Author Topic: Vinyl flooring or laminate for rentals?  (Read 4726 times)

Bearded Man

• Handlebar Stache
Vinyl flooring or laminate for rentals?
« on: August 17, 2015, 10:04:04 AM »
I just bought another house and am also turning one of my other rentals as well.

So I just bought a few cases of this peel and stick DIY vinyl flooring for the kitchen and bath at the rental:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Armstrong-Stylistik-II-12-in-x-12-in-Bodden-Bay-Peel-and-Stick-Vinyl-Tile-Flooring-45-sq-ft-case-26291061/100493366

When I was there I noticed they had other styles that would be good for living and or bedrooms as well:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/TrafficMASTER-Deluxe-12-in-x-12-in-Redwood-Solid-Vinyl-Tile-30-sq-ft-case-62331/100353906

Looks like laminate flooring is actually cheaper and from seeing it in 2 of my rentals, performs well: http://www.homedepot.com/p/TrafficMASTER-Glenwood-Oak-7-mm-Thick-x-7-3-4-in-Wide-x-50-5-8-in-Length-Laminate-Flooring-24-52-sq-ft-case-HL706/204349970

Seems like laminate would be easier to install as you just put the pieces together on the floor, the only hard part is cutting the pieces for the walls, so I'd have to buy a skill saw as well for about $50

The thing I like about the vinyl though is that I can cut it with an exacto knife, just peel and stick.

CashFlowDiaries

• Stubble
  • Follow me on my journey to Financial Freedom!
    • Cash Flow Diaries
Re: Vinyl flooring or laminate for rentals?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2015, 10:25:40 AM »
I use vinyl plank flooring.  You install it just like laminate, there is no glue or anything.  Its a floating floor, looks amazing and is better then laminate because its a lot more resistant to water then laminate.

You can find good deals typically on it on lumber liquidators.   Check it out!

fishnfool

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2015, 05:50:52 PM »
I also laid a interlocking vinyl plank floor in our rentals kitchen and dining area. It was about double the price of the peel and stick but hopefully it'll last longer. I didn't like many of the reviews on the peel and stick. Some said it popped up and had to be reglued, also chips easier. But either way the vinyl is a superior product to laminate in a wet kitchen environment.

Bobberth

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2015, 02:40:20 PM »
I've used the peel and stick in a couple of properties.  Mixed reviews.  I just had to replace 90 sqft of it in a rental but then I just had a turn that the previous tenant lived there for 3.5 years and it was fine so I think it was more tenant specific that it didn't hold up.  I always install it with additional glue, never just peel and stick.

I use vinyl plank over laminate.  Laminate has MDF backing which warps when exposed to water.  Definitely not for kitchen and baths.  I don't trust tenants enough to use it anywhere though.

Bearded Man

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2015, 08:42:06 AM »
Any tips on installation of peel and stick vinyl squares? Do I need to remove the floor boards in the kitchen (more work, could potentially break when prying off) or can I just go right to the edge?

Same for toilet/bath. I've had to take the toilet off before, dirty and time consuming job not to mention heavy. Can I just go around the toilet and caulk? Alternatively, maybe I can just lift the toilet and set it on a few pegs of wood just high enough so I can get the laminate under after cutting it.

Should I start in the bathroom and then do the kitchen? That was my original plan sinc the bathroom is smaller and I can see what the finished job looks like with one package and only be out a little bit of money. Then again, the bathroom is also the hardest job due to the amount of cutting for such a small space, the toilet, etc.

Mother Fussbudget

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2015, 11:50:07 AM »
I think it's easier to disconnect the toilet, and move it out of the way. 

But you *can* do a similar "lift-and-shift" technique with the baseboards.  Gently pry them up far enough to push the leading edge of the stick-on tiles underneath.  Score a line on the tile backing paper 0.5-to-1inch from the edge, shove the tiles under the baseboards with the backing in-place.  Once the edge is firmly under the baseboard, gently bend the new tiles upward, remove 95% of the backing, (leaving the 0.5in-to-1inch of backing held down by the baseboards) and press the tiles down.  You may need to re-seat the baseboards downward when finished.

fishnfool

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2015, 07:35:00 PM »
Yeah it all depends on how nice you want your new floor to look. You might be able to get by without removing the baseboard, maybe use 1/4 round moulding along baseboard is recommended.
Once you lift the toilet and break the wax ring seal you might as well remove it completely out of the way, reinstall with new flange bolts a wax seal to avoid a leak.

lr

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2015, 11:59:56 PM »
I read that vinyl flooring is supposed to be especially bad for health (especially kids') and the environment generally.

NoNonsenseLandlord

• Bristles
    • No Nonsense Landlord
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2015, 07:15:31 AM »
Laminate all the way.  I use laminate from Sam's club, with the padding pre-attached.  I have also used Allure vinyl tiles.  The Allure is a 3' x 12" piece, that glues the edges of the tile together.  It is a free floating floor.

clarkfan1979

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2015, 03:18:37 AM »
I've used vinyl tiles in a bathroom and it has lasted 8 years so far. No complaints from me.

train_writer

• Stubble
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2015, 04:19:49 AM »
It doesn't matter much, but please invest in a good base floor with sound cancelling qualities!

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2015, 04:15:17 PM »
I read that vinyl flooring is supposed to be especially bad for health (especially kids') and the environment generally.
Care to cite your source? I'd hazard a guess (pun intended) that this is true about the majority of the stuff we put into our houses, at least when the material is new. In fact, building houses at all is probably bad for the environment, but how does this help the OP answer his question?

My answer? Anything that's easy for you to put down in little squares is probably too easy for your tenant or your tenant's kid or your tenant's dog to pull up. Hope that helps :-).

lr

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2015, 10:59:29 PM »
You're right, I could have been more helpful but didn't have the time to look into it more. Here's a debate on the hazards (or not) of vinyl flooring:

Vinyl is Lethal: http://www.greenbuildingadvisor.com/blogs/dept/green-building-blog/procon-vinyl-lethal
Vinyl is Green: http://www.greenbuildingadvisor.com/blogs/dept/green-building-blog/procon-vinyl-green-0

adamcollin

• Stubble
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2015, 01:07:08 AM »
I used sheet vinyl in my living room...it's good option because it's durable, easy to clean and cushioned.

Bearded Man

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2015, 10:46:09 PM »
Care to cite your source? I'd hazard a guess (pun intended) that this is true about the majority of the stuff we put into our houses, at least when the material is new. In fact, building houses at all is probably bad for the environment, but how does this help the OP answer his question?

My answer? Anything that's easy for you to put down in little squares is probably too easy for your tenant or your tenant's kid or your tenant's dog to pull up. Hope that helps :-).

Well put.