Author Topic: Whole House Surge Protector  (Read 1022 times)

Chris Pascale

• Handlebar Stache
Whole House Surge Protector
« on: March 12, 2023, 09:09:57 PM »
About a month ago a tree root knocked out the neutral line (or something like that) to our house, leading to a surge that would not "break." Thankfully, we caught it before we had a top-to-bottom inferno on our hands.

When going to shut down the breaker box, the current could be felt through the box, and the switches were shut with a plastic bottle.

We're still in the process of dealing with our insurance and getting new kitchen appliances, ceiling fans, and other stuff, and need to get some other things replaced that were compromised, and in addition this, for $650 we are getting one of these installed: https://www.bobvila.com/articles/best-whole-house-surge-protector/

Something to consider.

chemistk

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Whole House Surge Protector
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2023, 06:18:56 AM »
Broken neutral is never, ever fun. Happened in our house as the PO's were slowly moving stuff out (it was owned by a family that lived there ~50 years, dad had died and mom was in a retirement facility), which fried a bunch of stuff - the house got a brand new super nice panel as a replacement. Stupid squirrels' gnawing on the aluminum.

One thing to consider, is that surge protectors (even the whole home ones) only last about 5 years, max. Definitely need to factor that in to the purchase and installation.

Chris Pascale

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2023, 10:13:15 AM »
Thanks for the info.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2023, 11:17:40 AM »
One thing to consider, is that surge protectors (even the whole home ones) only last about 5 years, max.

Wait, what?  I've never thought too much about surge protectors . . . and thought they were good as long as stuff was powering on.  Is there a way to test if your surge protectors are still working?

chemistk

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2023, 12:48:18 PM »
One thing to consider, is that surge protectors (even the whole home ones) only last about 5 years, max.

Wait, what?  I've never thought too much about surge protectors . . . and thought they were good as long as stuff was powering on.  Is there a way to test if your surge protectors are still working?

I'm no electrical engineer but I do have to be mindful of some sensitive work equipment, so I know the basics -

Surge protectors are rated for a specific amount of Joules -(usually a couple kW over normal electrical supply). But every time it takes a "hit", it ability to protect your electronic equipment depletes, eventually turning it into just a big fat power strip. Note that this is mostly related to run of the mill grid stuff, too - not lightning strikes.

Some surge protectors will have an indicator light on a test circuit letting you know that it thinks that it's failed, but realistically there's no wany to know whether it's failed. Most name brand protectors will have a specific warranty period that they're good for - basically accounting for the typical grid instability over time. I'd definitely consider replacing any that are older than 5 years and/or outside of the warranty window.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2023, 12:49:17 PM »
Dammit.  Sounds like I need to buy new surge protectors.

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2023, 11:32:10 AM »

I'm no electrical engineer but I do have to be mindful of some sensitive work equipment, so I know the basics -

Surge protectors are rated for a specific amount of Joules -(usually a couple kW over normal electrical supply). But every time it takes a "hit", it ability to protect your electronic equipment depletes, eventually turning it into just a big fat power strip. Note that this is mostly related to run of the mill grid stuff, too - not lightning strikes.

Some surge protectors will have an indicator light on a test circuit letting you know that it thinks that it's failed, but realistically there's no wany to know whether it's failed. Most name brand protectors will have a specific warranty period that they're good for - basically accounting for the typical grid instability over time. I'd definitely consider replacing any that are older than 5 years and/or outside of the warranty window.

Down here in the Tampa Bay Area, you'll be lucky if it lasts 3 years. Lots of lightning.
Old house had a ZapCap system installed by Tampa Electric. 2-3 years later, got a notice saying it was time for replacement, they were asking a lot to replace.
Didn't replace. Took our chances. Had an AC capacitor blow out once in 13 years.
There's a new ZapCap billing method now; instead of a single fixed price, and then having to pay replacement, there's 2 packages, each has a decent install charge and low monthly maintenance fee. (https://www.tampaelectric.com/residential/start-service/surge-protection/)
I'm looking into the basic system as I have a pool system in addition to the usual home appliances and AC system.

Duke03

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2023, 12:52:27 PM »
All I know about Surge Protectors is that my buddy who is an Electrician is constantly on my butt to let him put one on my house.  He's basically offering to do it at cost so I should probably let him go ahead and get one.. He did some panel maintenance last year for me and won't shut up about it lol. Thanks for reminding me I'll call him now.

Swish

• Stubble
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2023, 12:08:06 AM »
Too funny this is a post on here. I was literally asking my electrician about this last week. I cannot believe it is not code for all new builds in our area. We have an absurd amount of electronics that could be wiped out based on one failure point.