Author Topic: Traffic Noise  (Read 2508 times)

mustachioso

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Traffic Noise
« on: November 23, 2014, 05:22:04 PM »
Wondering if anyone can speak to the effect of traffic noise on a home's value?
Considering buying a home that backs up to a very busy road (10 ft wall blocks much of the noise except motorcycles / police sirens / etc) and it's also close enough to a freeway that there is some constant white noise.

From the comps in the area I'd say they're factoring in the road noise at about a $15k discount, does that seem reasonable?

Also, what can be done about the noise? I've heard adding dual pane vinyl windows will cut the noise and adding a water feature can drown out the white noise.

clarkfan1979

• Magnum Stache
Re: Traffic Noise
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2014, 04:27:15 AM »
People seem to be more tolerable in So Cal with traffic noise because they don't have a choice. What does it sound like in the house with all the windows closed? If you can't hear anything, I don't imagine it being a big deal. Scheduling showings during non-rush hour would be a good strategy.

Jacana

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2014, 05:45:45 AM »
As someone who likes to spend time outside and open all the windows, that would be a big deal to me. We just vetoed renting a house on Friday for that very reason. And I would not buy it. If that is normal in your area and people don't have a lot of options, it may not matter as much. But it may limit your pool of buyers/renters down the line. As for mitigating the noise, tall dense foliage along the wall would probably help too.

Heather in Ottawa

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2014, 08:48:14 PM »
not just noise... for your health, you might want to consider pollution. For example:
http://www.ehatlas.ca/air-pollution/case-study/urban-pollution

Frankies Girl

• Magnum Stache
  • Ghouls Just Wanna Have Funds!
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2014, 09:25:43 PM »
I lived about two blocks from a major freeway, and it was awful. Definitely forget about going out in your yard to putter around unless you don't mind the constant noise.

And if there is heavy traffic or detours, it could either force lots of traffic through your street, or make it very difficult to get out of your neighborhood.

It also could mean you're more susceptible to break-ins/thefts - due to the easy get-away. I was followed home from work one night and probably would have been robbed in my driveway if I hadn't been sitting in my car talking on the phone when they hopped out (they came up my driveway thinking they'd mug me getting out, realized I was on the phone and not exiting as they thought, and hopped right back in their car and sped off), and several neighbors had break-ins... and this was an upper middle class neighborhood. Cops said this was definitely due to the freeway system - even with alarms, they could grab anything valuable and be out of there and miles away before the cops were dispatched.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2014, 10:06:03 PM »
No, no, no! They call them incurable defects for a reason. Besides, adding in new windows and a water feature will be extra work and will eat up a good chunk of the $15k "savings". Plus, who wants to breathe all that crap coming from the road traffic? No, no, hell no!

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!