Author Topic: where are you buying now?  (Read 2240 times)

stachejr

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
where are you buying now?
« on: November 16, 2014, 10:01:47 PM »
hi. what cities have any of you found properties and purchased recently that met the 1% rule , and perhaps even a 1.5+ % rule recently in the US or canada? 

have you been able to keep expenses below 40% including amortized expenses for roofs , boilers,etc?

Handlebar Harry

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: where are you buying now?
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2014, 06:49:43 AM »
This is a very broad question, but Dallas/Fort Worth area is a great place to start. It looks like you may be a little late to the party in that area now, but there are some good deals hidden there. You can still find cheap properties (may need a little work) that could demand a high enough rent to meet the standard rental rules.Great economy, with a high presence of health care and aerospace companies. It also has nationally acclaimed higher education.

What areas of the country are you looking at?

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2014, 07:44:22 PM »
hi. what cities have any of you found properties and purchased recently that met the 1% rule , and perhaps even a 1.5+ % rule recently in the US or canada? 

have you been able to keep expenses below 40% including amortized expenses for roofs , boilers,etc?

Anything in the midwest hits that, and is good for cash flow, but probably not much appreciation potential.

I wouldn't solely be buying on a 1-2% rule.  It should be A factor, but not THE factor.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

clarkfan1979

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2014, 10:11:15 AM »

Anything in the midwest hits that, and is good for cash flow, but probably not much appreciation potential.

I wouldn't solely be buying on a 1-2% rule.  It should be A factor, but not THE factor.

Agreed. 1%-2% should not be the only factor. I like a little bit of cash flow with a little bit of appreciation. I like to look at social factors. Do people like living in the area? Is the population increasing or decreasing? Local employment opportunities? Don't be afraid to go against the grain a little. If you are looking for a place that lots of other people like and approve of then you will be paying more for it due to demand.

When I moved to Florida to buy a house in 2011 most people told me that I was nuts.