Author Topic: The Condo Conversion, RTA Cabinets and So Much More...  (Read 36402 times)

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • only good pies and no bad pies -mspym
Re: The Condo Conversion, RTA Cabinets and So Much More...
« Reply #250 on: January 08, 2023, 08:44:00 PM »
Such an exciting time! Hope the final touches are done smoothly and to your satisfaction.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #251 on: January 08, 2023, 11:17:11 PM »
Hahaha! Nothing is ever smooth. DH pulled the dent out of the side of the washer/dryer tower. Once it was erm, somewhat less noticeable, we had the opportunity to finally notice the ding right on the front of the unit!! Oh well, it is what it is and we got a hell of a price on it. Next up: installation - easy peasy right? Yeah, sure. It took DH and BK all freaking day to get it done, but it looks great. it is super quiet and is very sleek looking.

[Photos in separate post below.]

If you follow my journal, you might remember we did a move-out for one of our tenants. I kept everything I thought BK would need and and donated the rest. The boxes have been stacked in our garage since last April. We finally unpacked it all and BK has almost everything he needs to get started. There were a couple of things he didn't have (trash cans, for example). Every time, he just whipped out his phone and ordered it. Hmmm, I decided he needed one of those Elfa Pantry Door set-ups (waving to @couponvan, our Elfa Queen). I figured he could just go ahead and order that on his phone, too, so he did and we didn't have to pay for it. Should have thought of that a long time ago, right?

I finally got every dam shelf lined and thought I was finished. There are only scraps of paper left. Um, totally forgot about the entertainment center in the living room. BK ordered some of the ribbed plastic lining (on his dime) and we'll get that done asap. It goes in much faster than wallpaper.

We also took a better look at the two wool rugs we got for $20 via NextDoor and they are very nice. We're going to clean them at our house first, so they won't go in for a few more days, but I think they're going to be great.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2023, 11:35:17 PM by Dicey »

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #252 on: January 08, 2023, 11:38:05 PM »
Here you go. Bonus: you can get a glimpse of the wallpaper in the background.

couponvan

• Walrus Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #253 on: January 09, 2023, 08:34:10 PM »
Very nice! I think accessible back on washer/dryers will become a thing someday. That is truly a tight space. Excellent job with the challenge completion. BK is problem solving and spending some of his own $$-adulting at its finest. The over door Elfa is the one thing I DON’t have. Alas, I have the knock-off version.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #254 on: January 11, 2023, 11:07:16 PM »
Okay folks, it's Money Time. We're still waiting on a couple of items to be delivered/installed (mainly curtain rods). We spent the day cleaning up, so we decided to sit down and review our expenses tonight.

Our original construction budget spreadsheet total was $25,895.

Our actual expenses were $26,008.81

HOWEVER: The second number includes everything we spent, including furnishings! PLUS - We have lots of leftover flooring. DH thinks he can get $1,000 for it. He has a black belt in Craigslist, so I expect he will. For now, I have ignored that possibility. Until the weather improves, those 25 boxes of flooring will continue to take up floorspace in our garage.

We are pleased as punch.

We had 119 separate expenses, and we can't be bothered with categorizing every single thing (some of the Home Depot receipts are very long), so we have an accurate total, but I'm not going to break it down. We went over on countertops by $500 and the cabinets were about $2000 more than we guesstimated, primarily because we kept adding cabinets. Happily, we had budgeted $2500 for windows, which we decided weren't needed.

Still to do: DH is going to make and install one more shelf in the kitchen from scrap materials. Then he will sand and stain the free dining table and chairs with materials we've already paid for. We'll do that while we wait for the things that are due to be delivered on Friday, then we'll move Bonus Kid in over the weekend, if it ever stops raining.

Oh, and the cool CB2 bar stools I scored on Craigslist for $80 each (Retail $299 each - what??) were too tall. Happily, DH was able to cut them down and they look great.

There will be more pictures soon-ish.

Thanks for coming along, we hope you enjoyed the ride. Hmmm, what can we do next?
« Last Edit: January 12, 2023, 07:56:16 AM by Dicey »

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #255 on: January 11, 2023, 11:37:12 PM »
Your budget forecast was amazing! 😲

You don't happen to want an apprentice on your next job, do you? ;)

Ladychips

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #256 on: January 12, 2023, 05:25:07 AM »
Can't wait for pictures!!

couponvan

• Walrus Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #257 on: January 12, 2023, 09:11:04 AM »
Impressive! So you will be $1K under budget if you sell that flooring! Nice. I hope BK is appreciative of the efforts. Maybe hubs next project will be condo painting for poor old people….with assistance from other MMM people. Painting is on my list for my mother’s condo. Also new baseboards/door trim. She doesn’t mind her baseboards, but I really do.

