Author Topic: Thinking of starting a property management business  (Read 3725 times)

Bearded Man

• Handlebar Stache
Thinking of starting a property management business
« on: June 28, 2015, 08:14:30 AM »
I'm considering starting a part time property management business. I manage several of my own rentals, and got to thinking: as passive as this is (I hardly ever get called) and as much as PM's charge on houses like these, I'd be making about 1K a month just by taking on 5 more properties. I could do this now or even as a "retirement job" when I retire.

So half of first months rent, then 10% of the rent for the months thereafter. I think since I could note than I'm an investor and own and manage my own rentals could be a good marketing/sales tactic. "I know how important your investment is and I will manage as well as I do my own..."

Thoughts? Should I get an LLC started, web site, etc.? It doesn't need to be a big add campaign, as all I need are 5 clients to produce the above income. I'm in Washington state in case there are any regulatory issues.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
Thinking of starting a property management business
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2015, 08:26:45 AM »
What's the requirements for your state?  In mine you need to be a broker or under one.  You can't just randomly manage other people's property because you want to.

I'd start with looking into that requirement.

EDIT: Yup. www.allpropertymanagement.com/propertylaw/property-management-law-in-washington.html
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

NoNonsenseLandlord

• Bristles
    • No Nonsense Landlord
Re: Thinking of starting a property management business
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2015, 08:31:50 AM »
Some states you need a Real Estate license.  If you have 5 properties, you probably have more than most managers.

If you only have one level of tenant class, you may be in for a surprise if you have to manage a low quality tenant building.

Bearded Man

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2015, 09:11:32 AM »
Yeah my state requires a RE license, but I wanted to get one anyways to become a Listing Agent. Maybe kill two birds with one stone.

powskier

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2015, 09:20:16 PM »
I have a friend who started his own PM. Everyone else does 10% fee off of collected rents, so he does 6% off collected rents but $500 fee for new tenant with a 12 month warranty. He points out that most of the "work" is in finding tenant, and undercutting the competition by 40% is note worthy. Good luck.
I believe becoming a real estate professional will also change your tax status as an RE investor, not fully clear on how but maybe worth considering.

Papa bear

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2015, 09:26:03 PM »
Ouch you sound pricey.  PM's locally in central Ohio are usually 7-9% gross rents, and those are experienced groups. 

Look into the tax implications if you do go the realtor route.  Your rentals may no longer be passive income if you are a real estate professional.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CashFlowDiaries

• Stubble
  • Follow me on my journey to Financial Freedom!
    • Cash Flow Diaries
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2015, 01:06:24 PM »
Honestly, if you think you can do good at it and keep your landlords/owners happy then go for it as long as you meet all the legal requirements of course.  Im going to send you a PM with a link of what I think are the most important qualities in a PM.  If you think you can provide that, then I would imagine you will be a better PM then most of them out there today.

tonysemail

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2015, 01:31:11 PM »
I was thinking about going this route too, but sadly, CA requires a broker's license to become a property manager.
Between the fees, classes, and 2 years apprenticeship under a licensed broker, it's getting a lot less attractive.

There appears to be an exemption for managing units on behalf of a HOA.
So maybe if there are condo units nearby, that could be another option.

wotan

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2015, 01:48:40 PM »
http://davidtilney.com/
all you will ever need to be a property manager

Bearded Man

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2015, 03:17:30 PM »
Some states you need a Real Estate license.  If you have 5 properties, you probably have more than most managers.

If you only have one level of tenant class, you may be in for a surprise if you have to manage a low quality tenant building.

I take it you meant multi family properties like four unit buildings? I'm looking at doing single family homes primarily. Houses in my area are ritzy, and a lot of the Jones' upgrade every few years leaving behind 500-700K houses that they keep but rent out to manage. A lot of them don't want the hassle, so I will gladly step in to manage the properties for a fee, even reducing it below market, since on a 2-3K monthly rent per house, you're still getting paid well...

Barnaby

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2015, 05:21:32 PM »
Can you manage properties without a broker's license if you don't collect the rent or list them? I'm thinking people would pay for you to be the person renters call if something goes wrong.