Author Topic: $2.50/Month Cell Phone Plan  (Read 2554 times)

ericrugiero

• Pencil Stache
$2.50/Month Cell Phone Plan
« on: October 13, 2020, 03:04:46 PM »
I just ordered a yearly (360 day) phone plan from Red Pocket Mobile for $30. 

This is for my kids to communicate with us when they are at practices, etc so I'm not looking for a lot of minutes or data.  They will be using my wife's old phone so there wasn't an additional cost for the phone. 

It's 200 minutes, 1000 texts and 200MB data on the Sprint network.  I can't believe we can get cell phone plans that cheap. 

CCCA

• Pencil Stache
  • born before the 80's
    • FI programming
Re: $2.50/Month Cell Phone Plan
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2020, 03:24:09 PM »
that's a great price and perfect for that use case. I'll be looking in to it when our kids need devices for basic communication.

terran

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2020, 11:40:11 AM »
Wow, that's a great price. We've been happy with the red pocket $60/year 100min/100text/500MB plan on AT&T. I didn't know that had even cheaper plans.

PVkcin

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2020, 03:40:18 PM »
That's an awesome price and good to know for when my kids are older and we start looking into cell phones for them.

I just got on red pocket for myself a few months ago. I have the $19/mo plan which is unlimited calls, unlimited texts, and something like 3GB of data. I can't even remember how much data because I never get close to my limit. I am on the verizon network which is the best network where I live. So far I have been super happy with red pocket. Glad I heard about them (on the MMM forums actually).

evme

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2020, 01:54:21 AM »
Wow, sounds like a great price. What phones are available to use with this plan? For example, I like to use a high end phone since I use it to browse the web a lot while at home using wifi.

terran

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2020, 11:04:47 PM »
Wow, sounds like a great price. What phones are available to use with this plan? For example, I like to use a high end phone since I use it to browse the web a lot while at home using wifi.

Anything that takes a SIM card and works with the network you sign up for should work. Red Pocket has plans from all 4 networks.

Queen Frugal

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2020, 10:06:20 AM »
I just ordered a yearly (360 day) phone plan from Red Pocket Mobile for $30. 

This is for my kids to communicate with us when they are at practices, etc so I'm not looking for a lot of minutes or data.  They will be using my wife's old phone so there wasn't an additional cost for the phone. 

It's 200 minutes, 1000 texts and 200MB data on the Sprint network.  I can't believe we can get cell phone plans that cheap.

I have been contemplating getting my daughter a phone plan so I looked this up. Cheapest I could find was $60 per year. Am I missing something?

Daley

• Magnum Stache
  • Still kickin', I guess.
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2020, 10:24:22 AM »
Am I missing something?

It's buried in Red Pocket's Ebay Store, and not directly listed.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/133196831828

This said, it seems unwise to try and rely on Sprint plans at this point moving forward for any length of time, as reception is only going to get worse as T-Mobile continues to farm spectrum over from Sprint and shut down "redundant" cell towers and retire the older CDMA networks. Sprint only service has been barely passable in many regions for years, and it's not going to improve without VoLTE roaming, which isn't an option for prepaid Sprint MVNOs. Just be aware that no matter the price of the deal, you're paying for a year's worth of service on a network that only has about two years of heavy attrition left to operate under before there's nothing left but 4G LTE coverage without CDMA fallback or voice roaming agreements, and Sprint's 4G footprint isn't much to write home about outside of a half dozen regions, and that's before you even consider how many redundant Sprint towers will wind up being decommissioned in already T-Mobile heavy regions during the whole process.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2020, 10:33:09 AM by Daley »

billy

• Bristles
  • fired at 39 since 2021
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2020, 08:07:45 AM »
Great deal man. I use Freedompop 1GB month for a year for $45 total, AT&T. Red pocket just bought out Freedompop, so things are changing and cost are going up.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!