Author Topic: Termite Fumigation and clay tile roofing?  (Read 398 times)

jeromedawg

• Walrus Stache
Termite Fumigation and clay tile roofing?
« on: September 20, 2021, 12:25:32 PM »
Hi all,

Got a couple quotes for fumigation (swarmers/wings found in the attic and behind a wall in the garage - droppings found in one area on the side).  The roof is all Spanish clay tiles - former owners had roof work done last year to address a leak and this included replacing a bunch of clay tiles that were previously broken. They pulled up all the tiles to put new underlayment, membrane, etc down and then reinstalled the original unbroken and new tiles. The second termite company I got a quote from usually warranties up to 50 tiles but after the guy looked the roof he was basically saying he wasn't going to offer it because the roof is "too delicate" and they very likely would break more than 50 tiles - in light of that, I think he was saying that the pricing for fumigation would just cost less. It is definitely lower cost than the first quote we received (which doesn't warrant tile breakage either), so I'm inclined to go with them.  The roofing contractor who did the roof told me that for each tile he has to replace it would cost $18~. So at a minimum, if these guys are telling me they're going to be breaking more than 50 tiles, that's already a *minimum* of $900 of additional cost

They quoted just under $2300 for the fumigation job. But in reality this could end up costing $4000-5000 if they end up breaking a lot of tiles

Any suggestions on how to proceed? Just suck it up? Are there better options/alternatives here?
« Last Edit: September 20, 2021, 12:59:11 PM by jeromedawg »

jeromedawg

• Walrus Stache
Re: Termite Fumigation and clay tile roofing?
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2021, 02:24:04 PM »
Ugh, I just found out that the company subcontracts the fumigation work out to another company. I looked that other company up on Yelp and there's a recent review from an unhappy customer who reported roof damage to... a clay tile roof :T

Guess I'll be contacting another company at this rate