Author Topic: The mustachian dream house  (Read 3968 times)

Cyaphas

• Bristles
The mustachian dream house
« on: June 23, 2016, 05:57:24 PM »
I've never liked the clown houses being built all around me in the recent developements going up all over town. I'm curious to know what other mustachians think of as their dream home. What additions would you make?

Mine:

A couple of acres.

2 story with an A frame roof over. Perfectly pitched south facing roof for solar panels. Great room on 1st floor with open blacony to second floor and a lot of windows facing east for shaded yard in the evening when everyone is home. A nice fire place built on the east wall.

Attached shop essentially the western half of the home. I imagine the structure would look like a viking long house.

I've always wanted to do a 3rd or 4th story spire/look out, for a reading room. I suppose it would depend on where I built and the view I'd be building to see.

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
Re: The mustachian dream house
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2016, 01:01:05 PM »
So with both suites rented (upstairs 1650/month 3 bed 2 bath and downstairs suite 2 bed 1 bath 1200/month) I get paid 325 to live!!! also we have an amazing outdoor space so the 500 sqft feels even bigger. We plan to live here for a very longtime.

Nice. We'll get a little income shortly once we finish with our garage apartment (600 sqft) and move into it.

This is not illegal to do in my area as long as you get necessary permits and don't install an oven in the "3rd suite" (the rules here say that a suite is a suite when it has an oven)

It's all about sinks in my area. Sink in either the kitchen or bathroom -- it's an addition. Sink in both -- it's legally a separate living unit.

SimplyMarvie

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2016, 02:38:24 PM »
Couple of acres (by which I mean 5-10), access to a stream or lake.

Small cob and strawbale house, 2-3 bedrooms, one of which we'd probably make a bunk room with a big wrap around porch and lots of usable outdoor hanging out space including an outdoor kitchen. A true farmhouse kitchen as well -- by which I mean something with big sinks and a large table, opening onto the outside and actually created for cooking, storing and putting up food, not 'something shabby-chic that looks sexy in House Beautiful magazine')

Orchard. Big garden. Root cellar. Wine and beer aging space. Bee hives.

(Or maybe that's my current cabin planning for our land up in the mountains. You know, one or the other...)

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2016, 02:47:44 PM »
energy efficient home nicely sized on a lake.

iamlindoro

• Handlebar Stache
    • The Earth Awaits
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2016, 04:40:59 PM »
For us, at least at first, it looks like a different apartment every 6-12 months in different countries.  We will FIRE with a fairly decent income, but still want to be able to visit high cost of living cities and countries, so we may alternate costs of living to allow us to explore those: Southeast Asia -> Australia -> Mexico -> Scotland, etc.

Because of the transient nature of that lifestyle, we're likely to be renters for a very long time in FIRE, perhaps forever.  We'll want to be in city centers with very good access to public transportation.  We hope not to own a vehicle (though renting to visit outside of the city for short periods is a possibility).  In very low COL countries, those apartments may have a lot of amenities.  In high COL countries, things are likely to be more modest.  We're pretty adaptable, and it's really the opportunity to learn, live, and explore that we most look forward to.

iamlindoro

• Handlebar Stache
    • The Earth Awaits
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2016, 05:12:15 PM »
You're living my dream life! Can't do it with a dog but possible in North America for sure but generally more expensive than other countries as well as harder to find short term rentals here that allow dogs.

To be fair, we're not doing it yet!  It's just the goal. 

We have two dogs also (9 and 5 years old) and with any luck one or both will still be around when we FIRE. We've discussed starting in Mexico to spare them a plane trip, or we might just say "what the heck" and figure something out further away that allows for them.  We're definitely ok with being flexible to stick together.  We all currently live in a one bedroom condo and manage, so I'm optimistic about taking our time and finding places to stay in our travels.

SimplyMarvie

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2016, 03:20:56 PM »
For us, at least at first, it looks like a different apartment every 6-12 months in different countries.  We will FIRE with a fairly decent income, but still want to be able to visit high cost of living cities and countries, so we may alternate costs of living to allow us to explore those: Southeast Asia -> Australia -> Mexico -> Scotland, etc.

Change out 6-12 months for 2-3 years, and that's basically my pre-FIRE life. It's just that work mostly decides where we go and when we go there (although we have some input). :)

I am SO looking forward to parking our butts mostly in one place in retirement. Traveling is a really different experience when you don't have a home to come home to... not good-different or bad-different, though. Just legitimately different-different. :)

Cyaphas

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2016, 04:41:29 PM »

I agree with you. You description is VERY similar to the house I own. I have a two story A-frame with a wall of windows on the east looking out into the woods. I don't have solar panels and the workshop is a detached small barn but it is on 3 acres with a river on the border.

That sounds relaly nice. You ever do any fishing in that river?

Cyanne

• Stubble
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2016, 06:27:33 PM »

I agree with you. You description is VERY similar to the house I own. I have a two story A-frame with a wall of windows on the east looking out into the woods. I don't have solar panels and the workshop is a detached small barn but it is on 3 acres with a river on the border.

That sounds relaly nice. You ever do any fishing in that river?

No. I can't eat fish due to an allergy but many others fish there. There is a trout stream that empties into the river about 500 ft north of our property.

The only downside is it is not a great commute for my husband but we can't get anything comparable near his office.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2016, 06:30:27 PM by Cyanne »

adamcollin

• Stubble
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2016, 02:17:19 AM »
Cyaphas, that’s a nice idea.

scrubbyfish

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2016, 02:57:35 AM »
The one I'm in :)

~500sq feet, self-contained, no one above or below, no basement, simple and pretty, lots of natural light, naturally "air conditioned", well-built, in great shape, easy to clean, sparsely but comfortably furnished, electric heat and stove, no work to do or costs to crop up, set in a quiet park, neighbours and natural water and other nature all around, everything within walking distance, all weather variations, nice groovy people around, $500 all inclusive.

gardeningandgreen

• Bristles
    • Gardening and Green
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2016, 11:40:46 AM »
My ideal house would be a passive haus on 5-10 acres somewhere closeish to people. We want to be able to travel but a home base that has very little maintenances and little heating cost(in the upper Midwest) would be perfect!