Or maybe more RV traveling for you and the husband is in order now that you have time!

PMJL34

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #258 on: January 13, 2023, 09:10:05 AM »
Great job Dicey! I really appreciate all the nitty gritty stuff including pictures and costs :)

Catbert

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #259 on: January 13, 2023, 11:32:46 AM »
Very impressed that you were able to budget so accurately.  And more importantly, stuck to the budget!  I can't wait for the final pictures.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #260 on: January 14, 2023, 07:26:44 AM »
The curtain rods arrived late this afternoon. Alas, we were dealing with a dead water heater at our house, so no progress was made at the Condo today.

When compiling our expenses, something seemed off with the appliance purchase. I gathered the receipts and payment information and stopped by the store yesterday. Yup, we were overcharged by $200, plus tax. Credit has been issued. I'll revise the total when I have the exact number. Boring, buck saving busywork for the win!

monarda

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #261 on: January 14, 2023, 08:53:28 AM »
Are you gonna get a heat pump water heater to replace your dead one? Water heater and dehumidifier in one! And efficient!

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #262 on: January 17, 2023, 01:14:35 PM »
Kitchen befores:

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #263 on: January 17, 2023, 01:33:08 PM »
Afters, in roughly the same order:

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #264 on: January 17, 2023, 01:34:00 PM »
Part 2:

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #265 on: January 17, 2023, 01:41:36 PM »
If you've followed my journal, you may remember that DH always has a scrap of a song on his lips, frequently with mis-heard words. He's been singing about Delta Dawn's " 'painted' rose from days gone by" a lot lately. He doesn't often repeat a song, but now I know why. Love that man!

ETA: What makes this even funnier is the randomness of the pairing. The sink was left over from a reno project we finished in 2019. I tried to sell it several times and had no takers. The faucet is just one DH found for a good price. Crazy.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2023, 05:57:44 PM by Dicey »

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #266 on: January 17, 2023, 01:55:41 PM »
The photos look great! Well done, team Dicey.

couponvan

• Walrus Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #267 on: January 17, 2023, 04:34:51 PM »
Beautifully executed. The pull out drawers are going to be so much more functional than cabinets. It all looks amazing!

Allie

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #268 on: January 17, 2023, 05:47:54 PM »
Those look so great!  I LOVE the backplash!

Ladychips

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #269 on: January 17, 2023, 06:53:46 PM »
I also love the backsplash.  But I particularly love that you removed the overhead cabinets above the sink

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #270 on: January 17, 2023, 08:12:50 PM »
Gorgeous! Adding storage to the utility closet door is really smart. And I can't help but think of how closely the dishwasher door swings out in front of the under-sink cabinets. That shows the skill and thought that went into the design.

Shinplaster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #271 on: January 17, 2023, 08:52:00 PM »
Super!   So much thought into every square inch.

iluvzbeach

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #272 on: January 17, 2023, 08:56:28 PM »
Looks so nice and I agree that removing the cabinets above the sink was a great idea to really open up the space. BK is so lucky to have you and DH as dad & stepmom.

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #273 on: January 17, 2023, 11:00:48 PM »
Fantastic job!

Sandi_k

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #274 on: January 17, 2023, 11:26:23 PM »
"Delta Dawn" cracks me up - my mom had a Helen Reddy 8 track tape when I was a kid, and I sang every single song on it - including Delta Dawn - with fervor. ;)

I "wowed" when I saw the oven door clearance from the under-sink cabinet, and applaud the "over door" rack in the water heater closet. Smart.

I love the removal of the upper cabinets - much more sociable and a lot more light into the kitchen. And the way that the LVP continues from the kitchen towards the dining nook - I assume the dining nook is also LVP?

You guys managed a neutral palette without making it painfully boring over the current overdone gray and black and white - the countertop color helps with that. LOVE the countertop. Small but much more functional with an undermount sink.

I hope BK gives you both big kudos and love for this - it's astonishing.

Wanna come do my kitchen now?! DH just got a new 60g 5 hp air compressor installed, and all the tools are already on site! ;)
« Last Edit: January 18, 2023, 12:29:17 PM by Sandi_k »

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #275 on: January 18, 2023, 12:21:42 AM »
Thanks everyone. Showing enthusiasm is not something BK does easily*, so I very much appreciate your kind words. I'll post more pictures soon. I have a few more storage solution photos and of course, wallpaper pictures for @Shinplaster.

*We know he likes it, but he's also nervous about leaving his familiar place. It's a process.

lhamo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #276 on: January 18, 2023, 05:37:59 AM »
Fabulous!

