Author Topic: Who would like a house for 1 Euro in Italy (Sicily)?  (Read 4768 times)

DrJohn

• 5 O'Clock Shadow

gimp

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Who would like a house for 1 Euro in Italy (Sicily)?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2014, 03:18:22 PM »
You can get them in Detroit, too. I'd say the strings attached are pretty similar. Except there's less shooting in Sicily, but probably about the same amount of not talking to cops if it happens. :)

daverobev

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2014, 03:23:46 PM »
'Free' except for the few k Euros bond to make sure you renovate, the few k Euros land transfer tax or whatever, and the €28k + in renovations...

Yup.

I mean, it's cool, but free? Not really.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2014, 04:15:31 PM »
If we were FI, We'd be on the next plane over!

daverobev

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2014, 06:16:07 PM »
If we were FI, We'd be on the next plane over!

PDF mentions you need to be Italian or an EU citizen.

Hmm... I guess if my other house sells I *could* do it, actually!

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2014, 06:55:07 PM »
True, but the article mentions some have already sold to Americans. One can dream :) Although, there are lots of properties for super cheap all over Italy right now. Always fun to look!

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2014, 07:26:45 PM »
We have houses like that in St. Louis,

And now, pretty soon, Ferguson.

thedayisbrave

• Pencil Stache
  • CFO @ My Life
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2014, 08:01:19 PM »
Sounds just like the sort of crazy ass thing I'd do! ;)

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2014, 11:55:09 AM »
While I always brushed this off here in the states, this sounds tempting.  I guess I just assume that place can't be as bad as Detroit to actually live in.

Article notes:
Through a newsletter she sends out to clients, she has already had interest from four British couples as well as Swedes, Americans and Russians.
"The people of Gangi want to attract foreigners to the town because they want to bring in new life," Ms Wester told The Telegraph.

So I wonder how flexible they are on the citizenship thing.

Total of maybe $50k after renovations, fees, etc. doesn't seem terrible.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

KingCoin

• Pencil Stache
  • Achieved FI @ 30
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2014, 05:30:51 PM »
""The houses need new roofs and floors, you'd need to put in electricity, water and sewerage and re-plaster them at the end of it all. I reckon it would cost about €35,000 per property."

€150,000 later.....

You can get yourself a nice condo in Florida or Barcelona for less than what it would cost you to get mired in one of these fixer-uppers in a podunk town in Sicily.

I'd almost be more enticed if they were priced at €10,000 or €20,000.  At €0, that implies to me they're worth much less than that.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2014, 09:03:50 PM »
""The houses need new roofs and floors, you'd need to put in electricity, water and sewerage and re-plaster them at the end of it all. I reckon it would cost about €35,000 per property."

€150,000 later.....

You can get yourself a nice condo in Florida or Barcelona for less than what it would cost you to get mired in one of these fixer-uppers in a podunk town in Sicily.

I'd almost be more enticed if they were priced at €10,000 or €20,000.  At €0, that implies to me they're worth much less than that.

I'm not as concerned about the cost (I'd guess more like 50k), as getting reliable labor...
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.