Author Topic: What Vehicle are you driving? - Investors/Landlords  (Read 4312 times)

KarefulKactus15

• Handlebar Stache
What Vehicle are you driving? - Investors/Landlords
« on: April 23, 2017, 07:43:17 AM »
Guys,

Im curious what vehicles everyone has found to be practical for your real estate endeavors.  ( Dont worry, I wont tell the people on the main forum)

So far I've always made due by having large items delivered or renting a home depot / uhaul truck. 

All I have at the moment is 2 small cars that my company provides, but I cant add roof rack or tow with them.

The only reason I've recently started questioning my vehicles is because I'm purchasing a live in flip type deal.  I think my traditional methods will be just fine for transportation, but Im still curious what vehicles everyone else has found to be optimal.             

maradits

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: What Vehicle are you driving? - Investors/Landlords
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2017, 08:12:33 AM »
Ford ranger!

I've a few of them over the years and they are (in my opinion) the best bang for your buck for this kind of situation.  They are extremely cheap, reliable, and get fair gas mileage (ideally 5 speed 4 banger.)  I have mine as a second vehicle and have used it for anything you can imagine for working on rehab houses.  Hauling appliances, 1000 pounds of scrap metal, sheets of drywall, a hot tub, and even a yard of dirt once (not sure if I'd do that again though..) 

You can make side money moving stuff for people with it as a side hustle too.  I've moved a ton of furniture, appliances, motorcycles, etc.  I help friends and family without any expectation of anything in return, but it's handy for making extra money on craigslist deals.

KarefulKactus15

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2017, 10:34:30 AM »
I had a ranger once, sold it to a family member.  Was a good Lil truck.     I shouldn't say this but I hauled 2020lbs of asphalt in the bed once.   The guy was loading with a bobcat and it looked like maybe 500lbs.   Found out it was a ton when I got on the scales lol.    I remember the steering having a delay cause the rear was so overloaded.   Very unsafe, will never do again. 

Thanks for sharing the ranger recommendation.  Also much cheaper then Tacoma lol.

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2017, 10:38:27 AM »
We drive our Nissan Leaf on most service calls, if all you need is tools.

We have an SUV we take if we need ladders or lumber.  It has successfully held dishwashers and washing machines, too.

What's bigger than that?  If I needed a fridge or roofing materials, I'd probably have them delivered.

For taking large items away from houses, I use craigslist.  People bring their own trucks right to your door, and then pay you for the privilege.

Car Jack

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2017, 06:58:23 PM »
For taking large items away from houses, I use craigslist.  People bring their own trucks right to your door, and then pay you for the privilege.

This is SO true!  I've kidded with all the crap I've sold on CL that I'm going to put on "bag of hair" next.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2017, 08:08:03 PM »
My wife has a car with a hatch-back with a small bed in it.   I can put a good bit in there with some tie-downs and the back-seats folded down.

If I need more stuff hauled, or just big stuff, I use one of these:

http://www.harborfreight.com/1090-lb-capacity-40-12-in-x-48-in-utility-trailer-62645.html

It's a trailer that folds up so it doesn't take up so much space when it's not in use.   Costs between $200 and $300, depending on whether you buy it on sale.   It cost about $250 to put a trailer hitch on my sedan, another $150 for a forever license tag for it, insurance is included with my car, and another $100 or so for plywood, lumber for the railings, and carriage bolts.

I can carry a pretty decent sized load of stuff with it and it's very maneuverable.  In fact, it's so easy to tow it's easy to forget you're pulling it, which has been the only problem I've had with it.   Well, except that I learned the forever tags are quickly stolen from the trailer in the parking lot at the hardware store.  (I now put the tag in the rear window of the car towing it after it cost me about $30 to get a replacement tag.)

If I had a huge load of stuff I pay Lowes or Home Depot to deliver it.  If it's that much lumber I would rather pay someone $80 to load and unload it for me.  (I'm no spring chicken!)

That trailer, all told, cost less than $1000 and will keep me from spending thousands and thousands of dollars on pickup trucks, low gas mileage, higher insurance costs, etc.  It's slightly less convenient than a pickup truck, but only barely.  I only live a couple of miles from Lowes, etc.

I wouldn't recommend it to everyone, but it works great for us.

KarefulKactus15

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2017, 03:51:53 AM »
I like the trailer setup.   I think some people have the version that can fold and be stored vertical in a garage.