So, when I buy my next house, which may well be a fixer upper, will you guys come up and help me renovate?  I'll be sure to get a place that has room for you to park your rig ;)

Sandi_k

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #277 on: January 18, 2023, 12:30:27 PM »
Fabulous!

So, when I buy my next house, which may well be a fixer upper, will you guys come up and help me renovate?  I'll be sure to get a place that has room for you to park your rig ;)

Hey, hey! I asked first! And she can go home and sleep in her own bed in 30 minutes if she gets homesick! ;)

couponvan

• Walrus Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #278 on: January 18, 2023, 02:49:29 PM »
Hey, I think I asked before any of you all - like when I toured the previous project.  Mr. Dicey could be quite busy in retirement.  My mom is in desperate need of a repaint.  But I'm going to take a video and show Dicey the house situation when I SEE HER IN PERSON.  So excited that our plans might work out.

feelingroovy

• Bristles
« Reply #279 on: January 18, 2023, 05:11:44 PM »
That's an amazing transformation.

Prairie Gal

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #280 on: January 19, 2023, 07:41:42 AM »
The condo looks great! BK is indeed very lucky.

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #281 on: January 19, 2023, 11:47:08 AM »
Hey, I think I asked before any of you all - like when I toured the previous project.  Mr. Dicey could be quite busy in retirement.  My mom is in desperate need of a repaint.  But I'm going to take a video and show Dicey the house situation when I SEE HER IN PERSON.  So excited that our plans might work out.
It’s amazing to see them in person! Just fantastic.

Hadilly

• Bristles
« Reply #282 on: January 19, 2023, 01:35:20 PM »
Congratulations! What beautiful results from your joint hard work!!!!

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #283 on: January 19, 2023, 06:09:28 PM »
Okay, here are some more kitchen photos. Today's theme is Maximizing Storage. You've seen some of them, like the Elfa rack over the utility door. (What's not clear in that photo: DH had to router out a slot on the top of the door and a section of the overhead door trim behind the door to allow the to door close. We also had to move the magnetic latch. Other than that, it was a snap...just like the video on the Container Store site, hahaha.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2023, 06:32:03 PM by Dicey »

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #284 on: January 19, 2023, 06:18:12 PM »
Next up, the pantry. This was tricky too, because, of course. Once it was installed, we knew something wasn't right. See the strip at the bottom of each cupboard? That's just how these RTAs are made. It meant that only tiny spice jars would fit there. Uh, we just spent money making a spice cabinet somewhere else, that's not what is needed here. We ended up shimming the bottom shelf to raise it level with the face frame. Then I used leftover wallpaper to hide the hack.* This allowed normal size cans and jars to fit. On the upper shelves, that support strip doesn't exist, so the shelves are a bit wider for larger things (like Costco seasonings jars). Except...the shelves won't fit where the hinges are - argh! We ended up positioning the shelves as you see in the attached photo. The jars are just random sizes I grabbed from our pantry. On the bottom, we decided to give up a shelf in order to accommodate taller items. It's not for cleaning supplies, again, those are just placeholders.

*I realize this is hard to visualize and remembered I had more pictures, so I'll add them below.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2023, 06:38:07 PM by Dicey »

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #285 on: January 19, 2023, 06:29:00 PM »
And our last installment for today is a work in progress. Actually, it's done, but I don't have a final picture. In the "before" pictures, what looks like a long upper cabinet is only camouflage for the duct that led to the dining room. Without the bridge blocking the airflow, we felt we didn't need a vent in the dining room. The place is so compact, one in the kitchen is enough. DH moved the duct and repositioned the grille, allowing us to use taller uppers, which were needed to replace the space lost by removing the hated bridge. He did this by creating a custom cabinet, so that's what you see above the fridge. All good, right? Nope. We have a leftover shelf, so we can install it above the salad spinner for another foot or two of storage. So that's been done, but you'll just have to imagine until I get over there again.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #286 on: January 19, 2023, 06:45:12 PM »
The best part of this pantry hack is the material shown in photo 2 came from a Free Pile offered on NextDoor. DH thought it might come in handy and it sure did. We used it to make the bottom shelf flush with the face frame, which gave us just enough room for the space to be useful, as you can see in the photo above.

SpinWave0704

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #287 on: January 19, 2023, 06:47:05 PM »
@Dicey I'm bookmarking this journal and taking notes, and use this for inspiration if I buy a condo in the future. What an amazing transformation!

