Author Topic: Using a broker a mistake?  (Read 1957 times)

Bearded Man

• Handlebar Stache
Using a broker a mistake?
« on: June 06, 2014, 08:23:04 AM »
I am buying my third house, though this is only the second one that I will have financed. Last time I was new to the financing game so I used a broker that had great review online.

I am curious, is this a mistake? I am not sure if I am paying a ton more fees by doing this rather than just going through my bank (Bank of America, which has a poor reputation with most [though I've never had a single problem with them])

Nice thing about this broker is he can close on impossible deadlines. He get's things done and he is quite consultative and easy to work with.

Hamster

• Pencil Stache
Re: Using a broker a mistake?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2014, 08:32:59 AM »
You can always talk to the bank as well and just compare what they are offering.

Bearded Man

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2014, 08:52:37 AM »
I did that, and I actually got a better rate through the broker. BoA wanted 4.5% at the time, about 2 years ago. I was able to get a 3.25% FHA loan through my broker and 4% conventional if I wanted to. Where the bank came in better was willing to reduce the fees saving me 1-3 K from what I remember. But it was a higher interest rate so...

I chose FHA due to lower interest and minimum down payment. I was one of the last ones to get grandfathered in for no PMI after 5 years with minimum (3.5%) down. Now anything less than 10% carries PMI for the life of the FHA loan.

I purposely chose to put minimum down since my cash on cash return is higher and I have enough cash left to put 25% down on 3 more houses.

I guess I could shop around myself, and I did apply with a credit union as well, but their communication was so poor, I did not realize I was approved until I had already closed escrow. Using a broker seems to be for the convenience of one stop shopping for the best deal, yeah?

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2014, 09:04:42 AM »
I am not sure if I am paying a ton more fees by doing this rather than just going through my bank

You can always talk to the bank as well and just compare what they are offering.

I did that, and I actually got a better rate through the broker.

I'm not sure why you're worried you're paying a bunch more if you compared them... what am I missing?

For future reference, get a GFE (Good Faith Estimate) from any potential lenders to compare total cost apples-to-apples, it's a quite standard format that you'll easily be able to use to compare everything (counting fees added in, so if one has a lower rate but higher fees, you can appropriately compare it).
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.