Author Topic: Your experience with eviction moritorium  (Read 1968 times)

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
Your experience with eviction moritorium
« on: October 31, 2022, 03:00:10 PM »
I haven’t seen this topic discussed on the sub forum.

What has been your experience with evictions moratorium by local and national government due to Covid?

SeattleCPA

• Handlebar Stache
    • Evergreen Small Business
Re: Your experience with eviction moritorium
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2022, 07:56:37 AM »
I'm out in Seattle (actually a suburb) but many Seattle landlords got pretty beat up. All sorts of unintended consequences.

Example: We had an employee who rented an apartment in Seattle area to be close to good jobs for family members but family had a home in another location that they rented. When their long-time tenants moved out, they felt they could not accept the risk of renting to some new tenant given the state's eviction moratorium. So they quit their Seattle jobs, moved back "home" to save rent and keep their property.

Also out here it wasn't just property owners getting exploited by tenants and local politicians through the evictions moratorium. It's also been the tenant-friendly, fluid regulations.

GilesMM

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2022, 09:37:35 AM »
Which aspects would you like to discuss and why?

patchyfacialhair

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2022, 10:42:55 AM »
In states with extended eviction moratoriums, unpaid rent goes up and up and up and the people taking advantage of this know they won't be punished. Landlords are not given relief or assistance.

In states without moratoriums, things have gone back to normal...people paid their back rent or moved out without much drama, and occupancy remains high.

I don't have a written source nor do I care to spend too much time finding one. I'm getting this from a family member of mine works in property management in a nationwide capacity.

SeattleCPA

• Handlebar Stache
    • Evergreen Small Business
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2022, 11:42:10 AM »
BTW another story...

A neighbor of mine owns an investment property house in Palm Springs area and rents it out on a short-term basis.

That investment turned really sour when one of the short-term weekly renters used the moratorium to just "stay" in the vacation property for months. That obviously blew up the rental business for the landlord and destroyed a bunch of other families vacation plans.

Then the other part of that story: The "renters" lost their official access to the gated community where home was located after their paid-for week ended... because that's the way the security works. You're not on the approved guest list unless you've got a lease agreement.

So then "renters" just crashed through the security gate with their hummer. (I have to remark their other vehicle was apparently a Porsche.)

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2022, 01:20:14 PM »
BTW another story...

A neighbor of mine owns an investment property house in Palm Springs area and rents it out on a short-term basis.

That investment turned really sour when one of the short-term weekly renters used the moratorium to just "stay" in the vacation property for months. That obviously blew up the rental business for the landlord and destroyed a bunch of other families vacation plans.

Then the other part of that story: The "renters" lost their official access to the gated community where home was located after their paid-for week ended... because that's the way the security works. You're not on the approved guest list unless you've got a lease agreement.

So then "renters" just crashed through the security gate with their hummer. (I have to remark their other vehicle was apparently a Porsche.)
Wow!

Papa bear

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2022, 05:54:28 PM »
I had one tenant that figured out they didn’t need to pay me anymore.  They weren’t all malicious, they did apply for some local grants that paid 3 months of rent and utilities, but I was still out around 6 months rent total.  They ended up moving out per their lease terms, fortunately, and I haven’t had a problem since. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

uniwelder

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2022, 06:36:58 PM »
I had two rentals, but wasn't really affected.  In one house, the tenants kept paying as usual.  In the other house, there was a temporary lapse in payment (around April 2020), as one of the tenants had their hours cut back by 75%.  It happened at a good time, because rather than worry about payment, he helped me with some renovation work I was doing.  In the months that followed, rent payments went back to normal.

clarkfan1979

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2022, 06:50:03 PM »
I haven’t seen this topic discussed on the sub forum.

What has been your experience with evictions moratorium by local and national government due to Covid?

I have 3 rental properties (4 doors). I didn't have any lost payment or vacancy. However, due to Hawaii state of emergency I wasn't able to raise the rent for about 15 months. My step-dad previously owned a 39-unit apartment in the suburbs of Chicago. He didn't have any problems. Most of the units were 2 bed/1 bath and rented for about $1250/month.   

