Author Topic: Three story house- fire escape needed?  (Read 2395 times)

Neo

• Stubble
Three story house- fire escape needed?
« on: June 11, 2017, 08:07:47 PM »
Curious what the rules are where you own property. I have a 3-story building with a vacant unit on the 3rd floor. I have fixed the unit up and its ready for rent, but I am not clear what the rules are for egress in a 3rd story apartment. I'm continuing to research my local codes, but I'm curious what the rules are elsewhere. I am in Ohio FWIW.

Cwadda

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Three story house- fire escape needed?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2017, 08:36:09 AM »
Two means of egress here in CT. I think that's pretty standard. The best way to find out is to have the fire marshal come in and look around. They will make recommendations for fire security.

Neo

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2017, 08:37:44 AM »
When you say egress does that mean a window or does it have to be a way to the ground since its 3rd floor?

matchewed

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2017, 08:39:14 AM »
Also in CT and have started my real estate empire. You need two forms of egress and you may be able to grandfather in things which are not to code anymore. The fire escape I had in my last apartment was a 30% rust ladder bolted to the brick building with crumbling mortar...

My first purchase is a multifamily in the same city with two full interior staircases for egress (yay!).

Way to the ground. I would still verify with a fire marshal as Cwadda suggested.

Cwadda

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2017, 08:41:36 AM »
Also in CT and have started my real estate empire. You need two forms of egress and you may be able to grandfather in things which are not to code anymore. The fire escape I had in my last apartment was a 30% rust ladder bolted to the brick building with crumbling mortar...

My first purchase is a multifamily in the same city with two full interior staircases for egress (yay!).

Way to the ground. I would still verify with a fire marshal as Cwadda suggested.

Hey, which area(s) in CT do you buy? My first purchase was also a multi family with 2 interior staircases! Lol

matchewed

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2017, 08:50:23 AM »

Hey, which area(s) in CT do you buy? My first purchase was also a multi family with 2 interior staircases! Lol

I can't call myself a big investor quite yet. This one is my first. I'm in New Britain currently. You? Where have you staked your claim?

Sorry for the thread hijack Neo.

Neo

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2017, 08:51:02 AM »
No worries. Free bumps!

Cwadda

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2017, 09:00:51 AM »

I can't call myself a big investor quite yet. This one is my first. I'm in New Britain currently. You? Where have you staked your claim?

Hey, we're pretty close! I'm closing on a property in Manchester this Friday. This is also my first one. Maybe we can connect sometime because I'm also slowly building that real estate empire lol

matchewed

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2017, 09:08:07 AM »

Hey, we're pretty close! I'm closing on a property in Manchester this Friday. This is also my first one. Maybe we can connect sometime because I'm also slowly building that real estate empire lol

We should. I've had some luck with some contractors and some bad luck with others. It'd be good to work out some resources. I'll send you a PM w/ contact info.

Jon Bon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2017, 02:35:33 PM »
A fire ladder is like $50 bucks. Cheap peace of mind if you ask me.

Neo

• Stubble
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2017, 02:38:20 PM »
I totally agree. I just dont know if a fire ladder counts as egress.