Author Topic: To roof or not to roof  (Read 2144 times)

Workinghard

• Pencil Stache
To roof or not to roof
« on: February 02, 2014, 03:10:56 PM »
We're looking at selling our home in a few years. We had a roof inspection this year,  and there's no current problems. However, the house was built in 1997 and it's my understanding that it may be an issue if someone has to finance it. Based on estimates, a new roof is around 16k.

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
Re: To roof or not to roof
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2014, 03:20:31 PM »

Personally: I'd pass unless it had issues.

But take my advice with a grain of salt.  I almost never do work "for the next buyers."  I'll put a fresh coat of paint here or there before it goes on the market... but I tend to never make my maintenance and/or design decisions on what someone else would want.

Workinghard

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2014, 03:29:38 PM »
Yeah, I hate spending money if/when it's not necessary.  I was thinking if the roof was an issue at the time of inspection or sale, we could offer to split the cost and lower our price.

umterp1999

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2014, 04:12:36 PM »
I don't think it would be an issue.  Most roofs have a life expetency of 20 years minimum.

Milspecstache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2014, 09:30:28 PM »
I don't think it would be an issue.  Most roofs have a life expetency of 20 years minimum.

I think 20 is a good guess for most of the country but it also depends upon the area.  In the South or lower Midwest, 15 years might be a better guess based on the hotter sun damaging the shingles prematurely.

How do the shingles look?  Any curling up or waviness?  Any dips from bad plywood?

But I do agree that you will not get your money back from doing it ahead of time...  16k sounds like a very expensive roof.

Workinghard

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2014, 03:47:05 AM »
Everything looks good and we got a wind discount on our insurance after inspection. House is around 3000 sq FT. We bought it when we had 4+ foster children plus our son. I'm ready to downsize. Just waiting for dh's retirement.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!