MoseyingAlong

• Bristles
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2022, 12:20:44 AM »
I had one rental and yeah, the tenant stopped paying.
I sent him links and info about programs for rental assistance but it doesn't seem like he applied for them.
Finally found one that the property owner could start the application. Our case was almost closed because he wasn't doing his part of the application. He finally did, after many contacts from me and the case worker. All the back rent was paid.

I think he used up his savings trying to pay rent at the beginning of the pandemic but then he just stopped trying. If he had communicated and made token payments, I would have been a pushover. I know he was working some, not his pre-pandemic amount, but some.

I terminated the lease as soon as I could and moved back in myself.

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2022, 01:07:51 AM »
We had a very positive experience. At the beginning of COVID, we chose not to raise the rent as we weren’t sure how our tenant’s income would be impacted. She’s a nurse, so we told her it was a thank you to her as a frontline worker in the fight against COVID.

Then the province implemented a rent freeze. Two years later when we were allowed to raise the rent again, we gave the standard 90-day notice. The tenant started paying the increased rent as soon as she received the notice, even though we weren’t planning to apply the rent increase until after 90 days. We tried to return her money, but she wouldn’t take it, saying that an immediate rent increase was more than fair. So basically our tenant paid us more than we had asked.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2022, 07:54:19 AM »
Which aspects would you like to discuss and why?

Let’s Talk about how landlords were screwed, and unintended consequences.

But, If you’d like to talk about what a great program it was you’re welcome to do that as well, as long as you tell me what your personal anecdotes are about why it was so great and how you as a landlord benefited.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2022, 09:22:32 PM »
There's a whole thread from last year about getting my parent's then tenant out of the unit so they could sell and move. The moratorium wasn't really an issue (though the guy tried to claim it was), more it just delayed the eviction a week or so. The judge did have the dubious honor of being one of the first in the state to deal with it in court.

Otherwise, I see the pros and cons. I'm in favor of protecting people who need protecting, and sometimes that's the tenant, sometimes its the landlord. A moratorium likely hurts just as many as it helps.

srad

• Bristles
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2022, 11:47:41 AM »
9 out of my 10 tenants continued to pay.  1 out of my 10 tenants got a new (to them) car during that same period. Want to guess which tenant did that?  And it wasn't a replacement car, it was a second car.  Both were being used and they didn't move another person in during that time.  When the moratorium ended they got served and left without incident.  While cleaning out the unit I found some of their applications, they said they have two cars, no late rent payments and their current landlords name and number was,  not mine...

What could of been done differently?  I'm a big proponent of vouchers, and in this case only, I'd of been agreeable to receiving a reduced rent anything over 50% would of been fine with me. However, Government giving out the additional unemployment checks were a solution.  My wife was in an industry that shut down for many months.  Thanks to all of the unemployment checks, she made more not working.  I'd have to assume some of my tenants whom were also out of work were in that same position as well?  All but one continued to make their payments.

PMJL34

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2022, 09:44:17 AM »
Moratorium still in place locally.

All my tenants are up to date, but I've had to work with rental assistance program multiple times and it's not fun.

Would love to evict some tenants, but I'm pretty hopeless and can't EVER imagine it happening with local laws in place for the foreseeable future. It'll be more costly and hassle than it's worth despite all the headaches.

GilesMM

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2022, 10:00:21 AM »
I think there is a lot to be said for renting to the highest quality tenants you can possibly find, even it it takes more time and effort to find them.  They will be more responsible, pay on time and less likely to cause problems in general but especially in during rare moratoria.

ca-rn

• Stubble
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2022, 02:36:25 PM »
I rent 2 units and live on the property too in a rent controlled property in Los Angeles. 

Both units became vacant during worst time to have a vacancy due to Covid, lowered rent (market flooded with rentals), took 2 months to find qualified tenants. 
Luckily, previous tenants paid on time and current tenants as well. 

But LA still has their rent increase moratorium in place with no end date!  I think LA is the only city that still has rent moratorium in place.  NYC had it for only 1 year and they are super tenant forward.

I "think" the eviction moratorium is going to end sometime next year. 

Meanwhile, property tax/utilities/maintenance/materials/insurance have gone up... Luckily I still work, live the MMM life and property is nearly paid off. 

If rent control becomes more onerous ( I'm hearing about 1) fining landlords who keep units vacant 2) can't deny due to low/bad credit) - I'll look to sell, convert into non rental or student housing? 

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!