Author Topic: What brand and finish of interior paint do you like?  (Read 3322 times)

Loretta

• Pencil Stache
What brand and finish of interior paint do you like?
« on: October 03, 2018, 05:16:43 PM »
For the DIY landlords who have imperfect walls, what brand and finish of interior paint do you like best to make the walls look smooth and not so banged up?  I bought a place that was not so gently lived in I guess. 

Do you guys like Kilz for primer?  I had thought primer was a rip-off in the past but now I’m not so sure.

whitewaterchica

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: What brand and finish of interior paint do you like?
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2018, 12:21:54 PM »
I love Benjamin Moore paints. Well worth the extra few dollars per gallon (in my humble opinion).

I've painted two homes top to bottom with Regal Select interior paint. A flat finish will hide many sins. https://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/interior-exterior-paints-stains/product-catalog/rswip/regal-select-interior-paint.

Kilz primer is excellent.

Papa bear

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2018, 01:26:05 PM »
So I used to be all about behr, but haven’t had as good of results lately.  Still using it though.  I use flat paint for the walls and semigloss if trim is painted. 

Flat for the walls because it’s a lot easier to repaint. I hate prepping a satin/eggshell every few years. 

As for primer, Kilz is good, though I like zinssner primer a bit better.  I had better luck with chipping when trying to paint less than paintable objects. Otherwise interchangeable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

frugalone

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Single and Enjoying the FIRE
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2018, 01:35:14 PM »
Absolutely FLAT finish.   Not really stuck on a brand.

Penelope Vandergast

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2018, 09:50:42 PM »
The Habitat for Humanity ReStore here has recycled paint, Amazon brand (not the giant online store) in an array of standard colors. Flat only. I am using some now and it seems fine. $15/gallon.

SuburbanNerd

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2018, 02:29:38 PM »
Is this your home or a rental? If it is the former, We went with Benjamin Moore paints.

The finish depends on the room. Living rooms, bedrooms, and hallways tend to be flat or egg shell. Maybe a Matte.

Bathroom and kitchen tend to be some sort of gloss finish.

If it is a rental, go with flats and semi gloss. neutral tones. My dad swore by Navajo white for halls and bedrooms and pure white for bathrooms and kitchens. Pop wasn't what you'd call "fashionable"

smoghat

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2018, 12:44:31 AM »
Benjamin Moore Regal Select Chantilly Lace, matte.

tralfamadorian

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2018, 08:34:58 AM »
Home and high end rentals- benjamin moore flat for imperfect walls, eggshell for even walls (lasts longer than flat and scuffs can be cleaned instead of painted) and semi-gloss for trim and doors. Simply white for walls, pure white for trim in rentals. Nicest rentals get a fashionable color (dove grey at the moment) for bathrooms.

I only use Kilz if there is an odor problem with the walls (previous occupants smoked, for example).

Fishindude

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2018, 10:40:32 AM »
I really think all of the major brand latex paints are decent paint.  Prefer a flat finish for most areas as it hides imperfections, and a satin finish in restrooms and kitchens where you might have to wipe down walls, plus it resists moisture better.

KarefulKactus15

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2018, 05:22:57 AM »
Another vote for Benjamin.

Also Warren Buffet owns a large portion of the company... So you know it's good lol....

In all seriousness, I tried other brands but Benjamin provides the best value for me in terms of install labor cost and durability.

joenorm

• Stubble
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2018, 06:31:51 PM »
Benjamin Moore all the way. Good paint is worth the money.

Flat shows less flaws but hard to clean. Always Flat on the ceiling. Walls usually have at least a bit of sheen so they can be cleaned.

MayDay

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2018, 07:23:22 PM »
I love Sherwin Williams.

I work in the industry and have nothing about good to say both at work and using at home.

Duration is amazing if you (or someone) is inhabiting it right after painting.

Flat higes imperfections better but is worse for scrubbing. I use a glossier finish on my house because I want to be able to scrub it.

Henrysmom1

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2018, 08:51:40 PM »
Late to the party, but Benjamin Moore hands down. Regal flat for walls, semi gloss for trim. Like Simply or Dove white. Or even a light greige like Balboa Mist. For personal residence, Aura. Just bit the bullet and painted entire interior of my house in Aura and its gorgeous. Easy to see why it’s expensive. I’ve used every other major brand through the years and always regret when I don’t use BM.

