Author Topic: What are you expecting for appreciation each year in big cities like NY, SF, LA?  (Read 1767 times)

andysandp

• Stubble
Curious for those that buy in Seattle, Boston, NYC, SF, LA and other big cities.

What are you expecting for compounded appreciation for the next 10 years, 20 years, and 30 years? 

Another Reader

• Walrus Stache
Within 30 years, there's a very good chance of a major earthquake in the Bay Area.  In general, my expectation is for the Bay Area to outperform most other areas of the country over the next 30 years, barring that pesky earthquake.

Thedudeabides

• Stubble
Within 30 years, there's a very good chance of a major earthquake in the Bay Area.  In general, my expectation is for the Bay Area to outperform most other areas of the country over the next 30 years, barring that pesky earthquake.

Financial Samurai just had a great post showing how undervalued San Francisco is relative to other international cities. It is a very good read: http://www.financialsamurai.com/why-is-united-states-property-so-cheap/

Lagom

• Handlebar Stache
If you choose to landlord in such a city, just do me and my kind a favor and be a responsible/ethical one. Fix shit when it breaks, don't nitpick your tenants over every little thing, and keep your rent on the low(ish) end of "market value." Do these things (and be as strict as you like with tenant screening) and I guarantee you'll easily find rock-soild tenants who will give you little to no issues and will be happy to stick around through your (appropriate but not exploitative) rent increases for many years.