Author Topic: Total Home Cost Excel Calculator  (Read 4938 times)

RobertBirnie

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Total Home Cost Excel Calculator
« on: October 31, 2013, 01:26:47 AM »
Howdy,

I spent a few days working on an excel calculator that gives a more complete view of the costs of various living situations. I noticed that on the web the home calculators out there always seems to be missing some item that I wanted to include so it was hard to figure out exactly which home option was best. So I made an excel calculator that lets you build a handful of different home scenarios, I made room for 2 condo options (cheap/expensive), 2 home options, homes where you can rent out back houses, and just plain renting your own place rather than buying. I also tried to account for every expense I could think of within reason (HOA fees, maintenance, taxes, appreciation, insurance, interest, etc) and then build a full monthly amortization schedule.

I tried to colorize it to be more useful and everything is dynamic. Blue's can generally be edited and changed and will update the fields underneath. Reds do calculations. Greens are summary's.

Do you guys have any feedback on what would make this better? I'd love to work on improving it and make it more customizable to different situations. Can you find any of my mistakes? Hopefully the formulas are all right, I made it in excel and then uploaded to google docs, so somethings might have broken in translation. If you want the excel doc I can upload it too.

To edit, open and sign into google. Then hit File-> Make a Copy

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Apd2vut_QXv6dGJlWEM1SmpDWEVHNjdHN3pUY2pieXc&usp=sharing

KatieSSS

• Bristles
  • "Because of your badassity, babe!" - My GoudaMan
Re: Total Home Cost Excel Calculator
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2013, 02:57:27 PM »
This is really interesting. Thank you!

RobertBirnie

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2013, 05:44:46 PM »
At some point in the next couple weeks I'm going to redo this to use the same math as from this calculator: http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/business/buy-rent-calculator.html

That will make it a bit more accurate I think.

KatieSSS

• Bristles
  • "Because of your badassity, babe!" - My GoudaMan
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2013, 10:48:25 AM »
I'm interested in the buying vs. renting argument, so tools like this are a big help!

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!