Author Topic: Your tenant left WHAT behind?  (Read 7373 times)

Gerard

• Handlebar Stache
    • Optimacheap
Your tenant left WHAT behind?
« on: September 04, 2013, 05:58:52 AM »
Just moved back into my house after a year away. My tenant/house-sitter mostly did a good job (even repaired some stuff), but they left me fifteen bags of garbage to throw away, plus a bunch of random stuff that they forgot or didn't want. I've been going through that stuff, and I just found, swear to god, a bucket of blood. I think it used to contain some kind of pickled meat.
So my question to y'all is... what's the oddest thing you've ever found that was left behind by tenants?

Basenji

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Your tenant left WHAT behind?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2013, 07:27:28 AM »
I've been going through that stuff, and I just found, swear to god, a bucket of blood.

I just did a coffee spit-take. Wow.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2013, 08:06:20 AM »
An elderly tenant that my father had (living in an old house on his farm) left behind 70+ violins, 30-40 pairs of binoculars, thousands of dollars of used lottery tickets, 20-30 ukeleles, banjos, accordians, piles of amplifiers, drums, and close to 100 guitars when he moved out.

bkru21

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2013, 08:46:16 AM »
I think it used to contain some kind of pickled meat.

LOL, you sure about that?

Nords

• Magnum Stache
    • Military Retirement & Financial Independence blog
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2013, 07:07:05 PM »
I've been going through that stuff, and I just found, swear to god, a bucket of blood. I think it used to contain some kind of pickled meat.
Human or otherwise?  Is your rental a crime scene?

Are you keeping their "cleaning" deposit?

Our last tenants left behind a thicket of home-grown banana trees.  Their idea of "removing" them was to cut them off at ground level.  It took me an entire afternoon with a mattock to complete the job.

Our new tenants have done the same, although in a location that's slightly more convenient for removal.  However they've been there for four years already, they're good tenants, we just raised the rent, and we'll probably get 3-4 more years out of them.

But our next lease is going to include a clause about banana trees...

Russ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2013, 07:18:03 PM »
Not my tenants, but the previous inhabitants of one of my dorm rooms left a bottle of vodka in the empty space of what used to be a fuse box. I didn't partake but my roommates enjoyed it.

Samsam

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2013, 07:34:15 PM »
Not my tenants, but the previous inhabitants of one of my dorm rooms left a bottle of vodka in the empty space of what used to be a fuse box. I didn't partake but my roommates enjoyed it.

I always hide a bottle of vodka/whiskey somewhere when I move out...that is funny...

tomsang

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2013, 07:50:14 PM »
Samurai sword!!  We got a call from our tenants that they found the sword in the basement. The house was a 1920's house, so I was hoping that it was from an original owner. No such luck, but it was a great hit with our Christmas white elephant exchange. Dad almost lost a finger though.

SavingMon(k)ey

• Bristles
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2013, 07:53:52 PM »
An elderly tenant that my father had (living in an old house on his farm) left behind 70+ violins, 30-40 pairs of binoculars, thousands of dollars of used lottery tickets, 20-30 ukeleles, banjos, accordians, piles of amplifiers, drums, and close to 100 guitars when he moved out.
HOLY COW! I'm a pro musician and it seems totally insane to own that many instruments (and... binoculars???) let alone leave them behind when you move out. WTH???

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2013, 02:16:22 PM »
HOLY COW! I'm a pro musician and it seems totally insane to own that many instruments (and... binoculars???) let alone leave them behind when you move out. WTH???

He was kinda crazy (hoarding) and was living in some pretty filthy conditions unfortunately.  I posted a thread (with pics) here:  https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/antimustachian-wall-of-shame-and-comedy/helped-my-dad-clean-out-an-old-hoarder%27s-place-this-weekend/

SavingMon(k)ey

• Bristles
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2013, 03:25:09 PM »

He was kinda crazy (hoarding) and was living in some pretty filthy conditions unfortunately.  I posted a thread (with pics) here:  https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/antimustachian-wall-of-shame-and-comedy/helped-my-dad-clean-out-an-old-hoarder%27s-place-this-weekend/
I get it now. It really is sad. Hoarding like that is a real disease, insanity really. Breaks my heart to see all those instruments like that!

AlmostIndependent

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2013, 04:59:41 PM »
I just found, swear to god, a bucket of blood. I think it used to contain some kind of pickled meat.

Pics or it didn't happen.

zinethstache

• Pencil Stache
  • FIREd 1/27/2017
    • My FIRE Hobby and travel blog
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2013, 10:12:56 PM »
we are working on a deal for a short sale and during the inspection I was looking through the cupboards and found some tenant pamphlets. In the pile was a cashiers check for rent from 2011...NOT DEPOSITED, very weird. There is a piano in good working condition as well. Pianos are a pain to move so some tenant left it there. If the bank accepts our offer, I already found the piano a home. DH would kill me if I ended up with 2 pianos in our house, one is enough.

Frugalady10

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2013, 04:09:15 PM »
Not me but my sister found a suitcase from the previous owner with fake breasts and testicles in it.
He was a nurse so maybe itwas for the job?

AlmostIndependent

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2013, 05:34:10 PM »
Not me but my sister found a suitcase from the previous owner with fake breasts and testicles in it.
He was a nurse so maybe itwas for the job?

Maybe to teach people to check themselves for cancer?

Gerard

• Handlebar Stache
    • Optimacheap
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2013, 07:53:46 AM »
I just found, swear to god, a bucket of blood. I think it used to contain some kind of pickled meat.
Pics or it didn't happen.

Sorry, already thrown out! It's actually not too uncommon here (Newfoundland)... a lot of older people still eat "pickled" (salt) beef:

http://www.google.ca/imgres?imgurl=http://sophnstuff.files.wordpress.com/2011/09/24.jpg&imgrefurl=http://sophnstuff.wordpress.com/2011/09/18/newfoundland-cuisine/&h=867&w=939&sz=262&tbnid=ZqLnPHpFhp18RM:&tbnh=100&tbnw=108&zoom=1&usg=__MmKbS8TIF7gFkU1sYWN64QGD2b0=&docid=rM-sMgv2CFMCWM&sa=X&ei=F4EsUqPzDcKRygG0v4GYAQ&ved=0CEwQ9QEwBQ&dur=126

...but I don't get why they would leave the bloody remains *unrefrigerated* on the kitchen floor.

mpbaker22

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2013, 11:52:05 AM »
Not my rental, but I'm on an real estate investment group email list.  I just received this email:

What a weird request, but here goes.  One of my tenants had their mother living with them.  The mother was in a wheel chair.  When I did the move out walk through, they left an artificial leg.  i was hoping to be able to done this, at least for parts, as I know these are quite costly.  Does anyone know where I can donate.  I was thinking VA or Shriners.  Any help would be appreciated.