Papa bear

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2017, 05:23:20 AM »
Wishing I still had my minivan every time I head out for a repair.  Will be getting one again in the next year or 2. 

Currently use a mid size sedan for small jobs, or grab my wife's small SUV with trailer hitch for bigger stuff.  I've been making due, but I don't have to like it. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stachetastic

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2017, 06:09:16 AM »
I'll own up to having a facepunch-worthy vehicle for our rentals. We have a 2001 Chevy 2500HD, used for pulling our pop up camper, hauling firewood, and endless DIY projects for the properties. Yes, it is overkill. But I think we paid $2500 for it three years ago and it has done everything we needed and then some. It is an old beater that is not a daily driver, so gas usage isn't too terrible.

The rest of our fleet consists of a 2004 Corolla and a 2007 Civic.

Bobberth

• Bristles
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2017, 09:19:40 AM »
I have a Scion xB that I try to take to my rentals as much as possible because of the gas mileage. Most things can be fixed with my tool bag and a bag of parts from the store. For larger items, sadly, we have two F-150s. My father-in-law passed away in 2004 so we inherited his 1998 truck. I keep this one with the topper off for hauling mulch/dirt etc. It's mainly stored at my in-laws and I would really like to sell it but I have been lazy/fearful it would need work to sell.  The other truck is a 1999 F-150 of my Dad's. My Dad lost 90%+ of his vision 8 years ago so I have been "borrowing" it since then as he didn't want to give it up since trucks were such a part of his life in rural Kansas. This is also why I have kept the 98 truck so long, the 99 was 'my Dad's' and I was just borrowing it because they didn't have room to park it at their house. He finally came around and I just recently purchased it from him for $1,000. This one is a nicer version than the 98 version and I keep the topper on it and I absolutely love having it. Most of my trips to home stores are between 9-10pm so it's nice to have that flexibility of not returning a truck. I can store things in it for awhile and not worry about it getting wet. I can bring home 16' baseboards as the topper works as a lumber rack and my 17' kayak fits great on it. I know it won't be for everybody, but I love having a truck. Since it is a 3rd vehicle and a 1999, ownership costs are low.

KarefulKactus15

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2017, 09:57:30 AM »
I'll own up to having a facepunch-worthy vehicle for our rentals. We have a 2001 Chevy 2500HD, used for pulling our pop up camper, hauling firewood, and endless DIY projects for the properties. Yes, it is overkill. But I think we paid $2500 for it three years ago and it has done everything we needed and then some. It is an old beater that is not a daily driver, so gas usage isn't too terrible.

A 2500hd?  We both know there's nothing that can't be done with a bicycle!    I'm kidding of course.   

I'd actually like a cheap beater truck of that size in gas, not diesel .

KarefulKactus15

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2017, 10:01:44 AM »
I have a Scion xB that I try to take to my rentals as much as possible because of the gas mileage. Most things can be fixed with my tool bag and a bag of parts from the store. For larger items, sadly, we have two F-150s. My father-in-law passed away in 2004 so we inherited his 1998 truck. I keep this one with the topper off for hauling mulch/dirt etc. It's mainly stored at my in-laws and I would really like to sell it but I have been lazy/fearful it would need work to sell.  The other truck is a 1999 F-150 of my Dad's. My Dad lost 90%+ of his vision 8 years ago so I have been "borrowing" it since then as he didn't want to give it up since trucks were such a part of his life in rural Kansas. This is also why I have kept the 98 truck so long, the 99 was 'my Dad's' and I was just borrowing it because they didn't have room to park it at their house. He finally came around and I just recently purchased it from him for $1,000. This one is a nicer version than the 98 version and I keep the topper on it and I absolutely love having it. Most of my trips to home stores are between 9-10pm so it's nice to have that flexibility of not returning a truck. I can store things in it for awhile and not worry about it getting wet. I can bring home 16' baseboards as the topper works as a lumber rack and my 17' kayak fits great on it. I know it won't be for everybody, but I love having a truck. Since it is a 3rd vehicle and a 1999, ownership costs are low.

I had never considered the issue of buying large items at home Depot near closing time.     It's manageable, but still an inconvenience I had not considered.  I can see myself sprinting out to buy a new water heater after work with no way to haul it.