In the "K Storage 2.jpg" picture, why did you choose upper shelves that are not regular rectangular shelves? Is it to allow for taller bottles and such?
« Last Edit: January 20, 2023, 02:45:25 PM by SpinWave0704 »

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #288 on: January 19, 2023, 06:53:16 PM »
@Dicey I'm bookmarking this journal and taking notes, and use this for inspiration if I buy a condo in the future. What an amazing transformation!

In the "K Storage 2.jpg" picture, why did you choose upper shelves that are not regular rectangular shelves? Is it to allow for taller bottles and such?
That's an adjustable plastic insert called a "Spicy Shelf" (as seen on TV, most likely). We found it whilst looking for more efficient storage for small spice bottles. I would have moved the shelf above it down a notch, but the hinge is in the way. One of the drawbacks of RTA cabinets. BTW, everything in that cabinet came from the rental house we packed up after our tenant moved. Well, except for the shelf itself. Amazon provided that. For a fee, of course.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #289 on: January 19, 2023, 10:28:46 PM »
My orginization-loving heart is going pitty-pat. Love the spicy shelf, love the tiny shallow pantry (and hack to make it more useful).

iluvzbeach

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #290 on: January 19, 2023, 10:56:52 PM »
I can vouch for the spicy shelf. Bought one (it is definitely an “As seen on TV”) 4-5 years ago at Bed Bath & Beyond and I love it. It comes with tons of pieces and you build it to suit your space. It looks just as beautiful (from an organizational perspective) as the day I put it together and it’s functional to boot. If you can get your hands on one, I recommend it.

Catbert

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #291 on: January 20, 2023, 11:38:27 AM »
Wow, Dicey.  I'm impressed.  As others have noted it's neutral without being blah and the color scheme should age well.   

Does BK cook much?  Somehow I envision him as needing one plate, one cereal bowl and flatware for one.  Plus a refrigerator containing OJ and butter.  I'm probably just stereotyping men in their early 20s.  Even if he doesn't use all the space it'll be good for resale or maybe when a girl/boyfriend who cooks shows up in his life.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #292 on: January 20, 2023, 01:40:20 PM »
He knows how to cook. When his grandmother was living with us, they used to watch the Food Network together. When we're out of town for an extended period, I notice that he orders groceries via Amazon. He also orders ingredients and makes his own lunches on a semi-regular basis.

If a solid Someone Special showed up in his life, we'd be thrilled.

PMJL34

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #293 on: January 21, 2023, 11:05:52 PM »
Looks amazing Dicey! You and hubby are super generous. Hope BK can appreciate all of this and take great care of the home for many years to come :)

sourdough

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #294 on: January 22, 2023, 11:30:38 AM »
This thread is so full go good ideas.  I lurk here often since we are doing some DIY work in our home as well.

The tip about using leftover wallpaper as a shelf/drawer liner is especially genius!

Thanks for all the great ideas and inspiration herein.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #295 on: January 22, 2023, 06:03:49 PM »
Thanks, everyone. Yeah, removable wallpaper is way cheaper than shelf liner, which is incredibly overpriced...

Paging @Shinplaster. It's wallpaper time...

Since BK has been working insane hours, he's not fully moved in yet, which provided me the opportunity to host a somewhat impromptu meet-up with @couponvan, @One Day and @Sandi_k. We had a fun morning checking the place out, then hanging together. Meeting Forum Friends IRL is always fun. I highly recommend it!

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #296 on: January 22, 2023, 06:41:59 PM »
That is looking so good!!!!

Agreed. Meeting forum friends is absolutely the bees knees!

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #297 on: January 22, 2023, 07:37:53 PM »
For 700 sq ft, it feels roomy and open. There is a ton of storage throughout, not just in the kitchen, which is where some of the most clever examples are. The layout (which the Dicey's are mostly not responsible for, but have made some tweaks to make the most of) is interesting (IMO) vs boring* and also quite livable. The neutral palette can remain as-is for a calming feeling or punched up with whatever color(s) of choice. And the attention to detail is unrivaled, from crisp wallpaper edges at corners to the size of the dishwasher!

10/10 I'd live there.

*A lot of smaller places are basically a bedroom, bathroom and large open concept living/dining/kitchen...which to me is boring because if you are not in bed, you are in one dang room all the time.

Shinplaster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #298 on: January 22, 2023, 08:35:14 PM »
The whole place looks terrific!   I hope my wallpaper looks as good on the wall as yours.   It looks exactly as I hoped it would - thanks for doing it first so I know what to look forward to.   : )

lhamo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #299 on: January 23, 2023, 06:38:21 AM »
If DD gets into/decides to go to Berkeley maybe we can buy a place in this complex! I'd just copy everything you did.  Looks fabulous.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!