Author Topic: "Homegrown" meals...  (Read 3712 times)

Gone Fishing

• Magnum Stache
  • So Close went fishing on April 1, 2016
    • Journal
"Homegrown" meals...
« on: July 13, 2017, 08:11:16 PM »
Made shepherd's pie tonight with homegrown potatoes, peppers, tomatoes, squash and hunted deer meat.  Sure was fine!  Post your "homegrown" meals...

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
  • On a forum break :)
Re: "Homegrown" meals...
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2017, 09:45:13 PM »
Caught a fish, fried it, done!

LessIsLess

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2017, 04:09:43 PM »
I wouldn't call "hunted deer meat" as something that's "homegrown" but do get the sentiment.

Gone Fishing

• Magnum Stache
  • So Close went fishing on April 1, 2016
    • Journal
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2017, 07:18:18 PM »
I wouldn't call "hunted deer meat" as something that's "homegrown" but do get the sentiment.

They are when they eat my vegetables!

sparkytheop

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2017, 12:52:52 AM »
Didn't raise the chicken, but canned it myself.  Mixed with homemade zucchini relish (zucchini, peppers, and onions out of the garden) and mayo.  Really good, especially on homemade bread.

paul_daoust

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • My mustache is patchy in places
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2017, 11:26:40 PM »
It's a pretty empowering thing, isn't it? Today I fed six people (with enough leftovers to feed us all tomorrow) with 5lbs of potatoes and 1lb of carrots, all freshly killed, from our garden. I added some garlic and herbs (also from our garden), some lentils (from a local organic wholesaler), and some chicken stock we'd made by roasting and then boiling a chicken carcass (which had already given us two or three meals). Add an onion, a few spices, and some feta cheese. It's a traditional Greek soup; our guests loved it.

I don't just think about the money saved; equally nice to me is that all I had to do was to outside and dig my hands into the dirt rather than drive to the grocery store. Less time, more pleasurable.

iceberg8

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2017, 01:44:59 PM »
I started a compost month ago.. It motivates me to eat more fruits and vegetables, so I have more "waste" to compost. I truly believe it will give nice boost for the soil, and that it will help me to grow vegetables next year (it will be tight schedule, but faith is faith).. I know it's a lot of work, but still.. If i grow my own food, I do not need to commute, nor pay taxes from my energy (work), nor pay 20% VAT on vegetables I would buy, so its pretty much a saving scheme also (or at least overpissing the system).. Only true future reality will show,if I was right, but I am sure, I will be :)

NevermindScrooge

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • At least weird is not boring
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2017, 02:48:38 PM »
This spring I started with vermi compost in my tiny back yard. I used its bounty to grow cherry tomatoes which I used today in guacamole. The peppers/paprika are not ripe yet, but have also benefited from my wriggly friends!

Kansas Terri

• Stubble
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2017, 03:13:41 PM »
I shopped a meat sale, and along with what I bought I made a pot roast with lots of backyard carrots and potatos.

I also have a pot of green onions on the back deck for when I make omelets with the eggs from my pet chickens.