intrigued me.)

imadandylion

• Stubble
« Reply #246 on: May 12, 2019, 05:45:48 PM »
Use an epilator instead of a razor, which would need to be replaced. Use a loofah to exfoliate instead of scrubs. If you let the loofah dry out completely every time it'll actually last a long time. Ditto on the sunscreen, but I also wear a hat as much as possible. Really helps a lot, and you'll glare less!  For acne, I find the acne.org products the most economical.

Redstone5

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #247 on: June 05, 2019, 03:11:22 PM »
I just have to share here that I finally figured out how to give myself a complete Brazilian wax! There was a lot of trial and error and the first time I kept getting a cramp from the contorting, but now I'm saving $50 a month and getting a yoga workout! LOL

I have my own wax pot (it's like a mini crockpot that I bought for $50 about three years ago and it's still going strong) and I use the hard wax and wooden sticks that I buy in bulk from a beauty supply store. The key is to have a really large handheld mirror you can lay on the floor to see "the area" :)

I've also experimented with the sugar wax recipes on youtube with very good results for my legs and underarms (they use just regular sugar, water, and lemon juice that you cook on the stove into a gel). I might switch to that method once I run out of hard wax for even more savings.

K-ice

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #248 on: June 06, 2019, 11:44:01 AM »
I just have to share here that I finally figured out how to give myself a complete Brazilian wax! There was a lot of trial and error and the first time I kept getting a cramp from the contorting, but now I'm saving $50 a month and getting a yoga workout! LOL

I have my own wax pot (it's like a mini crockpot that I bought for $50 about three years ago and it's still going strong) and I use the hard wax and wooden sticks that I buy in bulk from a beauty supply store. The key is to have a really large handheld mirror you can lay on the floor to see "the area" :)

I've also experimented with the sugar wax recipes on youtube with very good results for my legs and underarms (they use just regular sugar, water, and lemon juice that you cook on the stove into a gel). I might switch to that method once I run out of hard wax for even more savings.

I did my bikini (not Brazilian) a few years ago. Too painful.

But I love buying the pre-waxes strips for my legs. About $15 for 40 strips and I get 8-10 uses in.

DeniseNJ

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #249 on: June 12, 2019, 01:09:51 PM »
1.  Cheap conditioner.  I use it to shave and I also never use shampoo.  I "wash" my curly hair with lots of conditioner, gentle scrubbing, lots of rinsing.  Then I use my nice conditioner in the normal way. I haven't used shampoo in many years.
2. Jojoba oil.  I use it all over, hair and body.
3. Store knock offs of expensive brands, like cerave.
4. Sunscreen!!!!!!
5. Retin A--worth every penny.  Can be had by prescription or bought cheap online.  It is the gold standard in anti aging.  If you only do one thing use sunscreen.  If you only do two things, use sunscreen and retin A.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!