MaikoTsumi

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2019, 01:40:12 PM »
I used flat for my first couple of properties(Satin for kitchen and baths).  Everyone said it would be easier on touch up. Unfortunately, the need for touch up, and overall painting increased.  Flat attracts and holds onto stains.  I've switched to eggshell and have seen less painting maintenance required.

ilsy

• Stubble
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2019, 12:18:11 AM »
I don't care about the brand of paint, stain, or primer, whichever is on sale or the cheapest. It seems that no matter what brand you use, you need two coats, so why overpay? If I need to touch up some paint, I buy the same brand as the original.
A few cents about primer. Primer prevents mold and rust and covers imperfections. I don't like to get paint pre-mixed with primer, in my opinion it creates more work long term, the paint flakes off after a few seasons (outdoor paint), primer needs time to dry. But I haven't used all paints with primer, so, my opinion might change. You absolutely need to prime walls if you have skim coated them or used joint compound on them to patch holes and such. If you don't prime, your walls will have "flashing" after you paint them - painters term to describe the thing.

Drole

• Stubble
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2019, 03:07:52 AM »
Kilz helps but for those oily walls next to beds and stuff, it is tough. 

For best colors on nicer places, Pittsburgh paints.  You pay, but they have a beautiful box of colors for architects/designers. 

I prefer something with some sheen for high use areas (baths/kitchens) because they are more wipe-able than Flat paint.

If you can move towards all units having the same colors and trims....way better than the paint can farm I have.

Loretta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2020, 10:50:35 AM »
I'm getting more serious about painting my place with Benjamin Moore paint.  I visited my local BM shop and the owner advised that an eggshell finish in a brighter color (Aura format) would be good for my older, imperfect walls.  Next is to pick a color, which is not so easy when there are so many lovely choices.  I plan to move in 7 years when I retire, so I am hoping this next paint choice can look good until 2027.  That may be too much to ask though, I know.   

I have never outsourced the painting for a home that I was actually living in, so if anyone has any hints or tips for that particular scenario, Id appreciate it.  I have been freecycling a lot of furniture and houseware the last few weeks so that will help at painting time. 

LiveLean

• Pencil Stache
    • ToLiveLean
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2020, 11:26:32 AM »
As a kid, my mom would draft me into painting many rooms of our homes. (Unfortunately, we moved several times, more painting). We always used Sherwin Williams.

As a young homeowner, I got into the (bad) habit of getting paint from Home Depot and Lowe's. Big mistake. A few years ago, I bought a second home/rental and inherited a lot of leftover Sherwin Williams paint and was reminded of how good the stuff is. The previous homeowner is a home remodeler.

No more big box paint.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2020, 11:41:26 AM »
I use Sherwin Williams paint (buy on sale/get a coupon). More expensive yes, but good quality.

Prior to that, I was using Valspar from Lowe's. I'd still be using it except that the semi-gloss really didn't cure properly. 3 years later, it still feels tacky. Their flat and eggshell were fine.

I've also used Benjamin Moore a bit with no real objections.

Flat on ceilings. Trim is semi-gloss or gloss (your preference). Walls I do eggshell or equivalent. Bathrooms - gets kicked up a notch on the sheen so it's better with the moisture. Haven't figured out the kitchen yet.

Whatever you use, proper prep is essential.

MissPeach

• Bristles
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2020, 11:49:27 AM »
I usually hate flat paints because they can be hard to scrub. Where I'm renting now they did the entire house including the doors in flat paint. That's why you usually see eggshell or something for doors, bathrooms and kitchens.

Behr has something called flat enamel which is supposed to be a durable as something with more gloss. I had used it a long time ago and it was find but haven't tried it recently. I go with eggshell personally as a compromise in looks/durability. I last used them 2 years or so ago.

I haven't yet tried Benjamin Moore but I like their colors.

KarefulKactus15

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2020, 09:42:50 AM »
I will never use Sherman William again. Not my local store any way.

They were incredibly rude and unhelpful and almost beliddled me as a non commercial customer. It's almost as if I wasn't welcome or wanted as a low volume buyer.

Now my old Benjamin Moore store was amazing but there isn't one near me any more.  I used some Lowe's top grade stuff last time and will live with whatever consequences before I give my money to a rude Sherwin Williams store

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2020, 11:27:28 AM »
I trust Consumer Reports and Behr Ultra at HD gets a high rating for interior paint. Flat for walls, semi-gloss for doors.

Zinsser for priming though Kilz is fine too.

It's very possible that Behr changed their formula -- they change it all the time -- after Consumer Reports bought their test paint.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2020, 11:29:41 AM by bacchi »

NorCal

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2020, 11:35:05 AM »
+1 for the Habitat for Humanity recycled paint. It works as well as others (in my personal experience), is environmentally friendly, and supports a good organization.