Stachetastic

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2017, 11:55:55 AM »

A 2500hd?  We both know there's nothing that can't be done with a bicycle!    I'm kidding of course.   

I'd actually like a cheap beater truck of that size in gas, not diesel .

Ours is gas. My husband drools over diesel trucks, but for 2500 bucks, you take what you can get.

Also, our local home improvement stores do not offer truck rental. I'd love to live in a city that offered that!

KarefulKactus15

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2017, 01:48:52 PM »
I prefer gas over diesel.  Easier to troubleshoot, less special tools.    And a heck of a lot cheaper.    People pay insane amounts for old Ford f250s with the 7.3 in my area.

Bobberth

• Bristles
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2017, 10:28:37 AM »

I had never considered the issue of buying large items at home Depot near closing time.     It's manageable, but still an inconvenience I had not considered.  I can see myself sprinting out to buy a new water heater after work with no way to haul it.

If I'm working on properties after work, I usually get to them around 6pm and if things aren't too pressing, I wrap up around 9pm as it takes 40 minutes to drive home. That gives me time to stop by the store and pick up anything large or small I would need for the next day. I hate to stop on my way to working on the properties as that is wasting time I could be working while still feeling good. If I'm at home and going to need something the next day, I will put the kids to bed and then head out to the store. The 9-10 time frame is an efficiency thing. I can stop by a home store on my way to work but that makes getting the kids ready for school more hectic. Plus it's nice that there are not many people in the store that late and check out it generally faster with no/minimal lines. Again, all of these things can be overcome with other solutions but for the cost of ownership of my truck, it's a bargain in my eyes.

Jane Antony

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2017, 04:49:46 AM »
For investors, I think big vehicles are the best. I would serve the purpose also.

hoping2retire35

• Handlebar Stache
  • just want to see where this appears
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2017, 10:41:48 AM »
2003 e150, passenger. bought for the kids, hauling large trailer, and of course tools, washer/dryers etc.

most of the time though it is a box of tools in the tiny trunk of my bmw z3.

and yes, I from time to time find myself drooling on craigslist at overpriced diesels.

Enough

• Stubble
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2017, 12:52:16 PM »
Honda Fit which is the daily driver takes care of 90+% of transportation for landlording.  I have a 94 Dodge 1500 for anything over 8' in length or bulk.  I usually fill the truck up with gas 1.5x per year.

KarefulKactus15

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2017, 01:53:38 PM »
Honda Fit which is the daily driver takes care of 90+% of transportation for landlording.  I have a 94 Dodge 1500 for anything over 8' in length or bulk.  I usually fill the truck up with gas 1.5x per year.

I wanted a Honda fit when I first got out of college.  My mom talked me out of it because "I'd never find a girlfriend" driving that.....        They appear to be very versatile for their size.   

Unfortunately on Craigslist, they are all salvage it seems.

paddedhat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2017, 04:27:09 PM »

I wanted a Honda fit when I first got out of college.  My mom talked me out of it because "I'd never find a girlfriend" driving that.....        They appear to be very versatile for their size.   

Unfortunately on Craigslist, they are all salvage it seems.

Not totally clear on this? Does "salvage" apply to Fits or girlfriends?  Is shopping for a girlfriend on CL a smart move?  Do these women  come with a salvage certificate, or branded title?  Sorry, but I couldn't pass this one up, LOL.  On a serious note, if you are using your truck so little that it's being fueled up every 6-8 months, you might want to put some "Star-Tron" or other fuel stabilizer in the tank. Personally, I would even pay the extra to fuel it with ethanol free gas if it's an option in your area. Vehicles that are nearly a quarter century old, and not used often, don't do well with our current high ethanol fuels. Hate to see you suffer from damaged rubber fuel system parts and varnishing inside the tank and carb. since it's easy to avoid.

Alim Nassor

• Stubble
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2017, 04:06:23 AM »
2003 Ford Ranger.   If I need to haul something that wont fit in the bed, I have a small utility trailer.

maradits

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2017, 10:27:47 AM »

Yes.  I actually have a 2009 fit I picked up used recently for $3500.  I get 43-44 mpg according to the dash display and mixed use driving.  I still have my ranger that I use for hauling bulkier stuff.

side note, when adding a second vehicle my current insurance company gave me a ridiculous quote.  I shopped around and was able to find a different company to insure both vehicles for LESS than just the ranger was costing on my previous policy.