Author Topic: Trashing outdoor play set prior to selling home  (Read 7109 times)

Workinghard

• Pencil Stache
Trashing outdoor play set prior to selling home
« on: July 25, 2015, 01:27:21 PM »
Our home is on close to an acre lot. We have a small fenced area outside of our swimming pool/cage area. It contains a wood play set with two slides, one spiral, and is getting a little worse for wear and is over 10 years old. It leans a little and probably isn't safe. Should we tear it down prior to listing or keep it for its staging effect? The fence is chain linked and probably would look strange with nothing in it. Our home is 4 BR so I expect it will appeal to someone with kids.

fishnfool

• Bristles
Re: Trashing outdoor play set prior to selling home
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2015, 03:57:29 PM »
It sounds like a liability and if it were mine I'd remove it asap prior to selling. The new prospective buyers can use their imagination as to what they'd like to see in that space.

Good luck with your sale!

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2015, 04:12:44 PM »
Ask your realtor.  I'd be inclined to leave it for the showings (unless it looks bad) and have the agent tell people you'll remove it before the sale.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2015, 04:13:17 PM »
Don't trash it - Craigslist it. people pay good money for those, and if its cheap, they can buy wood to fix it. We got ours from a coworker who was on the buying end of your situation (Photo taken mid-reno when we redid the backyard):

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2015, 05:19:22 PM »
It sounds like a liability and if it were mine I'd remove it asap prior to selling. The new prospective buyers can use their imagination as to what they'd like to see in that space.

Good luck with your sale!

Once the property is sold, any liability would transfer to the buyers. It would be up to the buyers to fix it up or not use it or take the risk.

OP, it's hard to tell without knowing how rickety it is, what it looks like, etc. Your realtor (if you're using one) should be able to give you a sense of whether it's a plus, minus, or doesn't matter.

Workinghard

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2015, 06:02:03 PM »
Thanks for the replies. I'll take a couple of pictures tomorrow and try to post them.  Kinda unfair to ask for opinions sight unseen.

Workinghard

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2015, 12:33:05 PM »
Posting a picture.

Workinghard

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2015, 12:35:56 PM »
Trying again. Not sure why I have to "slide" the photo vs the whole thing showing up.

Workinghard

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2015, 12:37:41 PM »
Sorry for the duplicates. Sigh

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2015, 12:43:36 PM »
That's an amazing gravity-defying playset. You ought to sell it to some university physics department so they can research it's ability to hang upside down like that.

It's really hard to tell from the image you posted, but it looks fine to me.

matchewed

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2015, 12:53:23 PM »
That's an amazing gravity-defying playset. You ought to sell it to some university physics department so they can research it's ability to hang upside down like that.

Pshh... just nailed it to the grass. It's obvious.

Workinghard

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2015, 12:54:59 PM »
Actually I stood on my head when I took the pictures. Lol. They looked right side up when I first posted. Ugh. I guess I can add technically impaired to my directionally impaired problems.

Okay, when I click on the picture, on my iPad it's right side up and I can scroll the pic to see different parts. Obviously the problem isn't me or my lack of ability. :P
« Last Edit: July 26, 2015, 12:57:18 PM by Workinghard »

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2015, 01:00:26 PM »

Pshh... just nailed it to the grass. It's obvious.

Ah, and the swings are held up by magnets under the grass. Genius!

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2015, 01:26:06 PM »
On a more serious note...

Slide = $50 - 100 - Sell it separate to maximize returns.
Remaining swingset - $150 as is - $200 if you stain it.

You could stretch your luck and ask for more, but around here thats about what you'll get. Buyer to remove it etc. If you have a pre-moving yard sale, drag it up for the sale.

SUP

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2015, 04:30:27 PM »
You will get more out of it by listing it for sale and letting someone come remove it. Leaving it in place is not a bad option either. It doesn't add value to the home but it doesn't hurt either. It is not a liability in a sale. If you were going to rent then I would say get rid of it now, but in this case don't trash it.

Workinghard

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2015, 05:09:50 PM »
Thanks for the input. Not looking to sell it per se or make money on it. Just didn't know if it would be a detriment with selling. I can clean it up and slap some Thompson water sealer on it to make it look a
little better. Can't do much about the leaning. New owners can trash or keep the slides if they want.

MayDay

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2015, 06:26:16 AM »
We just sold our 4 bedroom house complete with rickety playset (which we bought used for about 200$ from a neighbor!).

It's stain was beyond awful and it leaned a bit, but the slide was solid, and we didn't feel it was unsafe.  The new owners have 3 young kids and the playset was a selling point.

On the other hand our previous house had a really nice new one, and we sold it on CL for 800$ since the house was smaller and less likely to appeal to families.

Dee18

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2015, 06:39:17 AM »
I had a similar, though a bit newer, set like that when I sold my last house.  I thoroughly cleaned it and then purchased a new awning for the "fort" for about $25 at Home Depot.  It was way at the back if the yard, but looked really cute from the kitchen window.

Workinghard

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2015, 09:48:04 AM »
Nice to hear from the BTDT people in a similar situation. Thanks!

Once of the nice things about our house is being able to see the pool and playground from the kitchen, dining, and rec room. Makes it easy to keep an eye on the kids.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2015, 09:51:12 AM by Workinghard »

TreeTired

• Bristles
  • I think we can make it (We made it!)
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2015, 10:11:48 AM »
when my pics are inexp(l)icably turned I just turn them back. And if they are too big I shrink them.

Here is yours:  (I would keep it -  maybe wash it)

Workinghard

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2015, 10:15:04 AM »
Thank you! It was my first attempt with an attachment. At least people had fun with my picture. :P I was trying to do it from my iPad. It might have been easier to do it with my phone.

Fodder

• Stubble
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2015, 02:19:25 PM »
I would leave it.  Wash it up a little bit, maybe tighten bolts or add some if it needs it, but keep it.  A four-bedroom house will definitely appeal to families and a set like that would be appealing as well.  I'd see if a little elbow grease would make it more appealing.

Workinghard

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2015, 09:21:07 AM »
Thanks, Fodder, I was thinking the same thing whereas my dh was thinking it should be trashed. I looked at it as staging although I would replace it if I was a new owner.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2015, 01:24:58 PM »
Take off the swings and slides, get a bottle of Navy Rum, some Coke, and a can of cheap stain, and have at'er.

The next morning it will look way better, and you'll have had a good time doing it. Plus its easier than washing or anything.

Workinghard

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2015, 01:43:06 PM »
Sounds good minus the rum. Lol