Author Topic: tracking list price, sale price of homes  (Read 1944 times)

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
tracking list price, sale price of homes
« on: January 15, 2018, 09:58:01 AM »
In anticipation of listing our home in ~6 months I've been paying a lot more attention to similar listings nearby.

One thing has stymied me - I can't find a good way of finding homes selling prices of homes that have already sold only homes that are still currently listed. Ideally I'd also like to see what houses were initially listed at and what they sold for.

Anyone know a good way of doing this?  Currently using www.realtor.ca and duproprio.com.  The latter shows prices of sold properties but not where they were, limiting its usefulness. Zillow is a no-go here, sadly.

coopdog

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: tracking list price, sale price of homes
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2018, 10:46:59 AM »
If you're are going to use a Realtor to sell the home, they can start sending you recent sales.

For a particular home, you can look it up on the County's property assessor website.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2018, 10:50:30 AM »
do you have an MLS style system like we have in the US - if so you could befriend a real estate agent and get them to give you all of the comps from the last few years- i just had our agent leave or search on from the last time we were looking for a house so i have zillow data and MLS data.  you may even be able to throw a realtor 100 bucks to just set you up for the area you want with the criteria you want for comps and let it fly. 

or thirdly dont pay a realtor just tell them you're looking for a house in xyz area that has the criteria you're looking for in comps(or better yet just have it send you all houses from a certain area and you can compare them yourself) they dont have to know you're not actually going to buy one.   tell them you're looking to buy in a year and just want to watch the market.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2018, 12:16:39 PM »
Thanks
TBH, the whole MLS/realtor system just pisses me off. It seems to exist only to protect an occupation (realtors) and make people too reliant on them.  Everything on there is public knowledge through muni-records but not easily compiled. Ergo, getting basic info like Comps is annoyingly hard when it should be very easy.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2018, 12:24:04 PM »
Thanks
TBH, the whole MLS/realtor system just pisses me off. It seems to exist only to protect an occupation (realtors) and make people too reliant on them.  Everything on there is public knowledge through muni-records but not easily compiled. Ergo, getting basic info like Comps is annoyingly hard when it should be very easy.

correct i share your distaste for the system - its old and outdated - you do not need a realtor to buy and sell homes anymore.

coopdog

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2018, 01:18:52 PM »

[/quote]

correct i share your distaste for the system - its old and outdated - you do not need a realtor to buy and sell homes anymore.
[/quote]

Unless you need to lie to one to get information from them.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2018, 01:26:55 PM »
yeah thats the point i shouldnt have to lie to get the information- its public record and should be easily accessible  the realtor/MLS lobbyist keep it locked down.  MLS is a shitty system that they just recently updated a bit to make it look better and more like zillow or something with a better gui.  luckily for the US zillow pulls most of this data and makes it readily available to us. 

coopdog

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2018, 02:04:14 PM »
MLS data is proprietary information compiled by the realtors for their benefit and the benefit of their clients- not the general public. My local MLS pays a third party provider (CRS Data) to populate the MLS with the public information from the property assessor.

Perhaps you should pay a provider for the public information just like the realtors do.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2018, 02:21:48 PM »

Perhaps you should pay a provider for the public information just like the realtors do.
which would be done how?

clarkfan1979

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2018, 04:08:02 PM »

which would be done how?

Some county websites provide comps. However, they do not provide listing price, only sales price.

I do my own list. I'm getting ready to buy. I probably add 1-2 listed properties each week that are consistent with my criteria.

I don't really like the MLS system. I think I know more than some of the realtors that I have worked with when buying. However, realtors still provide a high level of value for the typical masses.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2018, 04:10:11 PM by clarkfan1979 »

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2018, 04:31:19 PM »

which would be done how?

Some county websites provide comps. However, they do not provide listing price, only sales price.

I do my own list. I'm getting ready to buy. I probably add 1-2 listed properties each week that are consistent with my criteria.

Yeah, this is what I've been doing.  Was hoping for another way, but..

I don't really like the MLS system. I think I know more than some of the realtors that I have worked with when buying. However, realtors still provide a high level of value for the typical masses.
Sounds eerily similar to the arguments 'wealth-asset managers' use(d) for why the masses couldn't/shouldn't manage their own money.  This was particularly true back when it wasn't possible for an individual to buy/sell stocks, ETFs or index funds on their own.

Michael in ABQ

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2018, 05:26:52 PM »
MLS access costs money and that's probably the only source you'll be able to get that information. Find a real estate agent or appraiser who will send you the information. If you call a few and they all balk at it then offer them some cash. $50 or so is a small price to pay to get information that might save you thousands when you sell.

Penelope Vandergast

• Stubble
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2018, 01:56:20 PM »
Redfin.com and realtor.com give you this information in the U.S. (I think sometimes Zillow can provide info too.) How much you can see seems to depend on location -- in Boston Redfin.com gives a ton of useful info, including price reductions, time on market and so on. Realtor.com also sometimes provides this (though sometimes you kind of have to dig). In the midwestern state I live in now, Redfin does not provide as much info, at least not in the straightforward way they did in Boston.

In Canada, though -- I don't know!

Jesstache

• Stubble
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2018, 02:59:56 PM »
Do you have title companies where you are?  When we looked to sell our house fsbo a few years ago and we contacted a local title company about them doing the paper work and such and they sent us comps.