Author Topic: The Essential Spreadsheet  (Read 2904 times)

Bourbon

• Bristles
The Essential Spreadsheet
« on: March 12, 2014, 08:37:52 PM »
Does it exist?  Is there a list of key metrics that Mustachians semi-agree are the right ones to look at?

I'm currently renting out our previous home, and I realize that is not always the perfect investment property.  For now it got it rented with cash flow with a stable multi-year tenant with positive cash flow.  I'm interested in retro-reviewing the rent I am getting to see if it is even close to a property I should buy for an investment.

Currently picked up 2 years to a Million and Building Wealth One House at a Time, and thanks to a bought of strep had a little extra time to start reading.  The calculations Martinez is using seem valid, but do you recommend starting a spreadsheet from scratch? I'm sure there are some available for purchase but is there one here that is passed around?

I'm hoping to begin purchasing later this year or early in the next.  I've touched base with a local wholesaler, but want to be prepared to evaluate the deals quickly so I can move on them appropriately.

Thanks for any help!

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
Re: The Essential Spreadsheet
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2014, 07:06:26 AM »
It depends on what you are trying to calculate.

Fix and flip?  (In which you'll need stuff like rehab costs, various holding costs, etc.)  Buy and hold?  (In which you'll need something like rental rates, vacancy rates, taxes, insurance, etc.)  Mortgages involved, hard money involved, other or no financing involved? 

What metrics are you tracking?

I think it's helpful to create your own, but I will say that these two are great places to start.

Rehab: http://www.biggerpockets.com/files/user/JasonScott/file/13-rehab-analysis-spreadsheet---basic
Buy and Hold: http://www.biggerpockets.com/files/user/JasonScott/file/20-sfh-rental-analysis

They're a start, but like I said, what are you trying to calculate?  I never just use a spreadsheet, but heavily tweak it.  Hope those help get you started though!  :)

EDIT: Uploaded here also in case it's no longer available there at some point in the future, but all credit goes to J Scott over at BiggerPockets for those spreadsheets.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2014, 07:17:55 AM by arebelspy »
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!