Author Topic: where to live in US if working remote?  (Read 1409 times)

Kevin Aster Tin Obin

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
where to live in US if working remote?
« on: September 19, 2018, 09:40:59 PM »
If you were trying to stash away cash for early retirement, or maybe already FIRE and looking to relocate, where would you live in lower 48?
 If your employer said you could work remote with a great salary and live anywhere in lower 48, where would it be?  Would it have to be in a no-income tax state?  if not why not? 

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
Re: where to live in US if working remote?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2018, 09:48:02 PM »
Depended on my goals. Personally, I am not a "FIRE at all costs" sort. I am not doing ERE. I have no problems with those who do, certainly, but I prefer being close to family and friends, the outdoor activities I enjoy, an environment I enjoy. I try to economize within those bounds.

So, are you gunning for ER as hard as you can? Do you have a family or spouse/partner? What do they want? What's the ultimate goal AFTER retirement?

patchyfacialhair

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2018, 08:59:58 AM »
I'd say close to family and friends.

ER is important (that's why we're all here) and it's an admirable goal, but if the difference was living a few hours away to save 4% on taxes with no friends, versus living near (nice) family with a 4% state tax rate and decent cost of living, I'd choose the second every time.

waltworks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2018, 09:15:03 AM »
Yeah, without knowing what the goal here is, it's impossible to say. Fastest ER? Live in the tiniest shittiest apartment you can find in the cheapest poorest part of TX with no state income tax. Don't leave your apartment except to shop for beans, rice, and MREs. Alternately just order MREs from Amazon. Work 18 hours a day. Pile up $ as you turn pasty white and develop a health condition...

Sounds horrible to me. If you don't know where you want to live ("Tahoe and work from the lift and get 100+ days in!", "NYC and hit every Broadway show!", "Ceuse and drink fine wine every night, finally send an 8b!") I sort of wonder what sort of life you want to have after you're FIRE. You must have outside interests, friends, family, weather/climate preferences, etc, right? Right?

Forget money for a second and decide what you want to do with your life. This is a preview of what you will have to figure out once you are FIREd.

-W

Dancin'Dog

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2018, 09:21:12 AM »
You could choose to live in an RV and live everywhere.  Follow the weather, hang with family for a while, live at the coast a while, then the mountains or maybe the desert. 

Or maybe you like boats?

FIRE@50

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2018, 10:40:16 AM »
I would look at the income tax rate, but it wouldn't be near the top of the list of considerations. My concerns would be schools, weather, recreational opportunities, political climate.

I come from a large family that has been spread out my entire life, so I don't really factor that in.

LifeHappens

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2018, 10:45:45 AM »
I am a remote worker. My DH and I chose to move to Florida because we like hot weather and water. No state income taxes honestly didn't play a role in our decision. Overall cost of living and cost of housing near water did.

I did move away from my family, who are still in the upper Midwest. It's hard. I have young nieces and nephews and my parents are aging. We visit for a month every summer and every other Christmas, which helps. I also do lots of mail, phone calls, texts and video chats.

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2018, 12:00:40 PM »
This totally depends on what you want and like and what weight you put on all of them.  Do you have any strong preferences on weather?  Do you have any family or friends you want to stay close to?  How important are taxes and COL vs quality of life?  Do want to live in the city or the country?  Are you single and looking for a dating scene?  Do you have a family and want good schools?  Etc. etc.  Then how big is each of those issues to you?

You'd have to give us way more detail on what you're looking for for us to say.

Or are you looking for people to tell you where they personally would like to live?

YK-Phil

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2018, 12:52:35 PM »
Van (or RV) life, well-designed and equipped for remote work. Warm areas in winter, cool areas in summer. Regular incursions in Mexico, and why not further south. Chose a state with low taxes and where it is simple to register the vehicle without being physically there (South Dakota?).