Author Topic: Uneven floor+Water problems= deal breaker?  (Read 1434 times)

tennisray

• Stubble
Uneven floor+Water problems= deal breaker?
« on: April 25, 2014, 08:23:21 PM »
Hi,
My wife and I have been looking to sell our "too large" home in an HOA and find a smaller home.  We are in the suburbs of Atlanta and live in a home built in 2001.  We found a 1967 ranch home that is on a nice bit of land, but it is a fixer-upper.  We don't mind putting in some work, but when we went to look at the house for the 2nd time, we noticed that the floor is uneven in a lot of places. The current owners have linoleum throughout the house.

The house has a basement and when we looked up at the joists, we couldn't see anything wrong (however, we don't really know what to look for). 

Also, on the seller disclosure, they marked that the basement "gets some water in the corners of the basement after continuous heavy rain". 

My question is: are these deal-breakers, or are these issues that I could have checked out (maybe structural engineer) and fixed (drains around the house foundation to keep water away"?  If it just ripping out and replacing the subfloor, I'm ok with that, but if there is an underlying structural issue, I'd stay away.  I'm just not sure how/when I'd figure that out.