Author Topic: using Craigslist for finding apartments in Europe  (Read 4296 times)

rob in cal

• Bristles
using Craigslist for finding apartments in Europe
« on: December 04, 2014, 11:06:17 AM »
I've been researching for future trips to Europe after or when we are close to FIRE.  I'd like to stay in one place for awhile and noticed that Craigslist has some pretty attractive prices for furnished apartments in places like Munich, Nice, Vienna and elsewhere.  People on some travel discussion forums are pretty skeptical about Craigslist overseas and there are some horror stories out there about western union scams etc. In our case we'd be in the city first and then try to find a rental.  I'm wondering if anyone  here has any experience with finding apartments through Craigslist outside of the US.

zoltani

Re: using Craigslist for finding apartments in Europe
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2014, 12:28:05 PM »
Europe is a big place, with different rules for each country. In which country would you like to rent?

IME in France craigslist was worthless. I would look elsewhere.

sammybiker

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2014, 12:29:32 PM »
I'm a huge fan of AIRBNB and related sites.  I've used them several times, world wide.

Better yet, prices CAN be negotiated below their set list price, especially if you're in an off-season.  Message the host and open the discussion.

zoltani

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2014, 12:34:21 PM »
How long is awhile?

Sorry, I was under the impression you were going for conventional rentals rather than vacation rentals.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2014, 01:01:32 PM »
+1 on AirBnB for short term rentals (yes, a month or two is short term).
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

rob in cal

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2014, 01:04:20 PM »
I was thinking about rentals for a month or so in each place.  I'm interested in Germany and Austria, plus places along the Mediterranean in France, Italy or Spain. I'm thinking about doing annual trips to Europe in the summers where we might stay in two or three places as "home bases" and explore areas around there.  I do realize there is the 90 day Schengen law, so probably no more than 90 days at once.
Airbnb does look pretty good, but often the ads on Craigslist for at least Munich and Vienna looked really nice price wise, and some did say they were available for a month.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2014, 01:32:32 PM »
I was thinking about rentals for a month or so in each place.  I'm interested in Germany and Austria, plus places along the Mediterranean in France, Italy or Spain. I'm thinking about doing annual trips to Europe in the summers where we might stay in two or three places as "home bases" and explore areas around there.  I do realize there is the 90 day Schengen law, so probably no more than 90 days at once.
Airbnb does look pretty good, but often the ads on Craigslist for at least Munich and Vienna looked really nice price wise, and some did say they were available for a month.

Seriously, go look on AirBnB right now for the places you're thinking.  You'll get lost in all the listings, and the cheapness.  :)
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Johnny Aloha

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2014, 06:21:36 AM »
Definitely use AirBnB.  Great places super cheap.

If you stay somewhere longer term, just remember EVERYTHING is negotiable ... unlike what I was used to in the states. 

D.williams

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2014, 12:25:17 PM »
I'm a huge fan of AIRBNB and related sites.  I've used them several times, world wide.

Better yet, prices CAN be negotiated below their set list price, especially if you're in an off-season.  Message the host and open the discussion.

I can't speak from experience, but I know a few people who have used AIRBNB successfully.

GoldenStache

• Stubble
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2014, 08:08:27 AM »
I tried the Craigslist route.. Contacted probably 30 different people and everyone was a scam. 
Just send me your CC and I will mail you the keys, show up and give me cash and I will drop off the keys the next day.

If you are in the area and are willing to do the foot work, give it a try.  If you are planning on doing it just over the net, use a service.

thedayisbrave

• Pencil Stache
  • CFO @ My Life
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2014, 03:15:46 PM »
AirBnB.  Seriously. 

You could also try Hostelworld (hostelworld.com) but in all honesty that's likely to be more expensive if you are staying in one place for more than a week or two.  Quality of the hostel is also a bit in question... but really nice ones do exist.  If you'll be doing any traveling in Budapest, I can recommend one that I stayed in that were literally penthouse apartments that were converted into hostel rentals.  Essentially my friends and I rented a sweet private (!!!) penthouse apartment overlooking the St. Stephen's Basilica and square for 15 euro a night each.  Unbeatable.

Also, some countries have vacation rental sites.  Used one for a longer stay in France (4 months) and just worked it out with the owner.  He discounted the price slightly and in return he had a guaranteed tenant for 4 months in the off-season... win win for both of us.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2014, 03:17:18 PM by thedayisbrave »

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!