Author Topic: To pool or not to pool?  (Read 1766 times)

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
To pool or not to pool?
« on: March 09, 2017, 06:31:06 PM »
I'm looking at houses for my primary residence. There's a couple of possibilities (per the listing at least) that have an above ground pool. I do not want a pool. I don't swim that much, don't want the maintenance, etc. I know this.

Question is - how hard is it to remove an above ground pool? Start to finish including disposal, with 1 weakling short female doing most or all of the work.

Also, what does removing a pool do, in general, to home values? Location is northwest Indiana.

Cpa Cat

• Handlebar Stache
Re: To pool or not to pool?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2017, 06:42:55 PM »
Have you asked your realtor about making an offer contingent on the seller removing the pool?

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2017, 06:51:41 PM »
Have you asked your realtor about making an offer contingent on the seller removing the pool?

Duh. Of course I should ask the realtor! No, I haven't, but will next time I see her.

YttriumNitrate

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2017, 12:40:13 AM »
When I moved to Northwest Indiana last year I looked at a couple houses with pools. From what I recall, above ground pools sell for a bit more than "free" on Craigslist in the area, so you probably won't have much trouble finding someone to tear it down and take it away. While the getting rid of the pool may be free, houses sometimes have some sort of deck that is shaped around the pool, and that would need to be modified.

As for the impact on house values I would guess either A) slightly positive but quickly offset by the maintenance & insurance, or B) negative and exacerbated by the maintenance & insurance.

MayDay

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2017, 04:34:19 AM »
Around here that would be negative, but as a PP mentioned, someone will probably haul it off for you. Just dealing with the mess left behind would be a pain worth knocking a few thousand off the price, though.

My SIL bought a house that used to have an above ground pool. They had to deal with removing the decking and then regrade and plant grass. I think there had been gravel pit down under the pool that they had to get rid of or put top soil over.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2017, 07:39:35 AM »
I like the "pool for $x, come take it apart and get it" idea!

Yeah, I understand the deck thing. I can deal though. I have specific needs for the house layout, so am willing to deal with other stuff if the house has the layout I need. To a point anyway.