Author Topic: Which markets still have favorable numbers?  (Read 2235 times)

Rbuckyfuller

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Which markets still have favorable numbers?
« on: December 01, 2014, 06:58:47 PM »
I have a lot of capital and I've invested substantially in the stock market and I wanted to diversify into real-estate.  However, I recognize that I am getting into this rather late in the game and that home prices have gone up a lot since 2009.

Are there still markets out there that have favorable numbers?  If so, which ones?

My plan is to pay a management company but to be involved in finding and selecting the property.  Since that is material to costs, I thought I should mention it.

exstrax

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Which markets still have favorable numbers?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2014, 06:46:34 AM »
Philly and the surrounding areas still have good numbers. It's not as easy as it was a few years ago but you can still find deals.

Poorman

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2014, 12:31:23 PM »
My guess is there are favorable markets in every state in the US, but you need to really put in the time and do the research.  For instance, a lot of people think that California is devoid of good deals, but I just scored a duplex that meets the 2% rule, so it can be done.  Join up with your local RE investor club on Meetup and find out what strategies investors in your area are using.  Since you have cash to invest, but maybe not the detailed knowledge, one idea might be to partner with somebody that is doing deals and get a return on your money while also getting an education.

zoltani

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2014, 02:35:36 PM »
Yes, I agree with poorman, there are lots of markets with favorable numbers. You will have to do your own research and due diligence to find those. It is part of investing and you will learn a ton.   

Bobberth

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2014, 03:46:20 PM »
I saw this today.  The blue areas look like areas I've seen mentioned as good cash flowing areas.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/11/20/middle-class-homes_n_6194850.html

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2014, 10:01:53 AM »
Which markets still have favorable numbers?

You are asking the wrong question.

What you really need to know is "Which markets are best for me personally given my goals?"

And to answer that, we'd need to know a lot more about your situation and goals.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!