Author Topic: $100+/Hr to shovel gravel  (Read 2580 times)

Alternatepriorities

• Handlebar Stache
  • Engineer, explorer, investor
    • Alternate Priorities
$100+/Hr to shovel gravel
« on: August 17, 2019, 12:36:46 AM »
I just finished a DIY concrete slab today which saved me about $2,000 compared to hiring it out. It took me way more than 20 hours to prep and pour so that wasn't $100/Hr but I did learn a lot.

I started the project by renting and mini skidsteer (an amazing tool) and removing the top soil and trying to get the slope right for the water to run away from the house. Once I had the form boards done it was clear I'd removed more gravel than I needed to but I'd already returned the skidsteer. I thought about just ordering a couple extra yards of mud and having a thicker slab... Fortunately badassity overcame laziness and I decided I shouldn't spend $150 a yard on concrete when the practically unlimited supply of gravel in the yard would be just as effective. It took me about 4 hours to dig up, haul, and spread about 3 yards of gravel. Excellent exercise too!

dougstash

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: $100+/Hr to shovel gravel
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2019, 01:29:59 PM »
Please tell me you added rebar inbetween the pictures lol. 

Alternatepriorities

• Handlebar Stache
    • Alternate Priorities
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2019, 09:03:14 AM »
I did! I did a little concrete work before I finished my engineering degree, but that's been a few years. My father has done a lot of concrete work bu insists he is retired now so supervised while my BIL and I did most of the labor on the pour. 

And it looks better now than in the last picture too which was taken between floating it. It slopes away from the house 1-1/2" and it came out within the tolerance of the laser level. The level as another mustachian win. My Father, BIL, and I split the cost three ways and share it since we all do just enough work with it to have one almost never all need it at the same time.

Raeon

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Comparison is the thief of joy
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2019, 08:59:49 PM »
Awesome! I don't know the first thing about pouring concrete but there's nothing like the joy of accomplishment mixed with the joy of saving money! Looks good.

dougstash

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2019, 07:31:49 AM »
Awesome!  I’d hate to see it crack and sink after all that hard work. I’ve been trying hard to not buy a nice rotary laser as I don’t really have a use for one yet...   

numbersgame

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2019, 06:02:30 AM »
Never done it myself but I aspire to build my own house one day. Congrats on the savings and for building something - that's a real achievement!

Alternatepriorities

• Handlebar Stache
    • Alternate Priorities
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2019, 12:14:14 PM »
Never done it myself but I aspire to build my own house one day.

That's on my bucket list as well. I've done most of the steps at one time or another, but never put them all together.